Kearny Rec Department

Guest Hockey Parent

Guest Hockey Parent

The only Recreation sport taking place at this time is Street Hockey, yet the Rec Department couldn't find the time to shovel the snow down in the Hockey rink, plow the parking lot or shovel the walkway to the rink. Now the league has to finish up after the New Year when it was supposed to finish before Xmas. The kids went 3 weeks without playing a game all because of lazieness. I don't mind having it end when it is, but it is absolutely unnecessary. What am I paying taxes for? When a parent went down to check on the status of the rink he found one of the Rec momo's sleeping in his pickup in the parking lot and a couple other guys riding around on the grass on the other side of the rink doing nothing at all to fix the problem. They did throw salt on top of the 6 inches of snow in the parking lot so I can't say that they did nothing.....what are they retarded? Calling the Rec Department to complain would do me no good because as I have found in other sports, the pothead will blame it on the other one and vice versa. People will argue that the rink couldn't be plowed because it would ruin the surface but the rink is going to be ripped up in the summer anyway because it wasn't put in right in the first place. Even if plowing wasn't an option, whatever happened to actually earning your money for a living and getting out there with plastic shovels that won't scratch the surface and actually shoveling? I know.....why don't I do it myself if I am so concerned but I actually work for a living and take care of my own business during the hours of 9 to 5 and I don't need to be doing work for people who use my tax money as their salary. My hat goes off to Tony Guveia for running a great program down there and having to put up with dealing with the town's BS. Tony does an incredible job of running the street hockey league with nothing but the best intentions for the kids in mind.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only Recreation sport taking place at this time is Street Hockey, yet the Rec Department couldn't find the time to shovel the snow down in the Hockey rink, plow the parking lot or shovel the walkway to the rink. Now the league has to finish up after the New Year when it was supposed to finish before Xmas. The kids went 3 weeks without playing a game all because of lazieness. I don't mind having it end when it is, but it is absolutely unnecessary. What am I paying taxes for? When a parent went down to check on the status of the rink he found one of the Rec momo's sleeping in his pickup in the parking lot and a couple other guys riding around on the grass on the other side of the rink doing nothing at all to fix the problem. They did throw salt on top of the 6 inches of snow in the parking lot so I can't say that they did nothing.....what are they retarded? Calling the Rec Department to complain would do me no good because as I have found in other sports, the pothead will blame it on the other one and vice versa. People will argue that the rink couldn't be plowed because it would ruin the surface but the rink is going to be ripped up in the summer anyway because it wasn't put in right in the first place. Even if plowing wasn't an option, whatever happened to actually earning your money for a living and getting out there with plastic shovels that won't scratch the surface and actually shoveling? I know.....why don't I do it myself if I am so concerned but I actually work for a living and take care of my own business during the hours of 9 to 5 and I don't need to be doing work for people who use my tax money as their salary. My hat goes off to Tony Guveia for running a great program down there and having to put up with dealing with the town's BS. Tony does an incredible job of running the street hockey league with nothing but the best intentions for the kids in mind.

Tell the Mayor to put a melting machine in the shed right next to the zambonie. I'm sure if you ask D'Arco he will see that the Hockey rink is the first thing cleared. Then the momo's can start the side walks and streets. 9to5 man you got bankers hours you should go with some of your activist friends and clean the surface your selves. And didn't they tear up that surface twice already? How many time does it take to get it right?

Tell the Mayor to put a melting machine in the shed right next to the zambonie. I'm sure if you ask D'Arco he will see that the Hockey rink is the first thing cleared. Then the momo's can start the side walks and streets. 9to5 man you got bankers hours you should go with some of your activist friends and clean the surface your selves. And didn't they tear up that surface twice already? How many time does it take to get it right?

:blink: 1st please keep this problem on this site not alumni! and why do you think anything is going to get better in kearny with santos as mayor? and why not get the job done and then bill santos for it! yah hey will not pay it but you can use it to prove how bad a job he is doing and recall him!!!!!!you had a chance to clean house and the town did nothing to "FIX THE PROBLEMS" and if you think its going to get better with santos as mayor i have some good fla bottom land for sale!!!!but hey im sure you can use the workout cleaning the track your self!!!! <_<

Ok pothead !

