Kearny Rec Department

Guest Hockey Parent

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Duke of Hersey
When is the hockey season finised?    Does any other teams use the court after thier season?    If any other teams do use the court do they have get a town kearny permit to use the area.  can it used for soccer for little kids age at 5-8 yrs old..or can it used for baseball again for little people?  Or can remove hockey goals to make a basketball court, for night playing for anybody use. Because at one time thier was court down thier?  And was Hockey court use with town finds,][ Money] or grant  funds from the state of N.J. so anybody can use it .

Tom, why are you asking questions on this forum. You don't listen, disagree and tell everybody they are wrong when someones says something. My advice to you would be to contact the Rec Dept, talk to Cheech and Chong, and get the facts. I'm sure you have all the necessary phone numbers and e-mail addresses. You seem to have a strong obsession with hockey suddenly. Oh, one more thing do you speak the way you write?

When is the hockey season finised?    Does any other teams use the court after thier season?    If any other teams do use the court do they have get a town kearny permit to use the area.  can it used for soccer for little kids age at 5-8 yrs old..or can it used for baseball again for little people?  Or can remove hockey goals to make a basketball court, for night playing for anybody use. Because at one time thier was court down thier?  And was Hockey court use with town finds,][ Money] or grant  funds from the state of N.J. so anybody can use it .

The above statment was written by a product of the Kearny educational system. Keep up the good work BOE we need more like Tom.

Tom, please have someone proof read your statements before you post them.

And yes he does talk this way.

Guest just wondering

I am not a hockey parent, coach or rec worker.....but I am a taxpayer in this Town and would like to know why those lights are on ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!! Correct me if I'm wrong, which I'm not, but does Veterans Little League field on the top of the hill, have lights on even when there are games going on???? Well I can tell you they don't, and neither do the Oval Little League fields! The soccer fields and the brand new hockey field are the only fields that are lit up bright. Were the "powers that be" down at Rec not picked to play as children, didn't quite make the team...well thats' the only reason I can figure why they won't fix those lights and let the kids play in THEIR parks for night games. I'll admit, we have a few months before that sport starts up again, which give you enough time to do the right this. :(

I am not a hockey parent, coach or rec worker.....but I am a taxpayer in this Town and would like to know why those lights are on ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!! Correct me if I'm wrong, which I'm not, but does Veterans Little League field on the top of the hill, have lights on even when there are games going on???? Well I can tell you they don't, and neither do the Oval Little League fields! The soccer fields and the brand new hockey field are the only fields that are lit up bright. Were the "powers that be" down at Rec not picked to play as children, didn't quite make the team...well thats' the only reason I can figure why they won't fix those lights and let the kids play in THEIR parks for night games. I'll admit, we have a few months before that sport starts up again, which give you enough time to do the right this. :(

Another one that needs a proofreader.

Guest What ???

If I had to guess, I would say this was written by ***** ****. Let me respond to your statement as best I can by first trying to figure out what your saying.

YOU ARE WRONG, sorry to say!!

1- Vets Field lights are on even when there are not games, for practicing.

2- There are no lights on the Gunnel Oval little league fields, so I guess thats why they are not on. You can't fix lights if the lights don't exist.

3- The lights on the hockey rink are on only during the season, which only runs for (4) weeks. Also, just to add, think of when hockey takes place, November and December. These months, if you are aware of, a thing called daylight savings time. It is dark a 4 P.M. The kids get out of school at 3:00. Now, if it is dark approx. at 4:00 P.M. when would you prefer the kids, which there are (4) teams with (3) divisions, that makes (12) teams, to practice and play games????? Oh, and by the way, don't say the weekends, because the rink is used on the weekends from 10 A.M on. That time could be earlier, but some people (the league coordinators) do care about others. Mainly not disturbing the people who live in the area of the rink at too early an hour.

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

in response to your corrections....

1-During football season, the lights are on for practice and games at Vets. But NOT for little league practice. Nor are they put on in the evening for games.

2- Your correct, there are no lights at the Gunnel fields, what I meant was GETTING lights down there[/u].

3- So the lights are only on during the hockey season. Does that mean even when games aren't going on??? Bacause I can drive passed any night and see them on with an empty rink. And yes, I have heard of daylight savings, but it's January genious, shouldn't the season be over according to you?

So if others are permitted to use the rink, can I assume contacting the Rec dept for availability is what basketball and baseball teams can do? Each little league division (4 divisions) have 3 teams (that 12 total teams), practice scheduling is sometimes a problem with only 4 fields. And each Rec. basketball team gets 45 minutes a week to practice in the gyms.

