New Principal At Washington School

Guest washington school parents

Guest washington school parents

well i guess it's now official the boe really are a bunch of idiots. Mary costello is now principal of washington school and is making $118,000+ a year. While Mr. Diaz is now filling costello's job at $125,000+ a year. Now we know why the school budget was shot down. Why are we paying these ppl this kinda of money to run the school? Mary costello says she is tri lingual according to this weeks kearny journal. What do we care how many languages she speaks she doesn't even live in kearny anymore. But Mr. diaz who does live in kearny was sent to franklin school earning his principals pay. What's up with that? Mary costello wants to make friends with the parents of washington school? I wish her lots of luck. How long she lasts in the school will be seen. I was worried about the abbott to go with costello but instead you got addie and costello. This should be a good working relationship. Wonder what costello would do if all the parents protested the first day of school. We are not happy with a new principal and we will get mr. diaz back. it's just ashame that we are paying all this money to these ppl and they say that the washington school district is poor. Cause all our money is going to the principals. They get richer and we keep paying for it. I think it's time that the boe starts paying for this out of their own pocket and leave the taxpayers alone for a change. With diaz suing the boe the only ones who suffer are the taxpayers he will win his lawsuit, and we will pay for it. Maybe what we should do is when he wins let the boe pay him out of their pockets. They will think twice about screwing with the taxpayers. maybe this town will wake up and smell the coffee and get these elected officials out and take matters into our own hands. They are giving all the jobs to friends and family at high salaries and we are going broke paying the taxes. WE NEED TO WISE UP!~

Guest Guest

Here's a question: Why don't all of the families at Washington School request that their children be placed in another school because it is a failing school under the no child left behind law? It would be interesting to see how the BOE would handle that!

Guest Guest
well i guess it's now official the boe really are a bunch of idiots. Mary costello is now principal of washington school and is making $118,000+ a year. While Mr. Diaz is now filling costello's job at $125,000+ a year. Now we know why the school budget was shot down. Why are we paying these ppl this kinda of money to run the school? Mary costello says she is tri lingual according to this weeks kearny journal. What do we care how many languages she speaks she doesn't even live in kearny anymore. But Mr. diaz who does live in kearny was sent to franklin school earning his principals pay. What's up with that? Mary costello wants to make friends with the parents of washington school? I wish her lots of luck. How long she lasts in the school will be seen. I was worried about the abbott to go with costello but instead you got addie and costello. This should be a good working relationship. Wonder what costello would do if all the parents protested the first day of school. We are not happy with a new principal and we will get mr. diaz back. it's just ashame that we are paying all this money to these ppl and they say that the washington school district is poor. Cause all our money is going to the principals. They get richer and we keep paying for it. I think it's time that the boe starts paying for this out of their own pocket and leave the taxpayers alone for a change. With diaz suing the boe the only ones who suffer are the taxpayers he will win his lawsuit, and we will pay for it. Maybe what we should do is when he wins let the boe pay him out of their pockets. They will think twice about screwing with the taxpayers. maybe this town will wake up and smell the coffee and get these elected officials out and take matters into our own hands. They are giving all the jobs to friends and family at high salaries and we are going broke paying the taxes. WE NEED TO WISE UP!~

Yes, you do need to wise up. You need to support the new principal. You can do that while still supporting Diaz if he wishes to continue to fight for a principal's job.

Not supporting MC will only hurt the children.

You also need to wise up, in that a major argument you people have made in support of BD was his ability to communicate with children and parents in their native language, now you don't care that MC can speak three languages? I don't get it.

Be the bigger people in this and do the right thing.

Guest Guest

It's called mis-management of funds at the expense of tax payers and the parents and children of Washington School. All to give a few people who are in good with the BOE or have some type of connections what they want.

Where is the logic in this move? At least Mr. Diaz had experience at Washington as a teacher, VP, and principal. His test numbers were up and there was a positive feeling at the school.

What does Ms. Costello bring to this school?

Guest Guest

Well, she should be able to last longer than the VP that lasted two weeks. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Guest Franklin School Parent

How dare you! Mrs. Costello is wonderful. You should count your blessings that you are getting such a dedicated person to be your principal. Our loss is your gain. Mrs. Costello has a wonderful relationship with the children and the parents. She gets involved. As far as the number of languages she speaks, that is important so she can communicate with everyone. Why not give her a chance, just like the parents at Franklin school will be giving Mr. Diaz. As far as Mr. Diaz' lawsuit, let it go. It has nothing to do with you. The truth will come out in the end. Oh and just to let you know, Mrs. Costello can not be intimidated, so a protest wouldn't even bother her. She is there for the kids, not you!