Hey why don't you go clean the snow off. Get involved and become a comunity again. Then if it proves to be a hardship go to a council meeting and demand they hire more workers. That's what the problem is, there isn't enough workers. You should be asking where are the supervisors don't they see what is going on. tell them to stop doing scratch offs and get out and see if assignments are being done. Can't see what employees are doing from the back of the dpw garage.

Guest Guest_Tom Hakim_*

WHO AM I TALKING TOO ,LEAVE YOUR NAME ON SITE.,FIRST D.P.W. IS TOO CLEAN ALL OF TOWN STREETS OF SNOW AND ICE AND SOUTH KEARNY TOO. NEXT THEY HAVE TOO CLEAN TOWN SIDEWALKS ALL PLAY GROUND S SITES AND SECOND LESS MANY POWER TO BUDGET CUTS TOO KEEP YOUR TAXES LOW. LET YOUR YOUNG KIDS TOO OF CLEANERING OF SNOW,STREET HOCKEY IS PLAY INSIDE NOT IN COLD AIR OUTSIDE,BAD FOR LUNGS AT THAT TEMPERTURE. TOWN WORKS AT D P W DO GREAT JOB FOR THE TOWN WITH THE MAN POWER THEY HAVE, GET OFF THEIR BACK LADY, HAVE A REAL LIFE TALK ABOUT BIG PROMBLEMS WHAT IS YOUR NAME?????????? ARE YOU AFRAID TOO GIVE NAME???????????

KOTW Note: Please note that the person is signed in as a Guest.

WHO AM I TALKING TOO ,LEAVE YOUR NAME ON SITE.,FIRST D.P.W. IS TOO CLEAN ALL OF TOWN STREETS OF SNOW AND ICE AND SOUTH KEARNY TOO. NEXT THEY HAVE TOO CLEAN TOWN SIDEWALKS ALL PLAY GROUND S SITES AND SECOND LESS MANY POWER TO BUDGET CUTS TOO KEEP YOUR TAXES LOW.  LET YOUR YOUNG  KIDS  TOO OF CLEANERING OF SNOW,STREET HOCKEY  IS PLAY INSIDE NOT IN COLD AIR OUTSIDE,BAD FOR LUNGS AT THAT TEMPERTURE.  TOWN WORKS AT D P W DO GREAT JOB FOR THE TOWN WITH THE MAN POWER THEY HAVE, GET OFF THEIR  BACK LADY, HAVE A REAL LIFE TALK ABOUT  BIG PROMBLEMS  WHAT IS YOUR NAME?????????? ARE YOU AFRAID TOO GIVE NAME???????????

KOTW Note: Please note that the person is signed in as a Guest.

Huh ??????

Guest Hockey Parent

First off, we won't even talk about the horrible and embarrasing grammar that you used Tom or the fact that you take offense because you used to be one of those guys sleeping in your truck. Lets talk about the fact that you are arguing from California and don't know what the hell you are talking about. "Street Hockey is to be played indoors and not outdoors"? Well I guess the big hockey rink that was installed down by the river was a big waste of money. Isn't hockey a winter sport ? What are you talking about bad for lungs at that temperature, it was good enough for us when we were kids or at least those of us that played sports Tom. The fact of the matter is, if other people do your job then there is no reason for you to have to do it. With all the people that argue that I should have shoveled it myself, makes me think that nothing is ever going to change with the town departments because the people of the town will just let them get away with not doing anything. And yes Tom, I am very afraid to give you my name because I'm scared of geeks that live on the other side of the country....you got me.

P.S

Cleanering ? I know I said I wouldn't mention it but FOR GOD SAKES MAN get hooked on phonics !

you people are crazy, its only a game .I hope your kids have fun when they play hockey.To say things about the town workers thats uncalled for .if its that big of a deal to you, :P get a shovel ane clear it yourself .looks like a big area to shovel by hand.

Guest League Director

Don't blame the town workers, they are not to blame. The problem is that the surface the engineer chose to use on the rink cannot be cleaned with regular snow equipment. Only plastic or rubber is allowed to touch the surface. No salt or ice melt either. The snow blowers made with rubber blades are not powerful enough to throw the snow over the boards and fence, which together is 8-10 high. The snow has to go over the fence as it will not blow through the small holes in the fence.(1 1/2 inch holes) They will not allow a plow, even with a rubber blade guard on the court, as they are affraid the workers will crash the truck into the boards. So there in no way to clean the court besides manually shoveling it out with plastic shovels, and once again, having to throw the snow over a 8-10 ft fence. The court is 185 X 85, and thats a lot of snow to try and heave 8-10 feet in the air. The questions to ask are as follows: Why was this surface put down to begin with? Why is the surface popping up and coming apart all over? Why has no one been allowed to play Roller Hockey on a rink named the Corbett Roller Hockey Facility? and When and how are they going to correct it?

People ask why is this played in the winter? That I can answer. Hockey is a winter sport, played outdoors. The league tries not to take away from other sports such as Soccer, Football,(fall Sports) Basketball which starts in Jan, and Baseball which is in the spring. This is the best time to run hockey just like other towns do. You have to remember most of our coaches in town coach all the sports including hockey. We lack volunteers, and need more parents to help, but due to economic times, it is not easy to find coaches. The rink situation will get straightened out, and I'm sure the DPW men would be more than happy to clean the rink if allowed to use the equipment needed for a rink that size. Any questions visit our web site www.leaguelineup.com/krsh

First off, we won't even talk about the horrible and embarrasing grammar that you used Tom or the fact that you take offense because you used to be one of those guys sleeping in your truck. Lets talk about the fact that you are arguing from California and don't know what the hell you are talking about. "Street Hockey is to be played indoors and not outdoors"? Well I guess the big hockey rink that was installed down by the river was a big waste of money. Isn't hockey a winter sport ? What are you talking about bad for lungs at that temperature, it was good enough for us when we were kids or at least those of us that played sports Tom. The fact of the matter is, if other people do your job then there is no reason for you to have to do it. With all the people that argue that I should have shoveled it myself, makes me think that nothing is ever going to change with the town departments because the people of the town will just let them get away with not doing anything. And yes Tom, I am very afraid to give you my name because I'm scared of geeks that live on the other side of the country....you got me.

P.S

Cleanering ? I know I said I wouldn't mention it but FOR GOD SAKES MAN get hooked on phonics !

Leave Tommy alone he means well. Sometimes his mind gets ahead of his typing ability. But what he is trying to say is true. Go to a council meeting and direct your anger at the people who deserve it. It's easy to yell about town employees on this board, but go to the people who allowed Neglia to install the inferior surface, that was very costly I might add. So go to the source and demand what your tax dollars paid for, a rink with a safe surface. Think for once because the elected officals don't have a clue. Question: do they still have the council meetings on TV or is that a thing of the past?

Guest Kearny Rec Dept Guy

I'm loving all of this, keep it up ! It's because of you people that stand up for us at the Rec Department, that keeps us working in the manner that we are accustomed to. If it wasn't for you guys, we would really have to work for a living.

Guest Guest_observer_*

In all fairness to "hockey Parent", your frustration is felt and your opinions are on the mark. When town workers are mentioned not doing their job, I believe that people that are reading this forum right away think "grunts" on the street, but I would say when a job is not getting done town workers include all responsible, i.e, supervisors, department heads, Business Administrator and the Mayor. Our problem is widespread and getting worse. The politics of this I'll save for another forum, for it would be to lengthy, even though there is a direct relation as to why things don't get done. Now this may offend some workers, but it is not meant for all. There are a few select individals that actually work, some that think they work and others that know they don't work, but respond to writings like this defending how "hard" they work. The workers blame their supervisors, but yet play hide and seek all day, achieving 10 minutes worth of work in 2 hours and than sitting in a truck somewhere waiting to be told what to do next. It's sickening to see the answers given when someone complains about work not getting done. The hockey rink sat for 3 weeks untouched, calls being made and little action showed. Than someone writes in and everyone is on the defense. It's a joke!!! The answer "shovel it yourself". Well a small handful of parents did just that!!! Now when it snows would you like for us to plow the town streets, shovel the town property, pick up the leaves, take care of the baseball fiels, etc, etc ,etc. The mentality of answering do it yourself if you don't like it has got to stop. If you would take some pride in your job and show some accountibility for what your paid to do people wouldn't B**ch about the town workers. This isn't just about the hockey issue this goes on all year long. Take some pride in what you do, besides your getting paid to do it. Privatizing is the way of the future for towns and if you want public support on your side when that happens you better start showing what you can do for the never stopping town pay check you receive, because the unemployment check unfortunately does end.

