Police, FIre, and Teachers Contracts

Guest Time Bomb

Guest Time Bomb

Taxpayers of Kearny.

This letter is to inform you of a travesty of justice being administered under your noises.

Our Firefighters, Teachers, and Police officers are being grossly mistreated.

The Firefighters of Kearny are going on 5 and ½ years without a contract. Can you imagine not receiving a raise in over 5 years? Apparently a Judge ruled on a settlement but the Town is fighting it.

The Teachers are now working without a contract and are talking of a possible strike.

And the Police have reached an agreement with the Town, but the Town apparently refuses to implement this.

If anyone has any information please let us know.

Taxpayers of Kearny.

This letter is to inform you of a travesty of justice being administered under your noises.

The Firefighters of Kearny are going on 5 and ½ years without a contract.  Can you imagine not receiving a raise in over 5 years?  Apparently a Judge ruled on a settlement but the Town is fighting it.

The Teachers are now working without a contract and are talking of a possible strike.

And the Police have reached an agreement with the Town, but the Town apparently refuses to implement this.

firemen no contract. police no contract. now teachers no contract. why am I not surprised.

Taxpayers of Kearny.

The Firefighters of Kearny are going on 5 and ½ years without a contract.  Can you imagine not receiving a raise in over 5 years?  Apparently a Judge ruled on a settlement but the Town is fighting it.

:lol: you are victims of the RIGHT TO WORK LAW! it is union busting at its best! and you voted for it! do you remember christy whittman? she also went to the bob martinas school of gov! mayor bob of tampa was a good teacher! and you voted for it!!!!!!! read about the law and weep!!!!

Guest Needlessly Taxed !

Taxpayers of Kearny.

The Firefighters of Kearny are going on 5 and ½ years without a contract. Can you imagine not receiving a raise in over 5 years? Apparently a Judge ruled on a settlement but the Town is fighting it.

[/q

This, is the shabby way that the Santos Administration treats it's employees.

These arbitration awards have been awarded justly. The Santos Adminstration refuses to deal in good faith.

We, will carry the burden for the folly of the Santos Administration. It will be reflected in higher taxes. Taxes, will be going up! Not may, not if. They definitely will be going up. The shame is. Some of this increase is due to the Santos Administrations pure mismanagement of personnel matters.

If one studies the Santos Administration's actions. You have to come to the conclusion that they have mismanaged the town into trouble. Why else, stall these settlements and do what they did to the Reserve Servicemen and others recently?

Only time will tell! I hope That I'm wrong!

:( you are victims of the RIGHT TO WORK LAW! it is union busting at its best! and you voted for it! do you remember christy whittman? she also went to the bob martinas school of gov! mayor bob of tampa was a good teacher! and you voted for it!!!!!!! read about the law and weep!!!!

Actually, Police and Fire are barred by LAW from any kind of union action such as a strike..which IMO is rather a good thing, although i really dont think that either the PD or FD ever would actually strike, no matter what. Also, i believe that the teachers fall under this law as well and are subject to arrest if they strike. All 3 unions have in the past gone long periods without new contracts, and they all do their jobs..fot eh most part...IMO, the treachers refusal in the past to write College reccomendation latters because they have no contract is unjust on their parts, it's not the student's faults the town is unwilling to negotiate in a timely manner.

Guest Guestimate

Teachers have reached a tentative agreement. Waiting to vote. Know ALL your facts before posting. Never got anywhere near talking about striking.

Guest Time Bomb
Actually, Police and Fire are barred by LAW from any kind of union action such as a strike..which IMO is rather a good thing, although i really dont think that either the PD or FD ever would actually strike, no matter what.  Also, i believe that the teachers fall under this law as well and are subject to arrest if they strike.  All 3 unions have in the past gone long periods without new contracts, and they all do their jobs..fot eh most part...IMO, the treachers refusal in the past to write College reccomendation latters because they have no contract is unjust on their parts, it's not the student's faults the town is unwilling to negotiate in a timely manner.

What has NEVER happened in the past is that a union has gone over 5 1/2 years without an increase. Think about the cost of milk or gas 5 years ago. Now think if you were still living on the same pay trying to get by.

Not many people are getting raises in any profession.

Being a civil servant was always the last option for those that didn't want to work in the private sector. They have become glorified overpaid professions. That is due to the excessive salaries and benefits.

Most unions are taking concessions right now, even the UAW. It's time for the civil service employees to make the same sacrifice. This will cut taxes ASAP.

You can respond with the typical, who's going to put out the fires, or patrol your streets. Just my opinion.

I guarantee if we got rid of those unions and hired non-union personnel in these professions, there would be no degradation of service. Teachers might show up for work and the police may actually respond to my needs.

