Massive Tax Increase

Guest Guest

look at Tues' Jersey Journal for Kearny's town budget and it says taxes are going up $5,000,000!!!

it's amazing that nothing was in the newspapers about this! you have to find this stuff out by reading the legal ads!

doesn't anybody care??!!

Guest Guest 99

The reality of the situation is that the proposed preliminary budget increase is 1.2 million, not 5 million. And, this is before a response to the towns request for 2 million in extraordinary aid.

As to your other statements, the budget process goes on for months prior to a proposal and anyone who attended council meetings would have known all about it.

doesn't anybody care??!! No, until its too late. Taxpayers are, and always will be, reactive rather than proactive.

I hope this answer gets in before the budget is passed.

You have a lot of nerve to complain about massive tax increases when the poor fireman can barely make ends meet while working their grueling schedule. Just pay your next increase like a good little soldier and thank God that you live in a town where people are allowed to live 15 to an apartment. Viva Hudson county!

Guest ILoveBush
look at Tues' Jersey Journal for Kearny's town budget and it says taxes are going up $5,000,000!!!

it's amazing that nothing was in the newspapers about this! you have to find this stuff out by reading the legal ads!

doesn't anybody care??!!

Thats what democrats (aka bleeding hearts) do. Taxing the sh*t out of us is just the nature of the beast.

Guest guest_Guest

the 771000 increase for the police & fire pensions should have been put away.the towns have not paid into the pensions for four years. where has this money gone?now they have to pay .

The reality of the situation is that the proposed preliminary budget increase is 1.2 million, not 5 million. And, this is before a response to the towns request for 2 million in extraordinary aid.

As to your other statements, the budget process goes on for months prior to a proposal and anyone who attended council meetings would have known all about it.

doesn't anybody care??!! No, until its too late. Taxpayers are, and always will be, reactive rather than proactive.

Can't the Mayor Bond for the short fall? I am sure he can float a 5 million dollar bond, and keep taxes stable. Bonding is the key to all financial problems. Why raise taxes when you can borrow, then declare bankruptcy? Viva Portugal, Viva Santos

I have sat here on my computer for years and espoused exactly what John Leadbeater kept saying when he was running and everyone always told me I was nuts. Guess you are all waking up to the reality that maybe he was right! Raising taxes is just an easy way of solving problems. The mayor continues to blame the same groups and people yet he never talks about all the money this group waste. NO one ever looks for other ideas especially if they are not coming from the mayor

Guest hold on to your hats

Is it true that the board is floating bounds for repairs at the high school? Repairs that must be done before the new construction can start. :unsure::blink::o:(

Guest PayPayPay
You have a lot of nerve to complain about massive tax increases when the poor fireman can barely make ends meet while working their grueling schedule.

I think the back pay for 3 years is included in this figure.

• 2 weeks later...

The "reality of the situation" that you're talking about is pure b.s. Numbers don't lie, but people do. The $1.2 million budget increase you mention is only the increase in appropriations. There's also a $3.7 million decrease in revenue. Add the two together and you get a real picture of what this budget looks like - a $5 million increase ($4,918,900.75 to be exact).

As to the request for extraordinary aid, it would be nice but don't count on $2 million. Last year Kearny rec'd zero. In fact, the largest award to a SFY community (like Kearny) was $900,000. What reasons did we give the state for requiring this aid? Increases in employee benefit costs, increased tipping fees, and increased insurance costs - are not extraordinary. Every municipality has these same increases. Kearny's only hope for extra state aid lies with our legislators. If we receive it, thank them. If we don't, don't blame them.

Councilman Jim Mangin

Guest say it aint so
Is it true that the board is floating bounds for repairs at the high school? Repairs that must be done before the new construction can start. :(  :P  :lol:  :lol:

Didn't the board just get a fifty million dollar grant from the P.A. Why don't they use some of that to do the repairs?

The "reality of the situation" that you're talking about is pure b.s. Numbers don't lie, but people do. The $1.2 million budget increase you mention is only the increase in appropriations. There's also a $3.7 million decrease in revenue. Add the two together and you get a real picture of what this budget looks like - a $5 million increase ($4,918,900.75 to be exact).

As to the request for extraordinary aid, it would be nice but don't count on $2 million. Last year Kearny rec'd zero. In fact, the largest award to a SFY community (like Kearny) was $900,000. What reasons did we give the state for requiring this aid? Increases in employee benefit costs, increased tipping fees, and increased insurance costs - are not extraordinary. Every municipality has these same increases. Kearny's only hope for extra state aid lies with our legislators. If we receive it, thank them. If we don't, don't blame them.

Councilman Jim Mangin

Thanks for the explanation Councilman Mangin. Someone once told me that in elections, people get what they deserve, well the 3rd ward is really in trouble. Imagine no one left but those that spout the rhetoric, but they voted for them so I guess they'll get what they deserve.

Councilman Jim Mangin

P.S. Councilman Mangin, forget the legislators, Santos has alienated everyone of them. He's an isolationist, No where to go, no one to see

No wonder their geting rid of you. You are on the finance commitee aren't you?

Yes, I am a member of the Finance Committee. And my diagreements with that committee and this Council on finance issues have been well documented over the years. Last year I was the only Council member to offer any potential budget cuts (almost $400,000 - see my post of Dec 12, 2003), which were ignored. I offerred an alternative to Santos' 2003 bonding scheme (not to be confused with his 2002 bonding scheme, or 2004 bonding scheme). That alternative would have saved taxpayers $480,000 in administrative costs - but it was also ignored.

This Mayor (and Finance Committee) denied the existence of $1.8 million in surplus bond funds I sought to use to save taxpayers money. After proving to the newspapers that the money did exist, Santos was forced to admit he was wrong.

I've said it before, and it's still true - Santos doesn't have a clue about how much his administration has borrowed over the years. That disagreement between the Council and me has also been well documented.

Now, during this current budget debate let's see which Council members (if any) offer any suggestions on how to reduce that half million dollar increase. I'm up to the challenge. And I don't need the Meadowlands Commission to be my "sugar daddy" to reduce taxes.

Councilman Jim Mangin

Archived