weekend fire

Guest your tax $$$ @ wo

Guest A. Realist
This matter will not be over until we know where the breakdown occurred and what will be done to prevent it in the future.

I know that to protect my home, if I don't get a full accounting - I'll test the hydrant on my block myself. It'll be worth the few dollars to pay a fine to know my neighborhood is protected.

Jim Mangin

Jimbo,

Could you possibly get any more self-righteous? Two very capable department heads are investigating this matter. Oh, sorry, I forgot--you are the ultimate expert on everything!!!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest
So why no water?

The water was turned off at the valve in the street. The fire dept a long time ago had keys to the valves in the street. They were removed because the water dept said the valves were old and they did not want any one except the water dept touching the valves. No notice from the water dept that that hydrant was not working. The water dept stated if I remember correct, the hydrant was worked on or last checked more than a year ago. I am guessing that the water was off all that time. If the water dept flushing program was working they would have found this problem. Also they can find any other hydrants that are broken or are TURNED OFF AT THE VALVE. I hope this answers your question.

Guest guest
BECAUSE THE VALVE IN THE STREET IS CLOSED AND THE FD HAS NO ACCESS TO A STREET VALVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is correct. The amount of time it took to get a new hydrant was not much more time than to open a valve. Remember the fd has to first try to open and flush it then if it did not work they would need a new hydrant. This hydrant's problem was the valve closed in the street. But it could be anything . The correct next move is what the fd training told them to do! Get a new water source. As I see it the problem is the hydrant must work before a fire. A hydrant testing policy must be updated. The one in place now as we see it did not work. Let's find out how to correct this problem not just to point fingers after the fact.

Jimbo,

Could you possibly get any more self-righteous? Two very capable department heads are investigating this matter. Oh, sorry, I forgot--you are the ultimate expert on everything!!!!

After the New Year's fire at Dr. Gennace's house a few years ago, those hydrants should've worked. End of story. You don't need to be an expert to know that. You just need to care more about protecting your home and neighbors than protecting an administration.

Jim Mangin

Guest second ward
Jimbo,

We are really tired of you sitting there getting off on guess who Iam. We do not care who you are.All you do is defend the Mayor and TWIST FACTS .Your insults on Mr. Mangin is totally uncalled for. Everything Mr. Mangin is stating about how Santos put us in the red is only the TRUTH. Along with other issues and this is what angers you. SANTOS MESSED UP BIG TIME.

Guest A. Realist
We are really tired of you sitting there getting off on guess who Iam. We do not care who you are.All you do is defend the Mayor and TWIST FACTS .Your insults on Mr. Mangin is totally uncalled for.  Everything Mr. Mangin is stating  about how Santos put us in the red is only the TRUTH. Along with other issues and this is what  angers you. SANTOS MESSED UP BIG TIME.

Of course you care who I am! Otherwise you wouldn't read and respond to my posts.

I defend the mayor because I think he is an honorable, brilliant man and the best mayor this town has had in a long time. And you defend Jimbo because...oh, I don't know...there must be some reason. Hey, we all have our heroes and there's no accounting for taste!

I know that you must have evidence, other than Jimbo's rhetoric, to substantiate your rather libelous claim that Mayor Santos has "put us in the red." Let's hear it!

PS Mr. Mangin was "mistaken " when he said that the payment from NJMC was not received by the Town of Kearny. It was; and therefore is a legitimate revenue of, I believe, around 2 million dollars in the budget. "Thank you, Mayor."

Guest Check and balance
Of course you care who I am! Otherwise you wouldn't read and respond to my posts.

I defend the mayor because I think he is an honorable, brilliant man and the best mayor this town has had in a long time. And you defend Jimbo because...oh, I don't know...there must be some reason. Hey, we all have our heroes and there's no accounting for taste!

I know that you must have evidence, other than Jimbo's rhetoric, to substantiate your rather libelous claim that Mayor Santos has "put us in the red." Let's hear it!

