What a great town!

Guest Councilwoman Barbara Sherry

Saturday was a busy and emotional day in town. Baby Cecilia was laid to rest at a Mass concelebrated in a packed St. Cecilia's Church. People who never knew this little girl, wept and prayed for her and her family. Although the circumstances were tragic, it was heartwarming to see so many mourners gather for her farewell.

It was ironic that the next scheduled event was the opening of Little League. In a Norman Rockwell setting, scores of lively kids anxiously approached the beginning of a new season as parents and grandparents looked on with pride.

Later in the evening, I attended the VFW Awards Night where Policeman, Firefighter and Teachers of the Year and student essayists were honored.

The day ended with a fundraiser sponsored by several residents to aid a local family experiencing some hardships following the untimely death of their mother. Many people lent their talents and hard work to make it a huge success; and even though the event was born out of a catastrophe, it brought so many different factions toghether in a cordial atmosphere.

Kearny people rock!

Remind me again why Kearny is such a terrible place to live.

You're 100% right - Kearny people do rock!

:lol:

I just read the NY Daily News post about the Kearny Observer, and I think it's disgraceful, and awful how their publisher has been plagerizing her weekly column for the past 2 years! Not to mention, with the all the help she "stole" from various sources, you'd think she would have been intelligent enough put all of the information into a masterpiece, and not the trash she normally writes about.

:lol:

Guest Guest
Saturday was a busy and emotional day in town.  Baby Cecilia was laid to rest at a Mass concelebrated in a packed St. Cecilia's Church.  People who never knew this little girl, wept and prayed for her and her family.  Although the circumstances were tragic, it was heartwarming to see so many mourners gather for her farewell.

It was ironic that the next scheduled event was the opening of Little League.  In a Norman Rockwell setting, scores of lively kids anxiously approached the beginning of a new season as parents and grandparents looked on with pride.

Later in the evening, I attended the VFW Awards Night where Policeman, Firefighter and Teachers of the Year and student essayists were honored.

The day ended with a fundraiser sponsored by several residents to aid a local family experiencing some hardships following the untimely death of their mother.  Many people lent their talents and hard work to make it a huge success; and even though the event was born out of a catastrophe, it brought so many different factions toghether in a cordial atmosphere.

Kearny people rock!

Just take a stroll down Kearny Avenue south of the Town Hall. :lol:

Guest Voter

It so great that the Mayor is paving Belgrove Drive in front of two voting districts with the largest turnout in the 1st Ward during Election Day. And the new Town of Kearny website fails to have in its Calendar of Events the School Board Election. The new very expensive air conditioning units in Town hall do not work and the construction to build them (including cutting holes in walls that may effect the integrity of the building) could have been avoided with simply airconditioning units which were less expensive, more efficient, and less intrusive to the integrity of the building.

Guest Guest
Yeah that crew from the Ulster Club is outta control

Sorry I couldn't resist

Is that the best Kearny Ave has to offer, a bunch of guys drinking their lives away?

Open your eyes and take a good look at the avenue.

Is that the best Kearny Ave has to offer, a bunch of guys drinking their lives away?

Open your eyes and take a good look at the avenue.

I guess it's true that we see what we're predisposed to see. If you choose to see only the negative, that's what you'll see. I walk Kearny Avenue almost every day. I see the efforts being made to make our commercial area more attractive. I see the refurbished Town Hall Park and improvements to the Town Hall itself. The main Library and the branch are both undergoing facelifts.

Kearny Avenue is lined with various ethnic markets and specialty shops---imports from everywhere from the British Isles to South America and the Mediterranean. Did you ever go into that consignment shop by Lincoln School? They have some very interesting decorator pieces. There are also a number of great little restaurants to choose from. Where else could you have fish and chips one night, and paella the next?

By far the most fascinating part of a walk on Kearny Avenue is the wide variety of interesting people you encounter. Great faces, great stories from all over the world. But I guess you'd never speak to them. How sad.

Guest Guest
I guess it's true that we see what we're predisposed to see.  If you choose to see only the negative, that's what you'll see.  I walk Kearny Avenue almost every day.  I see the efforts being made to make our commercial area more attractive.  I see the refurbished Town Hall Park and improvements to the Town Hall itself.  The main Library and the branch are both undergoing  facelifts.

Kearny Avenue is lined with various ethnic markets and specialty shops---imports from everywhere from the British Isles to South America and the Mediterranean.  Did you ever go into that consignment shop by Lincoln School?  They have some very interesting decorator pieces. There are also a number of great little restaurants to choose from.  Where else could you have fish and chips one night, and paella the next?

By far the most fascinating part of a walk on Kearny Avenue is the wide variety of interesting people you encounter.  Great faces, great stories from all over the world.  But I guess you'd never speak to them.  How sad.

Don't assume that I see what I'm predisposed to see. I'm feel I'm voicing an objective opinion based on the fact that I wouldn't want my wife or kids to walk certain parts of Kearny Ave., especially after dark. I don't feel the same way about Lyndhurst, NA, or Rutherford.

You can facelift the buildings forever it's not going to help.

Live in your fantasy world, just make sure you continue to walk it during the day.

Kearny people rock!

Barbara,

See, there are some things we agree on. Kearny IS a great place to live and it always has been because of its people - people who care about each other (as you've described) and people who care enough to try to make it a better place (that would include people like you, and me).

