WHO'S WATCHING THE KMUA

Guest Guest

Who's watching the KMUA?

What do they do? and where does that money go? We should really pay more attention to that autonomous group in south kearny. So out of sight so out of mind.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest uneducated
Who's watching the KMUA?

What do they do? and where does that money go? We should really pay more attention to that autonomous group in south kearny. So out of sight so out of mind.

Please educated me. What is the KMUA ,what is it's function, where does it operated from and who works there?

Who's watching the KMUA?

Who is watching the KMUA? Good question. Is the Mayor and Council? No, the Mayor and Council ARE the KMUA. Instead of being the KMUA watchdogs, they serve as the commissioners. Mayor Santos, his Aide Mayor Torres, and Councilwoman Doyle are three of the five commisioners appointed by Mayor Santos. Is this a good thing to have the same people checking themselves? Where are the checks and balances?

Conversely, is it a bad thing to have the same people checking up on themselves? I think so. In 2004 I argued against the water rate increase because we had just raised water rates in 2003. The rate structure impacts the businesses in South Kearny hardest. A study commissioned by the Mayor and Council in 2001 showed that South Kearny businesses were already paying the highest sewage rates in our area. Now we were hitting them with back-to-back increases in water rates. The response I received was that KMUA had no problem with the increase. Would you move your business to South Kearny knowing that you had no voice?

The KMUA is just another entity, like the Water Department, that the Mayor can use to issue more bonds, borrow more money, and funnel it into the municipal budget. Who loses? We do when the businesses in South Kearny say they've had enough and leave for good.

Jim Mangin

ps - Did I forget to mention that for the first time, next year's municipal budget uses over $620,000 taken from the KMUA. I'm sure the commissioners approved sending the money to the Town Council - since they ARE the Mayor and Council.

Please educated me. What is the KMUA ,what is it's function, where does it operated from and who works there?

The Kearny Municipal Utilities Authority operates as a (supposedly) autonomous agency from the Mayor and Council. Their purpose is to serve the waste-water and sewage needs of businesses in South Kearny. The exist via funding that is paid for by the user fees of those businesses. Kearny residents don't pay a separate rate for sewage, but businesses in South Kearny do.

Also, Mayor Santos has a long history of exploiting the businesses in South Kearny and using the KMUA to legitimize his policies against them.

Jim Mangin

ps - sorry for the typo. My original post said the KMUA served the water needs of South Kearny. It should have said waste-water.

Must be a touchy subject no replies. Keep watching and ask questions.

Nothing sinister -- the KMUA operates a sewerage pumping plant at the old treatment plant in S. Kearny at the end of Central Ave. This plant treated the sewerage waste generated in S. Kearny. When it became impractical to operate a sewerage treatment plant due to increasingly tough state/federal regulations, the KMUA was formed. A pipeline was laid across the Passaic River from Kearny to Newark into the Passaic Valley Sewerage Commission plant. This pumping station now pumps the waste directly to the PVSC plant rather than treating it and discharging it into Newark Bay. The KMUA operating costs are paid for by the industrial users in S. Kearny who pay a fee based on the volume of waste they put into the sewer system.

Who is watching the KMUA? Good question. Is the Mayor and Council? No, the Mayor and Council ARE the KMUA. Instead of being the KMUA watchdogs, they serve as the commissioners. Mayor Santos, his Aide Mayor Torres, and Councilwoman Doyle are three of the five commisioners appointed by Mayor Santos. Is this a good thing to have the same people checking themselves? Where are the checks and balances?

Conversely, is it a bad thing to have the same people checking up on themselves? I think so. In 2004 I argued against the water rate increase because we had just raised water rates in 2003. The rate structure impacts the businesses in South Kearny hardest. A study commissioned by the Mayor and Council in 2001 showed that South Kearny businesses were already paying the highest sewage rates in our area. Now we were hitting them with back-to-back increases in water rates. The response I received was that KMUA had no problem with the increase. Would you move your business to South Kearny knowing that you had no voice? 

