David Paszkiewicz should be fired

mnodonnell

Hey Bern, do you have any kids?

Maybe before you open your trap to try to make a big deal out of nothing, you should ask these kids parents how they feel about the safety of their kids.

Look at that fallacious appeal to emotion. <_< The tape does not create safety in the least, so the above statement is total non-sequitur.

They know these doors are taped, many of these kids parents are there as well.

There are parents with them? And you still think the tape is necessary? If the kids aren't even left 100% alone, then all the less reason.

If they do not have a problem why should you be concern.

When you are responsible for a team, or have a child that is part of  a team you will understand. Right now you do not know what you a talking about.

79292[/snapback]

Looks like the question that you started your post with wasn't sincere--you were more than happy to make the assumption that was necessary for this last part here.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, the doors are not taped shut; it’s a piece of tape and all the doors are locked from the inside. It is there to see if anyone has left their room after curfew. And yes, teenagers will try to sneak out of their rooms at night, and your child would probably be one of them. Have you ever chaperoned 30+ teenage girls overnight at a hotel where other teams are staying. If so, I would like to know what you have done to keep tabs on them.

79312[/snapback]

Talk to any Hotel manager and he'll tell you one of the biggest problems is adults getting in prostitutes or issues that are created when adults visit each other during business trips.

So, who tapes your door? Or is it OK for you to sneak out?

Hey Bern, do you have any kids?

Maybe before you open your trap to try to make a big deal out of nothing, you should ask these kids parents how they feel about the safety of their kids.

They know these doors are taped, many of these kids parents are there as well. If they do not have a problem why should you be concern.

When you are responsible for a team, or have a child that is part of  a team you will understand. Right now you do not know what you a talking about.

79292[/snapback]

Yes I do.

I've also gone on school trips. Try Respect, Reverence and Responsibility. Taping kids in is not part of that motto. I known a few principals and two superintendents. And I know any parent that would suggest taping their students in, would not be allowed to join in overnight trips.

Seeing your statement "Maybe before you open your trap", tells me a lot about you. Real classy. If you're one of the people who is responsible for a team, then I feel sorry for that team. Doesn't say much for any school that tolerates you.

Yes I do.

I've also gone on school trips. Try Respect, Reverence and Responsibility. Taping kids in is not part of that motto. I known a few principals and two superintendents. And I know any parent that would suggest taping their students in, would not be allowed to join in overnight trips.

Seeing your statement "Maybe before you open your trap", tells me a lot about you. Real classy. If you're one of the people who is responsible for a team, then I feel sorry for that team. Doesn't say much for any school that tolerates you.

79348[/snapback]

I'm not responsible for a team.

I would not want to be responsible for 60 kids and have you as a parent of one of them.

Talking about class, I have not seeing much or any coming from you either.

You are crying like a baby, boo hoo he taped the kids door, boo hoo he has no respect, boo hoo....

Stop your crying. :lol:

Maybe Mr. P should do like the teachers who went to Aruba on that school trip?

Do whatever you want, drink, have sex, and God knows what else, see at the airport on the way back.

Let me remind you that a girl did not make it back. Is that how you want Bern?

How did those teachers taught those kids respect, reverence and responsibility? <_<

There are parents with them? And you still think the tape is necessary? If the kids aren't even left 100% alone, then all the less reason.

79343[/snapback]

I know it's very difficult but try not to be an idiot.

The parents can't be in the same room with the team.

They have their own room. The team stays together.

The kids are not going on vacation. They are there to compete.

Yes I do.

79348[/snapback]

The twins are fourteen (a boy and a girl); they don't go on overnight trips with school groups yet, but they do attend retreats and mission trips with our church's youth groups.

I would be very surprised indeed if any of our adults put tape on their doors. In the absence of any indication at all that they're sneaking around, I would find it to be very disrespectful of the kids . . . and my own, especially girl twin, would be incensed (she's a super straight arrow). It would, for these good kids, be really off-putting and might lead to a rupture in the group. And the other parents would certainly look askance at this kind of "oversight".

Of course, we usually bunk adults or college-age mentors in with kids . . . that's the sure way to disciple them in such circumstances. Don't the Kearney groups go with adult chaperones?

Leigh

I know it's very difficult but try not to be an idiot.