Guest washington school parent
How dare you! Mrs. Costello is wonderful. You should count your blessings that you are getting such a dedicated person to be your principal. Our loss is your gain. Mrs. Costello has a wonderful relationship with the children and the parents. She gets involved. As far as the number of languages she speaks, that is important so she can communicate with everyone. Why not give her a chance, just like the parents at Franklin school will be giving Mr. Diaz. As far as Mr. Diaz' lawsuit, let it go. It has nothing to do with you. The truth will come out in the end. Oh and just to let you know, Mrs. Costello can not be intimidated, so a protest wouldn't even bother her. She is there for the kids, not you!

how dare i? very easily. If mary costello is that wonderful you should take her back and count your blessings that a dedicated person will return as your vice principal. From what i understand franklin school couldn't wait to get rid of her. I personally have nothing against her and have never met her. I hope she can shine the shoes of mr. diaz when it comes to the principal job at washington school because there is no principal that lasts a long time there. I could care less if she gets intimidated or not she does not scare us in any way shape or form. I am looking forward to her comming into the school and hopefully she will keep with the good work that mr. diaz did in that school. I'm sure she has alot to offer and she is comming into the school with alot of resentment from the parents but i am sure she will get a fair chance here. We can always see how much a protest won't bother her and see how much she is there for the kids. Let's see if she walks around the school in the morning and afterschool like mr. diaz did to make sure our kids were safe. Lets see if she keeps the kids safe as they are trying to cross a street with 10 cars double parked and see if she goes to the mayor and complains about the parking and crossing problem at our school. I suggest you stay at franklin school and worry about your own problems like the overcrowded classrooms and fed up teachers complaining to the boe and its falling on deaf ears. It's very easy to write a post on this board but lets see how much action you take with your own school. And if you feel washington is lucky to have mary costello as a principal why don't you transfer your kid to our school. Or maybe you just like to blow alot of hot air but you are to good for us? I think your a pretty ignorant person and maybe you should stay at franklin school and educate yourself. Maybe mr. diaz can enlighten you a little.

Guest Guest 99
How dare you!  Mrs. Costello is wonderful.  You should count your blessings that you are getting such a dedicated person to be your principal.  Our loss is your gain.  Mrs. Costello has a wonderful relationship with the children and the parents.  She gets involved.  As far as the number of languages she speaks, that is important so she can communicate with everyone.  Why not give her a chance, just like the parents at Franklin school will be giving Mr. Diaz.  As far as Mr. Diaz' lawsuit, let it go.  It has nothing to do with you.  The truth will come out in the end.  Oh and just to let you know, Mrs. Costello can not be intimidated, so a protest wouldn't even bother her.  She is there for the kids, not you!

how dare i? very easily. If mary costello is that wonderful you should take her back and count your blessings that a dedicated person will return as your vice principal. From what i understand franklin school couldn't wait to get rid of her. I personally have nothing against her and have never met her. I hope she can shine the shoes of mr. diaz when it comes to the principal job at washington school because there is no principal that lasts a long time there. I could care less if she gets intimidated or not she does not scare us in any way shape or form. I am looking forward to her comming into the school and hopefully she will keep with the good work that mr. diaz did in that school. I'm sure she has alot to offer and she is comming into the school with alot of resentment from the parents but i am sure she will get a fair chance here. We can always see how much a protest won't bother her and see how much she is there for the kids. Let's see if she walks around the school in the morning and afterschool like mr. diaz did to make sure our kids were safe. Lets see if she keeps the kids safe as they are trying to cross a street with 10 cars double parked and see if she goes to the mayor and complains about the parking and crossing problem at our school. I suggest you stay at franklin school and worry about your own problems like the overcrowded classrooms and fed up teachers complaining to the boe and its falling on deaf ears. It's very easy to write a post on this board but lets see how much action you take with your own school. And if you feel washington is lucky to have mary costello as a principal why don't you transfer your kid to our school. Or maybe you just like to blow alot of hot air but you are to good for us? I think your a pretty ignorant person and maybe you should stay at franklin school and educate yourself. Maybe mr. diaz can enlighten you a little.