The KMUA is just another entity, like the Water Department, that the Mayor can use to issue more bonds, borrow more money, and funnel it into the municipal budget. Who loses? We do when the businesses in South Kearny say they've had enough and leave for good.

Jim Mangin

ps - Did I forget to mention that for the first time, next year's municipal budget uses over $620,000 taken from the KMUA. I'm sure the commissioners approved sending the money to the Town Council - since they ARE the Mayor and Council.

The old argument against the KMUA was that they were too independent and out of control. It would seem that the Mayor and Council members are now taking responsibility for the actions of the KMUA. Sounds like accountability to me. You can't have it both ways.

KMUA has no responsibility for water, only sewer and only in South Kearny and the meadowlands. The KMUA mission is to keep the costs of treatment, building and maintaining sewer lines in South Kearny and in the meadows out of the residential taxes. The KMUA has saved Kearny residents over $25,000,000 since it's creation.

Outside of a few chemical companies who left for environmental reasons years ago, no one is leaving South Kearny. Also. we have Walmart and others moving into the meadowlands in the next few years fully aware of KMUA sewer rates.

The old argument against the KMUA was that they were too independent and out of control. It would seem that the Mayor and Council members are now taking responsibility for the actions of the KMUA. Sounds like accountability to me. You can't have it both ways.

KMUA has no responsibility for water, only sewer and only in South Kearny and the meadowlands. The KMUA mission is to keep the costs of treatment, building and maintaining sewer lines in South Kearny and in the meadows out of the residential taxes. The KMUA has saved Kearny residents over $25,000,000 since it's creation.

Outside of a few chemical companies who left for environmental reasons years ago, no one is leaving South Kearny. Also. we have Walmart and others moving into the meadowlands in the next few years fully aware of KMUA sewer rates.

Did the KMUA pay for your stay in AC at the league convention last week? This all sounds nice and very responsible but who's checking the books.

Guest Guest 99
Did the KMUA pay for your stay in AC at the league convention last week? This all sounds nice and very responsible but who's checking the books.

You people have all the wisecracks, but not one of you has any answers. Step up to the plate and do something if you're so concerned. Now, I know you won't, because just like all the council, BOE and planning board meetings, you're too busy. Then shut the front door and quit complaining. :P

You people have all the wisecracks, but not one of you has any answers. Step up to the plate and do something if you're so concerned. Now, I know you won't, because just like all the council, BOE and planning board meetings, you're too busy. Then shut the front door and quit complaining. :P

Your right, maybe it's time to do something.

Guest Chris C

As far as the KMUA is concerned the door is already shut. I think it should be opened.

Another jackass who wants to deny people the right to their opinions because they don't go to meetings or run for office. Where do you guys come from? You are as thick as a whale omlette.

Another jackass who wants to deny people the right to their opinions because they don't go to meetings or run for office.  Where do you guys come from? You are as thick as a whale omlette.

He/she might be one of the indiviuals collecting perks from that autonomous body. Maybe I should run for office and attend meetings while working two jobs to pay my taxes and to afford my family a place to live. Lets see, how many individuals on the KMUA have jobs and work everyday. I will practice my right to free speech. Or is that on the table to be taxed?

Guest Guest 99
Another jackass who wants to deny people the right to their opinions because they don't go to meetings or run for office.  Where do you guys come from? You are as thick as a whale omlette.

Sticks and stones, blah, blah, blah. You all sound just like the poster formally known as THTE SILENT MAJORITY. All talk, no action. No answers. No solutions.

None of you know what's going on except what you hear on the street corner or read in the local paper and yet you come on here to bash everything and everyone. I say, go to the council meeting tonight, face those you accuse and ask your questions. Make your accusations. Just step up to the podium and say, " Hey Mayor, you idiot , you jackass, what about ???", like you all do in here. I'll be there, will any of you????? ;);)

Guest Guest 99
He/she might be one of the indiviuals collecting perks from that autonomous body. Maybe I should run for office and attend meetings while working two jobs to pay my taxes and to afford my family a place to live. Lets see, how many individuals on the KMUA have jobs and work everyday. I will practice my right to free speech. Or is that on the table to be taxed?

