Fires

Guest Guest

Does anyone know how many actual fires, not calls for service, that the HFD put out so far in 2004? Their budget is about $8,000,000 dollars so we are trying to figure out cost per fire. That is the fires they extinguished themselves without mutual aid are the ones we are looking for. We have to lower the taxes somehow and this seems to be the place to start. Also, if there are certain times when the least fires occur so we can reduce the manpower like the cops to three guys.

WELL THERE HAS BEEN FOUR QUESTIONABLE FIRES AT PETCHERS RECENTLY. WHEN I ASKED THE PERSONNEL ON DUTY I GOT A NASTY REMARK AND TOLD TO HEAD HOME. FUNNY THE OBSERVER FAILED TO COVER IT, WHY?

USUALLY ATTRINO IS RIGHT THERE WITH A PIC AND ACTION PLAY BY PLAY, WHY WASN'T HE CALLED? UNDERSTAND THIS MUCH HARRISON FIRE DOES NOTHING WITHOUT MUTUAL AID INSIGHT. :P:blink:

The Fire Department does much more than "just put out an occasional fire." They provide the EMS (Emergency Medical Services) in the town, both 9-1-1 and non-emergency transports (people who cannot walk, or go by wheelchairs) to local hospitals/clinics/etc. Additionally, the Fire Department is charged with handling the main aspects of Emergency Management with the town, which in turn, due to its proximity to Newark/NYC/Path Service/All Major Highways/ETC, is OF THE MOST IMPORTANCE.

Also, the Fire Department participates in community service affairs... so if you ask me...

They are valuable, worth it... and should be appreciated.

Chief Dolaghan has kept the overtime budget for the FD under $50,000 since he's been Chief. Lets give him a hand for being so prudent with the taxpayers money. He is a hand's on Chief unlike his counterpart on the PD.

Gary Garrison and the Cops do the transports. A private ambulance company can be hired for a fraction of the cost for medical responses. There are very, very few fires and other towns depts. are the ones who really put them out. As far as OEM is concerned, what are the terrorists gonna target? The whole town is one big parking lot. The Clubhouses where the Alleged "Fireman" play and sleep are niothing but patronage mills which the biggest wastes of money in the town. Can't say its for votes, because 90% of the fireman moved out of town. Moving "UP" and "OUT" as they say, not having to live among the peasants. Tell it like it is, easy money for the relatives of the politicians and others.

Guest In the Know
All of you folks that criticize the Police and Fire Departments should get your wish. Then you better get down on your knees and pray to the ALMIGHTY LORD ABOVE that we don't have a serious emergency in this Town. And for sure, if it happens to be your house that burns,we will all hear you wail about not having firefighters and police to assist you in your hour of need.Once you smell burning flesh and realiize that you just lost your family due to such a tragedy, YOU will suddenly change your tune.

Guest taxpayer_Guest

I sit here and read all the complaints on this site and wonder if the people complaining about the Police, Fire, and the board of Education are always unhappy. They seem to find something wrong with every attempt by our elected Officials in every way the try to do something for the taxpayers in this town. We need more school space, and trailers are made available to use for tempory use until adaquate classroms or even schools are built , but people expect this to happen overnight. They want to new classroms," but not in my neighborhood attitudes." The police are good only when they come to thier rescue, and the fire dept. is necessary only when the come to save their house or get a loved one to the hospital in time to save their precious lives. Thier attiude seems to be these services are only a necessity when they are needed by them alone, what about the rest of us taxpayers?. Who gives you unhappy residents the athority to speak for the rest of us taxpayers who depend on the wellbeing and security that we feel is being addressed by our town? If you can find a better solution to the condition that you seem to feel is in terrbile need of change submit your ideas to this site and find out how credible your solutions can be put to work.

Chief Dolaghan has kept the overtime budget for the FD under $50,000 since he's been Chief. Lets give him a hand for being so prudent with the taxpayers money. He is a hand's on Chief unlike his counterpart on the PD.

That's because he is a cheepskate.

The only burning flesh you are ever gonna smell with the Harrison Fireman around is if they roast a pig while on duty in the summer in their stupid looking shorts. The only fires they get in involved in are in their home fireplaces while they count their money after a good nights on-duty sleep.

Because of Harrison's proximity to NYC (8 miles direct), it is extremely vulernerable to a terrorist attack.... probably not DIRECTLY, but certainly INDIRECTLY.

1) If there was a plume involved (Chemical, Biological, Radiological)... and prevailing winds were blowing from the East... where do you think the plume will go... hmmmm, over Harrison and Hudson County.

2) If there was another mass evacuation of NYC (for whatever reason)... how do those people leave the city? Answer: Ferry, Aircraft, Rail ---- PATH STATION (which stops in Harrsion). If civilians needed to be decontamined... and they self evacuate to NJ... and if many get off at Harrison.... you can see my point. HIGH RISK THERE.

3) I-280, NJTP, GSP, RT21, etc - all major travel arteries... any impact to any of them will affect Harrison.

4) South Kearny's proximity to Harrison ----> need I say more. It is on the State's Critical Infrastruction Protection list.

5) Newark ----> NJ's biggest city; borders Harrison.

There are probably a few more, but thats all for now.

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>All of you folks that criticize the Police and Fire Departments should get your wish. Then you better get down on your knees and pray to the ALMIGHTY LORD ABOVE that we don't have a serious emergency in this Town. And for sure, if it happens to be your house that burns,we will all hear you wail about not having firefighters and police to assist you in your hour of need.Once you smell burning flesh and realiize that you just lost your family due to such a tragedy, YOU will suddenly change your tune. </span></span>

WE'LL CALL EAST NEWARK

we usually do have them at the scene :D along with jersey city so what is your point. appreciate what the over the top salaries their sleeping abilities, their great physical shapes, what exactly must one admire? community service? noww that is funny! if i bull local merchants into give me shit and threaten them with violation codes to their wore down location as is true of national wholesaler i too can have my pic in the paper. i suppose the rides the cops give anyone and everyone daily and their projects, such as the angel project does qualify them. well not in salary that's a given. praise thee big brother :o

Not one thing mentioned justifies the outrageous salaries and budget of the Harrison Fire Department. Maybe Santa Claus will spray the town with toxic gas as he flies over the town with presents. It is remarkable how if so many seemingly unrelated people take the test that the ones hired by the town just happen to be a relative of a town official or other town "big-shot." It is also amazing how the town gets away with not hiring virtually any minority applicants to the Fire Department. The Feds should check that out.

Is that the towns policy on minority hiring or just your personal racist thinking? Maybe you will grow up someday, but i doubt it. just another ignorant asshole who wants Harrison to be strictly for white people. Well guess what, you are the one that will have to move to your white world if you can find it because I see many good people of all cultures moving into town.

• 2 weeks later...

How many raging "blazes" did the priveleged few of the HFD put out over the holiday weekend? It must have been in the double digits at least! How can they go on like this with the little money they are paid?

I found my white world right where I am I think you should go found yours. thank you

:huh: Thank you Harrison Fire and Harrison Police Departments for all you do for the citizens of Harrison. We feel safe with both of you around.

Not all citizens feel the same way as some of these people do on this website.

Don't let this negative talk get you down, keep up the good work all of you.

Archived