A student of uncommon courage

Guest Paul

Saying the Pledge does move me. It moves me every time I see a congregation of people stand as one in honor of this country that has given me and my family so much.  I have seen multiple times in multiple instances at games when someone hasn't removed his hat that someone else kindly go over and ask him to remove it.  It is about respecting ones rights. The rights that were handed down to people like you and me for which we had to do nothing, but to abide by them.  It is not about doing something against all other people for the sake of being seen.  In your life, haven't you noticed that most good things are done quietly and without people noticing?  What Matthew does as your puppet directly conflicts with that statement. 

And "yes" you and your family do denigrate the flag by not giving it the respect that it deserves and the respect of the people of this country who have fought and died for it.  If you do not believe me, take a real hard look at the picture of "Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima." Tell the three of the six men that died raising the flag at Iwa Jima.  Actually tell it to all of them that you are sitting on your fat behind because of them.  See what they say. People like that have "earned it", you have not.  If you had wanted to do it the right way with wanted to be a public display, then all you had to do was not say the word "God."  No one would have known and you would not have to spend days defending your family from the people posting here.  But that was not the course you choose.  Now you have to live with the consequences.

The consequences? In other words, you do this or we're going to come down on you, and never give you a moment's peace. You're calling the most independent minded student there a puppet and threatening them with "consequences" for seeing it differently. You just proved his case and you don't even know it.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saying the Pledge does move me. It moves me every time I see a congregation of people stand as one in honor of this country that has given me and my family so much.  I have seen multiple times in multiple instances at games when someone hasn't removed his hat that someone else kindly go over and ask him to remove it.  It is about respecting ones rights. The rights that were handed down to people like you and me for which we had to do nothing, but to abide by them.  It is not about doing something against all other people for the sake of being seen.  In your life, haven't you noticed that most good things are done quietly and without people noticing?  What Matthew does as your puppet directly conflicts with that statement. 

And "yes" you and your family do denigrate the flag by not giving it the respect that it deserves and the respect of the people of this country who have fought and died for it.  If you do not believe me, take a real hard look at the picture of "Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima." Tell the three of the six men that died raising the flag at Iwa Jima.  Actually tell it to all of them that you are sitting on your fat behind because of them.  See what they say. People like that have "earned it", you have not.  If you had wanted to do it the right way with wanted to be a public display, then all you had to do was not say the word "God."  No one would have known and you would not have to spend days defending your family from the people posting here.  But that was not the course you choose.  Now you have to live with the consequences.

That flag is supposed to stand for freedom. When you use it to take freedom away, you're the one denigrating it.

Same thing for the pledge. Maybe it means one thing to you, and something equally wonderful to me. What moves me are all the sacrifices that citizens have made throughout our history for the great principles we hold dear. I'm not all that moved by a recitation, especially when I know that a lot of it is done just because it's expected. It's a little like a flower: touch it too often and the bloom is gone. (OK, so I got that from Oscar Wilde.) My way of showing respect, and Matthew's, is to stand fast to those principles, which we believe have been pushed aside in the past couple of decades.

I can't imagine how a country can remain free if everyone thinks exactly the same. I wouldn't want a country where everyone was questioning basic assumptions all the time, but I wouldn't want a country where everyone was a gung-ho military type either. The beauty of America is that we're free to think independently. Matthew's quiet reminder is not a threat to our country; just the opposite, it is desperately needed especially at times like these. The attempt to force conformity to such a degree as you're trying to do it is, by contrast, a direct threat to our country. It threatens our freedom.

We can't have it both ways. If we want freedom, we have to give it room to breathe. You seem to want to say we're free, but when it comes to acting like it, you want to impose "consequences" on the few of us who are willing to say "let's not get carried away with the pledging." We're talking about symbolism here. A country cannot force that on people and also remain free. A free country needs at least a few people saying "not for me, let's look at this another way."

You're right, Mr. Paszkiewicz. In fact your Bible says to pray behind closed doors so no one can see or hear you. It goes on to say that ppl who make a big show of praying already have their reward. It also says something about hypocrites. So why do we need to say a public pledge, Mr. P?

I certainly hope that you were paying attention in school today Matt, instead of daydreaming all day about KOTW.

Gee, Mr. Paszkiewicz, I never thoughta that. You must be really, really, really, really smart, just like you said. Can you tell me the names of some of those furiners who have lost respect for our country because Matthew doesn't stand for the pledge? I'll pay you $100 for every name, and you pay me $100 for every one who has lost respect for us because of your favorite president.

So how about it, big boy? Is it a deal, mister super-duper, super-smart teacher man?

How are you going to get into a great college if you don't do your homework Matt?

Mr. Paszkiewicz, cut it out already! We all know it's you. I'm just curious, how do you know what the principal said to Matthew? Aren't discussions like that supposed to be in private? You wouldn't be making it up, would you, Mr. P?

