Community Center

Guest Kearny Woman

Guest Kearny Woman

Just a observation, I live in the second ward; My Council Woman is wonderful, but how come there is not one thing that I know of for the children or seniors in this part of town. As far as I can see there is not.

My thought is why don't we as a community pull together and bring something here that will benefit everyone. I am sure we can come up with enough volunteers to help, and we can probably get the same people to help build what we need.

I know space is problem, but I am sure we can find something and have a schedule for all the activities that will go on.

Any ideas please respond.

Just a observation, I live in the second ward; My Council Woman is wonderful, but how come there is not one thing that I know of for the children or seniors in this part of town.  As far as I can see there is not. 

My thought is why don't we as a community pull together and bring something here that will benefit everyone.  I am sure we can come up with enough volunteers to help, and we can probably get the same people to help build what we need.

I know space is problem, but I am sure we can find something and have a schedule for all the activities that will go on.

If your Councilwoman is so wonderful why don't you ask her. Ask her what happened to the Community Center Pete C. was working on. Ask her what happened to the money Ralph C. raised for a Community Center. Instead of coming here put your wonderful Councilwoman to work.

Just a observation, I live in the second ward; My Council Woman is wonderful, but how come there is not one thing that I know of for the children or seniors in this part of town.  As far as I can see there is not. 

My thought is why don't we as a community pull together and bring something here that will benefit everyone.  I am sure we can come up with enough volunteers to help, and we can probably get the same people to help build what we need.

Community center was in the oval in the 80's it was a empty building with the moon painted on it never got windows or anything then it was torn down. Town kids used it to drink-get high & have sex in IT WAS GREAT!!!!!!

If your Councilwoman is so wonderful why don't you ask her. Ask her what happened to the Community Center Pete C. was working on. Ask her what happened to the money Ralph C. raised for a Community Center. Instead of coming here put your wonderful Councilwoman to work.

Great Point.... Why can't Kearny be like Harrison, they have a big beautiful Community ctr. that is used for many events. That is the one thing the residents of Harrison have that Kearny doesn't.

I believe this poster was very correct... what happened to the money that was raised for this pupose? Don't ask your councilperson, go to the next council meeting and as taxpayers ask the board, that includes the Mayor... They let all these ethnic groups in town, and cater to them but our kids and seniors have nothing...

Guest Studies
Community center was in the oval in the 80's it was a empty building with the moon painted on it never got windows or anything then it was torn down. Town kids used it to drink-get high & have sex in IT WAS GREAT!!!!!!

No, you are 100% Wrong. The building in the Oval was the Kearny Space Center, which was built in the late 70's by local contractors through donations to the High School Space Club. Unfortunately money and interest ran out before the building was completed. While there was talk of turning the building into some kind of community center, it was discovered that the long neglect had weakend the basic structure, which was evidenced by it's collapse, in the late 80's.

:angry:

:angry: IDIOTS, PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND!!!!!!

CRAWL BACK UNDER YOUR ROCK!!! YOU DO NOT MATTER!!!

:angry: Maybe I am wrong, but isn't this what this forum is for? To voice your opinion or maybe ask for help with a problem in our community? Calm down, I was just asking a question. No need to be all upset. It was just a question.

If it will make you feel better I will call her and ask those most important questions. I just wanted to know because I am fairly new here.

If you are referring to the building that was located in the southwest corner of the oval, then you are incorrect. The building you are referring to was intended to be a science (space) center and was being built with the help of the students who were apart of Mr. O Hara's science (space) club. The students started on the foundation in the later part of the 70's. I believe that lack of interest, volunteers, planning, and funding killed the project, leaving the building incomplete and empty for years. I believe that somewhere along the way someone suggested that the building be used as a community center but sadly those suggestions amounted to nothing more than talk.

If you are referring to the building that was located in the southwest corner of the oval, then you are incorrect about its original purpose.The building you are referring to was intended to be a science (space) center and was being built with the help of the students who were apart of Mr. O Hara's science (space) club. The students started on the foundation in the later part of the 70's. I believe that lack of interest, volunteers, planning, and funding killed the project, leaving the building incomplete and empty for years. I believe that somewhere along the way someone suggested that the building be used as a community center but sadly those suggestions amounted to nothing more than talk.

No, you are 100% Wrong.  The building in the Oval was the Kearny Space Center, which was built in the late 70's by local contractors through donations to the High School Space Club.  Unfortunately money and interest ran out before the building was completed.  While there was talk of turning the building into some kind of community center, it was discovered that the long neglect had weakend the basic structure, which was evidenced by it's collapse, in the late 80's.

Oops. I posted my reply to fast. didn't see that you had already addressed this........

So, why didn't anyone go off on this person for this post, yet I got all kinds of flak for my far-less-inflammatory reply to the Hoyt St (iirc) death topic? The bias is incredibly obvious, and it's disgusting.

Guest Forgetful Lucy
So, why didn't anyone go off on this person for this post, yet I got all kinds of flak for my far-less-inflammatory reply to the Hoyt St (iirc) death topic? The bias is incredibly obvious, and it's disgusting.

Maybe because you come off as a teensy bit pretentious sometimes, and a lot of anonymous people (or just one or two) just don't seem to like you very much. :ninja: Slightly off topic, Mr. Strife.

As, to the matter at hand, from what I've seen most of the local elders seem to make their own activity by loitering in local eateries at a set hour intervals in droves. :ninja: Likewise the youths seem to spend their time either on corners or simply wandering about the avenues. Setting up a community center would be a nice alternative for wholesome activity - but without getting enough support from the community it'll fall through. That'll be the case whether or not you nag the councilwoman.

Personally, I'm for it.

Guest Jimbojones

Why not use the under utilized Henreitta Bernstead Senior center as a community center, I believe that Bernstead was originally supposed to be a community center,not just a Senior center! Or so I was told.

Guest bik49ypik@yahoo.com

Wow ! Strife after you made an accusation that my dead mother is a whore is now you are saying certain replys are discusting?

You should be ashamed of yourself as we all are of you.

Why not use the under utilized Henreitta Bernstead Senior center as a community center, I believe that Bernstead was originally supposed to be a community center,not just a Senior center! Or so I was told.

This buliding is never used on weekends or most nights! Why can't it be used? Ask the lawyer who wrote up the lease between the town and the senior citzens who lease the place! What a waste!!

Maybe because you come off as a teensy bit pretentious sometimes, and a lot of anonymous people (or just one or two) just don't seem to like you very much.  :P  Slightly off topic, Mr. Strife.

I know it's not on-topic, but I think it was worth pointing out. I'm sure my enthusiastic support for Matthew is the reason most of the inflammatory stuff about me is written--they don't like what I say, so they attack me, up to and including creating lies about me and topics created just to level insults at me. I was just pointing out the contrast in this topic (I would have to argue that in this topic the 'backlash' was 'meaner' than my response in the other topic) to punctuate that double standard.