Taxes

Guest jack

I have one question, every year taxes go up up up, I want to know exactly what am I getting more? Seems like I am paying more in taxes than mortgage, how do the seniors afford this.....It is getting way out of line, the streets are disgusting, storefronts vacant...I do not get it....we farm out the cutting of grass, water, garbage, so what exactly does the DPW do?

I have one question, every year taxes go up up up, I want to know exactly what am I getting more? Seems like I am paying more in taxes than mortgage, how do the seniors afford this.....It is getting way out of line, the streets are disgusting, storefronts vacant...I do not get it....we farm out the cutting of grass, water, garbage, so what exactly does the DPW do?

Maybe you haven't noticed but the middle class is shrinking. It's not just the DPW or Kearny. It's nearly the whole country. A few years ago, China embraced capitalism. As a result, hundreds of millions of Chinese workers are now available to take jobs that Americans used to hold, and because they're willing to work for much less, American jobs are going overseas. Technology has also changed our economy. Robots have displaced tens of millions for workers. Add that all up, and you get a shrinking economy for everyone except a few who push the paper around. And when they're too big to fail, we the taxpayers bail them out when they collapse. You couldn't get much further from real capitalism.

So let's take it back to your local taxes. Kearny is a blue collar town. We don't have many hedge fund managers here. We may have a Madoff of sorts - we'll see. With real incomes shrinking for the average American as a result of the global economy, and a series of cutbacks from Washington, of course your taxes are going up, and of course the real meaning of that to you is more than it would have been one, two, three or five decades ago. But if we're going to do anything about it, we have to understand why. Just complaining hasn't solved a thing, and it won't.

Guest Jimmy g

You need to look at your tax bill. The school taxes are 52% of it, and the education is garbage. Once the education goes to s#*# then it's time to sell. High taxes+ poor education= less property value . You should go to a school board meeting and ask where your money is going

You need to look at your tax bill. The school taxes are 52% of it, and the education is garbage. Once the education goes to s#*# then it's time to sell. High taxes+ poor education= less property value . You should go to a school board meeting and ask where your money is going

Apparently, the truth was too complicated for you.