STOP SANTOS and NJMC NOW

Guest schulyer ave

Guest schulyer ave

Opening Keegan Landfill will lower property values and make flooding worse.We must demand for this to stop ..Iam wondering if the residents who get the sewage are aware of this? Lets just cap this landfill like we did to others.Stop NJMC and Santos NOW.

Guest Ms. De\Ray
Opening Keegan Landfill will lower property values and make flooding worse.We must demand for this to stop ..Iam wondering if the residents who get the sewage are aware of this?  Lets just cap this landfill like we did to others.Stop NJMC and Santos NOW.

I live on King St. and Iam one of the residents with the sewage problem. Iam aware of the re-opening of Keegan Landfill and I oppose it for many reasons.Since I had a long battle on the sewage problem everyone is asking me about the flooding on Schulyer Ave.I was told by the Town Engineer that Keegan added to our problem with flooding. Re-opening this landfill will lower our property values who will compensate us for our losses? Its not fair for hard working residents to lose money on their homes.Since the flooding will get worse who will be responsible for damages ? As for our quality of life its already impaired and the Mayor is aware of it.We should not lose one George Washington dollar bill on our homes for OTHERS to make a PROFIT.

Guest Guest
I live on King St. and Iam one of the residents with the sewage problem. Iam aware of the re-opening of Keegan Landfill and I oppose it for many reasons.Since I had a long battle on the sewage problem everyone is asking me about the flooding on Schulyer Ave.I was told by the Town Engineer that Keegan added  to our problem with flooding. Re-opening this landfill  will lower our property values who will compensate us for our losses? Its not fair for hard working residents to lose money on their homes.Since the flooding will get worse who will be responsible for damages ? As for our quality of life its already impaired and the Mayor is aware of it.We should not lose one George Washington dollar bill on our homes for OTHERS  to make a PROFIT.

Exactly who are these "others" who are going to make a profit?

Guest Ms. DeRay

All I can say is many people know what I mean. I hope you are concerned that re-opening Keegan is going to cause many serious problems. I would like to hear from our elected officials regarding property values,and on the flooding.

Guest Guest
All I can say is many people know what I mean. I hope you are concerned that re-opening Keegan is going to cause many serious problems. I would like to hear from our elected officials regarding property values,and on the flooding.

So, you make a statement emphasizing "OTHERS" and when questioned about it refuse to elaborate. It's no wonder you're going to lose this one.

Guest Ivy st.
I live on King St. and Iam one of the residents with the sewage problem. Iam aware of the re-opening of Keegan Landfill and I oppose it for many reasons.Since I had a long battle on the sewage problem everyone is asking me about the flooding on Schulyer Ave.I was told by the Town Engineer that Keegan added  to our problem with flooding. Re-opening this landfill  will lower our property values who will compensate us for our losses? Its not fair for hard working residents to lose money on their homes.Since the flooding will get worse who will be responsible for damages ? As for our quality of life its already impaired and the Mayor is aware of it.We should not lose one George Washington dollar bill on our homes for OTHERS  to make a PROFIT.

Santos is making a big mistake to reopen this landfill.

Excellent question!

Because it is these "others" that Kearny has to watch out for. The ones making the profit will be the NJ Meadowlands Commission. Think about it. The NJMC is planning massive projects for the meadowlands - a new Giants Stadium, the Xanadu project, EnCap golf courses. These massive projects will generate massive amounts of construction debris. The NJMC will then dictate to the construction companies where they are to dump their debris. And they can set whatever price they want.

As a result, the NJMC makes enough of a profit for them to stay in business. Remember, the NJMC receives no money in the State budget. They are completely self-sustaining. If the NJMC doesn't make money, the NJMC ceases to exist.

We in Kearny need to keep a close watch on who the next Governor appoints as the new Chair of the Meadowlands Commission. Susan Bass Levin recognized a long time ago that re-opening Keegan was the only way the NJMC could stay in business. And she successfully pulled Kearny's elected officials over to the dark side.

In the mid-90's Kearny residents fought the re-opening of Keegan. I remember arguing with former Chairwman Harriet Derman at several HMDC meetings. It wasn't until she was finally replaced as Chairwoman that the project was finally scrapped. Hopefully this will happen again.

Jim Mangin

Guest Guest 99
Excellent question!

Because it is these "others" that Kearny has to watch out for. The ones making the profit will be the NJ Meadowlands Commission. Think about it. The NJMC is planning massive projects for the meadowlands - a new Giants Stadium, the Xanadu project, EnCap golf courses. These massive projects will generate massive amounts of construction debris. The NJMC will then dictate to the construction companies where they are to dump their debris. And they can set whatever price they want.

As a result, the NJMC makes enough of a profit for them to stay in business. Remember, the NJMC receives no money in the State budget. They are completely self-sustaining. If the NJMC doesn't make money, the NJMC ceases to exist.

We in Kearny need to keep a close watch on who the next Governor appoints as the new Chair of the Meadowlands Commission. Susan Bass Levin recognized a long time ago that re-opening Keegan was the only way the NJMC could stay in business. And she successfully pulled Kearny's elected officials over to the dark side.

