Mary Torres say it aint so

Guest chck and balance

Guest chck and balance

Mary is it true that you voted to cut the school aids hours in half to make them part timers?And also cut their benefits off. Mary is it true that you are the mayors part time aid and you get Benefits, longevity? as well as other perks? Is this a double standard Mary?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest not a fan of the BOE

School aides were cut to part-timers years ago. Only a handful of aides are still full time - they were "grandfathered" when all aides went part time. They were made part time when the state of NJ demanded that all employees working (I think) 20 hours/week or more be given benefits. Most aides (except those noted above) work 19 hour weeks. As far as I know the BOE has never offered benefits to part time employees - aides, teachers, custodians, anyone!

Everyone is complaining about the cost of the BOE budget. The majority of school aides are there for a "little job" to keep themselves busy while their kids are in school Most do not need the benefits. Can you imagine the cost of benefits for all of the part timers in the district? The $800,00 cut wouldn't cover the expense.

Pick a battle worth winning.

Guest Guest
School aides were cut to part-timers years ago.  Only a handful of aides are still full time - they were "grandfathered" when all aides went part time.  They were made part time when the state of NJ demanded that all employees working (I think) 20 hours/week or more be given benefits. Most aides (except those noted above) work 19 hour weeks.  As far as I know the BOE has never offered benefits to part time employees - aides, teachers, custodians, anyone!

Everyone is complaining about the cost of the BOE budget.  The majority of school  aides are there for a "little job" to keep themselves busy while their kids are in school  Most do not need the benefits.  Can you imagine the cost of benefits for all of the part timers in the district?  The $800,00 cut wouldn't cover the expense.

The "handful" of aides (nine to be exact) were full time. We are not discussing the "majority of part time school aides". Nor are we referring to giving benefits to part timers, (unlike the Town). We are talking about nine individuals that were collecting a full salary with benefits, woke up and found out that their salary was cut in half and they no longer have health insurance. Some of whom depended on those benefits and have serious health concerns. To pay for those benefits, under cobra, they can now work all month, take that half of a pay check, just to keep their benefits. Shame on all those members who voted yes. How would they feel if they went to work tomorrow and found out their benefits were gone? "Do onto others as you would have others do onto you".

For your information the BOE has paid benefits and a full salary to teachers who only worked part time (css).

Also, you should understand that the BOE never wanted or expected the $800,000.

The budget is set at cap each year knowing it will get defeated. Then the deal is struck to give back half of what was asked for.

Guest Guest 100
School aides were cut to part-timers years ago.  Only a handful of aides are still full time - they were "grandfathered" when all aides went part time.  They were made part time when the state of NJ demanded that all employees working (I think) 20 hours/week or more be given benefits. Most aides (except those noted above) work 19 hour weeks.  As far as I know the BOE has never offered benefits to part time employees - aides, teachers, custodians, anyone!

Everyone is complaining about the cost of the BOE budget.  The majority of school  aides are there for a "little job" to keep themselves busy while their kids are in school  Most do not need the benefits.  Can you imagine the cost of benefits for all of the part timers in the district?  The $800,00 cut wouldn't cover the expense.

I agree, but if it is a fact that Ms. Torres receives benefits as a part timer when the town cries they have no money seems inappropriate. Do all towm part timers get benefits. I heard the jobs were split up to accomodate Ms. Torres.

Guest BOE Observer
The "handful" of aides (nine to be exact) were full time. We are not discussing the "majority of part time school aides". Nor are we referring to giving benefits to part timers, (unlike the Town). We are talking about nine individuals that were collecting a full salary with benefits, woke up and found out that their salary was cut in half and they no longer have health insurance. Some of whom depended on those benefits and have serious health concerns. To pay for those benefits, under cobra, they can now work all month, take that half of a pay check, just to keep their benefits. Shame on all those members who voted yes. How would they feel if they went to work tomorrow and found out their benefits were gone? "Do onto others as you would have others do onto you".

