Trouble at KHS

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

What is going on at KHS these days? I've heard from a number of students that there have been fights almost every day for about a month or so now. Now I hear of the potential threat of gang retaliation involving kids from Newark in response to a recent brawl a few days ago. If this is true, what(if any) disciplinary measures have been taken against these students who continually disrupt the learning environment?

Guest Guest

These days? Lol. My kids was threatened by gang members 15 years ago! Where have you been? If you live in America there are gang issues, threats, infiltration and influences in every school. If you live in Urban America the problems are greater. More importantly is how the issue is handled. In Kearny it has always been pretend the problem does not exist. Hope things have changed but I would not count on it!

Guest Guest

These days? Lol. My kids was threatened by gang members 15 years ago! Where have you been? If you live in America there are gang issues, threats, infiltration and influences in every school. If you live in Urban America the problems are greater. More importantly is how the issue is handled. In Kearny High School it has always been pretend the problem does not exist. Hope things have changed but I would not count on it!

Fixed that for You...the PD has Known and been stopped at every turn by the politicians who wont allow them into the school to do anything......if DARE wasnt Mandated as well as School Resource Officers by the state and out of the control of the locals, you'd NEVER see a Cop in the schools id the administrators had their way.

Guest Scared for children

My child did tell me that, at some point through out the day, the doors & gates were locked so that nobody could get in or out. They were aloud to leave for lunch but a lot of kids did not leave the building because they were scared to. We made a call to the school & were told that they were not in a "lock-down" but that there was some sort of threat made to the school & detectives are doing an investigation. It is a very uneasy & scary feeling to drop your child off in the morning, praying that nothing will happen while they are going off to get an education! How is this happening???

Guest Guest

Fixed that for You...the PD has Known and been stopped at every turn by the politicians who wont allow them into the school to do anything......if DARE wasnt Mandated as well as School Resource Officers by the state and out of the control of the locals, you'd NEVER see a Cop in the schools id the administrators had their way.

Thank you for fixing that! Exactly what I meant! In other towns police in schools is viewed as good thing. I guess things have not changed. Does KHS have a resource officer?

Guest Guest

Thank you for fixing that! Exactly what I meant! In other towns police in schools is viewed as good thing. I guess things have not changed. Does KHS have a resource officer?

They are ,mandated to provide one by law.

Guest Guest

They are ,mandated to provide one by law.

so in a school of 1500 or so high school age students in an urban area they have one police officer? Is the officer employed by the police dept or the BOE? Are there any additional patrols at dimissal? From my experience as a former student that was a crucial time for trouble particuarly outside influences. My family of 6 siblings have all moved out of town to send their children to "better" and "safer" schools. They say I am crazy to stay here and send my children to the middle school or high school. I hear things like this and it scares me. I have always loved living here but lately i see things that are disturbing. But then I think about recent school shootings and they were in all kinds of schools. My siblings tell me that is a weak argument. They say "the troubles in schools that make the media only do because school administration cant keep it out of the media. In addition Kearny is known for shoving problems under the carpet." I would like to hear from other sources if this is the trend here. Everyone I know is moving out. Am I truly that nieve? Any objective input would be helpful. Is that possible?

Guest Guest

so in a school of 1500 or so high school age students in an urban area they have one police officer? Is the officer employed by the police dept or the BOE? Are there any additional patrols at dimissal? From my experience as a former student that was a crucial time for trouble particuarly outside influences. My family of 6 siblings have all moved out of town to send their children to "better" and "safer" schools. They say I am crazy to stay here and send my children to the middle school or high school. I hear things like this and it scares me. I have always loved living here but lately i see things that are disturbing. But then I think about recent school shootings and they were in all kinds of schools. My siblings tell me that is a weak argument. They say "the troubles in schools that make the media only do because school administration cant keep it out of the media. In addition Kearny is known for shoving problems under the carpet." I would like to hear from other sources if this is the trend here. Everyone I know is moving out. Am I truly that nieve? Any objective input would be helpful. Is that possible?

The Police Department has been reduced in numbers to below 100 Officers over the past 4 years In the 80's it was at a high of around 140, in the mid 90's it was reduced through attrition to around 99, and services suffered, now its below even that. There have been over 20 retirements since the beginning of 2012, there are probably close to another 30 officers that are either eligible now, or will be eligible in the next few years, the Town in it';s infinite wisdom, has seen fit to hire 3 replacements so far. Do the Math.