good job mayor

Guest emergency room

Guest emergency room

I just heard about a little over a week ago a teenage kid died at the high school! Thats a shame considering the hospital is a block away.......but they were closed so they had to go to elsewhere. TOTAL SHAME........THE MAYOR GOT WALKED ON.......ALL MIGHTY ONE DONT YOU HAVE THE POWER TO OPEN THE ER BACK UP ...................................ASK D'ARCO HE DOES EVERYTHING ELSE

I just heard about a little over a week ago a teenage kid died at the high school!  Thats a shame considering the hospital is a block away.......but they were closed so they had to go to elsewhere.  TOTAL SHAME........THE MAYOR GOT WALKED ON.......ALL MIGHTY ONE DONT YOU HAVE THE POWER TO OPEN THE ER BACK UP ...................................ASK D'ARCO HE DOES EVERYTHING ELSE

:lol::lol: ya he is a real winner! west hudson and the dump! ya a real winner! :lol::lol::lol:

Guest Guest 99
I just heard about a little over a week ago a teenage kid died at the high school!  Thats a shame considering the hospital is a block away.......but they were closed so they had to go to elsewhere.  TOTAL SHAME........THE MAYOR GOT WALKED ON.......ALL MIGHTY ONE DONT YOU HAVE THE POWER TO OPEN THE ER BACK UP ...................................ASK D'ARCO HE DOES EVERYTHING ELSE

I didn't hear about any death at the high school, but if it is true, my condolences to the family.

However, I find it totally despicable for anyone to use this type of incident as political fodder. If you have problems with the Mayor or a Council person, fine. Confront them But don't use the death of a child, or anyone for that matter, to fuel your political agenda.

Guest guest

We are doomed if we continue to live in this Town Of Kearny. I agree ALL MIGHTY ONE should have taken this issue to other attorneys. Really does this man Santos really care about our health and well being. I do not think so. I hope this family takes this to a attorney. Its sad but thats the only way people get heard . We all should be up in arms over this.

Guest guest of guests
I didn't hear about any death at the high school, but if it is true, my condolences to the family.

However, I find it totally despicable for anyone to use this type of incident as political fodder. If you have problems with the Mayor or a Council person, fine. Confront them  But don't use the death of a child, or anyone for that matter, to fuel your political agenda.

Its the truth, and sometimes the truth hurts... He is and was the mayor when the ER closed. Then you expect me to sit and read the observer where they say 'well the closing has not had many affects on the emergency care in west hudson' until now!!! Not everything in politics is pretty!

Guest StudiesandObservations

What precisely was the administration supposed to DO??? If St Barnabas decided to close their doors, last time i looked, they were a private entity and could do so. Im no Santos fan, as anyone who has read here for the past few years knows, but he really didnt have a dog in this hunt. You can sign all the petitions you want (And I and many others did) but in the end, you cannot force a business to do anything they dont want to do. Id be more worried about the fact that KEMS will ONLY transport patients to Clara Maas, and NOT the hospital that they wish to do (Within reason) as the State Dept of Health rules state.

Guest Guest 99
Its the truth, and sometimes the truth hurts... He is and was the mayor when the ER closed.  Then you expect me to sit and read the observer where they say 'well the closing has not had many affects on the emergency care in west hudson' until now!!!  Not everything in politics is pretty!

NO, IT IS NOT THE TRUTH!

The ER at West Hudson is NOT closed during the day when the student died according to the article below.

You are right on your point, however, that, "Not everything in politics is pretty". Especially when people like you attempt to blame someone for something they have no control over. Something, in fact, that is a total fabrication. And now you have others making doom and gloom comments about the topic. Get a life, get a job and get new glasses.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

By ROSE DUGER

JOURNAL CORRESPONDENT

KEARNY - St. Barnabas Health Care System has petitioned the state Department of Health to close the emergency room at the former West Hudson Hospital.

Marilyn Reilly, a spokeswoman for the Department of Health, confirmed that the Livingston-based health care system filed its application with the state earlier this month.

