Mr. Mayor

Guest State of Grace

Guest State of Grace

Mr. Mayor,

It has come to the attention of many people that you just don't have a clue. Oh, and that you could really care less about the welfare of this town. Not only do you NOT know what you are doing, you don't know what anyone else is doing either. The incompetence that stems from your office down to the impropriety of *** ***** *** ** ******* *** ******* ******* ***** **** *** *****in the town hall is truly one of the most amazing things I have ever witnessed. Are you aware that it is your DUTY ,sir, to report him to *** ****** ******** ********** *******? You know what I am talking about..........I don't really believe it's a big stretch for you to play dumb, but in this case, even you, sir, are not that dumb. Oh, I see, he's a friend of your's, isn't that right?

You were given the ability to make changes in this town. We, the people, put our trust in you. We trusted that you would make wise and positive decisions for the good of all. You, Mr. Mayor, have violated that trust. I'd ask for you to step down, but I think that you couldn't possibly get any further down than you already are. Your empire is crumbling. Everyday I will be picking a new topic, which you of course will not address but I am going to put it out there anyway, Mr. Mayor. There is strength in numbers. Riddle me this: Can you count that high, Sir?

Sincerely,

Grace

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

Guest Guest

Who are you Grace and what is your expertise? What is your solution to the Town's problems? Why don't you run for Mayor? Please tell us your vision for the future.

Guest GRACE in the race?

Dear Guest,

In response to your recent post, I dabble in a little bit of this and a little bit of that. I mostly just sit back and listen, to what people have to say and what they're most concerned with. Some things just come down to common sense. I don't believe that is something that can be learned, one either has it or they don't. Any one can learn how to be a plumber or an electrician or an attorney, etc. Not everyone can be taught how to give and care about others or to listen. I don't believe I ever claimed that I had a solution. I have no magic wand to make everything better. I do, however, think that I have some ideas as to what is NOT part of the solution. Pretending everything is fine when it CLEARLY is not, does not work. Being more concerned about building a stadium than a school, isn't going to fly. Condemning someone's property under the pretense that it's going to improve the community, I don't see the solution in that either. Not allowing someone to speak at a town meeting about something they are concerned with because it needs to be censored first, not only is that NOT the solution, that's violating someone's first ammendment rights. Making statements that are outright lies, because that's what you think people want to hear is insulting. Going ahead with plans to build a middle school?? How about the plans to build the High School? Where in the world is everyone going to fit? Our elementary school couldn't fit another body in it if you used crisco on them and tried to slide them in. When exactly are the renovations going to start on that? I'm not stupid, I realize that some things certain people don't have any control over, but, if these people can run to the state for more money and more aid, why can't they run to the state and find out where in the world our trailers are for the school? When did the re-development of a building or two become more important that the development of a child? When did building a stadium for a soccer team become more important than building a stadium for our town's football teams? We have people making so much money representing different boards and agencies and committess........how about paying someone to help out in the residency office in this town? I certainly am not saying that people should not make money, absolutely they should. How about giving some back though? Believe me, when you give whole heartedly and unselfishly without expecting anything in return, the reward is so abundant, it's something even beyond your wildest dreams. Obviously, I can keep going on about what's wrong but tomorrow I'm going to write a post on all the things that are going right. I think that there are alot of wonderful things in this town and it's people. So, stay tuned.