In all fairness to "hockey Parent", your frustration is felt and your opinions are on the mark. When town workers are mentioned not doing their job, I believe that people that are reading this forum right away think "grunts" on the street, but I would say when a job is not getting done town workers include all responsible, i.e, supervisors, department heads, Business Administrator and the Mayor. Our problem is widespread and getting worse. The politics of this I'll save for another forum, for it would be to lengthy, even though there is a direct relation as to why things don't get done. Now this may offend some workers, but it is not meant for all. There are a few select individals that actually work, some that think they work and others that know they don't work, but respond to writings like this defending how "hard" they work. The workers blame their supervisors, but yet play hide and seek all day, achieving 10 minutes worth of work in 2 hours and than sitting in a truck somewhere waiting to be told what to do next. It's sickening to see the answers given when someone complains about work not getting done. The hockey rink sat for 3 weeks untouched, calls being made and little action showed. Than someone writes in and everyone is on the defense. It's a joke!!! The answer "shovel it yourself". Well a small handful of parents did just that!!! Now when it snows would you like for us to plow the town streets, shovel the town property, pick up the leaves, take care of the baseball fiels, etc, etc ,etc. The mentality of answering do it yourself if you don't like it has got to stop. If you would take some pride in your job and show some accountibility for what your paid to do people wouldn't B**ch about the town workers. This isn't just about the hockey issue this goes on all year long. Take some pride in what you do, besides your getting paid to do it. Privatizing is the way of the future for towns and if you want public support on your side when that happens you better start showing what you can do for the never stopping town pay check you receive, because the unemployment check unfortunately does end.

Have no fear, town workers will start work when Ferraioli jr. takes over as General Supt. See what happens then. Look these guys are dinosaurs who think they only have one assignment per day and once that assignment is complete, they are finished for the day. Now they are free to get hair cuts or pick up persciptions, do some food shopping etc. The supervisors are afraid of the union and prefer to hide all day rather then supervise. So with that mentality, what do you expect? Mean while the mayor is doing a wonderful job. NOT! Who's watching the store? Pay your taxes, but be sure to alot for the tax increase you receive every year. That's all Folks. :PB):P:angry:

Guest Hockey Dad

Hockey program is one of the best run rec programs in town. They should have built a indoor rink for the kids. We could have used it all year long. To the people that run the league, and the moms and dads that coach. Keep up the good work.

Hockey program is one of the best run rec programs in town. They should have built a indoor rink for the kids. We could have used it all year long. To the people that run the league, and the moms and dads that coach. Keep up the good work.

Yea as long as you don't have to!

Guest Guest 99

An indoor rink?? Are you insane? :lol::lol:B);)

Guest Guest_observer_*
An indoor rink?? Are you insane? :lol:  :lol:  B)  ;)

Hey, not for nothing, but that would resolve the problem of the town workers not having to shovel the snow!!!!!

And we can have a sign up sheet for parents to shovel the snow on the sidewalks leading up to the new indoor rink in the winter, and another sheet to maintain the grounds around it the rest of the year!!!!

Now we're thinking!!!!

We won't have to complain to ANYBODY that nothing is getting done, because if nothing gets done its our own fault!!!!

Guest Guest_Tom Hakim_*

When is the hockey season finised? Does any other teams use the court after thier season? If any other teams do use the court do they have get a town kearny permit to use the area. can it used for soccer for little kids age at 5-8 yrs old..or can it used for baseball again for little people? Or can remove hockey goals to make a basketball court, for night playing for anybody use. Because at one time thier was court down thier? And was Hockey court use with town finds,][ Money] or grant funds from the state of N.J. so anybody can use it .

Archived