Red Bull New York

MrHarrison

Red Bull buys MetroStars, renames team

March 9, 2006

NEW YORK (Ticker) - The MetroStars never reached the championship game in their first 10 Major League Soccer seasons. Now their history is but a memory.

Energy-drink manufacturer Red Bull Company Limited purchased the MetroStars on Thursday from the Anschutz Entertainment Group and renamed the team "Red Bull New York," effective immediately.

In addition, Red Bull agreed to partner with AEG on the construction of the team's soccer-specific stadium in Harrison, New Jersey.

As part of the agreement, approved by the MLS Board of Governors on Thursday morning, Red Bull purchased naming rights to the new stadium. Red Bull will own half of the new stadium, with AEG responsible for constructing, managing and booking.

Financial terms were not disclosed, but the Daily News on Tuesday said the deal could reach at least $50 million.

"The addition of Red Bull into our group of owners is a landmark moment for Major League Soccer and for all Tri-State area soccer fans," MLS commissioner Don Garber said. "Red Bull founder Dietrich Mateschitz brings international credibility and proven, innovative marketing expertise to Major League Soccer."

The company also owns an Austrian club, Red Bull Salzburg, which it has transformed into one of the leading teams in the country's first division.

Guest Town Resident
Red Bull buys MetroStars, renames team

March 9, 2006

NEW YORK (Ticker) - The MetroStars never reached the championship game in their first 10 Major League Soccer seasons. Now their history is but a memory.

Energy-drink manufacturer Red Bull Company Limited purchased the MetroStars on Thursday from the Anschutz Entertainment Group and renamed the team "Red Bull New York," effective immediately.

In addition, Red Bull agreed to partner with AEG on the construction of the team's soccer-specific stadium in Harrison, New Jersey.

As part of the agreement, approved by the MLS Board of Governors on Thursday morning, Red Bull purchased naming rights to the new stadium. Red Bull will own half of the new stadium, with AEG responsible for constructing, managing and booking.

Financial terms were not disclosed, but the Daily News on Tuesday said the deal could reach at least $50 million.

"The addition of Red Bull into our group of owners is a landmark moment for Major League Soccer and for all Tri-State area soccer fans," MLS commissioner Don Garber said. "Red Bull founder Dietrich Mateschitz brings international credibility and proven, innovative marketing expertise to Major League Soccer."

The company also owns an Austrian club, Red Bull Salzburg, which it has transformed into one of the leading teams in the country's first division.

I would hope all NJ residents will boycott the Red Bulls of New York. It's a slap in the face to Harrison and to all of NJ for the Red Bulls to insult and disrespect the state. If they want to be called Red Bulls of New York, let New Yorkers support them.

Guest Guest
I would hope all NJ residents will boycott the Red Bulls of New York. It's a slap in the face to Harrison and to all of NJ for the Red Bulls to insult and disrespect the state. If they want to be called Red Bulls of New York, let New Yorkers support them.

pete higgins thinks it still great though!!! as he is quoted in the star ledger. WAKE up TAXPAYERS we are still getting fuc^ed either way.

:P Who do they think they are? They want their team to play in NJ and we have to call them Red Bulls of NY!!! Screw them ! Traders!! They are nothing but back stabbers. The good people of NJ fought to get them here and they just slap us in the face! BOYCOTT!

Guest HHS Alum

I've got a question.

How financially stable are the MetroStars and the MLS as a whole? If the town is going to be on the hook for $40 million, I think we need to be assured that the league is going to be around in 10 years. From yesterday's Ledger:

"Harrison will secure those bonds with tax payments from future development near the stadium."

What if the league folds, or the team moves, and then the town has an empty stadium, and a big bill to pay.

Guest Angry Taxpayer
I've got a question. 

How financially stable are the MetroStars and the MLS as a whole? If the town is going to be on the hook for $40 million, I think we need to be assured that the league is going to be around in 10 years. From yesterday's Ledger:

"Harrison will secure those bonds with tax payments from future development near the stadium."

What if the league folds, or the team moves, and then the town has an empty stadium, and a big bill to pay.

This Red Bull outfit is in it for profit obviously. If they can't make a profit they'll bail out. Calling themselves Red Bulls New York will not endear themselves to NJ fans. I'm not convinced this stadium will be a success. I share your concern about Harrison borrowing all this money. I think this mayor and council want to be big-time players, but they forget Harrison is a square-mile town with 12-14,000 residents. Borrowing against future unknown income is risky, but hell, they don't have to repay it. The residents will just have to dig a little deeper into their pockets.

