We have a major snow strom. Where is D.P.W.?????

Guest Guest

Guest Concerned
:lol: The Kearny DPW was in force as of 9pm Saturday night. And their main priority was to make sure all of the main roads were plowed and salted, before they could finish one area it was covered again. I had the unfortunate job of driving through town yesterday around 4pm and I found that ALL of the major streets were clean. Today is another day, and I am sure that your street and mine will be cleaned. You people make me laugh, you complain when they don't plow and when they do, you complain that they plowed you in and you have to shovel your way out. There is no pleasing you I don't have a driveway so I park on the street, it wasn't easy but I managed to shovel out my vehicle and find a spot to shovel out when I came home. And another important factor, when they do plow some people who shovel out their cars throw the snow back into the street, covering it again, so it is a continuos cycle. GIVE THE DPW A BREAK!!!!!

Where is D.P.W.?  I live on a hill with no way out. No D.P.W. in site.

This town is a joke... The streets are deplorable. The surrounding towns all have their act together, and are removing the snow... Where are our taxes going???? We see the DPW trucks riding up and down the streets blowing their horns at people they know, but what about removing the damn snow....

Where is D.P.W.?  I live on a hill with no way out. No D.P.W. in site.

Let's see, we only got 22 inches of snow, and you live on the only hill in town. Kearny is all hills, give them time, they'll get there. I've been in all the surrounding towns, Kearny is as good, or better, then most.

Let's see, we only got 22 inches of snow, and you live on the only hill in town. Kearny is all hills, give them time, they'll get there. I've been in all the surrounding towns, Kearny is as good, or better, then most.

Go south of Bergen Ave. and try to park or get across the streets, then come back here and post.

Guest guest 109

Better than most?. Have you seen Kearny Ave. Bellgrove Dr. these used to be cleared curb to curb How are people supposed to get out of a car to shop on the Ave.?Santos is afraid to tow cars Why? East Newark did a better job. Yeah we had alot of snow but do you remember 1994 , 1995, 6 or 7 major storms ?. Taxes keep going up and services keep going down. Time for a change?

On my way to work yesterday, I drove through many streets in town, the DPW did apretty good job, if you take into consideration that on evry street some people shoveled out the cars and threw the snow in the street making a mess again, yes, there were some streets that were still bad, but how many employees and snow removal vehicles do you think the DPW has. They work 12 hour shifts, at night then come in for the day shift and back again at night if the roads get slippery.

So if you want the job done right the first time stop throwing snow into the street and give them time to each street. Because, I'll make you a bet that if Kmart was giving away free merchandise, you would all make sure you got there snow filled street or not!! :rolleyes: So, I suggest a little patience and be more tolerant with the snow removal crews and everyone will be HAPPY :P

Guest Moron Towing
On my way to work yesterday, I drove through many streets in town, the DPW did apretty good job, if you take into consideration that on evry street some people shoveled out the cars and threw the snow in the street making a mess again, yes, there were some streets that were still bad, but how many employees and snow removal vehicles do you think the DPW has. They work 12 hour shifts, at night then come in for the day shift and back again at night if the roads get slippery.

So if you want the job done right the first time stop throwing snow into the street and give them time to each street. Because, I'll make you a bet that if Kmart was giving away free merchandise, you would all make sure you got there snow filled street or not!! :rolleyes: So, I suggest a little patience and be more tolerant with the snow removal crews and everyone will be HAPPY :P

What happened on Kearny Avenue? I've been in town for 62 years and I've never seen the Avenue abandoned like it was during this storm. Years ago the police, plows, dump trucks and tow trucks were lined up, kicking ass, clearing the Ave.

This year, the 1st, there were cars just abandoned and covered with snow or people digging out their own spaces and making mountains of snow between the cars. Created a real parking mess. What happened????????

Guest Kearny Resident

Sorry Frankie, But I have lived in Kearny all my adult life. The side streets in Kearny NEVER EVER get plowed. I understand what you say about people throwing it in the streets, I see it myself. But the only way we are getting rid of this snow is to wait for Spring. Yes Patience is what we all need. Spring is coming. I am really disgusted with how the town cleans up. Otherwise the rest of the year the Street Cleaners are running looking for people to ticket on Street Cleaning days, Maybe they should honor street cleaning days with the snow, and pick up a street or two a day. This would get rid of the snow. But NO the town is too lazy to do this, TOO MUCH WORK!! MAYBE THEY WOULD ACTUALLY BE DOING SOMETHING TO EARN THE MONEY THEY MAKE. Have a Great Day!!

I have lived in town for over 50yrs. in for all those years there was always

NO PARKING WHEN COVERED WITH SNOW signs and people obeyed them.