Guest Hockey Parent

3- So the lights are only on during the hockey season. Does that mean even when games aren't going on??? Bacause I can drive passed any night and see them on with an empty rink. And yes, I have heard of daylight savings, but it's January genious, shouldn't the season be over according to you?

Hey doofus, if you paid any attention to the original post, you would have noticed that the reason that the season went into January was because it was postponed 3 weeks due to lazieness and incompetence. For christ sakes man, this is the problem with you people, nobody pays attention to what was said in the first place and then they shoot off some uneducated responce and look ridiculous.

1-During football season, the lights are on for practice and games at Vets. But NOT for little league practice. Nor are they put on in the evening for games. 

2- Your correct, there are no lights at the Gunnel fields, what I meant  was GETTING lights down there[/u].

So if others are permitted to use the rink, can I assume contacting the Rec dept for availability is what basketball and baseball teams can do? Each little league division (4 divisions) have 3 teams (that 12 total teams), practice scheduling is sometimes a problem with only 4 fields. And each Rec. basketball team gets 45 minutes a week to practice in the gyms.

Sorry for not being able to decipher what you are trying to say, but your incompetence is amazing!! (GENIOUS)

Sounds like you should ask your Little League Reps why the lights are not on.

1- I find your statement about the lights not on for NIGHT games to be odd. How do you play a night game without lights? Are you saying the kids are playing baseball games in the dark? As for the lights being on for practice, that also makes no sense. No kid 9-12 years old should be practicing any Rec. activity passed 9:00 P.M., because if you want the lights on for practice thats when you would need them on during baseball season!! (GENIOUS) I am a product of the Kearny Little League, and when I played we had (4) teams in each Div., (4) Divisions or (16) teams. The schedule allowed teams turns for playing a night game at the Southern field on Belgrove Dr, but never late night practices under the lights. That was unnecessary!!!

2- Read your posting about the Oval, how is anyone to understand what you meant? (GENIOUS) But, as for lights at the Oval, I'm all for it. Any improvement to any recreational facility in Town would be great!!!

3- I can tell you're not the brightest bulb, but read my 1st post in regards to #3. I thought I was clear, but you didn't get it. I'll reiterate. (to repeat) Hockey is played by (4) teams, (3) divisions or (12) teams. The rink is used, (SHARED)(7) days a week for practice and games. It gets dark at 4:00 P.M., that means that even if a game is not going there are practices and the lights still have to be on because IT STILL IS DARK AT 4:00 P.M. (7) DAYS A WEEK!!!! (GENIOUS) Yes, I know its January, and yes the season should be over, but hockey lost (3) weeks due to the early snow and ice in November. Do you remember those storms? (GENIOUS)

As for your last sentence, I would not even attempt to figure out what it is you're trying to say! But, if you're trying to imply that baseball and basketball can play on the hockey rink, you are definitely out there!! How do you play baseball on a hockey rink, better yet, how do you play basketball without hoops????? As your statement says, "can I assume contacting the rec dept for availability is what basketball and baseball teams can do?" There is another statement about ASSUMING, that goes when you ASSUME, you make an ASS out of U and ME!!! In this case it is only U!!!! (GENIOUS)

While I agree with most of what you say, if you are going to repeat the word genius so often, please look it up first so that you can spell it correctly. You gain more credibility and respect when you look and sound like you know what you're talking about.:)

Sorry for not being able to decipher what you are trying to say, but your incompetence is amazing!! (GENIOUS)

Sounds like you should ask your Little League Reps why the lights are not on.

1- I find your statement about the lights not on for NIGHT games to be odd. How do you play a night game without lights? Are you saying the kids are playing baseball games in the dark? As for the lights being on for practice, that also makes no sense. No kid 9-12 years old should be practicing any Rec. activity passed 9:00 P.M., because if you want the lights on for practice thats when you would need them on during baseball season!! (GENIOUS) I am a product of the Kearny Little League, and when I played we had (4) teams in each Div., (4) Divisions or (16) teams. The schedule allowed teams turns for playing a night game at the Southern field on Belgrove Dr, but never late night practices under the lights. That was unnecessary!!!

2- Read your posting about the Oval, how is anyone to understand what you meant? (GENIOUS) But, as for lights at the Oval, I'm all for it. Any improvement to any recreational facility in Town would be great!!!