One of the first issues I am willing to discuss is what we can do as a group to make our voices heard about this stadium. I have mixed feelings about the Soccer stadium. The following issues bother me about the stadium:

1. No case study has been done on what affect the stadium will have on traffic.

2. No case study has been done on what financial and physical burdens the town will face having 20,000 people at a game.

3. I believe it doesn't make business sense to spend $40 million to purchase and de-contaminate a property, just to hand it over to a developer, with tax abatement. After all it's the tax payers of Harrison who are responsible for this debt.

A probable solution would be:

Start a petition to postpone this stadium from being built, until some of these questions have been answered publicly.

Your Participation to The Friends of Harrison P.A.C. is necessary, please call. All calls will be kept confidential if requested.

One of the first issues I am willing to discuss is what we can do as a group to make our voices heard about this stadium.  I have mixed feelings about the Soccer stadium.  The following issues bother me about the stadium:

1. No case study has been done on what affect the stadium will have on traffic.

2. No case study has been done on what financial and physical burdens the town will face having 20,000 people at a game.

3. I believe it doesn't make business sense to spend $40 million to purchase and de-contaminate a property, just to hand it over to a developer, with tax abatement.  After all it's the tax payers of Harrison who are responsible for this debt.

A probable solution would be:

Start a petition to postpone this stadium from being built, until some of these questions have been answered publicly.

Your Participation to The Friends of Harrison P.A.C. is necessary, please call.  All calls will be kept confidential if requested.

What's the number?

Guest 2smart4u
What's the number?

I think it's too late for that. The time for petitions was when it was first announced. The $40,000,000 has been borrowed, contracts have been signed, box seats have been assigned to the mayor and council, the fat lady has sung.

Guest Angry Town Resident
What's the number?

You're a little late to be talking about petitions. If the taxpayers of Harrison had any b-lls this would have never gotten off the ground. The mayor borrowed $40,000,000 without a referendum and there wasn't a peep out of anyone. If a large crowd of people had showed up at the council meetings demanding a halt to this stadium project, it would have been halted.

The mayor and council think the residents are sheep and they take advantage of that fact. I've said this before, only in Harrison could you build a stadium, 7,000 housing units, take the school stadium away from the kids, borrow 40, 50, 60 million dollars, and do it all without voter input. The residents of Harrison don't realize this, but it is unheard of in NJ and probably anywhere else.

I can understand Harrison's large imigrant population, who in their home countries did not dare question their government, behaving the same way here. But how do you understand this meek behavior from the rest of us, the residents who were born here. Why do we allow this mayor and council to destroy this town with over-building, over-crowding and over-spending. Maybe the mayor is right, we are all sheep.

Guest Guest

HARRISON - Local officials and Red Bull representatives say the $100 million sale of the team won't affect construction of the soccer stadium, which Mayor Raymond J. McDonough says is expected to begin by Aug. 15.

WORK FAST PEOPLE

Angry Town Resident, 2smart4u, & MrHarrison, if you don't give it a shot, then stop complaining. What I did, putting my name on the line was took guts. No one in Harrison has shown me much. Neither one of you have tried to contact me.

The county has not passed this yet. In an election year, a petition seems to be stronger.

Guest Petition!!!

Hey Mr. Michael

The Harrison Town Council and the Harrison Re-Development Board with co-operation of the Hudson County Improvement Authority is heavily promoting the construction of a newSoccer Stadium. This is being done with Advanced Reality Group; it is slated to be built south of interstate Route 280, within the re-development zone. Under the current plan being pushed hard by the Town & the County, the new stadium would cost $160-million. Harrison Taxpayers would bear the burden of 100% responsibility to purchase the land and clean the contamination. The town will raise approximately $40 million, through the sale of general obligation bonds, to fund land acquisition, environmental remediation, capitalized interest, related redevelopment expenses and transactional costs. The plan so far does not mention how much money will be needed for site preparation (cleaning of contamination), road (bridges, new off ramps road expansions, etc.) and for utility improvements and extra fire, police, Emergency services and jail space. Furthermore, only supplying a 1,500 space parking garage for a 20,000-25,000 seat stadium will create a nightmare for not only for the residence, but commuters who use Harrison to board mass transit.

We the Harrison citizens & Business owners believe that any team owner(s) should pay for their own stadium and the property in which it’s built on. The town/county would have enough added expenses to handle such a crowd. We demand that there be no general obligation bonds, backed by the tax payers, spent on a Soccer stadium in Harrison. We should also demand that there be a vote held for any proposed tax increases levied to pay for a stadium, any new bonds the town might try to sell for the stadium or owner(s) of the team.

Can we use this to start a petition?

Archived