Changing Voter Party Affiliation

Observo

Does anyone know procedure for changing their voter registration?  I want to disassociate myself from my present party affiliation and re-register as an Independent.

Thank you.

69198[/snapback]

If you want to try and steer the party whichever way you want it to go, you might consider staying registered so you can vote in primary elections. As an Independent you cannot. You can be registered with a party affiliation and still vote for the other party.

Does anyone know procedure for changing their voter registration?  I want to disassociate myself from my present party affiliation and re-register as an Independent.

Thank you.

69198[/snapback]

You can no longer register as an Independent. The State Legislature took that right away from you a few years backand, without our consent, changed the affiliation of those of us who were registered Independents to Nonalligned. This is just one more control the Rs and Ds have forced upon us.

Surely the county clerks office would know.

69270[/snapback]

You would all be dangerous if you knew what you were talking about.

You can do what they now call undeclared! Which is something most people choose to do today. This just means you can not vote in a primary until you declare yourself again. Since during a primary you can only vote for a specific party being an indepedant left you with (most of the time) no one to vote for since the majority of candidates in a primary are D's or R's. If at anytime you feel that in a primary you want to vote for someone you can declare yourself at the poles.

If there is no particular candidate you choose to vote for during the primary you do not have to.

The major benefit is both parties during a primary will woooe you for their vote!

Undeclared only way to go!

Guest a proud american
If you want to try and steer the party whichever way you want it to go, you might consider staying registered so you can vote in primary elections. As an Independent you cannot. You can be registered with a party affiliation and still vote for the other party.

69220[/snapback]

Autonomous is right. Leaving your party will do nothing except exclude you from having any say in how it's run.

A better idea would be for you to get involved with the party and let them know how you feel and why you feel that way.

If you get no response or they shoot down your ideas then find others who feel the way you do.

I have read on other threads that people are angry and tired of the mayor to the point that they want him recalled. Well thats fine except who takes his place? That isn't a solution it's a reaction.

You probably think your opinion doesn't count but it does. Many years ago there was a small group who were tired of the republican leadership and we came within one vote of ousting the chairman. We almost did it and the leadership started to pay attention to our concerns.

Remember that whether you're a republican or democrat the greatest fear you can cause them is their positions. The people who control your party are only going to be in power until either they retire, or are voted out. So please hang in there. Change is slow but it's also possible.

Autonomous is right. Leaving your party will do nothing except exclude you from having any say in how it's run.

A better idea would be for you to get involved with the party and let them know how you feel and why you feel that way.

If you get no response or they shoot down your ideas then find others who feel the way you do.

I have read on other threads that people are angry and tired of the mayor to the point that they want him recalled. Well thats fine except who takes his place? That isn't a solution it's a reaction.

You probably think your opinion doesn't count but it does. Many years ago there was a small group who were tired of the republican leadership and we came within one vote of ousting the chairman. We almost did it and the leadership started to pay attention to our concerns.

Remember that whether you're a republican or democrat the greatest fear youcan cause them is their positions. The people who control your party are only going to be in power until either they retire, or are voted out. So please hang in there. Change is slow but it's also possible.

69372[/snapback]

You sound like someone who is involved in Politics.

Again I will say Undeclared is the only way to go!!!!

If you want change go undeclared if enough people from one party or another go back to undeclared that will send the message loud and clear.

Remember The Party in Charge can only have a standing with the main party leaders in the county or the state if they can deliver votes...especially in a primary. If 3/4 of their party change their affiliation to undeclared that would send a big message to the powers that be.

If you go to party leaders in Town and tell them you are unhappy with some thing and they think you are a threat look out for that political retribution.

Sometimes passive resistance sends a much better message.

If enough of you go undeclared the message will be loud and clear. Remember the county gets the change cards .

Guest Studies and Observations

If you want change go undeclared if enough people from one party or another go back to undeclared that will send the message loud and clear.

Remember The Party in Charge can only have a standing with the main party leaders in the county or the state if they can deliver votes...especially in a primary. If 3/4 of their party change their affiliation to undeclared that would send a big message to the powers that be.

If you go to party leaders in Town and tell them you are unhappy with some thing and they think you are a threat look out for that political retribution.

If enough of you go undeclared the message will be loud and clear. Remember the county gets the change cards .

69594[/snapback]

Lets face reality here....35-40% of people vote either Republican or Democrat, no mater WHAT the issues are, or who the candidates are, they're spring-loaded into that position. Everyone complains about the fring left or the fringe right hijacking the party..but by doing as YOU propose..you enable that to happen. The it IS the die-hard screaming Liberals, or Bible-thumping religious-right Conservatives who control the party..and in the end, the SAME 35-40% are going to vore that little letter. Better to try and get your voice heard IN the party, than to try and pass along a Message to people who wont pay attention because you DONT have a letter after your name. I'm saying this AS a registered Independant (Have been for decades) because i have problems with the Nonsense, lies and Corruption on BOTH sides I've never been a registered R or D..i vote based on the Issues and the individual candidates, NOT their party affiliations. Hell even though i lean heavily conservative, i voted for ALL democrats when Vartan was mayor, and voted Against Schundler and FOR McGreevy..and hee and there for Assembly and senate when they were in the correct place on issues i felt were important. On the National level, i have a hard time doing so mainly because i havent found Anyone that the dems have put forth that i dont find despicable..but that's just me (and that includes our esteemed Senators...but thats a discussion for another time)

Guest a proud american

69594[/snapback]

You bring up an excellent point. However, my politics now is much different from when I was involved in Kearny.

But I share your view with regards to the politicians ignoring the ones who elect them. I switched parties many years ago because I felt that the party no longer represented my interests. However, while I changed affillliations, I no longert vote straight party lines but instead I vote for the person who best represents my interests in my opinion.

Although it may appear that I am giving you my opinion about not leaving your party while I myself did, my point is that you sound like you really don't want to do it but feel you must. At-least you are concerned enough about voting. Don't worry about retribution, because, whichever party you belong to will know soon enough that you've changed your affiliation. And maybe you're right. If enough people do it change may happen. But good luck with whatever decision you or anyone else makes.