Dr James Doran

Guest Time to go

Guest Tired of Intimidation

Here is the article.  It's actually 5 jobs since he's a puppet master of Mayor James Fife. Rumor has it Doran's ego is so big that he is bucking the party by forcing ailing Mayor Fife to run despite the party supporting an experienced council member.  The FBI should follow Doctor Doran around and see how much work he really does. 

A 4th public job boosts Dem's pay to $273K

Updated Aug 18, 2017; Posted Aug 18, 2017
23256240-mmmain.jpg
James Doran said he thinks Harrison residents would dispute that he has too many public jobs.

Harrison Councilman James Doran is one busy man.

Doran, 56, holds three public jobs, is an unpaid board member for a Hudson County agency and was sworn in last month as a paid commissioner for the Passaic Valley Sewerage Commission. That position comes with a pension -- Doran's third.

In all, Doran earns over $273,000 from taxpayers annually. In his off time, he runs Harrison Realty, where he is co-owner.

Asked whether he has too much on his plate, the councilman told The Jersey Journal he thinks Harrison residents would say he does not. He has multiple public posts because he is "knowledgeable about the community," he said in a phone interview.

"I've been pretty much dedicated to Harrison my whole life," Doran said.

Hudson County is famous for its double- and triple-dippers. Nick Sacco, the longtime North Bergen mayor, is also a state senator and was a top administrator with North Bergen's public-school district until his July retirement. Bob Knapp is the East Newark clerk, treasurer for that town's school district and the county welfare director. But quadruple-dippers are rare.

Here are the public paychecks Councilman/Assistant Schools Superintendent/Commissioner/Adult School Supervisor Doran collects:

* $261,515: Doran's largest public salary is for being assistant superintendent of Harrison's 2,100-student school district. He used to be the schools chief but took on his current role in 2014 rather than accept a $155,000 salary mandated by the state's 2011 superintendent pay cap (there is no salary maximum on other school administrator positions). As a school administrator, he is enrolled in the state Teachers' Pension and Annuity Fund.

* $10,000: That's what Doran will make annually at the PVSC. Commissioners for the agency, which provides services to 1.4 million people across four counties, meet monthly.

As a PVSC commissioner, Doran is automatically enrolled in the state's Defined Contribution Retirement Program, a 401(k)-style program where officials contribute 5.5 percent of their salary to a tax-deferred investment account. The PVSC provides a matching contribution of 3 percent. A PVSC spokesman noted state statute requires PVSC commissioners be enrolled in the pension program.

* $1,500: Doran earns that as Harrison's 4th Ward councilman. He was first elected in 1998. For this role, he is enrolled in the state Public Employees' Retirement System.

* $37 an hour: Since 2015, Doran has been an hourly, part-time supervisor for Hudson County Schools of Technology's adult high school, which has a Harrison location.

He was previously the school's full-time principal. Doran said he works rarely at the adult high school, sometimes two hours a week. "Sometimes I forget I even do it," he said.

Doran is also an unpaid commissioner for the Hudson County Improvement Authority, which meets monthly.

Regarding his pensions, Doran said his major pension is for his school administrator job. His PERS retirement, he said, will amount to "$6 a year." The PVSC will contribute $300 a year to the pension for his commissioner job.

Doran is a powerful pol in Harrison, a blue-collar town of about 15,000 on the western edge of Hudson County where the median household income is $56,700.

The town's mayor and eight council members are all Democrats and often run for re-election unchallenged. Doran's only Democratic challenge was in 2000. In his last re-election bid, he reported raising $49.11.

Appointments to the PVSC board are nominated by Republican Gov. Chris Christie and approved by the Democratic-controlled state Senate. Spokesmen for Christie, who has in the past railed against politicians who hold multiple public jobs, and for senate Democrats did not return requests for comment.

Doran, who crossed party lines in 2013 to endorse Christie, joined the PVSC board on July 13 along with Joseph Isola, formerly a Union City firefighter and fire captain with North Hudson Fire & Rescue.

Doran was sworn in by his brother, John, who works for PVSC's river restoration program. His brother's salary at the sewerage agency is $115,211.

-- Terrence T. McDonald may be reached at tmcdonald@jjournal.com. Follow him on Twitter @terrencemcd.

Doran has a lot of skeletons in his closet. Just ask his former **** ******* who he had ******** for ******* *********. And look into the report when he ********* his *** *****. The young ***** who **** ** said that he always **** **** *** ***.

Edited by KOTW
Content.

Why have the mayor and council man removed all their thank you signs from their homes? Why? One council member from the third ward was handing them out. Are you ashamed of our first responders? These men have kept this town moving despite the shortage of manpower . Over priced pansy Chiefs and commissioners . Is that your way of a rebel? I don’t know who s begins the great take down but know this , elections are coming and actions speak volumes. What services will you be offering the residents taxpayers , when you have issues with the first responders. Granted 90%of the police and 100% of fire don’t live in town. However, most grew up here and still love this square mile. To me it was a trump move by mayor and councilmen. This is a world of millennials who won’t be silenced.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Town Resident
On 2/23/2018 at 1:38 AM, Guest Why said:

Why have the mayor and council man removed all their thank you signs from their homes? Why? One council member from the third ward was handing them out. Are you ashamed of our first responders? These men have kept this town moving despite the shortage of manpower . Over priced pansy Chiefs and commissioners . Is that your way of a rebel? I don’t know who s begins the great take down but know this , elections are coming and actions speak volumes. What services will you be offering the residents taxpayers , when you have issues with the first responders. Granted 90%of the police and 100% of fire don’t live in town. However, most grew up here and still love this square mile. To me it was a trump move by mayor and councilmen. This is a world of millennials who won’t be silenced.

Well said.

Guest Town Resident

No person should be able to hold multiple positions that clearly are conflicts of interest.  Not conflicts for him of course.

Why not own a realty company AND have have connections to those with a seat at the table deciding the town’s developmental future?

Why not have a position of authority within the school system?

Perfect opportunity to have his eyes and ears to the ground for anyone who would DARE go against his inner circle?  YES, he uses people within his own office to strong arm the few that would be so gullible to think they have the right to vote for whoever they think would do a good job!  

The funny thing is that even though I think he is a deplorable human being and those that follow him are spineless - I would vote for someone within that circle if he chose to run on his own merits and cut ties.

LB- don’t you want to be mayor one day? With all you do for this town, I’m sure you know you could do more good.  So why is your puppet master still pushing for fif e to do the job?  Is it because You might just have a soul and concsious of your own - a little tougher to manipulate? 

Think what you will about AM, but at least he has a spine.  Win or lose, my vote is for the candidate that opposes quadruple dippers.