Sincerely,

Grace

Guest the place for GRACE

I LOVE this town. I love this beautiful, crazy, funny little town. Rest assured, as I sit here typing this, there is no place quite like this place. It's unique. It's my home. It's not perfect, but neither am I. There is no place I'd rather be. It's taken me a while to figure that out. This town is a family. There are some in-laws and some out-laws, some we've given birth to, some we've adopted and some we would like to give away. We have prodigal sons and daughters and some who will never leave, but it's a family none the less. When one is sick or down and out, the others all rally around. Isn't that what family does? Can you grasp just how incredible that is? Does anyone realize that in this one little square mile of a town, there is miles and miles of history? We have families that have been here since the beginning and families that have just arrived. We are such a diverse group. Why be divided, when united we can accomplish so much more? We have so much to be thankful for. Who else is thankful for Moose? He's still out there looking out for our kids. It's something that seems so simple, but so solid. How about Dr. Siwick? Can you get anymore solid than that? Let's start putting more of an effort into building up people and tearing down egos. I guess my vision for the future is based on what I've seen in the past. I don't know about anyone else but I've seen some really great manhunt games that have gone on forever, and I see kids now that have never even heard of it. I've met some truly amazing people and some I wish I'd never laid eyes on. The amazing ones will be with me forever. I've been educated in this town. Through books AND hard knocks. I enjoyed the books much more, yet I wouldn't trade the hard knocks for anything. I've met teachers who cared so much and a few who couldn't care less. The ones who cared had a much more profound impact on my life. I met my wonderful spouse in this town and I saw my parents get divorced in this town. Some ups, some downs. Let me ask you, if we don't experience any of the bad.........how do we know what's really good?

Believe me. This is still a really GREAT place to.............be.

Guest Garbage

They didn't pick up the garbage on Monday. Mayor you privatized the collection of garbage at the cost of the town and your advantage. Your doing the same with everything. GET OUT OF OFFICE ALREADY

Guest good GRACE

Mr. Mayor,

I was a little sentimental yesterday, so I gave you a reprieve, and let yesterday's topic go. So, here is today's topic: Redevelopment agency's and housing authority's educational requirements. The new local redevelopment and housing law clearly states: Educational requirements are imposed upon the members and executive directors of local housing authorities and municipal redevelopment agencies. When were those educational requirements met by both agencies and where? Isn't it true Mr. Mayor that some of these "educational requirements" are met while everyone is partying at the "conventions" that are attended by the members of these agencies? By the way, while we're on the subject, who pays for these "conventions"? Do YOU know?................Psssssssst: It's not you.

Guest Guest

Grace:

You have truly captured the essence of what was and still is the great thing about Harrison . There are many good people here and in times of crisis people will always help out their neighbors. The police and firemen honestly do care about the citizens of Harrison regardless if they live here or not. Most of the posts written about these two departments are vicious and ignorant. It is obvious that your posts are well thought out, (grammatically correct, thanks for that) and you are a person in the know. You should consider running for office, maybe ask Moose to run with you.

Guest GRACEious
Grace:

You have truly captured the essence of what was and still is the great thing about Harrison . There are many good people here and in times of crisis people will always help out their neighbors. The police and firemen honestly do care about the citizens of Harrison regardless if they live here or not. Most of the posts written about these two departments are vicious and ignorant. It is obvious that your posts are well thought out, (grammatically correct, thanks for that) and you are a person in the know.  You should consider running for office, maybe ask Moose to run with you.

Dear Mr. Guest,

You were doing so well. I don't believe I mentioned the police or fire departments of this town. Seeing as how you would like to get into that. I will. Let's start with the fire department today. Why do we have so many paid firemen in this town? Do YOU know? I would like to head down the shore for a moment (that seems to be a popular place). I am going to use Dover Township for an example. Dover Township, commonly referred to as Toms River, is approximately 42 square miles and has a population of just under 100,000 people, that number is nearly doubled in the summer. Sounds so much like our little Harrison, doesn't it? Well, the fire department which services Dover Township is strictly VOLUNTEER. It is has 6 VOLUNTEER companies and is staffed by approximately 350 VOLUNTEERS. Do you see where I'm going with this? Here's an idea: what if we just made the department a VOLUNTEER one.............o.k...........I see that's not gonna happen........how about if we make it 1/2 paid, 1/2 voluntary and house everybody in one fire house? And then we can REDEVELOP the firehouse on Cleveland and use it as part of the police department. I think I'm onto something here. What do YOU think?

Never enter into a battle of wits, unarmed.

