Business Administrator

Guest Loki

[it appears that Jim Mangin and Loki are one and the same. Just look at the posts and the time. We all know how slow the administrator of this board is yet there was a post at 8:30 by Jim and another by Loki at 9:30. How could this be since it never appeared until the following morning

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jim, thanks for the info.  I do not think that A. Realist and I disagree about whether or not these reservists should be paid, they should.  My problem is that, like you, I feel that the state law does not preclude the town from paying these individuals; however no one is willing to tell Mr. D'Arco or this Chief Lapanski that their interpretation rings hollow.  In the times we live in, our employees who willingly serve their country should be honored and cherished, not hounded over whatever money the town may save.  I'm sure this amount is miniscule.  A mere pittance compared to what the Business Administrator's salary costs the taxpayer of Kearny.

I also understand one of Kearny's finest is to be activated:  Good Luck officer, and thank you for your service.

P. S. Jim, thanks again for providing first hand information when you have it.  Despite what your detractors may say, you are a stand up guy and though people,(myself included), may not always agree with you, your character should not be questioned.

Not that I would question your "unimpeachable" and "unbiased" source (Jimbo's memory), but I prefer to do my own research. My sources are: NJ Dept. of Community Affairs, Division of Local Government, Office of Management and Budget, Dept. of Personnel, US Department of Military and Veterans' Affairs and Division of Law. The applicable laws are NJSA 38A:4-4 and NJSA 38:23-1.

The amount of information on this subject is voluminous, but simply put it comes down to this: a member of the NJ National Guard (Firefighter Pettigrew's entity) is authorized to receive both full military and full town salary for 90 days per year; a member of the US Reserves is entitled to both salaries for 30 days per year. After these designated periods, the employee is entitled to extended leave WITHOUT PAY. The employee will lose no time/seniority and continues to accrue all other benefits as though he/she were on the job.

Following the period of authorized full pay, the Town of Kearny, although not legally obligated to do so, pays the differential between the employee's military pay and his/her civilian pay for the duration of active duty. Thus assuring that no one who serves loses financially.

Would Kearny like to reward our service people with both full salaries for their time on active duty? Of course. But keeping in mind that their positions have to be filled (and paid for) in their absence, that could be a very expensive proposition.

a member of the NJ National Guard (Firefighter Pettigrew's entity) is authorized to receive both full military and full town salary for 90 days; a member of the US Reserves is entitled to both salaries for 30 days. After these designated periods, the employee is entitled to extended leave WITHOUT PAY. The employee will lose no time/seniority and continues to accrue all other benefits as though he/she were on the job.

Actually, you're wrong in one point. FF Pettigrew is a US Naval Reservist, NOT an NJ Guardsman.

After much soul-searching, analytical thought, internal dialogue and seeking the advice of my therapist and clergyman, I've have decided not to grant your request!

Grant his request! humm sounds like a king, are you a king A.Realist?

I believe he might be included in both categories since the title "NJ National Guard" (as stated in DCA document LFN2004-14) includes NJ Air and Army Guard, State Guard and Naval Militia of which Pettigrew is a member.

I am really tired of hearing about Mr. Pettigrew.

I am not a big fan of what goes on in Kearny politics but Jack is not one who should be exploited on this web site or any other web site.

Mr. Pettigrew was one of the first to go down town on 911. Mr. Pettigrew spent time over seas and continues to serve his country when ever called and even if they do not call he volunteers.

More people should be like Mr. Pettigrew .

[SIZE=1]Did he leave for New Orleans Yet??[/size]

I am really tired of hearing about Mr. Pettigrew.

I am not a big fan of what goes on in Kearny politics but Jack is not one who should be exploited on this web site or any other web site.

Mr. Pettigrew was one of the first to go down town on 911. Mr. Pettigrew spent time over seas and continues to serve his country when ever called and even if they do not call he volunteers.

More people should be like Mr. Pettigrew .

[SIZE=1]Did he leave for New Orleans Yet??[/size]

I hope that wasn't an attempt at sarcasm because Jack Pettigrew is a stand-up guy!