If the pattern's taught me anything, a post starting with this is sure to have little to no actual content. Let's see...

The parents can't be in the same room with the team.

Why in the world not, if concern over the safety of the kids spending a night at a hotel is so great? Surely it would do a lot more good than a piece of tape.

They have their own room. The team stays together.

The kids are not going on vacation. They are there to compete.

79364[/snapback]

Non-sequitur, it seems.

You are crying like a baby, boo hoo he taped the kids door, boo hoo he has no respect, boo hoo....

Stop your crying.  :o

Pathetic and infantile. Grow the hell up.

Do whatever you want, drink, have sex, and God knows what else, see at the airport on the way back.

You're totally incapable of thinking of any 'setup' between taping the rooms and that? Talk about a false dichotomy; very black and white world you must live in.

I'm not responsible for a team.

I would not want to be responsible for 60 kids and have you as a parent of one of them.

Talking about class, I have not seeing much or any coming from you either.

Stop your crying.  :o

Let me remind you that a girl did not make it back. Is that how you want Bern?

How did those teachers taught those kids respect, reverence and responsibility? :o

79363[/snapback]

That's all you people think about - drink and sex. Try taking your mind out of the gutter. And try believing in your students instead of thinking their minds are in the gutter.

Respect, reverence and responsibility is not taught by taping doors.

The twins are fourteen (a boy and a girl); they don't go on overnight trips with school groups yet, but they do attend retreats and mission trips with our church's youth groups.

I would be very surprised indeed if any of our adults put tape on their doors.  In the absence of any indication at all that they're sneaking around, I would find it to be very disrespectful of the kids . . . and my own, especially girl twin, would be incensed (she's a super straight arrow).  It would, for these good kids, be really off-putting and might lead to a rupture in the group.  And the other parents would certainly look askance at this kind of "oversight".

Leigh

79370[/snapback]

I'd be surprised if this is really done. It is disrespectful. They are telling their kids that they are not trusted. To any healthy kid it would be off-putting.

The problem is anyone pulling this taping nonsense has his mind in the gutter. They assume the worst. Not a Christian attitude. Would Jesus tape doors?

It may also be psychological. Some like to dominate and control others.

The fact is, kids involved in activities such as teams are basically good. They're really not interested in pulling night time hijinks. I'm sure when this occurs their main thought is that "here he comes doing his weird stuff." If they really wanted, they could easily get around the tape. I thought of three scenarios. One example would be to leave the room and before returning remove the tape from a dozen rooms.

I'd be surprised if this is really done. It is disrespectful. They are telling their kids that they are not trusted. To any healthy kid it would be off-putting.

The problem is anyone pulling this taping nonsense has his mind in the gutter. They assume the worst. Not a Christian attitude. Would Jesus tape doors?

The fact is, kids involved in activities such as teams are basically good. They're really not interested in pulling night time hijinks. I'm sure when this occurs their main thought is that "here he comes doing his weird stuff." If they really wanted, they could easily get around the tape. I thought of three scenarios. One example would be to leave the room and before returning remove the tape from a dozen rooms.

79455[/snapback]

What planet do you live on?

79455[/snapback]

It looks like you are the one with your mind in the gutter.

These coaches are not assuming, they seen what kids are capable of doing.

Apparently this is something you are clueless about.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

Guest 18 year-old

79542[/snapback]

Hey, he's got a point. It would piss me off a lot, because I'd never sneak out or do anything like that. Putting tape on the door is like being accused without doing anything. Some of you guys try to make it out like he's being some great protector by taping doors, but the message anyone like me would get is "I know you're going to sneak out, so I want to make sure I catch you when you do."

That's messed up, but then again, so is Pastor P.

79542[/snapback]

Evidently, Bern and I live on the Planet of Good Kids. We do keep a close eye on the offspring, but we don't have to resort to low-rent CIA-style tactics to accomplish that.

I do know whereof I speak here, you know. My two older daughters came through high school and college intact (yes, I do mean what you think I mean). I believe the best way to keep your kids safe is to actually TRANSMIT THE VALUES you want them to internalize. Trailing around after them with your handy-dandy spy kit is not going to accomplish that.

Leigh

I observed my momma to be conscious.