GRACE

Guest Guest

That will never, ever happen because too much nepotism and favors were given and repaid thru these no work, $90,000.00 a year so- called firemen. Have they even put out one fire this year? Has there been one? With every bed filled at all times with overtime irregardless of the taxes, why does Kearny and Jersey City have to be called even if someone lights a garbage can on fire? Cowards with little or no skills I say. What ever happened to the idea of drug testing the fireman. The parties at the clubhouse (firehouse) must be raging all the time because not one of the cowards will submit to a drug test and the politicians in Harrison are afraid of them. Why? What are they holding over their heads that they have so much power and make the rules instead of the town council? How many firemen have to be arrested for drugs before they are tested? If it is a percentage, I'll bet that the HFD is way on top of the list in NJ the past couple of years. But need not worry, they are there if you need them! What a joke, and a VERY EXPENSIVE one to the taxpayers of Harrison.

Guest guest_Guest

People in Harrison have always been jealous of other people in Harrison with cop,fire, pvsc, and town jobs UNTIL themselves or a family member receives one of these jobs.

That is a known fact.

Grace does have alot of valid points, but takes him/herself a bit to seriously no?

There is no wall holding you people in, why not get on with your life and move if you don't like it there? It is not the center of the universe. My guess is you are waiting for one of the above mentioned jobs...

Guest Guest
People in Harrison have always been jealous of other people in Harrison with cop,fire, pvsc, and town jobs UNTIL themselves or a family member receives one of these jobs.

That is a known fact.

Grace does have alot of valid points, but takes him/herself a bit to seriously no?

There is no wall holding you people in, why not get on with your life and move if you don't like it there? It is not the center of the universe. My guess is you are waiting for one of the above mentioned jobs...

My guess is you already have one of the above mentioned jobs.

And as far as GRACE taking him/her self too seriously, the post submitted under that name are usually quite humorous.

Guest such is GRACE

Well, first off, it would be herself. I know, go figure someone with breasts having valid points ;) Most importantly, however, is just how serious I am. I think education IS serious. I think that lining your pockets with money instead of lining shelves with books IS serious. I think that handing out jobs to your friends instead of handing out food to families who need it IS serious. I think that raising our property taxes and yet our school budget has stayed the same IS serious. I think that people complaining about how much a teacher makes and yet have no problem with someone sitting around and milking this town for 150 grand a year seems pretty serious to me. Having a committe for everything from redevelopment down to who's going to be serving the weinies at the Mayor's gala event and not having a committee where our children are concerned IS not only serious, it's going to be detrimental. As a matter of fact, I think it's about time that someone get serious. Don't YOU? I don't really care who's sleeping with whom, that information doesn't provide the kids of this town with activities during the summer. Some people might find that entertaining, I don't. In any event, what does it change? Does it stop that stadium from being built? Does it start the construction on the High School? Or the renovations on the elementary school? Action is just intelligence being put to use. My question is: When will we as a community start taking ACTION?

Guest year 2000

2000:

Mayor McDonough Acknowledges 4 Million Dollar Budget Deficit

Mayoral candidate Michael Libonati at the Town Council meeting asked Harrison Mayor Raymond McDonough whether the Town was facing a 4 Million Dollar Deficit this year and Mayor McDonough confirmed the Deficit asking Treasurer Beth Higgins to provide an explanation. Treasurer Beth Higgins stated that there was a 4 Million Dollar deficit and that the deficit may even be higher. Unconfirmed reports have put the deficit as high as 6 million dollars. According to sources, a 4 Million dollar deficit would mean that an house valued at $288,000 there would be an additional $2,860 tax bill on top of the current taxes assessed against the house. Several mortgage companies have already incorporated the expected tax increase into their escrow accounts.

The Town of Harrison only sent out estimated tax bills and have not adopted their budget for this year. It is expected that the actual tax bills will be mailed after the General Election on November 7, 2000. Mayoral Candidate Michael Libonati stated that he thought that the delay in adoption of the budget and the mailing of actual tax bills was a deliberate action on the Mayor's part to avoid a taxpayer revolt prior to the election. Mayor McDonough asked why Mr. Libonati had not attended previous town meetings to which the mayoral candidate stated that he was too busy working to pay his taxes to attend every council meeting.

Pictured above is a Picture of the Parking Lot for the Harrison High School, located on the corner of Harrison Avenue and Sixth Street.

General Election Day is Tuesday, November 7, 2000.

