Who's Running?

Guest Question

Guest Guest

I would guess that Santos will have them all back in their seats. they are all good council people. All wards are lucky to have their respective Councilperson.

Guest Guest
I would guess that Santos will have them all back in their seats. they are all good council people. All wards are lucky to have their respective Councilperson.

Nah, my guess is that there will be primaries in the 3rd and 4th, if Santos finds candidates.

Guest Guest

Nah, my guess is that there will be primaries in the 3rd and 4th, if Santos finds candidates.

I agree. There can be no difference of opinion or dissention in the kingdom.

Guest Guest

If he gets rid of 3rd and 4th, he will have the whole slate. What a kingdom. Shame no one in kearny has what it takes to step up to the plate.

Guest 1st Ward Res

Torrez has my Vote, he is the best thing that ever happened to our ward, we finally have someone who speaks out for us. NOT, haha. I would take Bozo the Clown over that guy.

But I bet he gets his seat back because no one will get up to the plate in this town. If I were 20 years younger, I would go after it myself.

Guest yeahright
Torrez has my Vote, he is the best thing that ever happened to our ward, we finally have someone who speaks out for us. NOT, haha. I would take Bozo the Clown over that guy.

But I bet he gets his seat back because no one will get up to the plate in this town. If I were 20 years younger, I would go after it myself.

Don't run!! Anyone who would put forth such a lame excuse shouldn't be taken serious. It must take more than just time to gain wisdom.

Guest Guest

Any word on Petitions going around? I think either today or Wednesday is the deadline to file to run. Did anyone have the Ba**s to take on the king, or are we stuck with his band of incompetents.

Guest Guest

I think we are stuck with his band of incompetents. Mangin is our only voice, and only hope. I don't know who Santos has up against him yet, but I hope they don't take out Mangin he is a good guy with a set of brass ba**s. Once again another Santos Primary. Things just never seem to change around here.

Guest Enough all ready
I think we are stuck with his band of incompetents.

If their so incompetant why are they on the council and your not? Stop crying and be constuctive in your criticism of those elected by the people. I grow tired of your moaning. Get new material, Please! :)

Guest Guest

The Jersey Journal

Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Kearny's mayor, HCDO mend rift

By Nancy Benecki

Journal staff writer

KEARNY - What a difference a year makes. This time last year, Kearny Mayor Al Santos lost the backing of the county's Democrats because he was brash enough to contemplate a run for the state Senate seat in the 32nd District against incumbent Nicholas Sacco, also the mayor of North Bergen - in last June's primary.

Despite threats that he would lose the party's backing, Santos submitted his petition to run for Senate. Sure enough, the Hudson County Democratic Organization quickly announced it would not support him as the party's candidate for the mayoral primary, also held that June. Instead, the party opted to back his local political rival, Third Ward Councilman James Mangin, for the mayor's seat, as well as a rival slate of council members.

Santos pulled out of the Senate race only days after submitting his petitions to focus on the mayoral race. His slate, which ran on line E in the primary, handily defeated the Mangin slate by nearly a 2-1 margin and went on to win in the November general election.

Now, as Santos enjoys his third term as Kearny's mayor, he's announced the slate of council candidates he will endorse for this year's primary, but the tide has definitely turned. Not only will the HCDO put his candidates on its line - but Mangin, the incumbent for the Third Ward council seat, is not on that list.

"This year, the county leaders have agreed that those candidates, both council and county committee that have the endorsement of the local party - including myself and the rest of the executive board of the Kearny party - will receive the endorsement of the county party," Santos said. "I think that is the right action. It respects the decisions made by voters and the Democratic County Committee members, who are the party."

Running in the First Ward on the Santos-endorsed ticket is incumbent Jose Torres. Incumbent Laura Cifelli-Pettigrew is running in the Second Ward. The Third and Fourth ward races feature newcomers Eileen Eckel and Susan McCurrie, respectively. Each term is for two years. The ballot will also feature 60 candidates for county committee.