No, you don't.  You're an idiot who doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

78668[/snapback]

For those of us who think our mommas were and (if alive) are conscious, there is a wealth of real science being done. The following are just a few links to articles and discussions on the origins of life.

Here is a link to a scientific journal on the origins of life. The depth of this research is mind-boggling. Just spend a few minutes to look at the kind of work that is being done. I am in awe of what is being achieved:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/102974/

For an accessible treatment of the subject, see:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/origins/

NASA gives a summary of the field from an astrobiological perspective at:

http://astrobiology.arc.nasa.gov/roadmap/g3.html

Finally, the following purports to be a tutorial on the subject. I have not checked its authorship:

http://www.biology-online.org/10/1_first_life.htm

There are, of course, many sources, for writings in the field of science, but in my brief venture into Google ("origins of life"), I came up with two apparently excellent links. No doubt there are many others.

Scientific books in a variety of fields are available at:

www.springer.com

Articles on science in various fields can be found at:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/

79542[/snapback]

Let's look at this realistically. The tape on the door is worthless. Putting tape on the door does not prevent anything. A student can sneak out and do whatever he/she wants to do and then come back later. The next morning the only thing Paszkiewicz would know is that someone in the room left. That's it. There is no way to tell who left and what he/she did. There is nothing to stop anything bad from happening. If a kid goes out and gets killed the chaperones will be responsible. If the kid is irresponsible enough to sneak out and then sneak back in you cannot expect him/her to fess up the next morning.

I observed my momma to be conscious.

For those of us who think our mommas were and (if alive) are conscious, there is a wealth of real science being done. The following are just a few links to articles and discussions on the origins of life.

That's great. Maybe after reading all that it will help you forget that science offers no proof of consciousness (the methods of science generally extolled would tend to discourage belief in the consciousness of others).

Let's look at this realistically.  The tape on the door is worthless.  Putting tape on the door does not prevent anything.  A student can sneak out and do whatever he/she wants to do and then come back later.  The next morning the only thing Paszkiewicz would know is that someone in the room left. That's it.  There is no way to tell who left and what he/she did.  There is nothing to stop anything bad from happening.  If a kid goes out  and gets killed the chaperones will be responsible.  If the kid is irresponsible enough to sneak out and then sneak back in you cannot expect him/her to fess up the next morning.

79743[/snapback]

Let me get this straight. So, what you are saying is.....let them do whatever they want without any consequences? You actually think teenagers are going to abide by the rules if they think there will be no consequences? A teen will think twice about it if they know that not only will they face possible suspension from the team, but, so will his/her roommates if no one fesses up! Most kids are great kids, but, there is always one or two that can ruin it for everybody.

Let's look at this realistically.  The tape on the door is worthless.  Putting tape on the door does not prevent anything.  A student can sneak out and do whatever he/she wants to do and then come back later.  The next morning the only thing Paszkiewicz would know is that someone in the room left. That's it.  There is no way to tell who left and what he/she did.  There is nothing to stop anything bad from happening.  If a kid goes out  and gets killed the chaperones will be responsible.  If the kid is irresponsible enough to sneak out and then sneak back in you cannot expect him/her to fess up the next morning.

79743[/snapback]

Ya think ???

Let me get this straight. So, what you are saying is.....let them do whatever they want without any consequences?

Who the hell said that, liar?

You actually think teenagers are going to abide by the rules if they think there will be no consequences?

A teenager raised right will, regardless. If you have kids, you've just taught me something about them. Nice values. Assume that kids are just bad and troublemakers that need to be threatened with consequences constantly in order to keep them in line. Are you projecting your own urges or something?

A teen will think twice about it if they know that not only will they face possible suspension from the team, but, so will his/her roommates if no one fesses up!

They'll also think twice if they are raised properly, taught to do the RIGHT thing instead of just taught what the PUNISHMENTS are for the wrong things. All that does is teach kids to do the wrong things when no one's looking. Maybe this stuff you're writing comes from personal experience with this.

Most kids are great kids, but, there is always one or two that can ruin it for everybody.

79895[/snapback]

Oh, I don't remember you saying "one or two" before! I'm pretty sure you generalized teenagers as people who will not follow rules unless there are consequcnes just a few lines up. It's a bit late to cover your tracks.

