Great News

Guest BushBacker

Guest a proud american
And The Shrub was doing what prior to 9/11, stll trying to find the White House liquor cabinet?

It's nice to see that as usual, BushBacker has his facts wrong. So in an attempt to try to explain it to him I am typing this slowly on the computer so he can read it.

When the Office of Management and Budget set the projected deficit numbers they stated that the "projected deficit" would be in the neighborhood of 250 Billion. They could just as easily projected it to be 230 billion. In actuality, the total amount of the deficit will not be known until after September 30, 2007 which is the last day of the budget year. October 1 starts the new budget year.

However, what isn't being taken into consideration are the off budget items such as Social Security, the money spent in Iraq etc.

Currently, the Government has borrowed from the various government trust funds money in excess of 250 to 300 billion which has to be at some point paid back. Also they haven't included in their assesment the additional money spent in Iraq. When you combine all of the money that has been spent and subtract it from the money received and adding the borrowing of trust fund money, the actual budget deficit will be in the neighborhood of 615 to 618 billion dollars. The budget deficit hasn't been reduced. In actuality its gone up but thats the problem with this administration. They put out their deficit numbers using smoke and mirrors.

With regards to the National Debt, it is now 9 trillion dollars with 2 trillion owed to foreign countries. If you google national debt there is an article by Steve Mc Gourty. For those who think that Bush is such a great leader they might think differently after they read his article. I doubt it but maybe.

It's nice to see that as usual, BushBacker has his facts wrong. So in an attempt to try to explain it to him I am typing this slowly on the computer so he can read it.

When the Office of Management and Budget set the projected deficit numbers they stated that the "projected deficit" would be in the neighborhood of 250 Billion. They could just as easily projected it to be 230 billion. In actuality, the total amount of the deficit will not be known until after September 30, 2007 which is the last day of the budget year. October 1 starts the new budget year.

However, what isn't being taken into consideration are the off budget items such as Social Security, the money spent in Iraq etc.

Currently, the Government has borrowed from the various government trust funds money in excess of 250 to 300 billion which has to be at some point paid back. Also they haven't included in their assesment the additional money spent in Iraq. When you combine all of the money that has been spent and subtract it from the money received and adding the borrowing of trust fund money, the actual budget deficit will be in the neighborhood of 615 to 618 billion dollars. The budget deficit hasn't been reduced. In actuality its gone up but thats the problem with this administration. They put out their deficit numbers using smoke and mirrors.

With regards to the National Debt, it is now 9 trillion dollars with 2 trillion owed to foreign countries. If you google national debt there is an article by Steve Mc Gourty. For those who think that Bush is such a great leader they might think differently after they read his article. I doubt it but maybe.

You'd think the 'national security' guys would be frothing mad about the amount of economic power given to other countries by our inability to balance our budget.

btw-link to the article for the Google-challenged:

http://www.cedarcomm.com/~stevelm1/usdebt.htm

Guest BushBacker

Sorry. You typed too fast, I couldn't read it.

Guest Guest
Sorry. You typed too fast, I couldn't read it.

I can safely speak for all of us in saying that we're not the least bit surprised.

You don't think. All you do is react from your biases. You could show a little bit of humility, especially on the point about the national debt, where you are just plain wrong. Absolutely dead wrong. But admitting the fact isn't what you right wingers do, is it. So you don't. And as your nation spins further out of control because you guys just make it up as you go along, all you do is dig your heels in deeper - in the ground, in the mud, in whatever you're stuck in.

It's important that we Americans respect each other, but to be blunt, you give us no reason to respect you. Not in the least. Respect facts. Respect reality. Then we can have a discussion.

Guest BushBacker
I can safely speak for all of us in saying that we're not the least bit surprised.

You don't think. All you do is react from your biases. You could show a little bit of humility, especially on the point about the national debt, where you are just plain wrong. Absolutely dead wrong. But admitting the fact isn't what you right wingers do, is it. So you don't. And as your nation spins further out of control because you guys just make it up as you go along, all you do is dig your heels in deeper - in the ground, in the mud, in whatever you're stuck in.

It's important that we Americans respect each other, but to be blunt, you give us no reason to respect you. Not in the least. Respect facts. Respect reality. Then we can have a discussion.

Thank you, Doctor. Thank you for your psychological evaluation, it was good for a laugh.

It seems pretty clear to me that BushBacker meant "deficit" instead of "debt" but I'm sure you guys have your motives for conducting the discussion the way you do.

Carry on.

That's probably what he read about that spawned his misconception, but it most certainly isn't what he meant, as evidenced by his own assertions to the contrary when challenged about it:

The "national debt", what is owed by the Federal Government is what I referred to.
I was quoting the "National Debt", the amount owed by the Federal Government, which Bush has reduced by 50 Billion since Jan.1st.

A simple "Oops, I misread the headline" would have been sufficient to write this off as a simple mistake. It would still be sufficient now. His "Sorry. You typed too fast, I couldn't read it." comment may have been a self-deprecating attempt to do that, but it's hard to tell, as that would be a bit obtuse and could reasonably be taken other ways.

It seems pretty clear to me that BushBacker meant "deficit" instead of "debt" but I'm sure you guys have your motives for conducting the discussion the way you do.

Carry on.

Had he not tried to cover his rear I might agree with you. I think I've been fair on this topic-I provided sources. It is hard to feel too much pity for someone defending an absolutely wrong position with such venom as this:

Apparently, in your universe the English language is not used.  You refer to the "Public Debt", the amount owed in mortgages and credit cards, etc. by the american public, which of course goes up as the population increases.  I was quoting the "National Debt", the amount owed by the Federal Government, which Bush has reduced by 50 Billion since Jan.1st. You should stick to what you know best, comic books.

I have to add something-wherever he got the story was probably touting the budget deficit reduction as an actual accomplishment. Confusion between the terms 'deficit' and 'debt' makes it easy to try and gain political capital with stories like this. Anyone who knows much about business or politics knows about inflating projected budgets though.