Oh no, you wouldn't do that. YOu would never do anything to harm Matthew. Or all the students you said were going to hell. Or your own son when you break his backside. You wouldn't ever actually hurt any of them.

Still haven't started your homework yet Matt?

But Mr. Paszkiewicz, Matthew did participate in a history changing event. In fact, he just helped you make the history books. You should be honored. When your name appears in a year or two, are you going to skip that chapter?

Be a good boy and do your homework Matt.

Mr. Paszkiewicz, isn't there a story in the Bible about Peter denying Jesus three times? You were spreading the word of God in that classroom. Don't deny it. Be proud of it. Or did you forget about that part?

Does Mom and Dad know your not doing your homework?

What's the problem, Mr. Paszkiewicz? Couldn't you get any decent lawyer to take your case.

Not that that should tell you anything.

Are you getting the point of this yet, Mr. Paszkiewicz?

Nah, that's way too much to ask.

Ok ok ok, you can do one more before you homework Matt.

You just never get it, do you, Mr. Paszkiewicz. No matter how many times you get exposed trying to pretend you're someone else, you don't get it.

The charade is over, Mr. P. It's been you all along. Well, we're onto now, so give it up.

There ya go Matt, feel better now that you got your KOTW fix? Now you can get started on your homework. But first, have a little snack before you start, you need the energy after all that playing.

That flag is supposed to stand for freedom. When you use it to take freedom away, you're the one denigrating it.

Same thing for the pledge. Maybe it means one thing to you, and something equally wonderful to me. What moves me are all the sacrifices that citizens have made throughout our history for the great principles we hold dear. I'm not all that moved by a recitation, especially when I know that a lot of it is done just because it's expected. It's a little like a flower: touch it too often and the bloom is gone. (OK, so I got that from Oscar Wilde.) My way of showing respect, and Matthew's, is to stand fast to those principles, which we believe have been pushed aside in the past couple of decades.

I can't imagine how a country can remain free if everyone thinks exactly the same. I wouldn't want a country where everyone was questioning basic assumptions all the time, but I wouldn't want a country where everyone was a gung-ho military type either. The beauty of America is that we're free to think independently. Matthew's quiet reminder is not a threat to our country; just the opposite, it is desperately needed especially at times like these. The attempt to force conformity to such a degree as you're trying to do it is, by contrast, a direct threat to our country. It threatens our freedom.

We can't have it both ways. If we want freedom, we have to give it room to breathe. You seem to want to say we're free, but when it comes to acting like it, you want to impose "consequences" on the few of us who are willing to say "let's not get carried away with the pledging." We're talking about symbolism here. A country cannot force that on people and also remain free. A free country needs at least a few people saying "not for me, let's look at this another way."

You prefer to force conformity to your beliefs and have no one say the pledge.

Alright, Matt, you can write one more, but this is the last one, you really must start your homework.

OK, Mr. Paszkiewicz, you got me. It's Matthew. Boy, I just can't put one past you, can I.

You know, Mr. P, you really disappoint me, entering a battle of wits unarmed. It's like going into a swordfight without a sword, or a wrestling match without your trunks on. It just leaves you so, well --- vulnerable. You know.

If you're going to try comebacks, you can't just call me Matthew twenty times in a row. You have to try to say something clever, like "Oh yeah?!" If you get really good at it, you might even be able to weave in the topic, like I did. If you read my posts again, I think you'll see the difference.

By the way, thanks for that day off Tuesday. I really appreciated it. A few of my classmates even thanked me.

How did it go for you? How did your fellow teachers feel about getting schooled because of you? I bet you were just their little apple-cheeked boy.

Well, now that we know it's just you and me here, we don't have to be so formal anymore. From now on, you can just call me sir.

Your accidental teacher,

Matthew

KOTW Note: Please note that this post was submitted as "Matthew" as a Guest and may not be the registered member "Matthew LaClair".

Of course he knows his motives and you do as well. Check some of your earlier posts when you said you "trained" him. Other people in this town raise their children and teach their children and nature their children.  Paul trains them.  Guess thats how he got them to go on the paper in the first place.

Taking a page out of Bryan's book isn't something to be proud of, guest.

So you are saying that you are in contact with fools.

It's almost impossible not to be--they're everywhere. B) If only I was a hermit.

I guess that is where you get these witty posts from.

Wow, how long did it take you to think of that? Not long, I hope--that was a terrible slam.

Even you being a member of this blog,

Forum.

know from time to time who is posting without even reading who it is from.  It doesn’t take a genius or a fool to figure that out.  So keep trying to fool us, Matthew.

Except that Matthew's writing style is significantly different from mine. Not to mention there would be no real reason for Matthew to post under two different names here. No evidence, no motive, nothing--just a bunch of idiots trying to convince themselves through repetition.

Sorry, that's not how facts come to be here in the real world.