Let me get this straight. So, what you are saying is.....let them do whatever they want without any consequences? You actually think teenagers are going to abide by the rules if they think there will be no consequences? A teen will think twice about it if they know that not only will they face possible suspension from the team, but, so will his/her roommates if no one fesses up! Most kids are great kids, but, there is always one or two that can ruin it for everybody.

79895[/snapback]

Oh come on! Another stupid false dichotomy. There are other ways to make sure the teammembers are safe. There should always be an adult chaperone in each room. The tactic of kicking everyone off the team, temporarily or permanently, sounds like a nice totalitarian idea: punish the group for the sins of one. If the one that left commits a crime, should they all go to jail? What if they don't know who left? What if they were all asleep? The chief job of chaperones is to prevent misbehaviour, not to inflict punishment after the deed is done. Natalie Holloway's door in Aruba may have been taped but she is still dead.

Oh come on!  Another stupid false dichotomy.  There are other ways to make sure the teammembers are safe.  There should always be an adult chaperone in each room.  The tactic of kicking everyone off the team, temporarily or permanently, sounds like a nice totalitarian idea:  punish the group for the sins of one.  If the one that left commits a crime, should they all go to jail?  What if they don't know who left? What if they were all asleep?  The chief job of chaperones is to prevent misbehaviour, not to inflict punishment after the deed is done.  Natalie Holloway's door in Aruba may have been taped but she is still dead.

80073[/snapback]

This is the most idiotic post I've ever seen on KOTW.

Evidently, Bern and I live on the Planet of Good Kids.  We do keep a close eye on the offspring, but we don't have to resort to low-rent CIA-style tactics to accomplish that.

I do know whereof I speak here, you know.  My two older daughters came through high school and college intact (yes, I do mean what you think I mean).  I believe the best way to keep your kids safe is to actually TRANSMIT THE VALUES you want them to internalize.  Trailing around after them with your handy-dandy spy kit is not going to accomplish that.

Leigh

79682[/snapback]

Really? Are you sure?

If so, then maybe we should drop all laws, rules, regulations, and evey other tactic that is used to keep people in line.

79743[/snapback]

Let's dial down the over-reaction on the door taping for a moment, and look at it from a different perspective.

I have been a chaperone, and I take the safety of the kids under my charge (and the trust placed in me by their parents) very, very seriously. Accordingly, I placed clear, scotch tape on doors to help to ensure the safety of the children.

The fact is that the doors are not taped shut (scotch tape is not very strong). That is, anyone who chooses to leave the room can do so. It is not a prison cell.

What taping DOES do, is that it creates an opportunity to monitor the kids' safety with minimal intrusion. A simple late-night walk down the hallway can determine if anyone is out of their rooms. Doors that are taped do not need a room check. Doors that are not do. We take no less than 4 "monitoring" trips down the hallway per night.

Now, your kids may be great kids (the clear majority of the kids who I have chaperoned are), but there are a few points that you are missing. (1) You cannot assume who the "bad" kids are, and discriminately tape their doors - I think for obvious reasons. Accepting this non-intrusive, non-discriminatory, broad policy gives the kids who need closer supervision the oversight they require, while not violating the rights of the "good" kids; (2) Sometimes good kids make bad decisions - it is a fact of life -and getting notice of a bad decision at 10:30 pm or even 2 am instead of at breakfast the next morning is preferable; and (3) you cannot also assume that the danger only rests with kids leaving their rooms voluntarily. From sexual predators to potential adbuctors to the cute guy or girl that they met on the trip, I want to know if anyone went INTO the room at 10:30 pm rather than breakfast.

Has anyone left their rooms under my charge? Yes, twice. Once was a sleepwalker who went to the hotel lobby to play the piano (even though she didn't know how to play the piano). The other was a so-called "good" girl who was just feeling her oats a little and snuck out to meet a boy at the hotel's pool. An 11:15 walk-by saw the broken tape, by 11:20 the hotel went on lock-down, and she was back in her room by 11:35.

Did taping prevent other kids from trying to leave? Who the heck knows. The only thing that I am SURE of is that I would have no idea how many kids were out of their rooms if I did not tape doors. And I will trade off whatever hurt feelings there may be for taking doors shut, for being able to return the kids to their parents safely and securely.