In the mid-90's Kearny residents fought the re-opening of Keegan. I remember arguing with former Chairwman Harriet Derman at several HMDC meetings. It wasn't until she was finally replaced as Chairwoman that the project was finally  scrapped. Hopefully this will happen again.

Jim Mangin

Construction debri comes from the demolition of structures, not the construction.

Yes, we fought the opening of Keegan, but that was a totally different concept. There were no plans for leechate removal and the debri would have included asbestos. There were no thoughts to recovering the land and no monies set aside for the town.

Finally, Jim, you'll argue with anyone, at any time because you are never wrong. Right? Wrong? Right? :blink:

Construction debri comes from the demolition of structures, not the construction.

Yes, we fought the opening of Keegan, but that was a totally different concept. There were no plans for leechate removal and the debri would have included asbestos. There were no thoughts to recovering the land and no monies set aside for the town.

Finally, Jim, you'll argue with anyone, at any time because you are never wrong. Right? Wrong? Right? :lol:

:lol::lol: ouch make my mind! and who do you work for???? santos???n/j /m/c???? or are you a garbage hauler looking to make a killing??????????? :blink::blink:

Guest guest

Finally, Jim, you'll argue with anyone, at any time because you are never wrong. Right? Wrong? Right? :lol:

Who is going to inspect the trucks so we know there is no asbestos? It cannot be done. We know its not the boy scouts operating the garbage industry. May I ask what ward of Kearny are you from?You have it all wrong its Santos who thinks he is right all the time. It seems many issues are brewing which will bring the truth out about Santos.I would like for someone to answer about property values and the flooding that will get worse. Lets hear from you.

Guest Guest 99
Who is going to inspect the trucks so we know there is no asbestos? It cannot be done. We know its not the boy scouts operating the garbage industry. May I ask what ward of Kearny are you from?You have it all wrong its Santos who thinks he is right all the time. It seems many issues are brewing which will bring the truth out about Santos.I would like for someone to answer about property values and the flooding that will get worse. Lets hear from you.

So, now that I bring up the past fights about asbestos, you're worried about it? No one gave an elephants butt about it before, yet now you want to make an issue of it. And you are wrong about detecting asbestos on board a vehicle. It's simply a matter of monitoring.

Yeah, we know who runs the garbage industry. Tony Soprano, right? Give it up.

3rd Ward. And, yes, I didn't vote for Jim.

Many issues? Everyone likes to say 'many issues", yet no one is willing to clarify the statement with facts. Please identify some of them.

What would you like to hear about property taxes. Believe me, if I could predict that, I wouldn't be here talking to you.

On the topic of flooding, I don't have any information stating that it will get worse. If you have any such data would you please post it. :lol:

Guest voter

You are right, NO ONE WILL BE ABLE TO INSPECT THE TRUCKS. This is the same crap Scardino played on us. Did Mayor Santos look into other ways of cleaning this site up? Or is this about the GREEN?

Guest second ward
B)  :lol: ouch make my mind!  and who do you work for???? santos???n/j /m/c???? or are you a garbage hauler looking to make a killing??????????? :lol:  :D

Its about MONEY.How sad all they see is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Its about MONEY.How sad all they see is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

:lol::D I SEE HOPE ! NOW YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THE PROBLEMS! AND THATS GOOD KEEP IT UP! ITS YOUR TOWN! NOT SANTOS OR NJMC! YOURS THE PEOPLE! B):lol:

You need to check your facts. The 1992 plan to re-open Keegan was the exact same concept as today's. There were plans to include a leachate collection system (like today) which would be transmitted via a KMUA feed to Passaic Valley (like today) and trucks would access via the Bergen Ave extension (just like today). Don't believe me? I'll send you a copy of the videotape of the public hearing from 1992.

You say there were "no thoughts to recovering the land," - wrong again. The 1992 plan was to open the area to development once Keegan was finally and properly closed. Today's plan is to turn the Keegan area into a recreational facility once properly closed.

You are correct about no money being set aside for the Town. But, the 1992 plan didn't shift the liability for closing Keegan to the Town of Kearny like today's plan does. That means that if the escrow fund falls short (which it surely will) the Town will have to pick up the tab to properly close the landfill. Big difference from 1992 - and one that should be red flag to anyone to Kearny. This plan is nothing more than a short-term infusion of cash with a huge price-tag down the road. A plan, not unlike the decision in the 1960's to allow dumping in the first place, where money comes in right now and everyone's happy. But the long term consequences impact our health and our pocketbook.

Right now there are "responsible parties" that, according to the law, are required to pay for the proper closing of Keegan. And those parties have a lot more money than the Town of Kearny. Why should we have to pay their bill?

Jim Mangin

I don't argue with anyone. I have opinions on a lot of subjects and I'm not basful about expressing them. That's what a forum like this is for.

I will always argue with anyone, like yourself, that blindly believes everything the Santos administration tells you about how great everything in Town is. It's not. And if you took the time to look at issues objectively and long-term you would also see that absolutely no consideration is ever given to tomorrow - only today. That's why our gross debt has doubled since Santos has been in office and the Mayor will gladly accept money from the Meadowlands Commission today, and to hell with the fact that our kids will pay the price ten years from now (just like they'll be paying off our bonds from today). It's the same old Santos story.