For your information the BOE has paid benefits and a full salary to teachers who only worked part time (css).

Also, you should understand that the BOE never wanted or expected the $800,000.

The budget is set at cap each year knowing it will get defeated. Then the deal is struck to give back half of what was asked for.

Didn't these aids only have the health benefits for the last 3 months????

Guest Town Observer
I agree, but  if it is a fact that Ms. Torres receives benefits as a part timer when the town cries they have no money seems inappropriate.  Do all towm part timers get benefits. I heard the jobs were split up to accomodate Ms. Torres.

Torres only gets paid for part time but puts in more hours than the full timers!!!!!

Guest Guest
I agree, but  if it is a fact that Ms. Torres receives benefits as a part timer when the town cries they have no money seems inappropriate.  Do all towm part timers get benefits. I heard the jobs were split up to accomodate Ms. Torres.

That is true, the job was split so an individual who lives in NY could have a part time position and collect benny's as well. No part timers on the town do not get the benefits that the Mayors aids get. Not to mention other perks.

Torres only gets paid for part time but puts in more hours than the full timers!!!!!

That's because she needs a life. What is she actually doing there? I mean mayors aid, what could that involve? Answering the phone, book weddings? That's a real tough job. Does anybody know how much she is paid for this position? The mayor keeps saying how much we are spending on benefits but he has no problem giving them to special individuals. The cash cow is being milked again.Open your eyes tax payers because while you struggle to pay for benefits she gets them for free, in a part time position! Oh! before I forget, if she punches in and out, does she get paid for all those long hours she puts in. If yes that would exceed the part time limit in hours and money. Why then do we need a second mayors aid? hummm! Pay those supporters AL it aint comming out of your wallet, But then again not much does. :lol:

Guest boe watcher
That's because she needs a life. What is she actually doing there? I mean mayors aid, what could that involve? Answering the phone, book weddings? That's a real tough job. Does anybody know how much she is paid for this position? The mayor keeps saying how much we are spending on benefits but he has no problem giving them to special individuals. The cash cow is being milked again.Open your eyes tax payers because while you struggle to pay for benefits she gets them for free, in a part time position! Oh! before I forget, if she punches in and out, does she get paid for all those long hours she puts in. If yes that would exceed the part time limit in hours and money. Why then do we need a second mayors aid? hummm! Pay those supporters AL it aint comming out of your wallet, But then again not much does.  :lol:

According to her 2004-2005 contract Mary Torres makes $18.91 per hour plus 2% for longevity and is entitled to salary increases consistent with the % increases provided to civil service employees which is 31/2%. She can work an additional 10 hours a week as long as the mayor approves it. She gets 70 hours vacation time, 80 hours sick time and 3 1/2 personal days and her birthday. " Happy Birthday Mary" Her unused sick time can be carried over from year to year. " Sweet" She gets paid for holidays and receives all health and pension benefits offered to other town employees. "Not bad for part time" And last but not least she is allowed to attend professional meetings, conferences and seminars relating to the responsibitlites of her position such as the league of municipalities. " Free weekend in Atlantic City payable buy us taxpayers" Realizing that the boe had to make budget cuts Mary and the rest except for Campbell and Castilli felt the need to take away the health benefits from a small percentage of the aides who got it. Many of the aides need these benefits and can't afford cobra. Mary's contract is a matter of public record like all other town employees. Feel free to check my numbers. While you down there can you pick me up a application cause i would love to have a part time job with the town. Also all the council members receive health benefits and they are also part time. Isn't this town great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Guest 1

Come on get serious. She isn't doing town work, she's doing political work for the mayor. Do they think we are all that stupid.

Guest ReliableSores

I have heard from a reliable source that Mary also gets unlimited use of the Municipal Helicopter and gets to put all of her meals on the Town of Kearny Account at the Greek's. Say it ain't so Mary.