The state is in the process of reviewing the application to determine if it is complete, according to Reilly.

The spokeswoman would not comment on specifics regarding the application or a timetable for the closing of the emergency room.

"None of that is public information until the application is determined to be complete," she said. "The whole process of determining if it's complete takes varying amounts of time."

A spokeswoman for the St. Barnabas Health Care System did not return a phone call seeking comment.

The health system received permission from the state to close the emergency room nightly from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. beginning April 24.

At the time, a system spokeswoman cited lack of use during the overnight hours and reimbursement issues as reasons for the decision.

Two years ago, the state approved elimination of acute care at West Hudson Hospital, which is now known as the Clara Maas Medical Center - West Hudson Division.

That application by St. Barnabas sparked a flurry of rallies by area residents, doctors and community leaders who protested the closing of the area's only hospital.

Under state law, St. Barnabas was required to continue operating an emergency room at the West Hudson location for a year. Acute care services at the former hospital closed in December 2003.

If the state approves St. Barnabas's current application, the closest emergency rooms for West Hudson area residents will be Clara Maas Medical Center in Belleville and St. Michael's Medical Center and St. James Hospital, both in Newark.

Concerned residents have argued that four bridges connecting Kearny, Harrison and East Newark with Belleville and Newark become bottlenecked at rush hour, which could delay ambulances.

Guest Guest
What precisely was the administration supposed to DO???  If St Barnabas decided to close their doors, last time i looked, they were a private entity and could do so.  Im no Santos fan, as anyone who has read here for the past few years knows, but he really didnt have a dog in this hunt.  You can sign all the petitions you want (And I and many others did) but in the end, you cannot force a business to do anything they dont want to do.  Id be more worried about the fact that KEMS  will ONLY transport patients to Clara Maas, and NOT the hospital that they wish to do (Within reason) as the State Dept of Health rules state.

I am told by KEMS that they will transport to any local hospital (within reason as you said), not just Clara Maass. There is more to their policy so you need to ask someone at KEMS to clarify it with you. The way things are going, there might not be many local hospitals left to go to soon. I hear St. Barnabas is looking into closing 2 more hospitals in the next year or so. Irvington General is one. I don't know the other one.

Guest sum of it all

In all fairness don't dump this on the Mayor. There was very little he could have done to prevent the ER from being closed. The greedy ones are responsible for the closing not Al. You can't tag him with this one. After all his family lives here as well and their subject to the same service we are. Find something else to throw at him but not this. He really tried his best to prevent the closeing and was truly concerned. Get some real issues not the unfortunate death of some kid who's life was cut short. Have some respect for that familys loss. Think about it.

Guest Kelly Clarkson

Impeach the Mayor!!! Something has to be done to limit the amount of time the mayor can serve in office. There should be a two term limit. Plus he has to do something about his hair. All I got to say is “God Damn! Nice hair I guess!!” Maybe try a toupee or a **** ***** off of lovely Kearny Ave. Due to the over-population of ***** on Kearny Ave! (if you know what I mean!)

;)

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

Guest A. Realist
Impeach the Mayor!!!  Something has to be done to limit the amount of time the mayor can serve in office.  There should be a two term limit.  Plus he has to do something about his hair.  All I got to say is “God Damn! Nice hair I guess!!”  Maybe try a toupee or a **** ***** off of lovely Kearny Ave.  Due to the over-population of ***** on Kearny Ave! (if you know what I mean!)

:ph34r:

Something CAN be done about the time a mayor serves in office----defeat him!! (Ah, but you're all talk just like the rest of 'em.)

Between your fragmented sentences and all the editing necessary, your post was rather disjointed. So, no, I don't know what you mean.

And good hair is important in a mayor because.......? Didn't we have a mayor with good hair once? Oh, yeah--Leo Vartan. That's what he's famous for, isn't it?

Guest Guest
Something CAN be done about the time a mayor serves in office----defeat him!! (Ah, but you're all talk just like the rest of 'em.)

Between your fragmented sentences and all the editing necessary, your post was rather disjointed. So, no, I don't know what you mean.