Mangin is running for re-election for his seat as an independent candidate. James Morejon filed a petition in the First Ward as an independent as well.

Incumbent Fourth Ward Councilman Michael Kelly did not file a petition. No Republican candidates filed petitions for any of the seats.

"I had disagreements with several county officials last year under the purview of exercising party discipline, and not only was I removed from the county line, I was placed on line E of the ballot," Santos said.

"The candidate against me was recruited, endorsed and funded by the county organization, and I objected strongly to that. Not only was I the sitting mayor, I was also the sitting municipal party chairperson who was selected by the county committee members of the town by consensus, unanimously."

County Executive Thomas DeGise said he was glad that relations between Kearny and the county had been mended. While he wouldn't go into detail about the rift that occurred, DeGise said he's looking forward to working with Santos to improve governmental services across the county.

"I'm not going to say (Santos) was ever in bad graces," DeGise said. "It was a political estrangement for a bit, but (the HCDO) is a party of inclusion. Kearny is a part of the county. Even when there were some difficulties, Al and I always had a good working relationship."

Mended fences between the HCDO and Kearny means the town's best interests will be considered in county politics and county government, according to the mayor.

"I think it's a very good sign that the county organization is being respectful of the decision made by Kearny voters," Santos said. "They realize if they want a good relationship with the town of Kearny, they can't be fighting against the leaders selected by the residents."

Come on and get with it guys. With the large population of spanish and port. anyone Santos backs will win. So stop telling people who complain to run. Hopefully Mangin will win to keep some kind of eye on things. Also between the Minority vote and the old time democrats(JF Kennedy irish and such) a Republican doesn't stand a chance anymore. At least in the past Republicans had a chance but minorities vote Democratic 90% of the time(it is fact) don't argue and with such a large number of people of Spanish And Portugese ancestry moving into town Republican's might as well fold up just like the rest of beautiful Hudson County. face it there is more minorities per mile in Hudson County than in the countries they originally come from.

Guest Guest

You're right different times different people. Kearny is now like the rest of Hudson County population wise. The majority of the hold outs live in the 3rd Ward. By the time he's finished, Santos will fill all the council seats with women. Did anyone ever wonder about this,,hmmmm, guess he gets along better with the gals. LOL

Guest Guest
Come on and get with it guys. With the large population of spanish and port. anyone Santos backs will win. So stop telling people who complain to run. Hopefully Mangin will win to keep some kind of eye on things. Also between the Minority vote and the old time democrats(JF Kennedy irish and such) a Republican doesn't stand a chance anymore. At least in the past Republicans had a chance but minorities vote Democratic 90% of the time(it is fact) don't argue and with such a large number of people of Spanish And Portugese ancestry moving into town Republican's might as well fold up just like the rest of beautiful Hudson County. face it there is more minorities per mile in Hudson County than in the countries they originally come from.

Hal, you're a Mangin supporter? Didn't he run against you?

Guest 2nd Ward Res
"Come on and get with it guys. With the large population of spanish and port. anyone Santos backs will win. So stop telling people who complain to run. Hopefully Mangin will win to keep some kind of eye on things."

"The First Ward race is interesting in that we have a well connected incumbent who, on the surface, doesn't appear to be very active but has the party support, running against a new face. It will all come down to monies spent.""

Santos has two wards to protect, acording to Tuesdays Jersey Journal. I agree with the changes in community in town, but I can't see Santos pulling off the first ward very easily or at least without a fight. The current councilman is unknown to most in his ward. I don't know much about the guy running against him other than that he speaks Spanish and Portuguese. That could play a part if he touches the community, of the forgotten ward.

As far as Mangin and the guy in the first ward, this isn’t a Santos race. Last year his entire slate got in because people just clicked right down the line. I think this will be more of a personality race, and I hope Mangin and the new guy will pull it off. This community needs a voice from those who stand up against his majesty.

Guest Guest

Well said, besides there should always be some individuality and difference of opinion on the council, it keeps everyone honest; it's called democracy.

Archived