Guest Guest
I have heard from a reliable source that Mary also gets unlimited use of the Municipal Helicopter and gets to put all of her meals on the Town of Kearny Account at  the Greek's.  Say it ain't so Mary.

She does not get unlimited use of the Municipal Helicopter because Councilwoman Sherry and Pettigrew take turns using it. They told the Mayor that he will eventually get to ride once he grows up.

Guest Guest
According to her 2004-2005 contract Mary Torres makes $18.91 per hour plus 2% for longevity and is entitled to salary increases consistent with the % increases provided to civil service employees which is 31/2%. She can work an additional 10 hours a week as long as the mayor approves it.  She gets 70 hours vacation time, 80 hours sick time and 3 1/2 personal days and her birthday.  " Happy Birthday Mary"  Her unused sick time can be carried over from year to year.  " Sweet"  She gets paid for holidays and receives all health and pension benefits offered to other town employees.  "Not bad for part time"  And last but not least she is allowed to attend professional meetings, conferences and seminars relating to the responsibitlites of her position such as the league of municipalities.  "  Free weekend in Atlantic City payable buy us taxpayers"  Realizing that the boe had to make budget cuts Mary and the rest except for Campbell and Castilli felt the need to take away the health benefits from a small percentage of the aides who got it.  Many of the aides need these benefits and can't afford cobra.  Mary's contract is a matter of public record like all other town employees.  Feel free to check my numbers.  While you down there can you pick me up a application cause i would love to have a part time job with the town.  Also all the council members receive health benefits and they are also part time.  Isn't this town great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To quote Mrs. Sherry, "Kearny people rock!"

Guest Guest

mea culpa (sp) I had no idea Mrs. Torres had such a sweet deal. While the BOE budget (which the public does have some say) is different from the municipal budget (which the public has no say) are in different books, I am surprised that since Mrs. Torres, who is involved in both, felt comfortable removing insurance coverage for these 9 (are you sure 9) aides. How far really could that go to balance the new budget? We need people with some more imagination and some real creative ideas to solve the budget problems.

Guest Facts and figures

So lets take a look at this. The BOE had the opportunity to save $120,000 by cutting the benefits of 9 full-time aids. Last time I checked, a full-time aid makes about $10 per hour for say 7 hours per day. I believe that all full-time aids only work during the school year which is 186 days a year, so lets say that a full-time aid makes around $13,020 gross per year.

Now comes the difficult part. If we divide $120,000 by 9 full-time aids, we get $13,333 per aid, which as you can see is more than they make per year.

I don't get it, what doesn't make sense about this? I think it was a no-brainer.

In my opinion, next on the chopping block should be the overwhelming custodial glut. Why can't we eliminate all full-time custodians and replace them with 2 part-timers each. My guess is that move alone would save the taxpayers a couple mill. After all, is there a particular skill-set there that requires the consistency of a full-timer?

Guest Guest
According to her 2004-2005 contract Mary Torres makes $18.91 per hour plus 2% for longevity and is entitled to salary increases consistent with the % increases provided to civil service employees which is 31/2%. She can work an additional 10 hours a week as long as the mayor approves it.  She gets 70 hours vacation time, 80 hours sick time and 3 1/2 personal days and her birthday.  " Happy Birthday Mary"  Her unused sick time can be carried over from year to year.  " Sweet"  She gets paid for holidays and receives all health and pension benefits offered to other town employees.  "Not bad for part time"  And last but not least she is allowed to attend professional meetings, conferences and seminars relating to the responsibitlites of her position such as the league of municipalities.  "  Free weekend in Atlantic City payable buy us taxpayers"  Realizing that the boe had to make budget cuts Mary and the rest except for Campbell and Castilli felt the need to take away the health benefits from a small percentage of the aides who got it.  Many of the aides need these benefits and can't afford cobra.  Mary's contract is a matter of public record like all other town employees.  Feel free to check my numbers.  While you down there can you pick me up a application cause i would love to have a part time job with the town.  Also all the council members receive health benefits and they are also part time.  Isn't this town great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So she does 50 hrs a week?