What has NEVER happened in the past is that a union has gone over 5 1/2 years without an increase.  Think about the cost of milk or gas 5 years ago.  Now think if you were still living on the same pay trying to get by.

True..to a point. If you remember, a previous administration, DID allow all the town unions to go over 3 years..costing the taxpayers, iirc, over 5 million dollars in retroactive pay, for the PD, FD, and CS-11 workers. Let's also be realistic, the people who have gone for the 5 1/2 years woithout the increase Arent exactly minimum-wage folks..NOT that this situation hasnt become ridiculous, but we ARE talking the bosses here, not the peons. That said, Realist would have everyone belive that it's the union's fault that negotiations take as long as they do, of COURSE the benevolent St Albert :rolleyes: would never hold up negotiations, or allow his acolyte, the Bisop of D'arco to do so!!!!! One would think however, that if the FD Officer's requests were so utterly unacceptable, that the arbitrators would rule for the town immediately...yet, this has been dragged out for an unconcionable period of time.

In the negotiations for the PD, the Arbitrator told the town, In so many words, that if they didnt start negotiating in good faith with the PBA, and moderate their demands, that he would rule immediately against the town..yet they STILL dragged things out, failing to show for meetings, and finally made their offer, which was accepted at the last possible minute...then dragged it out an extra MONTH, for an unnecessary 3rd reading, costing the taxpayers money every day.

What has NEVER happened in the past is that a union has gone over 5 1/2 years without an increase.  Think about the cost of milk or gas 5 years ago.  Now think if you were still living on the same pay trying to get by.

Actually, Police and Fire are barred by LAW from any kind of union action such as a strike but their union brothers can strike for them. Our Firefighters, and Police officers are being grossly mistreated and now EMS is going under, and our local Hospital is gone. Hey Santos what else do you plan for this great town?????? :rolleyes:

Being a civil servant was always the last option for those that didn't want to work in the private sector. They have become glorified overpaid professions.  That is due to the excessive salaries and benefits.

Most unions are taking concessions right now, even the UAW. It's time for the civil service employees to make the same sacrifice. This will cut taxes ASAP.

You can respond with the typical, who's going to put out the fires, or patrol your streets. Just my opinion.

I guarantee if we got rid of those unions and hired non-union personnel in these professions, there would be no degradation of service. Teachers might show up for work and the police may actually respond to my needs.

There are teachers that don't show up for work and they are allowed to do this? Be specific please or are these just a bunch of words you put together?

There are teachers that don't show up for work and they are allowed to do this? Be specific please or are these just a bunch of words you put together?

My point was the exorbitant amount of sick days they receive in addition to summers off.

Guest Guestimate
My point was the exorbitant amount of sick days they receive in addition to summers off.

Really!!!! They have to do a better job of planning when they get sick. July to August only please!!!!

p.s. - what is the exorbitant number of sick days that they get?

p.s.s. - Isn't that a negotiable term of the contract? Woldn't you negoitate more for yourself if you could?

Guest Diazism
Taxpayers of Kearny.

A "Travesty Of Justice" ????????? If that ain't a Diazism! I can smell it a mile away!!!

Yeah, well you weren't clear on your point and most teachers don't take too many sick days because there are financial incentives not to (among many much more important reasons). Summers off but you're not paid in the summer and cannot collect unemployment. There also are many more people that leave teaching for other occupations than leave other occupations for teaching. Why do you...... THINK..... that is? With summers OFF and all!

Why is there a teacher shortage in this country..............with summers off and all?

Why do districts have trouble keeping science and math teachers............you know, with those summers off?

And why didn't YOU go into teaching? You know you would have summers off...............and you could call in sick a lot! Would you? Call in sick a lot because you could? That would be your professional approach? Because.......you could?

I know considering my own children I would like teaching to be one of the highest paying occupations so that the competition to become a teacher would be fierce! The best and the brightest would compete to become doctors and teachers among some other professions (police, fireman, military, etc.)..................you know, where my children's education is considered anyway. There is a more IMPORTANT job?

Really!!!!  They have to do a better job of planning when they get sick.  July to August only please!!!!

p.s. - what is the exorbitant number of sick days that they get?

p.s.s. - Isn't that a negotiable term of the contract?  Woldn't you negoitate more for yourself if you could?

Hey... my opinion.... and again you missed my point....

July/August only...wow 8 weeks vacation.. must be Europe

Are you telling me that these professions are not a tremendous pct of the municipal budget...lower budget ... lower taxes.

Guest Guestimate

Are you telling me that these professions are not a tremendous pct of the municipal budget...lower budget ... lower taxes.

No...I didn't miss your point. But I noticed that you did not answer my questions.

Now, you also claim that they are "glorified overpaid professions". Do a little research and report back to us. What is the average teacher salary for their education level? What is the average salary outside the teaching profession for people of equal education?

