Trees By Library

Guest CHESTNUT ST RESIDENT

Guest CHESTNUT ST RESIDENT

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHY THE TOWN TOOK DOWN THOSE BEAUTIFUL TREES BY THE LIBRARY? IT MAKES THAT STREET LOOK LIKE A COMMERCIAL STREET. NO SHADE AND IT LOOKS VERY TACKY. :D

Guest Guest

I'M SURE YOU'LL GET SOME LAME EXCUSE FROM THE TOWN! WHAT, TRIMMING THEM WAS OUT OF THE QUESTION?? I REALIZE THERE ARE ALOT OF STRAY CATS ON THAT SIDE OF THE LIBRARY, BUT THOSE TREES WERE BEAUTIFUL! SO WHAT DOES THE TOWN HAVE IN MIND TO PUT ALONG THAT STREET.......LET ME GUESS, MORE OF THE ""PLANTERS" THAT ARE ALONG THE AVENUE? OR SHOULD I CALL THEM SEATS FOR THE GANGS OF KIDS THAT HANG OUT UP THERE?

Guest StudiesandObservations
I'M SURE YOU'LL GET SOME LAME EXCUSE FROM THE TOWN! WHAT, TRIMMING THEM WAS OUT OF THE QUESTION?? I REALIZE THERE ARE ALOT OF STRAY CATS ON THAT SIDE OF THE LIBRARY, BUT THOSE TREES WERE BEAUTIFUL! SO WHAT DOES THE TOWN HAVE IN MIND TO PUT ALONG THAT STREET.......LET ME GUESS, MORE OF THE ""PLANTERS" THAT ARE ALONG THE AVENUE? OR SHOULD I CALL THEM SEATS FOR THE GANGS OF KIDS THAT HANG OUT UP THERE?

Try going over and looking at the stumps. the 2 I saw up close had HUGE holes right through the center from either Carpenter Ants or Termites..whichseems to be a problem more and more with our older Oak tres in town. There isnt much you can do for a tree that has no internal structure left. In fact, I cant recall the last time I.ve seen a tree in town that DIDNT have some amount of insect damage in it's heartwood which only really showed after it was felled.

Guest Guest

Who makes the decision to cut down trees in town? An awful lot seem to be disappearing recently. Is it one person from the DPW or can anyone call their favorite elected official and have a tree cut? I thought we had people watching out for our trees. Hmmmmm....

Guest IKNOW

You are correct in your observation. There were large cavities in each tree and the crown of two of the trees were substantially gone. The trees were inspected by a NJ Certified Tree Expert who gave the opinion that due to the internal rot, the trees were in decline and constituted a danger that could only be abated by their removal. Replacement trees will be planted in the next planting cycle.

Guest treehugger
You are correct in your observation. There were large cavities in each tree and the crown of two of the trees were substantially gone. The trees were inspected by a NJ Certified Tree Expert who gave the opinion that due to the internal rot, the trees were in decline and constituted a danger that could only be abated by their removal. Replacement trees will be planted in the next planting cycle.

The conditions that you claim exists can be said for all trees over 50yrs. The trees were not DEAD. All trees "decline" after they reach maturity. Did town employees cut them down or were they cut down by a "private" contractor. Who was the "NJ Certified Tree Expert"? I don't remember seeing this job posted for bid!! How can I become a "NJ Certified Tree Expert" ?

Guest StudiesandObservations
The conditions that you claim exists can be said for all trees over 50yrs. The trees were not DEAD. All trees "decline" after they reach maturity. Did town employees cut them down or were they cut down by a "private" contractor. Who was the "NJ Certified Tree Expert"? I don't remember seeing this job posted for bid!! How can I become a "NJ Certified Tree Expert" ?

Yes, Trees Decline after they reach maturity, and Yes, these trees were still Alive. That said however, Considering the amoutn of heartwood that was eaten away, at the bases of the trees, and also considering the number of large, mature trees that have toppled in some of the nasty storms we've had over the last year or two, this is probably a prophylactic measure to try and minimize the damage. As much as I take issue with the towm on some of its policies, they are pretty good about replacing trees that have been taken down. I can think of at LEAST three houses, and one car that sustained serious damage from falling trees...IMO the Town is just being prudent, and for once, addressing a situation before it becomes a problem, instead of after it's too late.

Archived