10 hours of that being overtime at time and a half.

Sweeeetttt----Sweeettttttttttt Swwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!

She may be classified as part time but can work 40 a week at that rate.

Are their time records available for public scrutiny?

With the bennys included she's got to be doing about 60G for "Part Time".

The town kills me with the play of words and parsing of terms-- :P:o:o:P

Guest Guest
So she does 50 hrs a week?

10 hours of that being overtime at time and a half.

Sweeeetttt----Sweeettttttttttt Swwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!

She may be classified as part time but can work 40 a week at that rate.

Are their time records available for public scrutiny?

With the bennys included she's got to be doing about 60G for "Part Time".

The town kills me with the play of words and parsing of terms-- :P  :o  :o  :D

Doesn't she drive a Mercedes? Sweeeeeeeeeeet!!! :unsure::lol:

Guest Guest_John Leadbeater_*

After just hearing that the Board of Education took the benefits away from the 9 full time aides, I was appalled. First of all one of them is my own mother. She desperately needs benefits since both my parents are not well and in their late 60s.She has been an aide for probably 15 or 16 years now. Many years ago other aides declined benefits to help defray the cost of these benefits. That allowed my mother the opportunity to keep hers. For that I am greatful. Thank you LADIES. But now we play politics as usual and take it out on the ones that cost the least. How come we still have now reduced the benefits of husbands and wifes that work for the town? We the town pay for these benefits yet the joint relative cannot use them because they cannot co-mingle benefits. Just elininating the double benefits paid for family members throughout the Board of Education and the Town of Kearny would save nearly 1 million dollars. How come we never made this move? Because it would piss too many people off. Never, because we are paying for benefits they can't us anyway.

Guest Milkitbaby
That's because her husband makes $200,000.00 plus per year.  Pretty good compared to the knuckleheads that post on this website!

If he's doing that great than why is she on the public tit for her "part-time" job? :P:P:P:P:ph34r:

Guest Guest 100
If he's doing that great than why is she on the public tit for her "part-time" job? :P  :P  :P  :P  :ph34r:

Ms. Torres's personal life or lack of it, is no one's business. The fact remains the mayor is paying her for being a loyal supporter. He arranged for this part time job with limited hours, plus benefits, sick time,vacation time, pension etc. all while she feathers his nest. Can you blame her for taking it, or do you blame him for giving it away? Councilwomen Pettigrew and Sherry got their kids town jobs, Doyle got her son a job for the bd. of ed., (Mr. Doyle became judge);can you blame Mary, she needs a reward too. I am surprised she found the nerve to take away someone else's medical benefits. That is a real act of courage in light of creating a volley ball team for $15,000. It is time to get rid of all of them, but who wants the job? so the abuses will continue, remember they speak with one voice.

Guest the joke is on us

Mary Torres gonna getcha if you don't watch out! Mary, is it true that you said kiss my booty to a tax payer while rushing out of the meeting 7/7/05? Were you upset about something? Please explain to us after you punch in of course @ 18.00 an hour because we know how valuable your time is. Plus!

Guest Guest 100

The mayor's aide was always one person, full time. Then, there were aides that were unpaid. Santos reactivated the position, split the hours, so he could give it to two people, with paid benefits, pension, vacation, longevity, sick time etc. In addition to the salary, an estimate of paid benefits ranges about $12-14,000. per year, per employee. So this sweetheart deal is costing us for 2 employees. What does the mayor's aide do you ask? She watches over him and everyone else and I mean WATCHES! Pettigrew and Sherry Doyle etc. had/have jobs for their kids and poor mary needed something to do and was rewarded by santos. In the town, if you work more than 20 hours, you are entitled to paid benefits.

Archived