Being a civil servant was always the last option for those that didn't want to work in the private sector. They have become glorified overpaid professions. That is due to the excessive salaries and benefits.

You guarantee. You do not have a clue as to what the civil service employee such as police & fire do. But the statement you make "This will cut taxes ASAP" Is just dead wrong!!!!!! Check with the Town Hall. Police & Fire are just a very small % of the budget. Taxes may go up due to the fact the police have to get almost 1 1/2 yr's of back pay, Fire will get 5 1/2 yr's back pay. Plus the fact that lawyers for the town get paid to stall the contracts so the Town Hall can say they did not raise your taxes. But now they have to put all the back pay into the Budget. Now they will say it was the police & fire. When all along it was "Mismanagement on the Mayors watch"

No...I didn't miss your point.  But I noticed that you did not answer my questions.

Now, you also claim that they are "glorified overpaid professions".  Do a little research and report back to us.  What is the average teacher salary for their education level?  What is the average salary outside the teaching profession for people of equal education?

I will never equate education to earnings. Some people love degrees and titles.

Again, my opinion is that these are overpaid professions with extensive benefits. My opinion.

Nice talking to you...and at least you're civil.

There are grammar school principals making over 90K (fact), teachers at the 70k level (fact). Personally, I wouldn't pay it.

Yeah, well you weren't clear on your point and most teachers don't take too many sick days because there are financial incentives not to (among many much more important reasons). Summers off but you're not paid in the summer and cannot collect unemployment. There also are many more people that leave teaching for other occupations than leave other occupations for teaching. Why do you...... THINK..... that is? With summers OFF and all!

Why is there a teacher shortage in this country..............with summers off and all?

Why do districts have trouble keeping science and math teachers............you know, with those summers off?

And why didn't YOU go into teaching? You know you would have summers off...............and you could call in sick a lot! Would you? Call in sick a lot because you could? That would be your professional approach? Because.......you could?

I know considering my own children I would like teaching to be one of the highest paying occupations so that the competition to become a teacher would be fierce! The best and the brightest would compete to become doctors and teachers among some other professions (police, fireman, military, etc.)..................you know, where my children's education is considered anyway. There is a more IMPORTANT job?

My kids are grown, but I remember oh we have a substitute again (enough about the sick days and summers off... they get paid for the summer).

I didn;t go into teaching because it wasn;t lucrative. After 20+ years in successful business world, I would love to teach right now and leave the private sector. Problem is my eduation level. However, I don;t think there would be anybody better qualified to teach than me. What do we do about that? Why must I have this or that degree.

I value education, but I don;t believe teachers make a difference. Personally, I liek to think I learned everything on my own. Read books, studied in advance as I had to sit with mediocre teachers and students. You either have a quest for learning or knowledge or you don't. I know you disagree, but I don;t think some masters degree'd teacher knows more than me. It proves they spent the time and energy passing classes.

I would much rather have successful individual (degree or not) teaching my kids.

I think we both value education, but I don't put the same emphasis on it. And don;t reply that our country is lacking and falling behind. That's bs.

By the way, I don;t work , I don;t get paid. In my early years, when I did, I never called in sick.

As for shortage.... where are these shortages.... not in the high paying suburban schools.

Actually, Police and Fire are barred by LAW from any kind of union action such as a strike but their union brothers can strike for them.  Our Firefighters,  and Police officers are being grossly mistreated and now EMS is going under, and our local Hospital is gone.  Hey Santos what else do you plan for this great town??????  :rolleyes:

You can't blame Santos for the Hospital deal. That, was the State of New Jersey.

All factions political,citizens, hospital union etc. fought it.

I have to agree with the rest of your post. The Santos Administration is abusing the Teachers, PD,FD and others.

It makes one believe that they are stalling everyone until after the election. Theywill then settle contracts and pay back raises. The tax payers will then get the bad news, in the form of a fat tax increase. Santos will be mayor and Corzine Governor.

What?!!!! LOL!

Eliminate police, fireman and teachers and your taxes can be real low!

Taxpayers of Kearny.

I worry more about the poor senior citizens trying to live on social security then a bunch of overpaid, underworked misfits the town employs.

Guest Guestimate
I will never equate education to earnings. Some people love degrees and titles.

Again, my opinion is that these are overpaid professions with extensive benefits. My opinion. 

Nice talking to you...and at least you're civil.

There are grammar school principals making over 90K (fact), teachers at the 70k level (fact). Personally, I wouldn't pay it.

You won't equate education to earnings because you know it won't help your argument.

Yes, those are facts, and they deserve every penny. Mostly, just for putting up with some of the parents and the spoiled brats they breed.

p.s. - I'm not a teacher (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express lat night. :ph34r: ).

Archived