Burn Your Portugal Flags

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Was angered the last few weeks when I saw cars riding through Harrison waving the flag of Potugal in everyone's face. This was while American soldiers were dying in Iraq. I think it's great to show the pride of your culture and nationality and the passion of your sport, but you really should think twice about where you live. I think it's an insult to the US. You are allowed to wave those flags thanks to everyone who has ever made a sacrifice to give you the freedom to wave those flags. I realize not all those unfortunate soldiers who gave the ultimate sacrifice were born in the US. It's OK to show your pride, but maybe you can fly a few US flags along side your flag as well. Don't shove it in my face.

Guest Disabled Vet

Hey asshole, there are portugese soldiers fighting in the war as US soldiers who are doing aa lot more than an asshole like you. Why don't you go fight in Iraq or around the world instead of just shooting off your mouth. GOD BLESS ALL THE SOLDIERS OF EVERY RACE, CREED, AND COLOR FIGHTING FOR FREEDOM.

Guest Soccer Fan

Wait until July 4th, the final. Portugal is in the final and if they win the Portuguese will be celebrating. Waving the Portuguese flag after the Portuguese Team wins in the Euro Cup disrespects no one. It is as disrespectful as proudly wearing a Yankee uniform or tee shirt after the Yankees win the World Series. Waving the Portuguese flag celebrates the pride of fans of the Portuguese team (most of which are Portuguese).

As the last poster correctly pointed out, there are a lot of Portuguese-Americans serving as soldiers in this great country for the freedom of their fellow Portuguese soccer fans to wave the Portuguese flag in celebration of a win. Read the local Portuguese press, and you will see stories about how they died in the service of their country. If they weren't in Iraq protecting your freedom, they would probably be wearing their Portuguese flag with pride down Kearny Avenue. It is a beautiful thing to be able to wear your Yankee uniform when the Yankees win the World Series and its a beautiful thing to be able to wave the Portuguese flag when the Portuguese soccer team wins in the Euro Cup.

God Bless America. God Bless our soldiers. May Portugal Win on Sunday and may God give you the ability to understand that flying an American Flag does not make you patriotic it is what is in your heart that does. Many Portuguese-Americans served in World War II, Vietnam, Korea and now serve in Iraq. If you are so patriotic, volunteer to serve in the Armed Forces as many Portuguese-American have done.

Guest you are a true Harrisonian

Your Payroll come from the mayor, and your family must too. I love America, thats why I'm here, but you, you can shove my beautiful American flag, right where the sun don't shine god bless America, it's VFW's and all, but go PORTUGAL!!!!!!!!, JUST REMEMBER WE BEAT YOU IN THE WORLD CUP!!!!

LUV

Guest Galicia
Was angered the last few weeks when I saw cars riding through Harrison waving the flag of Potugal in everyone's face. This was while American soldiers were dying in Iraq. I think it's great to show the pride of your culture and nationality and the passion of your sport, but you really should think twice about where you live. I think it's an insult to the US. You are allowed to wave those flags thanks to everyone who has ever made a sacrifice to give you the freedom to wave those flags. I realize not all those unfortunate soldiers who gave the ultimate sacrifice were born in the US. It's OK to show your pride, but maybe you can fly a few US flags along side your flag as well. Don't shove it in my face.

you need to get a life you in breed , trailer park loser, we as immigrants respect your flag , which is also ours, so sad you don't know another language but the stupid American Slange you speak..

Guest Guest

Best of luck to the outstanding Greek team. No one predicted they would get this far and they did. Go GREECE and show the portugeese what a real football team is like when the Greeks get their victory this weekend.

Guest Guest

OK.. wrong subject title but was trying to make a point. Disabled Vet... I did point out that not all soldiers were born in the US... Soccer Fan... wrong comparison, hate the yankees, all I asked was why no US flag? I agree with all your statements and again said not everyone protecting my freedom was born in the US. Harrisonian... I am not on the mayor's payroll, town jobs (100-150K) don't pay enough. Galicia...your remarks say alot about you, I was making a statement about wanting to see more US flags in the celebration. I stated it was fine to show your pride and display your flag, just want a US one as well. I did not make any personal attacks on anyone. By the way, I'm not inbred, my trailer park is just fine and I can speak four languages. If anyone wants to reply without making personal attacks please do so. This is a discussion board. Please tell me if I am worng for not wanting to see a few US flags a well.

