Walmart

Guest Shopper

Guest Shopper

Mayor Santos has been having discussions with Walmart to put a Walmart Superstore in Kearny. Actually, it is more in Harrison than Kearny because the traffic will be in Harrison. Not a bad deal except that a Walmart with a supermarket will no doubt put what is left of local mom and pop stores out of business on Kearny Avenue. Instead of developing a real plan with the UEZ to attract quality stores to Kearny Avenue, the Mayor is looking for a quick fix. The Mayor and Council in Belleville voted against the Walmart. So now Kearny is runner up. The Mayor is stupid. What ever revenue is generated from the 3% tax will be lost once the UEZ designation expires. It will unlikely be renewed by the State. What should Kearny have it and Harrison and East Newark not have it. Walmart is the down fall of Kearny as local businesses will be driven out of business and Kearny Avenue will be deserted with its pink odd shaped sidewalks.

I love Walmart. Great selections, everything you need in one shot, and great prices. I would think that if the town of Kearny made a deal that would include that Walmart would, as a good neighbor, fix the nightmare that the people are having with the flooding its a home run for everyone. If it were a politicians house or one of the other families that reap hundreds of thousands of dollars a year from the town the problem would have been fixed long ago regardless of the cost.

Guest Kearny Resident

I agree that bringing a Walmart to Kearny/Harrison is a GREAT idea. We have no real shopping centers in town. KMart does not really have a whole lot of nice things anymore. Kohls is a great store, but it is not in town. We as Kearny residents want to keep the money in our own towns we need to shop here. The dollar stores have to go. There are just too many. We need more stores that will give you a great variety of many things, as WALMART DOES!! I am awaiting the opening of Walmart.

Guest Kardinals

The only people that really have a problem with the store opening is union reps. It is supposedly taking away from there jobs and the american people. I lived in Watchung NJ when the fight was going on with the walmart there. They all stayed there with the signs and forced people not to go. If i encountered them i would of kept going and not cared at all. I was a union memeber UFCW and i worked at a supermarket for 4 years. My dad fell ill and i was the oldest in the family so i had to take over. I got fired 2 days later and all the union said was sorry bye bye. So to all the union members that try to stop this walmart from going in good luck but you know what i will be right down there with you and other town residents pushing it through. Also to all the tax payers off kearny, you are always asking why do we pay so much. Well we barely have any of these big bix retailers. You will see a break on your taxes if more of these stores move in. Look at other towns they are paying less then us but have more programs in town. So development is a real good thing.

• 5 weeks later...

Wal-Mart always SEEMS like a good idea. Large selection, Low prices; who wouldn't want that? But if you investigate further, you'll find that you not only pay for your items, you pay with town citizens having smaller salaries. Also, Wal-Mart supplements its almost non-existent health care for employees with government health care, which means YOU, the consumer, the taxpayer, pay for Wal-Mart’s employee health care!!

see the website and TV special at:

Wal-Mart.. Good for Kearny?

Guest Guest 99
Wal-Mart always SEEMS like a good idea.  Large selection, Low prices; who wouldn't want that?  But if you investigate further, you'll find that you not only pay for your items, you pay with town citizens having smaller salaries.  Also, Wal-Mart supplements its almost non-existent health care for employees with government health care, which means YOU, the consumer, the taxpayer, pay for Wal-Mart’s employee health care!!

see the website and TV special at:

Wal-Mart.. Good for Kearny?

If what you say is true that Wal-Mart supplements its health benefits with government programs, should we not be going after the government? On the surface this appears to be nothing more than another government subside gone wrong.

Maybe thre Councilmen could get Walmart to donate brooms to the people with the flooded basements. The town certainly isn't helping. Only certain families matter.

Get the picture.

Do you know how much Walmart can put into the Politicians pockets? Way more than you. They will do whatever they want no matter how much you cry so just shut-up and shop at Walmart.

Archived