And good hair is important in a mayor because.......? Didn't we have a mayor with good hair once? Oh, yeah--Leo Vartan. That's what he's famous for, isn't it?

It's good to see that there are ENGLISH teachers on KOTW. Maybe you can go on the Ave. and teach people English, where it is need. I’m pretty sure people aren’t on here to check out sentence fragments and correct other peoples post. Apparently you must be a teacher looking for a summer job. Just to check I ran my last post through the spelling and grammar check on Microsoft Word and it came out with no errors. So apparently you are not teaching our kids to well about fragmented sentence, and that is why English is not spoken on the Ave. Thank you

Guest Old 2nd Warder
Impeach the Mayor!!!  Something has to be done to limit the amount of time the mayor can serve in office.  There should be a two term limit.  Plus he has to do something about his hair.  All I got to say is “God Damn! Nice hair I guess!!”  Maybe try a toupee or a **** ***** off of lovely Kearny Ave.  Due to the over-population of ***** on Kearny Ave! (if you know what I mean!)

:rolleyes:

Hey, play fair and quit pickin on the mayor's hair, A. Realist loves him just the way he is, the Pee Wee look and all.

It's good to see that there are ENGLISH teachers on KOTW.  Maybe you can go on the Ave. and teach people English, where it is need.  I’m pretty sure people aren’t on here to check out sentence fragments and correct other peoples post.  Apparently you must be a teacher looking for a summer job.  Just to check I ran my last post through the spelling and grammar check on Microsoft Word and it came out with no errors.  So apparently you are not teaching our kids to well about fragmented sentence, and that is why English is not spoken on the Ave.  Thank you

Your spelling and grammar check didn't work: need should be needed; peoples should be people's; post should be posts; there should be a comma after Apparently; there should be another comma after check; to should be too; sentences should be sentences; and a period after Thank you; to say nothing about the fragmented sentences. There might be few more issue I missed. Thank you.

JW

Guest BERT DIAZ PUBLIC SCHOOL PRINCIPA

Its the truth, and sometimes the truth hurts... He is and was the mayor when the ER closed. Then you expect me to sit and read the observer where they say 'well the closing has not had many affects on the emergency care in west hudson' until now!!! Not everything in politics is pretty!

I was a big supporter of Mayor Santos at one time and remember him promising at his fund raisers that west hudson hospital's doors would remain open if he and his counsil underlings would be elected. I still have the propaganda buttons,flyers and such other artifacts that he used in his campaign,knowing that he could not deliver on his promises.That is one of the many falsifications he propagated and why I am now one of his biggest adversaries.It is a great tragedy that we do not have an ER in Kearny with the taxes we pay.It is even a greater anguish to know that young boy lost his life and maybe, just maybe .............it might have been prevented.

I was a big supporter of Mayor Santos at one time and remember him promising at his fund raisers that west hudson hospital's doors would remain open if he and his counsil underlings would be elected. I still have the propaganda buttons,flyers and such other artifacts that he used in his campaign,knowing that he could not deliver on his promises.That is one of the many falsifications he propagated and why I am now one of his biggest adversaries.It is a great tragedy that we do not have an ER in Kearny with the taxes we pay.It is even a greater anguish to know that young boy lost his life and maybe, just maybe .............it might have been prevented.

I agree with some of what you say, but learn to spell. it's not counsil it's council Ok Mr principa!! Get your act togeather Bert your to easy. Do you think people are going to buy your BS I'm concerned line. Think Bert! you have all summer,just think! CR

Guest A. Realist

Bert,

Stop it! It really pains me to see you embarrass yourself any further. Mayor Santos never bartered votes for West Hudson Hospital and you know it! I was at practically every meeting and rally. What he, and other elected officials did, was to plead with the State and Saint Barnabas to keep the hospital functioning. Their only promise was to do all they could, and they did. In the final analysis, the hospital network is a private institution (albeit State regulated) that makes its own decisions, however erroneous, based on business criteria and not on human need.

