Is Big Brother Watching?

Guest User

Are all posts on this website anonymous or are they tracked down by someone in the town hall or police department. I believe nothing on here is not invesigated by some higher echelon of the town. It is great to voice one's opinion, but if you don't say what they want, will it hurt you in the long run? What do you think?

I'm sure they can trace you back from your IP address but then again it's not Jim Doran's webpage where post are deleted because the higher ups didn't agree with what was being posted.

Guest Guest

Well, if they really wanted to they could probably trace back using your IP Address, but that would not exactly tell them who is putting the post. I think an IP address is like a name for a computer. They might be able to know if your using AOL, MSN, or the type of server. They might eve be able to tell what region you come from, but I doubt they can find out to much more. Anyway, this town hall is filled with such idiots, that I'm not worried. I feel safe enough to keep on typing, to help clean the town. MAYBE KOTW can answer this question.

Well, if they really wanted to they could probably trace back using your IP Address, but that would not exactly tell them who is putting the post. I think an IP address is like a name for a computer. They might be able to know if your using AOL, MSN, or the type of server. They might eve be able to tell what region you come from, but I doubt they can find out to much more. Anyway, this town hall is filled with such idiots, that I'm not worried. I feel safe enough to keep on typing, to help clean the town. MAYBE KOTW can answer this question.

Dear Posters:

Guest is correct. Although it is possible to trace back an IP address, the information that would garner is very limited. Just as Guest stated, AOL, MSN, would have specific IP addresses assigned to them for use by their subscribers so if you use AOL to dial in then your IP address would go back to AOL. I am not sure what AOL keeps track of but KOTW would not have access to that information.

I am not interested in who posted but that people post and discuss the issues openly and without fear of reprisal. As everyone hopefully has seen, I do not delete posts. I edit posts when I feel it appropriate and tell you why. KOTW wants everyone to participate and get a chance to voice their opinion. So far, so good.

KOTW

Guest Guest

Everytime you hit a website your ip address can be logged. You are usually given an ip address by your internet subscriber. If you dial up then you usually getting a different address everytime you dial up, but broadband users may have the same ip address for a while. To see your address go to a DOS prompt and type ipconfig/all ... This will give you your address. This is all the website will obtain from your computer, to get who was assigned the address the website would have to go back to the subscriber and subpoena the records. If your concerned about your identity you can purchase software which will mask your true ip address by utilizing proxy (fake) address.

http://www.ghostsurf-pro.com/

This is just one of the available software vendors... But truthfully YOU DON'T NEED TO BE WORRIED... NOBODY CAN FIND OUT WHO POSTS WITHOUT MOVING MOUNTAINS. KEEP UP THE POSTING

Archived