[it appears that Jim Mangin and Loki are one and the same. Just look at the posts and the time. We all know how slow the administrator of this board is yet there was a post at 8:30 by Jim and another by Loki at 9:30. How could this be since it never appeared until the following morning

Interesting observation. Another option: Loki has an inside track on postings because of a close association with the administrator/webmaster and gets to see the responses before they're actually posted.

Mr. Mangin,

What was your vote towards the "policy decision", if in fact it was voted on during your time in office!!!!  Let me guess it was "NO", right?  Then I ask the current council members why the sudden change?

There never was a vote on this policy. Only actions require a vote of the Council. In this case the policy decision was to adhere to the letter of the law and NOT pay. There was no action - therefore, no vote. Like I said, the Mayor and Council were well within their authority to pay these servcemen. That action would've required a vote of the Town Council.

There was an interesting piece in Bob Braun's column today in the Star Ledger about another Kearny guy fighting this same flight. click here.

Jim Mangin

Interesting observation. Another option: Loki has an inside track on postings because of a close association with the administrator/webmaster and gets to see the responses before they're actually posted.

That's an interesting observation of an interesting observation. But both Loki and agree that Kearny should have paid Firefighter Pettigrew, as well as the other servicemen. What is your opinion? You state you agree with the decision to pay Pettigrew, because that's the law. What about the other servicemen? And please, no dance this time.

Jim Mangin

Yet another observation is that you are just plain wrong. SURREALIST, you must be used to this by now.

As for being one step ahead of me, only if I WANTED help, which I don't, so we're back to even footing.

And how would you know that?

As much as I enjoy this back and forth banter, we need to return to topic every now and then.

The Business Administrator or the Fire Chief or the Mayor and Council, but most definitely someone, is doing a GREAT disservice to town employees who serve in the military. Like many others, I feel this needs to stop, and only constant pressure will assure that some sort of change to this position will occur.

Realist, I know your opinion of the B.A. differs from mine, however we do agree that his decision with regards to this is wrong. Join me in calling for a change in the town policy with regards to our reservists.

Mayor and Council it is our town, you are elected to serve our collective interests, and I feel this needs to be changed yesterday. The ball now sits in your court. I trust you will do something right.

There never was a vote on this policy. Only actions require a vote of the Council. In this case the policy decision was to adhere to the letter of the law and NOT pay. There was no action - therefore, no vote. Like I said, the Mayor and Council were well within their authority to pay these servcemen. That action would've required a vote of the Town Council.

There was an interesting piece in Bob Braun's column today in the Star Ledger about another Kearny guy fighting this same flight. click here.

Jim Mangin

Jimbo,

You're purposely being misleading again! As far as I can ascertain, for every employee who has been activated, Kearny has paid the difference between his/her service pay and town salary. So at the end of the day, the employee is guaranteed not one penny less than his/her regular civilian pay and benefits. (After the allotted number of days at both full salaries has been exhausted.)

Frankly, if the dollar amount isn't too steep, I wouldn't be averse to them getting both full pays for the duration, but I guess the current system is the best compromise.

After reading Braun's column, I fail to see the correlation between that situation and this one---- totally different.

Guest D'Arco Hater

JOSEPH D'ARCO MUST GO!!!!!! HE'S THE SECOND HIGHEST PAID GUY IN CORRUPT HUDSON COUNTY!!!!! WHAT DOES THAT ELL YA!!!!!!

PAYING THROUGH THE HOSE!

Hoboken fire chief tops list of public employees' salaries

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

By MOLLY BLOOM and MICHAELANGELO CONTE

JOURNAL STAFF WRITERS

The highest paid municipal workers in Hudson County tend to be fire and police brass, according to a Jersey Journal analysis of local payrolls.

And, the survey of top earners in all 12 Hudson County municipalities found, Hoboken taxpayers are the most generous "employers" in two key areas.

Hoboken Fire Chief John Cassesa is the overall highest paid municipal employee - at $180,415 a year - while the city's police chief, Carmen La Bruno, is the second-highest paid and, at $177,700 a year, makes more than any other police chief in the county.