I might be, but I'm not. By the way, what perks? Let's see exactly how smart you are. You made a statement, now back it up. What perks?

Ah, the old, " I'm too busy", line again. To the best of my knowledge, there are only two of the nine members of the Mayor and Town Council who do not maintain full time jobs while serving the town. And, don't forget the dozens of appointed commission and committee members who volunteer their time, with no compensation, to attend meetings and other functions while still working. And let's not forget all the recreational coaches who spend many hours each week training and mentoring your children. No compensation there either.

Refering to your last comment, yes, you do have the right to exercise your freedom of speech. However, there is still the old adage "Actions speak louder than words".

Anyone who has read my posts in the past knows I have been advocating attendance at meetings and getting active in the community all along. Perhaps all the evil people who get elected with the sole intent of raising your taxes and laying it to you wouldn't do these bad things if they faced 30 or 40 residents every other Tuesday. Don't forget the other saying, "Knowledge is power". ;););)

Sticks and stones, blah, blah, blah. You all sound just like the poster formally known as THTE SILENT MAJORITY. All talk, no action. No answers. No solutions.

None of you know what's going on except what you hear on the street corner or read in the local paper and yet you come on here to bash everything and everyone. I say, go to the council  meeting tonight, face those you accuse and ask your questions. Make your accusations. Just step up to the podium and say, " Hey Mayor, you idiot , you jackass, what about ???", like you all do in here. I'll be there, will any of you????? ;)  ;)

I think you've got it wrong. Nothing is heard about the KMUA on the street corners, because it's never mentioned. Also regardless of what think, people have a right to express them selves here just as you do."Anonymous" Guest 99, "Who"will be at tonights meeting. We need to know more about this body that gives it's money to the council to stabilize taxes. The KMUA must have a lot of it to be so generous with ther funds. Not to mention all the rooms at the Taj last week. So 99 please save your self righteous rhetoric for tonights meeting.

PS. So what we read in the paper is not accurate. And who's fault would that be? I see reporters at the meetings. hummmm!!

Jim Mangin

When you were on the council not one dam thing was done to slow down the all of this BS some of these B--tards need to be in a JAIL CELL

Guest Guest 99
I think you've got it wrong. Nothing is heard about the KMUA on the street corners, because it's never mentioned. Also regardless of what think, people have a right to express them selves here just as you do."Anonymous" Guest 99, "Who"will be at tonights meeting. We need to know more about this body that gives it's money to the council to stabilize taxes. The KMUA must have a lot of it to be so generous with ther funds. Not to mention all the rooms at the Taj last week. So 99 please save your self righteous rhetoric for tonights meeting.

PS. So what we read in the paper is not accurate. And who's fault would that be? I see reporters at the meetings. hummmm!!

Yes, people do have the right to express themselves. Obviously you posted before my second item of the day came up.

If the people have all this information, knowledge, ways to fix things or even a passion to just tell someone off, why not step up to the podium and do it? Ask about the KMUA. Question the Mayor about taxes, about parking problems, about snow removal. Do you honestly believe you'll get your answers in here?

On another note, though, please don't try to misconstrue my words. I never said what is in the papers is not accurate. Rather, I stated that, "None of you know what's going on except what you hear on the street corner or read in the local paper". Can anyone possibly think that everything discussed or voted on at a meeting gets into the papers. You're only getting a synopsis of what the reporter considered the important topics.

Sorry, I wouldn't know about the rooms at the Taj, I don't stay there for the convention. ;);)

I might be, but I'm not. By the way, what perks? Let's see exactly how smart you are. You made a statement, now back it up. What perks?

Ah, the old, " I'm too busy", line again. To the best of my knowledge, there are only two of the nine members of the Mayor and Town Council who do not maintain full time jobs while serving the town. And, don't forget the dozens of appointed commission and committee members who volunteer their time, with no compensation, to attend meetings and other functions while still working. And let's not forget all the recreational coaches who spend many hours each week training and mentoring your children. No compensation there either. 

