Charter School - What Next?

Guest guest

Guest guest

Once again Chris Christie and his anti-local public eduction crew (David Hespe) have decided to insert themselves into our local school district by approving a charter school (K-5), New Jersey Arts and Science Charter School, into our community. A man named, Nihat Guvercin is the CEO of New Jersey Arts and Science Charter Schools. I was told that this is a Turkish organization with charter schools in many States with a connection to a certain religious group in Turkey and that some of the monies received by the taxpayers go to hiring Turkish businesses and Turkish employees, etc. I am not sure if this is 100 percent correct or not. Since most Charter Schools are not selective, supposedly the students are chosen by lottery, what could be the attraction? (Many Charters have been accused of manipulating test scores, grades and even the so-called lottery of students attending.) They are paid for by taxpayers money and yet, are run by a private business. In other words the local taxpayers pay their salaries, building rentals, supplies and books etc., but have absolutely no say in how things are run. You can't go down and complain to the local BOE. This school will be for children from both Kearny and Jersey City (I don't see the connection) and the classes will be held at the old St. Stephen's School (Mater Dei). Once again, the local taxpayers have no voice. I used to think that those who warned of being taken over by some International government were crazy. Now I'm not so sure.

Guest Kearny Resident

Thank god we have Matthew LaClair who will make sure that there is separation of church and state in this new charter school.

Maybe the KBOE should have bought the building since it would have made more sense.

The kids are going to be primarily from Jersey City.

Just like in Harrison where the charter school at Holy Cross has kids primarily from Newark.

Parents will eventually realize that I'm better off in Harrison and Kearny rather than Newark and Jersey City.

Guest Guest
Parents will eventually realize that I'm better off in Harrison and Kearny rather than Newark and Jersey City.
I don't know about you, but my parents made that decision in 1968 - from West New York. When they went to a "cook-out" at the house of one of my Dad's co-workers, my parents saw the house across the street was for sale and we were living in Kearny by the end of the summer. Why would it be wrong for anyone else to see the benefits of living in Kearny as opposed to Newark or Jersey City?

Guest School Watcher
I don't know about you, but my parents made that decision in 1968 - from West New York. When they went to a "cook-out" at the house of one of my Dad's co-workers, my parents saw the house across the street was for sale and we were living in Kearny by the end of the summer. Why would it be wrong for anyone else to see the benefits of living in Kearny as opposed to Newark or Jersey City?

I was just noting that in Harrison some of the parents of students in the charter school are moving into Harrison and there is a need to build another school. You are the one who read more into my statement.

It is out of control how many children are coming to Harrison and will come to Kearny because of the Abbott District free day care for kids. Ironic, that if you are a bad school you get more money. What happens when the State pulls out the Abbott money. The taxpayers can't afford the taxes now what will happen when they double because of the school portion doubling them.

Guest guest

I think you misunderstand. The students won't be moving to Kearny to live, they will be traveling to Kearny to attend school. The point of this is that, whether the student lives in Kearny or Jersey City, the taxpayers will have no say as to how the school is run and yet will have to pay for it.

Edited by KOTW
Fixed placement of new post after prior quote

Guest guest

I was just noting that in Harrison some of the parents of students in the charter school are moving into Harrison and there is a need to build another school. You are the one who read more into my statement.

It is out of control how many children are coming to Harrison and will come to Kearny because of the Abbott District free day care for kids. Ironic, that if you are a bad school you get more money. What happens when the State pulls out the Abbott money. The taxpayers can't afford the taxes now what will happen when they double because of the school portion doubling them.

Since when is the Kearny School District an Abbott District?

Guest Guest

The people from Jersey City who end up sending their students to a charter school aren't going to set up tents in the parking lot of the school, they have to rent an apartment or buy a house in Kearny in order to be in any school in Kearny other than the new charter school. They aren't going to add more housing - not the like town did in allowing all those town houses on the bottom of Bergen Avenue! Our population problem in Kearny schools started long before the idea of this charter school. We needed to build a new school 20 years ago!

PS I'm not pro-charter - I'm against the charter school because I feel like a community should be allowed to vote via referendum whether or not the citizens feel the need for a charter in their community.

Guest Guest

dont the sending districts pay? If all the kids are from out of town this wont cost kearny anything. And if a lot of kearny kids go, maybe it will force the non roosevelt grammer schools to improve.

Guest Guest

dont the sending districts pay? If all the kids are from out of town this wont cost kearny anything. And if a lot of kearny kids go, maybe it will force the non roosevelt grammer schools to improve.

The sending districts do pay. If any students from Kearny attend, those monies will come out of Kearny's school district budget, and the taxpayers and parents will have no say regarding how the school is operated. The curricula at all of our grammar schools are the same, as far as I know.

Guest Guest

Isn't it time everybody gets over that Roosevelt academy baloney? There are great teachers in EVERY school & EVERY school has to follow the same Core Curriculum standards. Just because your property taxes may be higher at one end of town, it doesn't equate with more $$$$ being spent in that area's school. Your tax dollars for education aren't unevenly disbursed from one school to another based on where you live, even if you think it should be. Level playing field.

• 2 months later...

The charter school is now accepting applications. They will be a K-5 only next year, and their website says that students admitted will be chosen according to a lottery (not merit) system only.