You obviously are totally uninformed as to the circumstances surrounding that youngster's death, so why even discuss it? That kind of speculation amounts to nothing less than shameless exploitation of a very tragic event.

Bert,

Stop it! It really pains me to see you embarrass yourself any further. Mayor Santos never bartered votes for West Hudson Hospital and you know it! I was at practically every meeting and rally. What he, and other elected officials did, was to plead with the State and Saint Barnabas to keep the hospital functioning. Their only promise was to do all they could, and they did. In the final analysis, the hospital network is a private institution (albeit State regulated) that makes its own decisions, however erroneous, based on business criteria and not on human need.

You obviously are totally uninformed as to the circumstances surrounding that youngster's death, so why even discuss it? That kind of speculation amounts to nothing less than shameless exploitation of a very tragic event.

[/quote.

Tell that to the suffering parents of the deceased boy. Tell them how well prepared we are in the Town of Kearny for all medical emergencies.Tell them about the promises,the buttons, the false hope the Mayor sold us to buy our votes regarding West Hudson hospital. Tell them that the first responsibility of all administrations is in the area of PLANNING and PREPARATION.Tell them that if Kearny was better prepared for medical emergencies.........maybe, just maybe............. their son might still be alive.........See what they say and then get back to us.. " REALIST"...........

Guest Guest

about west hudson hospital. If it is under the name of clara maass west hudson division,then why can't they open the hospital under clara maass. How can thesay there's not enough money. People that are going to belleville would be going to kearny if it was open. And that hopital would be filled. Because ts over crowed in belleville. Please consider.

Guest StudiesandObservations
about west hudson hospital. If it is under the name  of clara maass west hudson division,then why can't they open the hospital under clara maass. How can thesay there's not enough money. People that are going to belleville would be going to kearny if it was open. And that hopital would be filled. Because ts over crowed in belleville. Please consider.

Considering in the year prior to it's closing, WHH was one of the top 5 earners for the St Barnabas Medical Group, I've always wondered just HOW it managed to become that much of a financial burden. That said however, Now that they have closed the doors, you will NOT see them open again as a hospital for acute care. The problem lies with Current Dept of Health regulations, and the age of the facility. See, they were covered by grandfather clauses on a lot of deficiencies when they were open. As soon as WHH closed, then those clauses were null and void. In order to get an operating license now, they would have to gut the whole place and refurbish it fromthe ground up. In essence it would be cheaper to knock it down and start from Scratch..Much the same as Jersey City Medical Center...the old building needed so much work done to it to modernize, they found it was cheaper to build a whole new hospital.

NONE of this lies at the door of the Mayor, Council or townspeople. The decision to close West Hudson to acute Care, and now to petition to close the ER for good is a business decision, and there isnt a damn thing the Mayor, council or townspeople can do about it, other than what we have already done. We signed out peeetitions, we attended the mettings, and many of us made our voices heard..unfortunately it fell on deaf ears to anything but the money line. I'm no fan of Mayor Santos, omany of the incumbents, but while they do have their flaws, as do we all, this issue was simply out of all of our control.

Guest A. Realist

Bert,

[/quote.

Tell that to the suffering parents of the deceased boy. Tell them how well prepared we are in the Town of Kearny for all medical emergencies.Tell them about the promises,the buttons, the false hope the Mayor sold us to buy our votes regarding West Hudson hospital. Tell them that the first responsibility of all administrations is in the area of PLANNING and PREPARATION.Tell them that if Kearny was better prepared for medical emergencies.........maybe, just maybe............. their son might still be alive.........See what they say and then get back to us.. " REALIST"...........

Bert,

You are the worst kind of idiot---an educated one! What a waste!

Bert,

You are the worst kind of idiot---an educated one! What a waste!

Tell that to the parents of the boy who is no longer among the living...In my 47 years living in this town, we have always had a Mayor and we have always had a hospital. We still have a Mayor but we have NO hospital worth writing about.FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE HISTORY OF KEARNY WE HAVE NO HOSPITAL,but we do have a Mayor...Who fault is it?

Archived