Guest Guest

Sorry your guess is wrong..... I have too much pride and intelligence to ever kiss anyones *** for a job

Grace- Yes ALL of those things are serious, like I have said before YOU should run for mayor or at least a council position. Why not? Do you go to town meetings? Do you speak to the councilman/woman in your ward? You seem like a person who could make your voice heard.

ps of coarse you are a woman

Guest beneficent GRACE
Grace- Yes ALL of those things are serious, like I have said before YOU should run for mayor or at least a council position. Why not? Do you go to town meetings? Do you speak to the councilman/woman in your ward? You seem like a person who could make your voice heard.

Are you referring to the gatherings that take place on the first Tuesday of the month? Is that what they're calling them? Meetings? Well, they are certainly not like any meetings I've ever attended. Have you ever heard of the "Open Public Meeting Law? I believe it's posted under the topic "Harrison Town Meeting" here's an excerpt:

The public body may exclude the public only from portions of a meeting known as the "executive" or "closed session." Prior to excluding the public, the public body must first adopt a resolution at a meeting which is open to the public indicating generally what matters will be discussed in closed session and when these discussions will be disclosed to the public.

There's more of course, people should look it up. What the above quote is telling us is that they aren't supposed to be having a meeting prior to the general meeting, not without making it known. Do I speak to my councilmen? Of course I do. As a matter of fact, I speak to all of them.........It doesn't really get me anywhere........just like everybody else who speaks to them. It really means nothing. The concerns I, and others like me have don't really concern them. Do you know why??? It's not going to make them any money. I think it's time to start fresh. Let's get people in there who CARE and who don't OWE anybody a job or a favor. There has to be at least 9 fairly intelligent people in this town who do NOT work for the town or down at the "valley". Who are willing to give 110%, NOT just take it. Who want to put our children, NOT their wallets, first. Please tell me that somewhere in this great little town of ours that there are 9 dedicated souls, who are willing to do the right thing and that have even a drop of common sense (that's exactly one drop more than most of the people that are sitting in office right now). I know I'm willing. How about YOU, guest?

Guest guest_Guest

Grace.... I agree with all your points. No new High School because lot has "HOT SPOTS" ..... so Lincoln has kids using lunchrooms as classrooms.....26 kids in 1st grade classes .....8 kindergarted classes...... and NOT ONE COUNCIL MEMBER OR THE MAYOR cares because they either have no kids or kids are tooooooo old. Parents in Harrison stand up for your childrens rights!!!!!!!!!

Guest Guest

That is a known fact.

Why should we have to move if we like it here?! Politics are the same no matter where you go, the people on this site are just trying to make the place they live in a little easier to be at. I don't want to leave, but I would like to see some of the above topics tended to. Maybe it'll happen and maybe it won't, but opinions are like *%@$# everyone has one, even you and you and you. No one is right and no one is wrong, none the less we all live and this town and have to live together as a "family" so let's not attack each other because we like to see the silver lining once in a while.

Guest Gracefully declining

Sorry Grace, but I do not live in Harrison. If I did, I still would not waste my precious time and energy on trying to change what will NEVER change in Harrison. If by some miracle the slate is cleared, the new council would most likely be exactly the same.Sorry to say it folks, but the party is over, time to move on to bigger and better places....

• 2 months later...
That will never, ever happen because too much nepotism and favors were given and repaid thru these no work, $90,000.00 a year so- called firemen. Have they even put out one fire this year? Has there been one? With every bed filled at all times with overtime irregardless of the taxes, why does Kearny and Jersey City have to be called even if someone lights a garbage can on fire? Cowards with little or no skills I say. What ever happened to the idea of drug testing the fireman. The parties at the clubhouse (firehouse) must be raging all the time because not one of the cowards will submit to a drug test and the politicians in Harrison are afraid of them. Why? What are they holding over their heads that they have so much power and make the rules instead of the town council? How many firemen have to be arrested for drugs before they are tested? If it is a percentage, I'll bet that the HFD is way on top of the list in NJ the past couple of years. But need not worry, they are there if you need them! What a joke, and a VERY EXPENSIVE one to the taxpayers of Harrison.

actually theres been 2 just this year

Archived