weekend fire

Guest your tax $$$ @ wo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Static & residual
whether there were illegal dwellings is irrelevant.  the fact remains that the hydrant didn't work.  what does the # of dwellings have to do with how a fire hydrant functions?

What, the hydrant wouldn't work for the fire Dept. but it worked for the water Supt. Something malfunctioned and it wasn't the hydrant. All I was saying was we need to look at the big picture and not look for a scape goat.

What, the hydrant wouldn't work for the fire Dept. but it worked for the water Supt. Something malfunctioned and it wasn't the hydrant. All I was saying was we need to look at the big picture and not look for a scape goat.

:rolleyes::glare: thank you! :lol::lol:

Guest bystander

Did it ever occur to any of you to hear 2 sides of a story???

could the hydrant been turned off at the street ?

Could the Water dept. have turned it on the next morning???

Its not Rocket science you turn the valve and water comes out bottom line...

For the Water dept. official to say people are not familiar with certain hydrants is out of line and he should be investigated.

The people responding on this topic have no clue. and should not respond

They should ask people who witnessed it .they turned the valve and no water....

Guest Static & Residual

For the Water dept. official to say people are not familiar with certain hydrants is out of line and he should be investigated.

It sounds as though you have knowledge of hydrants. What you say could in fact be true. If the hydrant was worked on recently. If that was the case the Water Dept would have informed the fire Dept. that the hydrant was down and the KFD should have logged the info. Then after the repairs are made the Water Dept. informs the KFD that the hydrant is up and running. Both Depts. keep records That's easy to check. I'll bet the water Dept has better records. PS. I have a clue.

:D ok you saw what you saw! but thats only part of it. if the fire dpt was doing thear job they would know the plug had a problem BEFORE THE FIRE! THAT IS A BIG PROBLEM! ITS THEIR JOB TO TEST THE PLUGS ! AFTER ALL LIVES ARE AT STAKE! YOURS AND THEIRS!!!!!!! :lol::)

Guest D***KLess OldFart
:D ok you saw what you saw! but thats only part of it. if the fire dpt was doing thear job they would know the plug had a problem BEFORE THE FIRE! THAT IS A BIG PROBLEM! ITS THEIR JOB TO TEST THE PLUGS ! AFTER ALL LIVES ARE AT STAKE! YOURS AND THEIRS!!!!!!! :lol:  :)

Why don't you shut the f***k up. You never make sense you stupid loser, i'm not a fireman, but i will defend them all. I would love to find you and give you the beating, your Mother never gave you. Why don't you worry about the problems that you have in the trailer park you live in. Hijo de la gran Puta.

Guest Guest
It sounds as though you have knowledge of hydrants. What you say could in fact be true. If the hydrant was worked on recently. If that was the case the Water Dept would have informed the fire Dept. that the hydrant was down and the KFD should have logged the info. Then after the repairs are made the Water Dept. informs the KFD that the hydrant is up and running. Both Depts. keep records That's easy to check. I'll bet the water Dept has better records. PS. I have a clue.

You think the water department keeps better records? Interesting, because when asked at the town meeting when the hydrant was last worked on, the "water closet" head said October of 2003. When pressed for what was done, the reply was I don't know. I feel so much better now. Incidentally, the exchange of information is usually given, I, too, have a clue.

No matter what, I agree with most that Mr. Ferraoli (sic?) shouldn't have made any public statements until a full investigation could be completed. It does no one any good to go off half-cocked.

Guest Guest

FYI-The Water Department is soley responsible for maintaining and testing of the fire hydrants in Kearny, not the Fire Dept. and always has been. If there is a known problem, the Fire Dept. is notified. A plastic or metal ring marker is then placed on the hydrant to indicate it is out of service. It is removed when the hydrant is placed back in service and the Fire Dept. again is notified. The Water Department gets the job done pretty quick so no hydrant is out of service for long.

I am told that flow testing (the volume of water coming from the hydrant, not pressure) by the Water Department is not routinely done on the hydrants so even if water flows from the hydrant, it may not be enough to be of much use to the Fire Dept. There are several reasons why this can happen. The photo in the Observer shows water flowing but not at a high rate (notice that the opening is partially visible, full flow would completely fill the opening). I can't tell if the hydrant in the photo was open all the way or not. The flushing of the hydrants that is does each year by the water department is intended to clear out sediment and to help prevent minerals from encrusting the inside of the pipes that can impede water flow.