Jim Mangin

Don't assume that I see what I'm predisposed to see.  I'm feel I'm voicing an objective opinion based on the fact that I wouldn't want my wife or kids to walk certain parts of Kearny Ave., especially after dark.  I don't feel the same way about Lyndhurst, NA, or Rutherford.

You can facelift the buildings forever it's not going to help.

Live in your fantasy world, just make sure you continue to walk it during the day.

Assuming that you are a Kearny resident, I pose this question to you in all sincerity, without sarcasm, without rancor: Why in the world would you stay in a place where you fear for the safety of your family? If you honestly think the towns you mentioned are safer, why not check their rates in the violent crime categories? I haven't seen the most recent comparisons, but I would guess they are probably very close to Kearny's per capita numbers.

I did not mean to give the impression that I only walk Kearny Avenue in daylight. I walk it on a daily basis at different times of the day, sometimes after dark. I've been doing so for most of my adult life and have had no trouble.

Guest Guest
Assuming that you are a Kearny resident, I pose this question to you in all sincerity, without sarcasm, without rancor: Why in the world would you stay in a place where you fear for the safety of your family?  If you honestly think the towns you mentioned are safer, why not check their rates in the  violent crime categories?  I haven't seen the most recent comparisons, but I would guess they are probably very close to Kearny's per capita numbers.

I did not mean to give the impression that I only walk Kearny Avenue in daylight.  I walk it on a daily basis at different times of the day, sometimes after dark.  I've been doing so for most of my adult life and have had no trouble.

I'm no longer a resident. I don't need statistics, I simply have to open my eyes and look around. Many posters on this board have similar feelings on this subject. You simply refuse to admit that there is even the slightest problem. You can't honestly look at the Kmart and Marshals shopping areas, Kearny Ave, and especially the Shop-Rite and be proud of what you see.

Guest why no answer

Still wondering why nobody has commented on the million plus dollers that are going to be needed!!! Anyone wanna take a shot at this one?

I'm no longer a resident.  I don't need statistics, I simply have to open my eyes and look around.  Many posters on this board have similar feelings on this subject.  You simply refuse to admit that there is even the slightest problem.  You can't honestly look at the Kmart and Marshals shopping areas, Kearny Ave, and especially the Shop-Rite and be proud of what you see.

Where did you ever get the idea that I "refuse to admit that there is even the slightest problem" here in Kearny? I DEAL WITH KEARNY'S PROBLEMS EVERYDAY. I average about 15 phone calls per day from constituents with problems, and I walk my ward several mornings a week with a cell phone to report problems to the appropriate departments. My feeling is that our problems are not unsurmountable and certainly not atypical. I can't think of any neighboring town that doesn't have its problems. Can you? What I refuse to do is to overlook the good while we try to improve the not-so-good.

I was on Passaic Avenue just yesterday--shopping at K-Mart and Modell's. I am neither ashamed of, nor satisfied with, that area; which is why I'm so excited about the considerable interest we have had from developers regarding our plans to improve it.

I guess the difference between you and me is that I have a committed relationship with my hometown because I plan to spend the rest of my life here. Apparently you don't and that's okay, but please don't badmouth my home.

Guest Guest 99
  You can't honestly look at the Kmart and Marshals shopping areas, Kearny Ave, and especially the Shop-Rite and be proud of what you see.

Are you talking about the buildings or the people that patronize these stores? :lol:

Guest Guest 99
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to get to the heart of the matter with that question.

I would have worded it differently, but then they would have accused me of calling them a racist.

I'd never do that. :lol:

Guest Guest
Where did you ever get the idea that I "refuse to admit that there is even the slightest problem" here in Kearny?  I DEAL WITH KEARNY'S PROBLEMS EVERYDAY.  I average about 15 phone calls per day from constituents with problems, and I walk my ward several mornings a week with a cell phone to report problems to the appropriate departments.  My feeling is that our problems are not unsurmountable and certainly not atypical.  I can't think of any neighboring town that doesn't have its problems.  Can you?  What I refuse to do is to overlook the good while we try to improve the not-so-good.

I was on Passaic Avenue just yesterday--shopping at K-Mart and Modell's.  I am neither ashamed of, nor satisfied with, that area; which is why I'm so excited about the considerable interest we have had from developers regarding our plans to improve it.

I guess the difference between you and me is that I have a committed relationship with my hometown because I plan to spend the rest of my life here.  Apparently you don't and that's okay, but please don't badmouth my home.

You're being slightly more reasonable now. Maybe the people who post about the flooding and sewage problems would have a different take on things. Or are they just lying?

Guest Guest
You're being slightly more reasonable now.  Maybe the people who post about the flooding and sewage problems would have a different take on things.  Or are they just lying?

Perhaps they need to call more often...we don't want our councilpeople to have down time now do we?

Guest Guest

Next time Mrs. Sherry tells you that "Kearny people rock!", here's a prime example of a former Kearny citizen. Though I have to admit I don't think he's a Santosian. :blink:

Birthday 19 May 1953

Location GAINSVILLE FLORIDA

Interests DRAG RACEING & OLD TRUCKS AND HOT LADIES & ULGLY DOGS LIKE ME!! O YAH ELBOW ROOM! LOTS OF IT!!!!!!!!!!

God help us!!

Archived