3- I can tell you're not the brightest bulb, but read my 1st post in regards to #3. I thought I was clear, but you didn't get it. I'll reiterate. (to repeat) Hockey is played by (4) teams, (3) divisions or (12) teams. The rink is used, (SHARED)(7) days a week for practice and games. It gets dark at 4:00 P.M., that means that even if a game is not going there are practices and the lights still have to be on because IT STILL IS DARK AT 4:00 P.M. (7) DAYS A WEEK!!!! (GENIOUS)  Yes, I know its January, and yes the season should be over, but hockey lost (3) weeks due to the early snow and ice in November. Do you remember those storms? (GENIOUS)

As for your last sentence, I would not even attempt to figure out what it is you're trying to say!  But, if you're trying to imply that baseball and basketball can play on the hockey rink, you are definitely out there!! How do you play baseball on a hockey rink, better yet, how do you play basketball without hoops????? As your statement says, "can I assume contacting the rec dept for availability is what basketball and baseball teams can do?" There is another statement about ASSUMING, that goes when you ASSUME, you make an ASS out of U and ME!!! In this case it is only U!!!! (GENIOUS)

First of all, the lights are on at that Rink even when there isn't anyone playing or practicing. Someone mentioned they were on a timer.

The lights do not need to be on for practice (4:00 pm) for baseball. Maybe if the Oval had lights, or the South was able to put them on, the teams could get some make-up (rainout) games in. A problem they deal with every season is rainout scheduling.

I do not believe the lights at the South (little league field) are working, something wrong with the post, you'll have to check with Rec on that.

A double-header once in awhile should be fine. The kids can play a game starting at 7:30. Alot of players stay after the game anyway and start up their own games....that is, until it gets too dark to play.

uh oh, we're back to the "lights" discussion again! :)

I also have a question for the town. Why wasn't the playground on Hickory & Oakwood opened when we had some beautiful mild days last week? That playground is full of youngsters doing what they should be doing, playing in a safe area when the weather if nice. Also all the mothers with young children could have had them out the house & getting some exercise on a nice day. Town people use that playground. All playgrounds should be open when the weather is nice.

While I agree with most of what you say, if you are going to repeat the word genius so often, please look it up first so that you can spell it correctly.  You gain more credibility and respect when you look and sound like you know what you're talking about.:)

If you follow the thread, namely post #36, you would see why GENIUS is spelled GENIOUS so many times. This is called SARCASM!

Guest 1st Ward Resident
First of all, the lights are on at that Rink even when there isn't anyone playing or practicing. Someone mentioned they were on a timer.

The lights do not need to be on for practice (4:00 pm) for baseball. Maybe if the Oval had lights, or the South was able to put them on, the teams could get some make-up (rainout) games in. A problem they deal with every season is rainout scheduling.

I do not believe the lights at the South (little league field) are working, something wrong with the post, you'll have to check with Rec on that.

A double-header once in awhile should be fine. The kids can play a game starting at 7:30. Alot of players stay after the game anyway and start up their own games....that is, until it gets too dark to play.

uh oh, we're back to the "lights" discussion again!  :)

You are correct. The lights are on even when nobody is there. Wasting electricity. Who cares. I'm paying the bill so why turn them off. This is the same Mayor who had a $15.00 electric bill to prove that he lived in the 2nd ward when he ran for council.

You are correct.  The lights are on even when nobody is there.  Wasting electricity.  Who cares.  I'm paying the bill so why turn them off.  This is the same Mayor who had a $15.00 electric bill to prove that he lived in the 2nd ward when he ran for council.

The lights will no longer be on, and the facility locked. The youth now instead of playing hockey will be out wondering the streets. Maybe instead of complaining about facilities that are open you should be complaining as to why the others are closed and why there is no place for the youth and young adults to go and play if they wanted to. Thats right lock up all the fields and facilities, turn off all the lights, so when the kids are hanging out on the street corners you can complain about that. The kids get out of school at 3pm, the lights were coming on at 4pm and going off at 9pm. Harrsion and even East Newark have lights on in their facilites so the children can use them, but not Kearny. No we keep everything nice and locked driving the kids to the streets. Think about it?

The lights will no longer be on, and the facility locked.  The youth now instead of playing hockey will be out wondering the streets. Maybe instead of complaining about facilities that are open you should be complaining as to why the others are closed and why there is no place for the youth and young adults to go and play if they wanted to. Thats right lock up all the fields and facilities, turn off all the lights, so when the kids are hanging out on the street corners you can complain about that. The kids get out of school at 3pm, the lights were coming on at 4pm and going off at 9pm. Harrsion and even East Newark have lights on in their facilites so the children can use them, but not Kearny. No we keep everything nice and locked driving the kids to the streets. Think about it?