FYI-The Water Department is soley responsible for maintaining and testing of the fire hydrants in Kearny, not the Fire Dept. and always has been.  If there is a known problem, the Fire Dept. is notified.  A plastic or metal ring marker is then placed on the hydrant to indicate it is out of service.  It is removed when the hydrant is placed back in service and the Fire Dept. again is notified.  The Water Department gets the job done pretty quick so no hydrant is out of service for long. 

I am told that flow testing (the volume of water coming from the hydrant, not pressure) by the Water Department is not routinely done on the hydrants so even if water flows from the hydrant, it may not be enough to be of much use to the Fire Dept.  There are several reasons why this can happen.  The photo in the Observer shows water flowing but not at a high rate (notice that the opening is partially visible, full flow would completely fill the opening).  I can't tell if the hydrant in the photo was open all the way or not.  The flushing of the hydrants that is does each year by the water department is intended to clear out sediment and to help prevent minerals from encrusting the inside of the pipes that can impede water flow.

:lol::lol: ok this is true but the fire dpt is in charge of testing the plugs for use ! if i rember right the plug pres should be 400to 475 lbs the fire dept is responsable for testing for this! they have to use it ! thear lives depend on this! :lol::lol:

Guest Guest
:ph34r:  :ph34r: ok this is true but the fire dpt is in charge of testing the plugs for use ! if i rember right the plug pres should be 400to 475 lbs the fire dept is responsable for testing for this! they have to use it ! thear lives depend on this! :ph34r:  :ph34r:

The Fire Dept. does not test the hydrants for flow. They can but that job belongs to the Water Dept. I am told that is the way its has always been (I have asked).

I agree that the Fire Dept. should test and keep records for themselves (apart from the Water Dept.) of the volume and pressure the hydrant can actually give. They are pretty much the only ones who will use it and yes, lives do depend on it. Then compare it to what actually should be discharging given the size of the water main. If the flow is less than useable, it needs to be addressed plus the Fire Dept. can avoid it from the outset and use a different hydrant without wasting time trying a potentially bad hydrant until the problem is recified. The numbers you mention are probably gallons per minute, not lbs. While pressure is important, the amount of water a hydrant gives will dictate its usefulness. I only hope that this issue will now be addressed by the town so a similar senario will be occur again.

The Fire Dept. does not test the hydrants for flow.  They can but that job belongs to the Water Dept.  I am told that is the way its has always been (I have asked). 

I agree that the Fire Dept. should test and keep records for themselves (apart from the Water Dept.) of the volume and pressure the hydrant can actually give.  They are pretty much the only ones who will use it and yes, lives do depend on it.  Then compare it to what actually should be discharging given the size of the water main.  If the flow is less than useable, it needs to be addressed plus the Fire Dept. can avoid it from the outset and use a different hydrant without wasting time trying a potentially bad hydrant until the problem is recified.  The numbers you mention are probably gallons per minute, not lbs.  While pressure is important, the amount of water a hydrant gives will dictate its usefulness.  I only hope that this issue will now be addressed by the town so a similar senario will be occur again.

:ph34r::ph34r: NO ITS NOT GPM ITS PSI GPM PRODUCES PSI! MOST IMPORTANT FOR FIRE TRUCKS OUTPUT ! LINE PRESURE ALSO! FYI :ph34r::ph34r:

Guest Firefighter

Okay moron. One more time since you seem to be sitting in the cheap seats.

It takes Gallons per minute to extinguish a fire. No additional pressure will help extinguish a fire. The gallons per minute needs to be sufficient to cool the BTU's being given off by the combustibles.

From now on, if we want crap out of you we will squeeze your head. Your answers are both not well thought out, and in this case, completely INACCURATE.

Guest get lost old fart

:ph34r::ph34r: NO ITS NOT GPM ITS PSI GPM PRODUCES PSI! MOST IMPORTANT FOR FIRE TRUCKS OUTPUT ! LINE PRESURE ALSO! FYI :ph34r::ph34r:

[/quot

Can you read? Check your statement.

oldfart56 Jun 21 2005, 07:42 PM Post #36

Advanced Member

Group: Members

Member No.: 178

QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 21 2005, 03:40 PM)

FYI-The Water Department is soley responsible for maintaining and testing of the fire hydrants in Kearny, not the Fire Dept. and always has been. If there is a known problem, the Fire Dept. is notified. A plastic or metal ring marker is then placed on the hydrant to indicate it is out of service. It is removed when the hydrant is placed back in service and the Fire Dept. again is notified. The Water Department gets the job done pretty quick so no hydrant is out of service for long.