The town always did street to curb removal because there were NO CARS, last year if you remember they tried to do as usual, ticketed and towed the cars that ignorant people left on the street disregarding the posted signs. Well they put up such a stink that the mayor gave them all their money back, this year the DPW was told no street to curb. For all those years that this practice has been going on, you mean to tell me that no residents complained? sure they did, but TOO BAD

you read the sign when you parked there and now you have to be responsible for the consequences, but that was when everyone had knowledge of what went on in this town, so don't be so quick to blame the guys that remove the snow, they can only do what they are allowed to do. Go to a council meeting and ask why?

You want to increase my taxes and skimp on the services, is that right ? Just remember that it is the workers that get all the flack not the council , who makes the rules. :rolleyes:

So if you want the job done right the first time stop throwing snow into the street and give them time to each street. Because, I'll make you a bet that if Kmart was giving away free merchandise, you would all make sure you got there snow filled street or not!! :rolleyes: So, I suggest a little patience and be more tolerant with the snow removal crews and everyone will be HAPPY :lol:

Sorry Frankie, But I have lived in Kearny all my adult life. The side streets in Kearny NEVER EVER get plowed. I understand what you say about people throwing it in the streets, I see it myself. But the only way we are getting rid of this snow is to wait for Spring. Yes Patience is what we all need. Spring is coming. I am really disgusted with how the town cleans up. Otherwise the rest of the year the Street Cleaners are running looking for people to ticket on Street Cleaning days, Maybe they should honor street cleaning days with the snow, and pick up a street or two a day. This would get rid of the snow. But NO the town is too lazy to do this, TOO MUCH WORK!! MAYBE THEY WOULD ACTUALLY BE DOING SOMETHING TO EARN THE MONEY THEY MAKE. Have a Great Day!!

:P 1st do you want change? if so why did you vote for santos! 2nd you are right i was born in kearny in 55 and spent most of my young life in kearny! it has not changed as far as snow removal! but i think back in 61 or 62 the town got this BIG TRUCK MOUNTED SNOW THROWER! what a joke" for the next 5 to 10 years it did not snow more than 1/2 inches and the thing rotted away in bibs junk yard!!! and ray catina got this ww2 half track" he had it all painted up and wanted to plow the streets with it and the DMV said no way! thats kearny!!!! :lol:

On many of the side streets, people dug out their cars and driveways and threw the snow into the street. The streets were plowed but the snow returned magically after the storm ceased. I saw this several times (Hoyt St by the church, most of Chestnut St south of Bergen, Windsor St to name a few).

I seem to remember that last year the town did the snow removal operation on the main streets and many people complained because they felt the storm wasn't bad enough to justify removing the cars and the town had to reimburse those that were towed. Anyone know more about this?

Also, I noticed that many fire hydrants were buried, not just by the snowfall itself but by people throwing snow over them and almost completely hiding them. I believe there is a town ordinance that requires the home/building owner to keep the hydrants clear. BTW-What happened to the marker poles on the hydrants to make them easier to find in the snow?

Throwing snow into the street, keeping hydrants clear, clearing the sidewalk within 24 hours are all town ordinances and need to be enforced. How many or us have walked the sidewalk, even on the main streets, and had to negotiate ice covered sidewalks 3 or more days after the storm. Solar powered snow removal does not count.

On many of the side streets, people dug out their cars and driveways and threw the snow into the street.  The streets were plowed but the snow returned magically after the storm ceased.  I saw this several times (Hoyt St by the church, most of Chestnut St south of Bergen, Windsor St to name a few). 

I seem to remember that last year the town did the snow removal operation on the main streets and many people complained because they felt the storm wasn't bad enough to justify removing the cars and the town had to reimburse those that were towed.  Anyone know more about this?

Also, I noticed that many fire hydrants were buried, not just by the snowfall itself but by people throwing snow over them and almost completely hiding them.  I believe there is a town ordinance that requires the home/building owner to keep the hydrants clear.  BTW-What happened to the marker poles on the hydrants to make them easier to find in the snow?

Throwing snow into the street, keeping hydrants clear, clearing the sidewalk within 24 hours are all town ordinances and need to be enforced.  How many or us have walked the sidewalk, even on the main streets, and had to negotiate ice covered sidewalks 3 or more days after the storm.  Solar powered snow removal does not count.

Give the snow removal to Cali, He has everything else, And the job

will get done right.

This new super(Kerr) of public works is a joke, What has he done, Get rid of him!

So if you want the job done right the first time stop throwing snow into the street and give them time to each street. Because, I'll make you a bet that if Kmart was giving away free merchandise, you would all make sure you got there snow filled street or not!! B) So, I suggest a little patience and be more tolerant with the snow removal crews and everyone will be HAPPY B)

wrong!!! The side streets get plowed, but they are not priorities. The hills and the main streets are done during the storm, then the side streets are done. Every street in kearny was plowed and salted before noon monday. They would have stayed clear if idiots didn't throw snow back into the streets. Before you speak, you should know what you're talking about. Oh by the way, we can't honor the street sweeping signs and plow streets curb to curb because when we do, everyone cries to town hall that we are plowing in their driveways. Can't have your cake and eat it. As far as Kearny Ave., we were as ready as ever to remove snow curb to curb. We didn't make the decision not to tow. remember last year when the cars were towed and money was refunded to everyone who cried. This year, all the illegal parkers got away with disregarding the signs. Don't blame the DPW for that, not our call. Further, yes, you will be ticketed if you don't move for the street sweeper. Why? Because you are parked illegally. Get over it and learn to read the signs.

Guest S snow removal

I own a snow removal business and work at the same time as the DPW every storm. You people B**ch an awful lot only to go throw snow back in the streets. If the mayor wasnt a chicken shit he would tow the cars like he is supposed to. The DPW was out in full force minus one member and that was the town administraitors fault. Just ask him why. They do the best they can but when snow falls at a rate of 1-4 inches an hour, even super man couldnt keep the streets cleaned. Why dont next time we have a snow storm, all you people who are sitting home cozy and warm, take a snow shovel and shovel your whole square block when it accumilates one inch. I bet when you get back to your home it is covered again. B)) SO unless you can do it better, DONT COMPLAIN!

I own a snow removal business and work at the same time as the DPW every storm.  You people B**ch an awful lot only to go throw snow back in the streets.  If the mayor wasnt a chicken shit he would tow the cars like he is supposed to.  The DPW was out in full force minus one member and that was the town administraitors fault.  Just ask him why.  They do the best they can but when snow falls at a rate of 1-4 inches an hour, even super man couldnt keep the streets cleaned.  Why dont next time we have a snow storm, all you people who are sitting home cozy and warm, take a snow shovel and shovel your whole square block when it accumilates one inch.  I bet when you get back to your home it is covered again. B))  SO unless you can do it better, DONT COMPLAIN!

Nice try, but why is it that other towns are doing snow removal? The storm is over, it's not falling 1-4 inches an hour anymore and hasn't been for days, but the snow is still sitting in the same spot. Blocking in cars, driveways, making it impossible to cross the street, slippery....

I own a snow removal business and work at the same time as the DPW every storm.  You people B**ch an awful lot only to go throw snow back in the streets.  If the mayor wasnt a chicken shit he would tow the cars like he is supposed to.  The DPW was out in full force minus one member and that was the town administraitors fault.  Just ask him why.  They do the best they can but when snow falls at a rate of 1-4 inches an hour, even super man couldnt keep the streets cleaned.  Why dont next time we have a snow storm, all you people who are sitting home cozy and warm, take a snow shovel and shovel your whole square block when it accumilates one inch.  I bet when you get back to your home it is covered again. B))  SO unless you can do it better, DONT COMPLAIN!

Hey brain why do we pay taxes??

Give the snow removal to Cali, He has everything else, And the job

will get done right.

This new super(Kerr) of public works is a joke, What has he done, Get rid of him!

Who are you to throw the blame on G.Kerr, do you know what kind of a mess this man wlked into ? Well let me tell you this town needs a man like Mr. Kerr he has the right stuff for this job, if only the DPW workers do what they are suppose to.There is an old saying "GUILT BY ASSOCIATION" I don't think that the blame should go to the DPW they only do what they are told to do , and we all know who makes that call (The Town Hall ) so stop throwing stones at the wrong people,let these men do what they can and hope that they will be able to do alot more. A horse does his tricks better when you give him sugar instead of a rotten apple!!! :P

I own a snow removal business and work at the same time as the DPW every storm.  You people B**ch an awful lot only to go throw snow back in the streets.  If the mayor wasnt a chicken shit he would tow the cars like he is supposed to.  The DPW was out in full force minus one member and that was the town administraitors fault.  Just ask him why.  They do the best they can but when snow falls at a rate of 1-4 inches an hour, even super man couldnt keep the streets cleaned.  Why dont next time we have a snow storm, all you people who are sitting home cozy and warm, take a snow shovel and shovel your whole square block when it accumilates one inch.  I bet when you get back to your home it is covered again. :P)  SO unless you can do it better, DONT COMPLAIN!

BRAVO!! :D This is the kind of praise I am talking about, only someone who does this for a living would know how hard it is to keep the streets clear. And if he saw the DPW out then so did alot of you

Archived