Refering to your last comment, yes, you do have the right to exercise your freedom of speech. However, there is still the old adage "Actions speak louder than words".

Anyone who has read my posts in the past knows I have been advocating attendance at meetings and getting active in the community all along. Perhaps all the evil people who get elected with the sole intent of raising your taxes and laying it to you wouldn't do these bad things if they faced 30 or 40 residents every other Tuesday. Don't forget the other saying, "Knowledge is power". ;)  ;)  ;)

You mean they're not raising our taxes?

Yes, people do have the right to express themselves. Obviously you posted before my second item of the day came up.

If the people have all this information, knowledge, ways to fix things or even a passion to just tell someone off, why not step up to the podium and do it? Ask about the KMUA. Question the Mayor about taxes, about parking problems, about snow removal. Do you honestly believe you'll get your answers in here?

On another note, though, please don't try to misconstrue my words. I never said what is in the papers is not accurate. Rather, I stated that, "None of you know what's going on except what you hear on the street corner or read in the local paper". Can anyone possibly think that everything discussed or voted on at a meeting gets into the papers. You're only getting a synopsis of what the reporter considered the important topics.

Sorry, I wouldn't know about the rooms at the Taj, I don't stay there for the convention. ;)  ;)

You never said it, you certainly implied it.

The question is; can anyone possibly think that the Mayor and Council act in your best interests? It doesn't matter where you hear it, the street, the newspaper, or directly from the Mayor and Council, it's all BS.

As an example I give you the now infamous "10 Point Plan".

Guest Guest 99

The question is; can anyone possibly think that the Mayor and Council act in your best interests? It doesn't matter where you hear it, the street, the newspaper, or directly from the Mayor and Council, it's all BS. 

Okay, lets take this piece by piece.

And when you challenged the statement, I clarified it. Sometimes it's hard to get thoughts across in a brief posting.

Obviously the voters do. When was the last time a Mayor was elected to four consecutive terms? Or Council members to multiple terms? Now, why are you flipping on the newspaper issue? First you challenge me with, "So what we read in the paper is not accurate" and now you say, " it's all BS". Make up your mind.

The Mayor conceded quite a long time ago that this plan was not fully successful. Or was that BS too?

PS: Not one question about anything discussed in here was brought up at the meeting last night. I guess everyone else was "to busy". That seems to be the SOP for all of you. ;););)

Jim Mangin

MARY TORRES IS ON THE KMUA???? HOW MANY JOBS DOES SHE HAVE??? WHAT IS SHE SUPER-WOMAN????? HOW MUCH TAX MONEY DOES SHE CONTROL????

Okay, lets take this piece by piece.

And when you challenged the statement, I clarified it. Sometimes it's hard to get thoughts across in a brief posting.

Obviously the voters do. When was the last time a Mayor was elected to four consecutive terms? Or Council members to multiple terms? Now, why are you flipping on the newspaper issue? First you challenge me with, "So what we read in the paper is not accurate" and now you say, " it's all BS". Make up your mind.

The Mayor conceded quite a long time ago that this plan was not fully successful. Or was that BS too?

PS: Not one question about anything discussed in here was brought up at the meeting last night. I guess everyone else was "to busy". That seems to be the SOP for all of you. ;)  ;)  ;)

Please stop you sicken me with your phony , "Oh go to the meeting and ask questions about this subject" Yea like we would really get answers, all we would get is viewed to see who we were. And just when did the mayor concede that his 10 point plan was a bomb. It wasn't in the paper!! Was it at a meeting or to mary in his ofice that he made this admission. Also your dealing with more then one writer on this subject. Don't get confused. So can your B/S and save it for the fathful, I'm sure they will eat it up. Oh actually#1 on the mayor's 10 point plan was to secure the position of free holder clerk. But the KMUA operates with no questions asked, and a good time was had by all in AC last week on the KMUA. ByBy sneaky we don't buy your bull shit.

Archived