Stevenson,Sagalia Fundrasier

Guest Concerned Parent

Guest Concerned Parent

It is interesting that the MAYOR has expressed his interest in supporting the STEVENSON, SAGALIA ticket. He remained silent on the DECEMBER BOND ELECTION He went to the fundrasier of the people who held this election while you were out XMAS SHOPPING. BOTTOM LINE YOUR TAXES WENT UP!!!!!!!!!! BIRDS OF FEATHER FLOCK TOGETHER. LETS ROUND THEM UP AND THROW THEM ALL OUT IN 2005!!!!!!!! P.S. IT WAS A POOR SHOWING ANYWAY.

Guest PTA PARENT

Are Politics alive and guiding the decisions that are made in the Kearny Schools??? The MAYOR has no children in the schools, I believe he pays no propery taxes, Then why would he want to attend a fundrasier for the STEVENSON,SAGALIA team.??? They should stay out of our schools or we could end up like NEWARK. "POLITICS DESTROY SCHOOLS"

Guest Guest 99
Are Politics alive and guiding the decisions that are made in the Kearny Schools??? The MAYOR has no children in the schools, I believe he pays no propery taxes, Then why would he want to attend a fundrasier for the STEVENSON,SAGALIA team.??? They should stay out of our schools or we could end up like NEWARK.  "POLITICS DESTROY SCHOOLS"

So you think if a person has no children in the school system they should butt out?

I have no children in the schools anymore, so I shouldn't pay the tax or be able to run for the BOE?? Is that what you are insinuating? ;)

Guest Parent

How can anyone justify defending this Mayor and council for going to this fundrasier. It certainly gives the appearance of politics in the school system. I think it sends the wrong message.I won't vote for either one of these people.

Guest Councilwoman Barbara Sherry
Are Politics alive and guiding the decisions that are made in the Kearny Schools??? The MAYOR has no children in the schools, I believe he pays no propery taxes, Then why would he want to attend a fundrasier for the STEVENSON,SAGALIA team.??? They should stay out of our schools or we could end up like NEWARK.  "POLITICS DESTROY SCHOOLS"

How interesting that you think that the mayor of a town should have no concern about the quality of education in his town. Every person who resides here should be involved in the educational process. Where do you find it written that the mayor or any councilmember relinquishes his or her rights as an individual once the oath of office is taken; or that only parents and property owners should care about the kind of people the education system is producing? I attended the event in question as a resident of Kearny and as a friend of the candidates. Just for future reference, I reserve the right to attend any fundraiser, meeting or rally for any candidate I choose.

Guest THE SILENT MAJORITY

It is interesting that Mrs Sherry is lecturing this board about her rights to support who she pleases in an election. If we as average citizens ( NOT PUBLIC OFFICALS) were out of work and needed a job, could we pick up a phone and get the same results as people with political influence???? Would my son or daughter get the same notice as board members or councilmembers famlies?????? Check the employment records, I think the queston has already been answered!!!!! How do you feel about that Councilwoman???

Guest Councilwoman Barbara Sherry
It is interesting that Mrs Sherry is lecturing this board about her rights to support who she pleases in an election. If we as average citizens ( NOT PUBLIC OFFICALS) were out of work and needed a job, could we pick up a phone and get the same results as people with political influence????    Would my son or daughter get the same notice as board members or councilmembers famlies?????? Check the employment records,  I think the queston has already been answered!!!!!      How do you feel about that Councilwoman???

It's interesting how this topic was somehow diverted from the original issue of my right to support a candidate, to my children's right to apply for employment. Go figure! But since you brought it up-- first of all, I find it inappropriate to bring someone's family into a political discussion, especially since you have me at a disadvatage because you remain anonymous. So my family is fair game, but yours is protected. I always view "family-slamming" as an act of desperation.

I'm not sure what your implications are; but the only person in my family who is employed by the town in any fashion is my daughter, a teacher at Lincoln School. She taught for three years in a private school, was a substitute teacher in Kearny for an additonal two years and when she was hired, her name was not the same as mine; and I NEVER made a call for her, NOT ONE. Her credentials are impeccable. I am proud to say that she has distinquished herself at her position and was named Teacher of the Year last year. She is a homeowner in Kearny, and is raising her family here. It would be unfair and discriminatory for qualified family members of offiicials to be eliminated from the employment process just because of who they are.

Furthermore, anytime a constituent calls me for help in getting a job, I review his/her request and job qualifications; then, if appropriate, I put in a good word. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I try. Sorry this response wasn't more volitile. Sometimes the truth is just boring.

