WHO'S WATCHING THE KMUA

Guest Guest

The old argument against the KMUA was that they were too independent and out of control. It would seem that the Mayor and Council members are now taking responsibility for the actions of the KMUA. Sounds like accountability to me. You can't have it both ways.

KMUA has no responsibility for water, only sewer and only in South Kearny and the meadowlands. The KMUA mission is to keep the costs of treatment, building and maintaining sewer lines in South Kearny and in the meadows out of the residential taxes. The KMUA has saved Kearny residents over $25,000,000 since it's creation.

Outside of a few chemical companies who left for environmental reasons years ago, no one is leaving South Kearny. Also. we have Walmart and others moving into the meadowlands in the next few years fully aware of KMUA sewer rates.

You're saying the Mayor and Council are taking responsibility for the KMUA by becoming the KMUA. And you call that accountability? Accountable to who? The KMUA commissioners should be looking to see that the authority is run profitably. This way the taxpayers aren't left holding the bag if they go under. How profitable is it if the Mayor and Council S**K $620,000 in user fees to plug yet another hole in the municipal budget? Doesn't the KMUA share in the responsiliblity for keeping the businesses in South Kearny from moving? Doesn't the Town Council also share in this responsilbity? I think so.

Just imagine you own a business in South Kearny. Now, consider this:

In 2002 the Town faced a budget deficit. In response, Mayor Santos sold the Town's sewer line to the KMUA. No problem there, it was the recommendation of an independent study the Council commissioned. But Santos took it a step further and also charged the KMUA for 14 years of back rent. Where did the money come from? South Kearny businesses.

In 2003 the Town approved a 15 year contract renewal with Comcast for cable service. When I pressed Comcast to cable South Kearny as well, Santos and Castano sided with Comcast and said they didn't have to. Now, any business in South Kearny that wants a cable internet connection has to wait 15 years for the next contract renewal. Who suffers? South Kearny businesses.

In 2004 Santos and Co. hit the businesses in South Kearny with a second water rate increase in just two years.

In 2005 Santos and Co. draw $620,000 from the KMUA to plug a budget gap. Where did that $620,000 come from?

Again, South Kearny businesses.

The KMUA, among other things, has a responsibility to be a voice of the South Kearny businesses. Sadly that voice is just an echo of the Santos administration.

Last one out of South Kearny - turn out the lights.

Jim Mangin

ps - I forgot. You mentioned Walmart. Let me ask you. Will businesses like Walmart stay if Santos is allowed to continue his destructive South Kearny policies unchecked? I don't think so.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're saying the Mayor and Council are taking responsibility for the KMUA by becoming the KMUA. And you call that accountability? Accountable to who? The KMUA commissioners should be looking to see that the authority is run profitably. This way the taxpayers aren't left holding the bag if they go under. How profitable is it if the Mayor and Council S**K $620,000 in user fees to plug yet another hole in the municipal budget? Doesn't the KMUA share in the responsiliblity for keeping the businesses in South Kearny from moving? Doesn't the Town Council also share in this responsilbity? I think so.

Just imagine you own a business in South Kearny. Now, consider this:

In 2002 the Town faced a budget deficit. In response, Mayor Santos sold the Town's sewer line to the KMUA. No problem there, it was the recommendation of an independent study the Council commissioned. But Santos took it a step further and also charged the KMUA for 14 years of back rent. Where did the money come from? South Kearny businesses.

In 2003 the Town approved a 15 year contract renewal with Comcast for cable service. When I pressed Comcast to cable South Kearny as well, Santos and Castano sided with Comcast and said they didn't have to. Now, any business in South Kearny that wants a cable internet connection has to wait 15 years for the next contract renewal. Who suffers? South Kearny businesses.

In 2004 Santos and Co. hit the businesses in South Kearny with a second water rate increase in just two years.

In 2005 Santos and Co. draw $620,000 from the KMUA to plug a budget gap. Where did that $620,000 come from?

Again, South Kearny businesses.