Guest Flythis

You are right. There should be an American Flag also. This is the USA. Not Portugal or any other country. People need to read about the proper display of the flag. What I saw during the week of national mourning when Ronald Reagan died (yes --there was one) was a disgrace.

Guest Guest

You couldn't be more right! Fly your flag, be proud of your heritage, but be proud of where you are and where the money comes from that feeds you and your family. He/She's right, fly your flag ALONG with the American flag. Have some respect.

Guest Get a life
Wait until July 4th, the final. Portugal is in the final and if they win the Portuguese will be celebrating. Waving the Portuguese flag after the Portuguese Team wins in the Euro Cup disrespects no one. It is as disrespectful as proudly wearing a Yankee uniform or tee shirt after the Yankees win the World Series. Waving the Portuguese flag celebrates the pride of fans of the Portuguese team (most of which are Portuguese).

As the last poster correctly pointed out, there are a lot of Portuguese-Americans serving as soldiers in this great country for the freedom of their fellow Portuguese soccer fans to wave the Portuguese flag in celebration of a win. Read the local Portuguese press, and you will see stories about how they died in the service of their country. If they weren't in Iraq protecting your freedom, they would probably be wearing their Portuguese flag with pride down Kearny Avenue. It is a beautiful thing to be able to wear your Yankee uniform when the Yankees win the World Series and its a beautiful thing to be able to wave the Portuguese flag when the Portuguese soccer team wins in the Euro Cup.

God Bless America. God Bless our soldiers. May Portugal Win on Sunday and may God give you the ability to understand that flying an American Flag does not make you patriotic it is what is in your heart that does. Many Portuguese-Americans served in World War II, Vietnam, Korea and now serve in Iraq. If you are so patriotic, volunteer to serve in the Armed Forces as many Portuguese-American have done.

Greece 1- Portgual 0 enough said, not to many flags flying after that game.

Guest Harrisonian_Guest
OK.. wrong subject title but was trying to make a point. Disabled Vet... I did point out that not all soldiers were born in the US... Soccer Fan... wrong comparison, hate the yankees, all I asked was why no US flag? I agree with all your statements and again said not everyone protecting my freedom was born in the US. Harrisonian... I am not on the mayor's payroll, town jobs (100-150K) don't pay enough. Galicia...your remarks say alot about you, I was making a statement about wanting to see more US flags in the celebration. I stated it was fine to show your pride and display your flag, just want a US one as well. I did not make any personal attacks on anyone. By the way, I'm not inbred, my trailer park is just fine and I can speak four languages. If anyone wants to reply without making personal attacks please do so. This is a discussion board. Please tell me if I am worng for not wanting to see a few US flags a well.

You are absolutely right, the American flag should be displayed as well.

Guest Portuguese-American

You people are typical white trash jerks - bigots who barely speak English and have no understanding of the American history or the Constitution.

The great thing about this country is that there are so many Portuguese-Americans, Greek-Americans, and other hyphenated Americans fighting in Iraq with the US Military and for the freedoms of this country. Believe me - it's not the bigots like these Harrisonians who are fighting for our freedom. In fact, just last month, a Portuguese-American with strong ties to Harrison, Kearny and the Ironbound was killed in Iraq.

So...guess what - even though Portugal lost - all hyphenated Americans have a right to celebrate their ancestry and fly any flag they want proudly.

Maybe, Harrison will now pass an ordinance prohibiting the waiving of any foreign flag within its borders...just remember that the Irish flag is foreign, too.

Guest Guest

Portuguese American... Why are you not just an American with no hyphen. You're another person who cannot openly discuss issues freely on this board without personal attacks. I see you learned the right words, bigot, and white trash. What makes one wanting to see an American flag IN ADDITION to your flag a racist. You have an excellent idea about passing an ordinance about non American flags. I couldn't agree more, even if meant no Irish, German, Polish, Brazilian, Italian or whatever flag. I am saddened by the loss of that American soldier as well as any other soldier or innocent civilian that is killed in Iraq or anyplace where my freedom is being protected. Again, another who missed the point. Fly your flag with pride, just fly an American one as well.

Guest Portuguese-American Too
You people are typical white trash jerks - bigots who barely speak English and have no understanding of the American history or the Constitution. 

The great thing about this country is that there are so many Portuguese-Americans, Greek-Americans, and other hyphenated Americans fighting in Iraq with the US Military and for the freedoms of this country.  Believe me - it's not the bigots like these Harrisonians who are fighting for our freedom.  In fact, just last month, a Portuguese-American with strong ties to Harrison, Kearny and the Ironbound was killed in Iraq.   

