weekend fire

Guest your tax $$$ @ wo

Guest your tax $$$ @ wo

i understand that the 2 fire hydrants closest to the fire weren't working which caused a delay in combatting the fire and allowed it to spread. how is it that 2 adjacent fire hydrants were out of commission?????? anyone have more info???

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
i understand that the 2 fire hydrants closest to the fire weren't working which caused a delay in combatting the fire and allowed it to spread.  how is it that 2 adjacent fire hydrants were out of commission??????  anyone have more info???

What started the fire?--Thats the--QUESTION??--ILLEGALS????

Why are you attacking the fire dept??

Here comes Newark, Trash, trash, trash, and more trash!!

FlagMan.

Guest guest 88
i understand that the 2 fire hydrants closest to the fire weren't working which caused a delay in combatting the fire and allowed it to spread.  how is it that 2 adjacent fire hydrants were out of commission??????  anyone have more info???

That is strange that two hydrants failed to opperate. Makes me wonder what condition are the rest of our hydrants in?

Guest Guest 70

Given the man power and the contracted hours, there is not enough man power to cover the correct maintenance of the fire hydrants.

Guest Guest
I looked for a fire box that night but I didnt see any!

You arent ever going to see any again.. The fireboxes are a thing of the past now, since the town in it's infinite wisdom, decided that the Linemen werent worth the expense. I wonder if the cost to maintain all of the streetlights (Also part of the FD lineman's job) is going to cost more or less than the salariessss since an outside contractor is doing it now???

Guest Guest
Given the man power and the contracted hours, there is not enough man power to cover the correct maintenance of the fire hydrants.

Who's speaking here the water dept. or the fire dept. Are the hydrants the responsibility of the water dept. or the fire dept. Q

Guest Fire Service Expert

Fire hydrants should be opened and flowed twice a year. This way inoperative hydrants are discovered and repaired. If this is not being done in Kearny, then someone's dropping the ball.

Guest Guest

It's like the rest of this town, it doesn't get maintained, jus fixed when it breaks down. They weould rather change an engine then an oil change! Penny wise, pound folish?

Guest me too
I looked for a fire box that night but I didnt see any!

they're used to be a box on the corner of windsor and liberty.

town thought it would be a good idea to take them all out.

faulty hydrant or not, that box could have made the difference.

Guest guestimate
they're used to be a box on the corner of windsor and liberty.

town thought it would be a good idea to take them all out.

faulty hydrant or not, that box could have made the difference.

How could it have made the difference? The firemen would have gotten there how much earlier? Was the hyrant working 3 seconds earlier?:blink:

Guest MrNixon

911 is the problem

I hear that the mayor called 911 and it took 10 minutes for the FD to arrive.

The Hydrant would not have been a problem if the FD received the call and arrived sooner.

Guest static & residual
how come the fire department dosent check the fire plugs once a year

The fire Dept. is to busy watching tv or makeing dinner to do something like that. And besides they would want extra pay for doing hydrant checks. How many times did the water Dept. have to repair a hydrant(s) because the firemen didn't know how to turn them on? I wish I had a dollar for each time. Who's foundation will they save next? Think about it! :ph34r:

The fire Dept. is to busy watching tv or makeing dinner to do something like that. And besides they would want extra pay for doing hydrant checks. How many times did the water Dept. have to repair a hydrant(s) because the firemen didn't know how to turn them on? I wish I had a dollar for each time. Who's foundation will they save next? Think about it! :angry:

:angry::angry: YOU ARE RIGHT! BUT WATCH OUT FOR THE IDIOT WHO POSTED ON CONTRACTS! IF HE WORKS FOR THE TOWN FIRE HIM!!wake up town your in sad shape ! and its not geting better thank santos! hes at the top! you want him you got him! and all the crap with him!!!! THINK! :ph34r::angry:

Guest KPDPipes
911 is the problem

I hear that the mayor called 911 and it took 10 minutes for the FD to arrive.

The Hydrant would not have been a problem if the FD received the call and arrived sooner.

Sorry, but that one is 100% Wrong. The first call came into the direct line, NOT (11. The top floor of the first house was already gone, and the second one was catching. There was NOTHING wrong with the FD's response time. Old Houses, set close together, and Old, Very Dry Wood, make for a bad combination. Considering that the siding was melted off of houses across the street, id' say they did a good job of stopping it when they did.

Sorry, but that one is 100% Wrong.  The first call came into the direct line, NOT (11.  The top floor of the first house was already gone, and the second one was catching.  There was NOTHING wrong with the FD's response time. Old Houses, set close together, and Old, Very Dry Wood, make for a bad combination.  Considering that the siding was melted off of houses across the street, id' say they did a good job of stopping it when they did.

:ph34r::ph34r: 1st i miss the pipes! now the dep't is slow and sloppy ! but you have a point about the houses ! all the more reason for more practice ! the town is small " all the fire fighters should KNOW ALL THE PLUGS AND HOW THEY WORK!!! NO EXCUSES! SLOPPY IS SLOPPY ! TIME FOR HOUSE CLEANING BIG TIME!! UNLESS THIS WAS A WORK ACTION????UNION PROBLEMS????NO CONTRACT??? I HOPE NOT!!!! :ph34r::ph34r:

Guest Static & residual

I think we are missing the point here totally. First what were the conditions of these houses, were they inspected for any violations recently. After all they are multi family dwellings. How many families were living in one appartment? This is a very real problem in Kearny. I think that the cause of the fire is what should be looked at not why the fire hydrant did not work. Besides if the firemen really knew what they were doing there would never have been a contraversy to begin with. The hydrant works that's clear. so lets look at the owners of these buildings and see if there were any violations of town codes. This issue isn't between the fire dept. and the water dept. it's a town wide issue that includes other dept's as well. Town officials are supposed to be watching out for us and our property not arguing over their inability to operate a hydrant. Think about it ! :ph34r:

Guest Meeting Attendee

At last night's council meeting, Ferraioli said that when he inspected the hydrant at 2 a.m. that it appeared not to have any mechanical problem. He however did not turn the water on at that point because the fire fighters were still working the fire. He tested in the morning (I forget what time now) and that water came out of it. He tested several times after and water came out every time.

A citizen, whose name I did not get, stated that he saw the fireman turn the valve on the hydrants at least 15 to 20 times and no water came out of the hydrant. That is why the firemen with assistance of the citizen (and another citizen) ran the hoses to another hydrant to get water.

Bottom line, we will never know why the hydrant did not work. Ferraioli said that the last time that hydrant was inspected was October 2003. That seems a long time to allow the hydrant not to be inspected.

More importantly, it appears there was a delay because of the 911 system. If you see a fire, call the fire department directly.

Guest you're kidding, right?
I think we are missing the point here totally. First what were the conditions of these houses, were they inspected for any violations recently. After all they are multi family dwellings. How many families were living in one appartment? This is a very real problem in Kearny. I think that the cause of the fire is what should be looked at not why the fire hydrant did not work. Besides if the firemen really knew what they were doing there would never have been a contraversy to begin with. The hydrant works that's clear. so lets look at the owners of these buildings and see if there were any violations of town codes. This issue isn't between the fire dept. and the water dept. it's a town wide issue that includes other dept's as well.  Town officials are supposed to be watching out for us and our property not arguing over their inability to operate a hydrant. Think about it ! :ph34r:

whether there were illegal dwellings is irrelevant. the fact remains that the hydrant didn't work. what does the # of dwellings have to do with how a fire hydrant functions?

Archived