The KMUA, among other things, has a responsibility to be a voice of the South Kearny businesses. Sadly that voice is just an echo of the Santos administration.

Last one out of South Kearny - turn out the lights.

Jim Mangin

ps - I forgot. You mentioned Walmart. Let me ask you. Will businesses like Walmart stay if Santos is allowed to continue his destructive South Kearny policies unchecked? I don't think so.

I have a question about the KMUA. How many commissioners are there? and who are they?

Okay, lets take this piece by piece.

You never said it, you certainly implied it.

And when you challenged the statement, I clarified it. Sometimes it's hard to get thoughts across in a brief posting.

The question is; can anyone possibly think that the Mayor and Council act in your best interests? It doesn't matter where you hear it, the street, the newspaper, or directly from the Mayor and Council, it's all BS.

Obviously the voters do. When was the last time a Mayor was elected to four consecutive terms? Or Council members to multiple terms? Now, why are you flipping on the newspaper issue? First you challenge me with, "So what we read in the paper is not accurate" and now you say, " it's all BS". Make up your mind.

As an example I give you the now infamous "10 Point Plan".

The Mayor conceded quite a long time ago that this plan was not fully successful. Or was that BS too?

PS: Not one question about anything discussed in here was brought up at the meeting last night. I guess everyone else was "to busy". That seems to be the SOP for all of you. ;)  :(  ;)

The voters do? Plenty of crappy politicians get re-elected over an over. Some make twenty and thirty year careers out of it. It proves nothing.

The "10 Point Plan" was way more than "not fully successful". It was a fabrication.

What "answers" do you think you'll get at council meetings? How about the Santos stock answer of "we'll look into it". Or tabling the discussion for a future time. Next he should try the Harrison method, just refuse to hear people.

The voters do? Plenty of crappy politicians get re-elected over an over.  Some make twenty and thirty year careers out of it.  It proves nothing. 

The "10 Point Plan" was way more than "not fully successful".  It was a fabrication.

What "answers" do you think you'll get at council meetings? How about the Santos stock answer of "we'll look into it".  Or tabling the discussion for a future time.  Next he should try the Harrison method, just refuse to hear people.

Your right guest ask them to name one thing from the 10 point plan that was done. Nothing! Santos plans to make a career out of politics and to gain as much as he can. For him self.

The voters do? Plenty of crappy politicians get re-elected over an over.  Some make twenty and thirty year careers out of it.  It proves nothing. 

The "10 Point Plan" was way more than "not fully successful".  It was a fabrication.

What "answers" do you think you'll get at council meetings? How about the Santos stock answer of "we'll look into it".  Or tabling the discussion for a future time.  Next he should try the Harrison method, just refuse to hear people.

It is Antonio de Oliveira Salazar. If the shoe fits.

It's a good thing the Mayor and his friends are on the KMUA. That way they can raid it and transfer the money to the town. This keeps the taxes down for the dumps that you live in. :P

Guest Chris C
Well realist who is number five?

Would someone please ID the fifth member of the KMUA commission or is this a secret? Why is it taking so long to answer the question! Lets go realist tell us who it is. And while your at it, who are the alternates for the commision. If anyone knows feel free to enlighten us. I must admit I find it strange no one knows who these people are. I guess the Kmua is a good thing and a well kept secret.

Guest Can't find it
Don't they have alternates to? If they do, who are they?

Why is the Kearny web site incomplete? I was looking for info on the KMUA and only found a brief history. Nothing about who runs it or who the commisioners are. This should be addressed to keep the public up to date and aware. Lets do better then this , after all we paid alot of money for this site. It should supply the information we require to be aware of what is going on in our community.

Ok Realist now that we know your alive and well who is the fifth member of the board on the KMUA? And if you would who are the alternates. Good to see you back.

Ok Realist now that we know your alive and well who is the fifth member of the board on the KMUA? And if you would who are the alternates. Good to see you back.

Realist where are you? Your the guy with all the answers lets go! We know your back so lets have it.Who are they?