PS Mr. Mangin was "mistaken " when he said that the payment from NJMC was not received by the Town of Kearny. It was; and therefore is a legitimate revenue of, I believe, around 2 million dollars in the budget. "Thank you, Mayor."

You can thank the mayor all you want and that's OK after all he is your hero. But never the less we are in the red big time and you know it.

Guest A. Realist
You can thank the mayor all you want and that's OK after all he is your hero. But never the less we are in the red big time and you know it.

That's a pretty serious charge. I reiterate---give us the details; provide the specifics. Or is this, like all you're other inferences, all wind and no weight?

Hey, this is great! You questioned the Mayor on a financial matter! I love it! It's like I never left. Congratulations!

And the Mayor told you that on the last day of the fiscal year we did receive the $2,250,000 pay-off from the Meadowlands Commission to let them re-open the Keegan dump.

Ok, next assignment. Now ask the Mayor how we can we accept a lease payment without a signed lease agreement? (unless he signed an agreement behind closed doors). Ask him how he knows there will be enough money in the escrow account to close the landfill. Ask him why he won't put that money where it belongs - in the Town's Landfill Closure Trust Fund (it currently has about $4 million in it). If he put the money there then we would be sure there will be enough money in the escrow account to close Keegan properly once the Meadowlands Commission has made enough money from it.

Seriously - that money should be put away to do the one thing we all agree on - keep the contaminants in Keegan from further polluting the Kearny Marsh. That's the right thing to do. But sadly - it's all about the money!

Jim Mangin

ps - "legitimate revenue"? It's blood money.

Guest pulltheotherone
Hey, this is great! You questioned the Mayor on a financial matter! I love it! It's like I never left. Congratulations!

And the Mayor told you that on the last day of the fiscal year we did receive the $2,250,000 pay-off from the Meadowlands Commission to let them re-open the Keegan dump.

Ok, next assignment. Now ask the Mayor how we can we accept a lease payment without a signed lease agreement? (unless he signed an agreement behind closed doors). Ask him how he knows there will be enough money in the escrow account to close the landfill. Ask him why he won't put that money where it belongs - in the Town's Landfill Closure Trust Fund (it currently has about $4 million in it). If he put the money there then we would be sure there will be enough money in the escrow account to close Keegan properly once the Meadowlands Commission has made enough money from it.

Seriously - that money should be put away to do the one thing we all agree on - keep the contaminants in Keegan from further polluting the Kearny Marsh. That's the right thing to do. But sadly - it's all about the money!

Jim Mangin

ps - "legitimate revenue"? It's blood money.

Now wait a minute, aren't we supposed to be bashing the fire department here?

Guest pulltheotherone

In case no one has figured it out,if the water dept did have the valve closed in the street (which propably was the case) they are never, ever going to admit to the fact. That would make them look bad. So instead, they decided to blame a veteran firefighter,claimiming he must not know the proper way to open a hydrant. And at this late date, even if they wanted to own up (highly improbable) it would even make them look worse than they already do in some peoples eyes. Seems a shame, not having any real sense of integrity, I feel sorry for you.

FYI-The Water Department is soley responsible for maintaining and testing of the fire hydrants in Kearny, not the Fire Dept. and always has been.  If there is a known problem, the Fire Dept. is notified.  A plastic or metal ring marker is then placed on the hydrant to indicate it is out of service.  It is removed when the hydrant is placed back in service and the Fire Dept. again is notified.  The Water Department gets the job done pretty quick so no hydrant is out of service for long. 

I am told that flow testing (the volume of water coming from the hydrant, not pressure) by the Water Department is not routinely done on the hydrants so even if water flows from the hydrant, it may not be enough to be of much use to the Fire Dept.  There are several reasons why this can happen.  The photo in the Observer shows water flowing but not at a high rate (notice that the opening is partially visible, full flow would completely fill the opening).  I can't tell if the hydrant in the photo was open all the way or not.  The flushing of the hydrants that is does each year by the water department is intended to clear out sediment and to help prevent minerals from encrusting the inside of the pipes that can impede water flow.

Archived