I am told that flow testing (the volume of water coming from the hydrant, not pressure) by the Water Department is not routinely done on the hydrants so even if water flows from the hydrant, it may not be enough to be of much use to the Fire Dept. There are several reasons why this can happen. The photo in the Observer shows water flowing but not at a high rate (notice that the opening is partially visible, full flow would completely fill the opening). I can't tell if the hydrant in the photo was open all the way or not. The flushing of the hydrants that is does each year by the water department is intended to clear out sediment and to help prevent minerals from encrusting the inside of the pipes that can impede water flow.

ok this is true but the fire dpt is in charge of testing the plugs for use ! if i rember right the plug pres should be 400to 475 lbs the fire dept is responsable for testing for this! they have to use it ! thear lives depend on this!

[/quot

Can you read? Check your statement.

oldfart56 Jun 21 2005, 07:42 PM Post #36

Advanced Member

Group: Members

Member No.: 178

QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 21 2005, 03:40 PM)

ok this is true but the fire dpt is in charge of testing the plugs for use ! if i rember right the plug pres should be 400to 475 lbs the fire dept is responsable for testing for this! they have to use it ! thear lives depend on this!

:lol::lol: whats your point they were wrong end of story ! you got bigger problems like the dump! so stick it ! :lol::lol:

Guest get lost old fart
:ph34r:  :ph34r: whats your point they were wrong end of story ! you got bigger problems like the dump! so stick it ! :ph34r:  :lol:

:lol::lol::ph34r: No check your post! YOU WERE WRONG! If you want to help Kearny, stop posting you are a dimwit. :lol:

Guest Guest

So much for explaining things so people know how some things work on here. Oldfart either does not know what he is talking about or has gotten wrong information and will not listen no matter how hard someone tries to politely explain things not only to him/her but to all reading this. Oldfart (and some others like him/her) just wants to play on here, insult people and try to get people angry. So much for this board. I'm done.

Guest the truth

Listen, this matter is over and done no one will ever know what really happened that night. That is the long and the short of it.

Guest no body home
So much for explaining things so people know how some things work on here.  Oldfart either does not know what he is talking about or has gotten wrong information and will not listen no matter how hard someone tries to politely explain things not only to him/her but to all reading this.  Oldfart (and some others like him/her) just wants to play on here, insult people and try to get people angry.  So much for this board.  I'm done.

Yea, it's like the time we tried to explain to him that the blair witch wasn't a true story. Just can't get through.

Listen, this matter is over and done no one will ever know what really happened that night. That is the long and the short of it.

This matter will not be over until we know where the breakdown occurred and what will be done to prevent it in the future.

I know that to protect my home, if I don't get a full accounting - I'll test the hydrant on my block myself. It'll be worth the few dollars to pay a fine to know my neighborhood is protected.

Jim Mangin

Guest Guest
This matter will not be over until we know where the breakdown occurred and what will be done to prevent it in the future.

I know that to protect my home, if I don't get a full accounting - I'll test the hydrant on my block myself. It'll be worth the few dollars to pay a fine to know my neighborhood is protected.

Jim Mangin

That will be some fine once they find out it's you opening the hydrant. Lots of luck Mr. Mangin

Guest guest

Jim Mangin

If you were at the town hall when this subject was talked about you would know that a citizen watched the water dept turn on the water to the hydrant in the street first!!!! Then they opened the hydrant!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A lot of taxpayers watched the Kfd open the hydrant the night of the fire. NO WATER FROM THE HYDRANT! CASE CLOSED FROM THE FIRE DEPT SIDE. Look at the water dept.

Guest guest

The water dept never had the hydrant open in the street. EVERY hydrant has a valve in the street and the water depat open and closes the valve in order to make the necessary repairs. They never opened the street valve, so NO water came from the hydrant. It's ridiculous that the water dept can't explain why the hydrant didn't work.. Like an earlier post read, either they work or they don't when you open them If no water comes out the VALVE IS SHUT!!!!

Go ahead and ask teh water department Its amazing they never mentioned it. Oh if they did they would be placing the blame on themselves. Now why do that when the FD is easier to blame!!!! They must be unfamiliar with the hydrants?? Why did the other work when you spin the top??

Guest Guest
If you were at the town hall when this subject was talked about you would know that a citizen watched the water dept turn on the water to the hydrant in the street first!!!! Then they opened the hydrant!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A lot of taxpayers watched the Kfd open the hydrant the night of the fire. NO WATER FROM THE HYDRANT! CASE CLOSED FROM THE FIRE DEPT SIDE. Look at the water dept.

So why no water?

Archived