Guest Guest
It's interesting how this topic was somehow diverted from the original issue of my right to support a candidate, to my children's right to apply for employment.  Go figure! But since you brought it up-- first of all, I find it inappropriate to bring someone's family into a political discussion, especially since you have me at a disadvatage because you remain anonymous.  So my family is fair game, but yours is protected.  I always view "family-slamming" as an act of desperation.

I'm not sure what your implications are; but the only person in my family who is employed by the town in any fashion is my daughter, a teacher at Lincoln School.  She taught for three years in a private school, was a substitute teacher in Kearny for an additonal two years and when she was hired, her name was not the same as mine; and I NEVER made a call for her, NOT ONE.  Her credentials are impeccable. I am proud to say that she has distinquished herself at her position and was named Teacher of the Year last year.  She is a homeowner in Kearny, and is raising her family here. It would be unfair and discriminatory for qualified family members of offiicials to be eliminated from the employment process just because of who they are.

Furthermore, anytime a constituent calls me for help in getting a job, I review his/her request and job qualifications; then, if appropriate, I put in a good word.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I try.  Sorry this response wasn't more volitile.  Sometimes the truth is just boring.

Yeah, right!

Guest Guest 99
It is interesting that Mrs Sherry is lecturing this board about her rights to support who she pleases in an election. If we as average citizens ( NOT PUBLIC OFFICALS) were out of work and needed a job, could we pick up a phone and get the same results as people with political influence????    Would my son or daughter get the same notice as board members or councilmembers famlies?????? Check the employment records,  I think the queston has already been answered!!!!!      How do you feel about that Councilwoman???

I think I'll start calling you THE SILENT SPIN DOCTOR. Making a correlation between BOE elections and municipal hiring is like comparing kiwis to kumquats (yes, that's how it is spelled).

Now, according to you, not only should elected officials not have the right to support the candidate of their choice, but their families should be barred from town jobs. Why not make that county jobs too? Or state jobs. Or jobs with any company that the town does business with.

As for checking the employment record, SILENT SPIN DOCTOR, please tell us what percentage of town employees are akin to elected officials, past and present. I know you did your homework and have all the answers right in front of you. :rolleyes:

Guest A. Realist
Yeah, right!

Okay, let's see: you guys throw some mud at Sherry by taking a cheap shot at her family, she answers with a well constructed, logical (and presumably honest) response, and you counter with, "Yeah, right"? Oh, baby, you gotta do better than that! That's just lame!!!!!

Guest Guest
I think I'll start calling you THE SILENT SPIN DOCTOR. Making a correlation between BOE elections and municipal hiring is like comparing kiwis to kumquats (yes, that's how it is spelled).

Now, according to you, not only should elected officials not have the right to support the candidate of their choice, but their families should be barred from town jobs. Why not make that county jobs too? Or state jobs. Or jobs with any company that the town does business with.

As for checking the employment record, SILENT SPIN DOCTOR, please tell us what percentage of town employees are akin to elected officials, past and present. I know you did your homework and have all the answers right in front of you. :rolleyes:

The list is endless.

Guest THE SILENT MAJORITY

Mrs Sherry not one reference was made about your family. I asked a question and certainly you have the right to to defend a member of your family. You answered the question by bringing your family into the discussion.Please answer me this question, was your partner on the council and relative, on the Board of Education when your family member was hired???????

Mrs Sherry not one reference was made about your family.

I'm calling bunk on this statement.

How is the above not a reference to her family? Not only are you a coward hiding behind an alias, you are also afraid to own up to your own words. Or did you mis-quote yourself, ala Darryl Strawberry?

JW

Guest Flabbergasted
Mrs Sherry not one reference was made about your family. I asked a question and certainly you have the right to to defend a member of your family. You answered the question by bringing your family into the discussion.Please answer me this question, was your partner on the council and relative, on the Board of Education when your family member was hired???????

What a petty discussion this is. Apparently the daughter is qualified. Should she have taken her talents elsewhere? She lives here for Pete's sake. Give it up.

Guest Lori Kyak Van Riper

I am the daughter of the "Grey Panther." I am a teacher in Lincoln School Junior High. I was hired by Superintendent Mooney in February of 1999 ( no relation to the Cifellis, Kyaks, Sherrys or Van Ripers) while serving as a certified, long-term substitute teacher in the district. I made no mention of the fact that anyone in my family was connected to town or county government. I was hired because I had proven myself to be capable and dependable. In fact, Mr. Mooney made reference to the fact that he was happy that he was not aware of who I was at the time of my hire, because he could honestly say that I was hired on merit alone.