Jim Mangin

On the topic of flooding, I don't have any information stating that it will get worse. If you have any such data would you please post it. :lol:

In 2001 the Town commissioned Neglia Engineering to study the flooding problem in the Schuyler Avenue section of the Second Ward. That study shows that the flooding problem was caused by the Keegan Landfill.

"We have conservatively estimated the potential for storm water in the Keegan Landfill section of the Kearny Marsh to be approximately 100 acre-feet, which is equal to 25 football fields, 3 feet deep. In 1972 when the landfill was closed down, aerial photographs show the landfill changed the course of water which flowed through this area. The previous open system of swales and railroad culverts was virtually eliminated by the landfill. This created a wedge which blocked the drainage from the upland and Kearny Marsh systems, thus raising the water elevation in the Kearny Marsh, which in turn caused flooding along the fringes of the developed areas [shuyler Avenue].

"Storm Water Elevation Study - Town of Kearny," prepared by Neglia Engineering, Jan. 2001 Sheet 24 of 38

I hope this clarifies the cause of the flooding once and for all.

Jim Mangin

Guest second ward
In 2001 the Town commissioned Neglia Engineering to study the flooding problem in the Schuyler Avenue section of the Second Ward. That study shows that the flooding problem was caused by the Keegan Landfill.

"We have conservatively estimated the potential for storm water in the Keegan Landfill section of the Kearny Marsh to be approximately 100 acre-feet, which is equal to 25 football fields, 3 feet deep. In 1972 when the landfill was closed down, aerial photographs show the landfill changed the course of water which flowed through this area. The previous open system of swales and railroad culverts was virtually eliminated by the landfill. This created a wedge which blocked the drainage from the upland and Kearny Marsh systems, thus raising the water elevation in the Kearny Marsh, which in turn caused flooding along the fringes of the developed areas [shuyler Avenue].

"Storm Water Elevation Study - Town of Kearny," prepared by Neglia Engineering, Jan. 2001 Sheet 24 of 38

I hope this clarifies the cause of the flooding once and for all.

Jim Mangin

Iam outraged over this Mayor Santos raising our taxes ,putting us in the red, opening a landfill 4 blocks from my home and now I find out Schulyer Ave. flooding will be worse.How can Santos and the NJMC get away with this?What about our homes?

Iam outraged over this Mayor Santos raising our taxes ,putting us in the red, opening a landfill 4 blocks from my home and now I find out Schulyer Ave. flooding will be worse.How can Santos and the NJMC get away with this?What about our homes?

B)B) KEEP ASKING! DO NOT LET THIS GET AWAY!YOU ARE RIGHT YOUR HOME!DO NOT LET SANTOS DO THIS! B)B)

• 13 years later...
Guest Long Live Mangin
On 6/29/2005 at 9:44 PM, Jim Mangin said:

Excellent question!

In the mid-90's Kearny residents fought the re-opening of Keegan. I remember arguing with former Chairwman Harriet Derman at several HMDC meetings. It wasn't until she was finally replaced as Chairwoman that the project was finally scrapped. Hopefully this will happen again.

Jim Mangin

Mayor Santos standing out in front of the Keegan Landfill.  He should go find former Councilman Jim Mangin and apology to him for stating that he was "grandstanding" when he stated at the council meeting back in 2005 that the Keegan Landfill should not be opened.  The Observer should go find Jim and interview him.  KOTW search gets you the facts and discussions.  It's all here.  Santos is at fault and he should admit he caused this landfill to open and it got us some money but then the property was taken from us and handed over to NJSEA via NJ

Guest Harrisonian

Judge stops dump

A Superior Court Judge stopped a dump in Vernon.  Keegan making 17 million for NJSEA after stealing Kearny's property and now is allowing sludge to be dumped on top of Chinese sheetrock way past the amount of debt they said they would dump (their predecessor said they would dump).  Can't we stop this madness already.

Please stop trying to ruin the good name of the Honorable Mayor Alberto Santos. Stop being haters and spread love. Paying higher taxes is a privilege that the residents can afford. The hate filled comments on here are disturbing many people and their safe spaces are being violated. The micro-aggressions are intolerable!  Also, please hire more Firefighters because several relatives of elected officials in West Hudson need a paycheck. Any money to remediate the mild odor from the safe disposal area should be immediately redirected to the fire department. Every dollar spent on the safe disposal area could be in a Firefighters pocket. The smell isn't that bad. Thank you. 🔥

Guest Lifetime Kearnian

I don't even need an alarm clock in the morning because the wave of sewage and sulfur invades my house by 4AM.  Hopefully they send somebody by again to tell me that they don't smell anything and can't be sure the smell is even coming from Keegan.  I am also a huge fan of both the flooding after Sandy that began ruining my foundation and the continuous flooding every time it downpours that will end up finishing the job.  A big thank you to the people collecting my tax money and making sure everything is all up to snuff!