Lets be realistic for once. Everything in here is basically hot air.

Washington School parents were going to the BOE meeting and would staighten everything out. NOT!!

They were going to make sure Mary Torres son didn't get re-elected. NOT!

They knew the names would be announced at a BOE meeting. NOT!

In your own word, "We need to wise up." NOT!!!!!

Washington School parents haven't done a single thing to stop the process. WHY??

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest
How dare you!  Mrs. Costello is wonderful.  You should count your blessings that you are getting such a dedicated person to be your principal.  Our loss is your gain.  Mrs. Costello has a wonderful relationship with the children and the parents.  She gets involved.  As far as the number of languages she speaks, that is important so she can communicate with everyone.  Why not give her a chance, just like the parents at Franklin school will be giving Mr. Diaz.  As far as Mr. Diaz' lawsuit, let it go.  It has nothing to do with you.  The truth will come out in the end.  Oh and just to let you know, Mrs. Costello can not be intimidated, so a protest wouldn't even bother her.  She is there for the kids, not you!

Lets be realistic for once. Everything in here is basically hot air.

Washington School parents were going to the BOE meeting and would staighten everything out. NOT!!

They were going to make sure Mary Torres son didn't get re-elected. NOT!

They knew the names would be announced at a BOE meeting. NOT!

In your own word, "We need to wise up." NOT!!!!!

Washington School parents haven't done a single thing to stop the process. WHY??

Mary Costello and Bert Diaz BOTH have their good and bad points, both have their fans and detractors -- among the teachers and the parents and children. Neither one is beyond reproach and both are hard workers and "there for the children."

One thing that should change from this experience is this: let's stop the pot shots against the parents of Washington School. They rallied around an issue they believed in and were courageous to stand up and speak for themselves. They have nothing to be ashamed of or anything to apologize for, and Mr. Diaz did Washington School a favor: he got the parents very very involved. Mary Costello will have an active group of parents, thanks to all the controversy. And that is a wonderful benefit that came out of all this.

Another thing that needs to be addressed is the RUDE RUDE RUDE behavior of a few of the Board officers and members. Certain Board members should be ashamed of their behavior at the June 21 BOE meeting. What I am referring to is that certain BOE members found the accents and mispronounciations of the speakers hysterical. These BOE members were actually laughing and nudging each other when the parents had difficulty speaking.

These pillars of Kearny should see how they look to the audience when they are laughing at people -- they should stop rolling their eyes (maybe they don't know they are doing it) and making faces. Is there a videotape they could look at?

If there were such a videotape, you would see that Board members such as Jean McKeown, John Campbell, Alan Doffont, and Bob Correnti DO NOT laugh at audience members. They are respectful at all times, and they actually seem to be lkstening, not looking down, doodling, etc.

The rest of them are seemingly amused by the less articulate audience members , but some of the BOE members appear to be half asleep or tranquilized. Some avoid eye contact with the audience. Mr Mooney likes eye contact - he said so in his speech firing Diaz. But do you see much eye contact from the BOE whenever there is trouble at the BOE?

Board members should also reserve the blue sunglasses for other occasions, sit up straight if they can, and look at the people speaking -- these behaviors are common courtesies and common sense.

And if the Board President can't pronounce a name, she should try to WITH RESPECT and then perhaps apologize graciously for her inability to read/pronounce the name, maybe then spell it, and give the address --- don't say "whatever" and roll the eyes.

BOE members should not underestimate the ability of audience members to get the drift -- one lady sitting near me said to her friend, "They are laughing at us." I thought it was very sad.

As far as the pot shots about the Torres/Morejon election -- it is very hard to unseat an incumbent that has the Mayor's backing. Morejon did a good job in coming close.

The Diaz supporters were pretty articulate, accents and all, and their children in attendance were very well behaved.

Did Diaz really have to be humiliated like he was? He really did do a good job as the principal, but his big mouth did him in, and I hope he learned his lesson so that his career can get on the path it should be. I can understand why the BOE did what they felt was right -- Diaz brought much of the situation on himself, especially with the TV appearances and the gossip, but the BOE overreacted in the firings of the two psychologists and should have taken an intermediate step or two before demoting Diaz.

Maybe we ALL could learn a little something from the Mr. Diaz debacle.

Archived