So...guess what - even though Portugal lost - all hyphenated Americans have a right to celebrate their ancestry and fly any flag they want proudly. 

Maybe, Harrison will now pass an ordinance prohibiting the waiving of any foreign flag within its borders...just remember that the Irish flag is foreign, too.

Well-said

Guest Guest

Portuguese American Too.... what was well said. The comment about "white trash bigot"? And 'guest' yes we are people of one nation, but which one? If you take a flag count, I wouldn't know. Yes we have our freedom of speech, and flying any flag is a freedom of speech. I started this discussion hoping to get some meaningful insight about if there was any thought about flying the US flag alongside anyone's national heritage flag. I really wanted some insight to the opinion of the "Portuguese Americans" if they really cared or thought about what it meant to fly their flag without an American one. Their responses were typical... they are proud of their flag, Portuguese Americans do so much for this country believe in America but I will not fly an American flag. Anyone opposed to the Portuguese flag is "trailer park", "white trash" and a bigot or racist. Very disappointed in the answers. Let's not forget about why we are here. Opportunity and the greatest country (USA) I know.

Guest Not a Portuguese-American
I started this discussion hoping to get some meaningful insight about if there was any thought about flying the US flag alongside anyone's national heritage flag. .

Who are you kidding? The topic you entered was "Burn Your Portugal Flags". Your intent was to rile people up.

Flying a flag (American or otherwise) does not make you any more or less patriotic than the next person. How may people fly a flag and don't vote? How many people fly a flag and couldn't name you half of the rights included in the Bill of Rights? The flags were flying during a soccer tournament that the US was not even a part of. Would you fly a Jets flag during the World Series? There was no reason to fly an American flag as well.

Grow up and worry about the important things...like which way you'll vote in November.

Guest Guest

"There was no reason to fly an American flag as well."

How could you say that. There is always a reason to fly an American flag, how about because you're in America! How about because we are at war! How about because you support your country! Do I have to go on? Shame on you!

Guest Portuguese American 2
I started this discussion hoping to get some meaningful insight about if there was any thought about flying the US flag alongside anyone's national heritage flag. .

Who are you kidding? The topic you entered was "Burn Your Portugal Flags". Your intent was to rile people up.

Flying a flag (American or otherwise) does not make you any more or less patriotic than the next person. How may people fly a flag and don't vote? How many people fly a flag and couldn't name you half of the rights included in the Bill of Rights? The flags were flying during a soccer tournament that the US was not even a part of. Would you fly a Jets flag during the World Series? There was no reason to fly an American flag as well.

Grow up and worry about the important things...like which way you'll vote in November.

Well-said

Guest Guest
"There was no reason to fly an American flag as well."

How could you say that. There is always a reason to fly an American flag, how about because you're in America! How about because we are at war! How about because you support your country! Do I have to go on? Shame on you!

Way to take that coment out of context! The premise of this topic it that the American flag should have been flown in conjunction with the Portugal flag when people were celebrating a victory in a soccer game. I stand by what I said, in the context it was meant, and I feel no shame about it. Stop being so reactionay. You have no idea how I support my country, so don't judge.

Guest NO FISH HERE

THE IRISH FLAG IS FLOWN ONE DAY AND TO REPRESENT ST PATRICK. NOT FOR SOME STUPID GAME THAT FRANKLY JUST SHOWS AND PROMOTES VIOLENCE.

YOUR FLAG WAVING METHODS HAVE GROWN OLD AND SORRY JUST LIKE A FEW OF YOUS. WON'T BECOME CITIZENS BUT WILL RAPE THIS COUNTRY TO TAKE BACK HOME AND DECLARE YOURSELVES RICH.

Guest GO FISH ELSEWHERE

dukie dearest you might want to take a ride up and down belgrove drive in kearny where you chops display their so called pride! not one usa flag hangs along side, you might want to change your status! (IT'S THE SAME STORY IN HARRISON) SHOW YOU CHOP RAPING FLAG AND @ THE IRONBOUND SECTION WHERE THE SARDINES SMELL RULES ! ALSO KEEP YOUR SPAWN OF SADINES OUT OF THE BERGEN MALL! ENCIRCLE THEM FROM FERRY ST TILL SOUTH ST. GO MATE THERE, WE DON'T NEED YA! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Archived