The five KMUA Commissioners are Mary Torres, Mayor Santos, Councilwoman Doyle, Richard Ferriaoli Sr,. and Augie Vagueria. The alternates are Sean McDonald and Valerie English. They are appointed by the Mayor each February and serve five year terms.

Jim Mangin

Thank you Mr.Magin I guess Realist was busy to answer. Hmm Ferraioli is still in the mix that's a very interesting.

The five KMUA Commissioners are Mary Torres, Mayor Santos, Councilwoman Doyle, Richard Ferriaoli Sr,. and Augie Vagueria. The alternates are Sean McDonald and Valerie English. They are appointed by the Mayor each February and serve five year terms.

Jim Mangin

That's some crew. Who keeps an eye on them? Look out Kearny, what ever you do don't bend over.

Mr. Magin who does the KMUA answer to? do they need the towns blessing on decissions made by the board. Or are they regulated by the state. Due to their autonomy?

Guest BERT DIAZ PUBLIC SCHOOL PRINCIPA
Mr. Magin who does the KMUA answer to? do they need the towns blessing on decissions made by the board. Or are they regulated by the state. Due to their autonomy?

The KMUA answers to Mary Torres. She was recently appointed to head the KMUA by Mayor Santos. Mary Torres tells Mayor Santos what to do at all times and wanting more power she directed the Mayor to GIVE HER ANOTHER POSITION. Mary Torres is also the paid assistant to Mayor Santos and the current President of the Kearny Board of Education. She clearly has way too many political "hats"in a small town like Kearny and that can lead to very serious CORRUPT PRACTICES.To top it all off, Mary Torres has been on the Kearny Board of Education for 21 years. IT IS DEFINITELY TIME TO VOTE MARY TORRES OFF THE BOARD OF EDUCATION THIS APRIL 2006!!!!!!!

Guest Guest 11
Thank you  Mr.Magin I guess Realist was busy to answer. Hmm Ferraioli is still in the mix that's a very interesting.

Is Sean macDonald related to Carol or Huey MacDonald? Gee, Carol Doyle on the KMUA? Funny, she always was against the KMUA; guess she has fixed any problem she had. Sure!

Guest Studies and Observations
The KMUA answers to Mary Torres. She was recently appointed to head the KMUA by Mayor Santos. Mary Torres tells Mayor Santos what to do at all times and wanting more power she directed the Mayor to GIVE HER ANOTHER POSITION. Mary Torres is also the paid assistant to Mayor Santos and the current President of the Kearny Board of Education. She clearly has way too many political "hats"in a small town like Kearny  and that can lead to very serious CORRUPT PRACTICES.To top it all off, Mary Torres has been on the Kearny Board of Education for 21 years. IT IS DEFINITELY TIME TO VOTE MARY TORRES OFF THE BOARD OF EDUCATION THIS APRIL 2006!!!!!!!

Let me guess Norberto, Mary Torres was also on the Grassy Knoll, gave the gun to Ruby, and slipped the Mickey into John Paul I's evening tea???

Is Sean macDonald related to Carol or Huey MacDonald? Gee, Carol Doyle on the KMUA? Funny, she always was against the KMUA; guess she has fixed any problem she had. Sure!

That was an act for CJD, all politically motivated. Now see who sits on the commision with her. Somethig is cooking at the KMUA. I wonder what it is. Maybe they are boiling water. Keep it in mind that the KMUA is autonomous, just like the Board of Ed.

Let me guess Norberto, Mary Torres was also on the Grassy Knoll, gave the gun to Ruby, and slipped the Mickey into John Paul I's evening tea???

Studies, please don't egg him on, he will think your serious and go into a rant, please leave him be.

Guest Knowing
That was an act for CJD, all politically motivated. Now see who sits on the commision with her. Somethig is cooking at the KMUA. I wonder what it is. Maybe they are boiling water. Keep it in mind that the KMUA is autonomous, just like the Board of Ed.

It will and is being used as a cash cow to fund the holes in the municipal budget. This is the first mayor to raid the KMUA (it bonds money)

Archived