I am, under Federal Guidelines, "highly qualified" to teach in my subject area, as well as 2 other subject areas. I have already taken the middle school praxis in my subject area before any state mandate to do so. I have received nothing short of excellent reviews from my superiors. I enjoy initiating and participating in activities that benefit the community, as I feel it is just as important to teach my students values, as well as math.

Whether or not my mother's cousin was on the BOE at that time of my hire has no bearing on my qualifications or my desire to work in my community. I was born and raised in Kearny, own a home here, and send my children to Kearny Public Schools. Do I not have the right to teach in the town that I call home because my family members have chosen to serve the public? If you disagree with the views of any of our elected officials, you have the perfect right to air your opinion. However, I respectfully ask that you keep me out of it, whether explicit or implied.

Thank you for respecting my professionalism and my privacy!

Guest A. Realist
Mrs Sherry not one reference was made about your family.

Are you kidding? You implied, inferred, hinted and insinuated. Everything short of coming right out and saying that the woman only got her job because of who she is. You wouldn't do that, though, would you? 'Cause that would take a pair of b***s, of which you ain't got none!!!

Guest A. Realist
I am the daughter of the "Grey Panther." I am a teacher in Lincoln School Junior High. I was hired by Superintendent Mooney in February of 1999 ( no relation to the Cifellis, Kyaks, Sherrys or Van Ripers)  while serving as a certified, long-term substitute teacher in the district. I made no mention of the fact that anyone in my family was connected to town or county government. I was hired because I had proven myself to be capable and dependable. In fact, Mr. Mooney made reference to the fact that he was happy that he was not aware of who I was at the time of my hire, because he could honestly say that I was hired on merit alone.

I am, under Federal Guidelines, "highly qualified" to teach in my subject area, as well as 2 other subject areas. I have already taken the middle school praxis in my subject area before any state mandate to do so. I have received nothing short of excellent reviews from my superiors. I enjoy initiating and participating in activities that benefit the community, as I feel it is just as important to teach my students values, as well as math.

Whether or not my mother's cousin was on the BOE at that time of my hire has no bearing on my qualifications or my desire to work in my community. I was born and raised in Kearny, own a home here, and send my children to Kearny Public Schools. Do I not have the right to teach in the town that I call home because my family members have chosen to serve the public? If you disagree with the views of any of our elected officials, you have the perfect right to air your opinion. However, I respectfully ask that you keep me out of it, whether explicit or implied.

Thank you for respecting my professionalism and my privacy!

Geez, guys, now you got one of the Panther Cubs skompin' you with logic and multi-syllabic terms. You just can't win an argument with that family, can ya? Damn them!!

Guest Guest
I'm calling bunk on this statement.

How is the above not a reference to her family?  Not only are you a coward hiding behind an alias, you are also afraid to own up to your own words.  Or did you mis-quote yourself, ala Darryl Strawberry?

JW

Wrong yet again JW. Read carefully.

Guest Guest 99
If you know so much, then enlighten the rest of us.

If you will reread my post, I never claimed to have the figures. I was challenging the poster who said, "The list is endless", to give us the facts. Their claim was similar to saying the road is long and wide. Well, how long and how wide? And, as you can see, I've yet to get an answer.

Unfortunately, there are only a few of us who deal in facts. The rest, as I've said in the past, thrive on street corner gossip, make unfounded accusations and blame everyone but themselves for the woes of the world. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. It would be nice, however, if you could support your opinion with facts, not open ended remarks such as above. ;)

Guest A. Realist

I know that this nasty post has been amply answered (and trounced, I might add), but as a student of semantics, I find it fascinating----the subject shift, I mean. As I reread it, I couldn't help but read between the lines. Was there someone in your camp who wanted a job and didn't get? Hmmm. I wonder......

Guest Guest
If you will reread my post, I never claimed to have the figures. I was challenging the poster who said, "The list is endless", to give us the facts. Their claim was similar to saying the road is long and wide. Well, how long and how wide? And, as you can see, I've yet to get an answer.

Unfortunately, there are only a few of us who deal in facts. The rest, as I've said in the past, thrive on street corner gossip, make unfounded accusations and blame everyone but themselves for the woes of the world. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. It would be nice, however, if you could support your opinion with facts, not open ended remarks such as above. ;)

Of course you don't have the figures. You never do. Your stock answer to posts is to say "give us the facts".

The challenge to you is go over the minutes of the BOE meetings and look at some of the names of the hires. Same names pop up quite often.

Archived