"I think that whatever I'm getting paid, I'm probably getting underpaid," Cassesa said Friday.

His salary, Cassesa noted, is negotiated through the fire officers union, Local 1076. Each rank makes a certain percentage more than the rank below by contract, the 37-year veteran of the department said. Given that, an increase in pay for lower ranks automatically increases the pay of those above.

Hoboken, the Mile Square City, may be tops in high salaries, but it's in the bottom half of the county by population. According to the 2000 Census, 38,577 people live in the Hudson River waterfront city, far below Jersey City's 240,055; it ranks seventh overall.

Among the few big earners in Hudson who are not cops or firefighters are North Bergen Township Attorney Herbert Klitzner, who makes $165,000 a year, and Kearny Business Administrator Joseph D'Arco, who makes $130,178.88.

Reached Friday, D'Arco said he had no comment on his salary.

TOMORROW: What your mayor makes . and what his financial disclosure form tells us.

NO COMMENT????? HOW 'BOUT THIS? THANK YOU KEARNY TAXPAYERS FOR ELECTING THESE NITWITS THAT WILL PAY WHATEVER I DEMAND.

As much as I enjoy this back and forth banter, we need to return to topic every now and then.

The Business Administrator or the Fire Chief or the Mayor and Council, but most definitely someone, is doing a GREAT disservice to town employees who serve in the military.  Like many others, I feel this needs to stop, and only constant pressure will assure that some sort of change to this position will occur.

Realist, I know your opinion of the B.A. differs from mine, however we do agree that his decision with regards to this is wrong.  Join me in calling for a change in the town policy with regards to our reservists.

Loki,

Just what do you understand Kearny's policy to be regarding active service and salary? You don't believe that they aren't getting paid at all, do you? Or are you of the opinion that they should receive both full military pay and full town salary for the duration of service?

JOSEPH D'ARCO MUST GO!!!!!!  HE'S THE SECOND HIGHEST PAID GUY IN CORRUPT HUDSON COUNTY!!!!! WHAT DOES THAT ELL YA!!!!!!

PAYING THROUGH THE HOSE!

Hoboken fire chief tops list of public employees' salaries

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

By MOLLY BLOOM and MICHAELANGELO CONTE

JOURNAL STAFF WRITERS

The highest paid municipal workers in Hudson County tend to be fire and police brass, according to a Jersey Journal analysis of local payrolls.

And, the survey of top earners in all 12 Hudson County municipalities found, Hoboken taxpayers are the most generous "employers" in two key areas.

Hoboken Fire Chief John Cassesa is the overall highest paid municipal employee - at $180,415 a year - while the city's police chief, Carmen La Bruno, is the second-highest paid and, at $177,700 a year, makes more than any other police chief in the county.

"I think that whatever I'm getting paid, I'm probably getting underpaid," Cassesa said Friday.

His salary, Cassesa noted, is negotiated through the fire officers union, Local 1076. Each rank makes a certain percentage more than the rank below by contract, the 37-year veteran of the department said. Given that, an increase in pay for lower ranks automatically increases the pay of those above.

Hoboken, the Mile Square City, may be tops in high salaries, but it's in the bottom half of the county by population. According to the 2000 Census, 38,577 people live in the Hudson River waterfront city, far below Jersey City's 240,055; it ranks seventh overall.

Among the few big earners in Hudson who are not cops or firefighters are North Bergen Township Attorney Herbert Klitzner, who makes $165,000 a year, and Kearny Business Administrator Joseph D'Arco, who makes $130,178.88.

Reached Friday, D'Arco said he had no comment on his salary.

TOMORROW: What your mayor makes . and what his financial disclosure form tells us.

NO COMMENT????? HOW 'BOUT THIS?  THANK YOU KEARNY TAXPAYERS FOR ELECTING THESE NITWITS THAT WILL PAY WHATEVER I DEMAND.

Kearny's Business Administrator is, in essence, the CEO of a multi-million dollar corporation. What did you expect, minimum wage?

As for the Mayor's monetary remuneration, it's pathetic. He deserves a raise.

Archived