Metrostars

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I heard on 1010 WINS today that the MetroStars deal is as good as done. This is not a joke. So Harrisonians, if you think that the streets aren't loud enough with the blaring music and screaming at night, just wait. And as to the traffic, AHHHHHHHHHHH! The town is gonna be gridlock year-round. The blaring music and the drunks in town after the games are sure to raise property values. Now all three of the cops that are on duty at night will be on traffic posts so who you gonna call, Ghostbusters. They will be so busy with the drunks and maniacs outside the stadium that the town will have to ask the criminals not commit crimes between 7pm and midnight. And believe me, if you think the Mayor is gonna spend overtime on Cops, you are really nuts. Of course the town will have a need for an additional 10 or 20 fireman. That will require more captains, Batt. Chiefs, and Dep. Chiefs to keep as eye on them = HIGHER TAXES. Sometimes you might just get what you asked for. Good luck. Keep the doors shut, the windows locked, and start saving now for the tax increase. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLL!!!! MAS CERVEZA, POR FAVOR!!

Guest BOO HOO

Sorry about all my crying, but I just can't pass that darn sgt. test. Please pray to ST. JUDE for me because I am truely a lost cause. Anyway, more tears to follow. BOO HOO FOR NOW.

Guest Guest

Looking into my crystal ball, I see bad new for the HPD. If I were the Mayor, first thing I would do stop buying police cars as they broke becuase there are too many anyway. 90% of the Cops will be on full-time traffic posts with the new Metrostars Stadium being built. The only transportation they will need is their shoes. The Supervisors will be taking the radio calls because those will be fixed posts and not to be messed with. I predict the Mayor will ORDER that being the Cops abused him, his family, and everyone else close to him in the past year. The Cops embarrassed the guy for really no reason at all except they wanted promotions where there was no room to make promotions anyway. The payback will be sure and severe. Now who are they gonna run to complain about him. He is most likely the most powerfull Mayor in Hudson County now after getting the big deal closed for the town. So pay the $3000 or $3500 for your promotional exam, screw your whole family by having to study all summer, and then just maybe, but I doubt it, he'll make 1 promotion if the guy that comes out #1 isn't one of the big men on campus. Maybe they can ask Vinny Greene to help them, the Mayor knew he made a mistake back then and admitted it. I'm sure he'll take time out from his VERY comfortable and carefree lifestyle to run to the rescue. What a bunch of fools. Anybody with half a brain could have seen this one coming, but look who you dealing with. I only hope the new guys don't follow the bigmouths down the path to doom. Stay safe, its a tough job and a few disgruntled peabrains made it even worse for the rest of the guys.

Guest YEAH U THINK

Harrison couldn't handle 8,000 soprano wanna be's, when they held the call for a cast member. REMEMBER. THEY'RE GONNA HANDLE 25,000 PEOPLE

Guest Guest

They will handle things as they always have, with the same amount of Cops and no overtime. It was done in the past administration. Just change the Cops hours as needed to cover the busy times. Complain, you are off your sacred day job (DB, traffic, school Cop, Admin.) and back into the rotation. Keep complaining and you screw yourself on the next promotional list that comes out. We just saw that happen, right guys? The childish antics backfired on you. The past Chief of Police, Danny, I mean Vinnie, showed that it can be done with no OT. So it is said, so shall it be. There is no room or mention in the re-developement plans about extra Cops. Now the Firefighters are a different story. Man, are they gonna get a windfall. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to burn.

Guest Guest
SEEING 'STARS'

Harrison OKs MetroStars stadium, centerpiece of redevelopment plans

Friday, July 02, 2004

By Eddie Hollowell

Journal correspondent

SECAUCUS - Plans to build a 25,000-seat, $160 million stadium in Harrison for Major League Soccer's MetroStars have been finalized, planners said yesterday, with hopes of completing construction in time for the 2006 season.

The stadium will serve as the centerpiece of a plan to redevelop the southern part of Harrison along the Passaic River - nearly a third of the town's area - that will include commercial, residential and retail space.

From Our Advertiser

Ground is to be broken between mid-October and mid-November, planners said, pending approval of funding in the form of bonds floated by the Hudson County Improvement Authority.

The stadium would be owned by Harrison and operated by the MetroStars, which would contribute $30 million to the total cost. The HCIA bonds would cover the other $130 million.

The funding plan was approved Wednesday night by the Town Council.

The construction cost includes acquisition and cleanup of a blighted 200-acre parcel where pipes and steel were made since the early 1900s, said Peter Higgins, chairman of the Harrison Redevelopment Agency.

"We were looking for a project that would make Harrison a place to come to, more than just a stop on the PATH, and we have that project," Higgins said.

Harrison expects to pay the debt on the bonds with revenue from the development and a planned 4,000-car garage, Higgins said.

The floating of the bonds must be approved by the HCIA and the Hudson County Board of Freeholders.

In separate interviews yesterday, HCIA Executive Director Norman Guerra and County Executive Tom DeGise said they are awaiting specifics from Harrison, particularly feasibility studies on how much revenue the parking garage will produce.

Stadium income, including tickets and concession sales from games and concerts, would go to the MetroStars, and would allow the team to become profitable for the first time in its nine-year history, including payments to Major League Soccer, said team president and general manager Nick Sakiewicz.

Finalization of the stadium plans comes as a relief to the MetroStars organization, which has been looking of a new home for more than 31/2 years, citing the high cost of playing at their current home at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford.

"We have not been profitable playing at Giants Stadium," said Sakiewicz, who would only say that the cost was "substantially" more than $100,000 per year.

"Harrison loves soccer," said Mayor Raymond McDonough, adding that he envisions the annual Kearny-Harrison game to take place there, as well as the county playoffs and state tournament finals.

The MetroStars' stadium would include 7,000 to 10,000 movable seats, a state-of-the-art natural grass field, about two dozen luxury boxes and would be made available for other events, such as college and high school soccer games and concerts.

According to Sakiewicz, preliminary discussions have begun to include the new stadium as part of the bidding process in the effort to bring the 2012 Olympics to New York City.

"(The stadium) is ideal certainly for preliminary rounds of men's and women's soccer and possibly other events," Sakiewicz said.

In addition to the stadium, the area being developed - currently dubbed the Harrison MetroCentre - will include a wide boulevard with restaurants and shopping, a riverfront park, 420 apartments, 200 lofts, 150,000 square feet of retail space, 150,000 square feet for office space and the parking deck. The privately funded redevelopment areas will cost about $300 million, officials said.

"From day one (the redevelopment plan) has received tremendous local support," said Joe Romano, executive vice president of Advance Realty Group, which was named developer for that portion of Harrison and will be responsible for the residential component of the project.

Sakiewicz said there have been discussions with several companies for naming rights to the new stadium and while no deal has been made he said he is "cautiously optimistic" that one will be reached before the stadium's opening.

The high price of hosting MLS events in stadiums built for larger events such as football is a problem facing many teams.

The soccer-specific stadium in Harrison would be the fifth of its kind in the 10-team league, with new stadiums either recently completed or under construction for the Chicago Fire, Columbus Crew, Dallas Burn and Los Angeles Galaxy.

"These stadiums make sense," Sakiewicz said, noting that the MetroStars expect a $6 to $7 million swing in profits within the first year at the new stadium, putting them in "cash flow positive."

then have the Metrostars pay for their own stadium, not us tax payers. I wish this decision went to vote in Harrison!! Us Harrisonians don't want this stadium.... This mayor takes and does what he wants...... DCA HELP!!!!

Archived