This is a no win situation. Your right keeping the lights on and fields open would be a plus to keep the kids active and out of trouble, maybe. On the other hand if the fields are left open come spring the soccer people complain that there is no grass on the field and they are in bad shape. So my question is what do you want, nice looking fields or active off the street kids. You cant have it both ways.

Guest Hockey Parent
The lights will no longer be on, and the facility locked.  The youth now instead of playing hockey will be out wondering the streets. Maybe instead of complaining about facilities that are open you should be complaining as to why the others are closed and why there is no place for the youth and young adults to go and play if they wanted to. Thats right lock up all the fields and facilities, turn off all the lights, so when the kids are hanging out on the street corners you can complain about that. The kids get out of school at 3pm, the lights were coming on at 4pm and going off at 9pm. Harrsion and even East Newark have lights on in their facilites so the children can use them, but not Kearny. No we keep everything nice and locked driving the kids to the streets. Think about it?

Well said !! People should really think about the stupid $hit that they b!tch about.

This is a no win situation. Your right keeping the lights on and fields open would be a plus to keep the kids active and out of trouble, maybe. On the other hand if the fields are left open come spring the soccer people complain that there is no grass on the field and they are in bad shape. So my question is what do you want, nice looking fields or active off the street kids. You cant have it both ways.

When have any fields in Kearny ever looked good???????? The fields are a disgrace! By keeping everyone off the fields only lets the crab grass and weeds rejuvenate. Than it gets mowed! As long as there is green there and not bare spots that is an acceptable field.

IF THE HOCKEY RINK IS OPEN AND THE LIGHTS ARE ON, ANYONE CAN PLAY IN THERE?

When have any fields in Kearny ever looked good???????? The fields are a disgrace! By keeping everyone off the fields only lets the crab grass and weeds rejuvenate. Than it gets mowed! As long as there is green there and not bare spots that is an acceptable field.

You make my case, it's a no win situation. First of all how many teams play on these fields. Not to mention the pick up games on sunday mornings,(with out permits) The fields in Kearny are not the best but they are far from disgraceful. you want them open then leave them open and then check their condition. It is very clear to me that no matter what is done it will be wrong. The only way to cut costs and keep them green is to go with artificial turf and they could be used all year long. Plus they will look nice.Stop complainig and start voicing your opinion at the rec commision.And tell a council person or two. see what you get.

You make my case, it's a no win situation. First of all how many teams play on these fields. Not to mention the pick up games on sunday mornings,(with out permits) The fields in Kearny are not the best but they are far from disgraceful. you want them open then leave them open and then check their condition. It is very clear to me that no matter what is done it will be wrong. The only way to cut costs and keep them green is to go with artificial turf and they could be used all year long. Plus they will look nice.Stop complainig and start voicing your opinion at the rec commision.And tell a council person or two. see what you get.

You, my friend are a knucklehead!! First of all, I'm not complaining, I am responding to your foolish statements. Why can't we have it both ways, kids staying active and fields in good condition? I'll tell you why, because people don't do their jobs!!!!! There is no maintenance on any of these fields!! Oh, maybe some top soil and seeding in the spring, but other than that just hope for rain and cut the weeds!!!!!!!!!!! I understand that if fields are overused they have to be rested, but that is not the case. They are not given the proper attention. PERIOD!!!!!!!!! As for permits, they're a bunch of crap. They have only been in effect for the last few years, and up until than there were no such thing as permits to use the fields. The fields were used much more back than, with more teams in existance and the condition is worse now than they were back than!!! As for being a disgrace, they ARE!!! Take a ride to other Townships and check out their facilities, there is no comparison. Again, I am honest and tell it like it is, not all Townships, but Kearny's fields are by far inferior to most. Now I am talking about all the fields, baseball, which is the worst, (Sandy Juliano must be turning over in his grave), soccer, football and softball. Not just the condition of the grass, but the whole ball of wax. The fencing around these fields are not only poor, but dangerous. (these fences around fields at Gunnell Oval have been there forever, 40 years that I know of, without replacement) The backstops are the worst!!!!!!!! The infields are like abandoned lots to play a pick up game on. I could go on and on, but it's not worth it, because some other clown like you will only have another stupid remark to make. Oh, before I forget to tell you, you really scored points with me when you advised me to contact the Rec. Dept!! NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived