Why the Affordable Care Act makes sense and the complaining doesn'

Guest Think About It

Guest Think About It

People are complaining that 4 or 5 million Americans have lost their coverage under the ACA. But why have they lost it?

They lost it because their insurance plans didn't meet the ACA's requirements. If the people supposedly covered under the plans got sick, the insurance company didn't pay the bills. In other words, they weren't really covered. That's why the ACA has eliminated those plans.

It's my business because if you get sick and don't have coverage that pays your bills, you're going to come looking for my tax dollars to pay for your medical care. That wasn't fair. The ACA requires everyone to have insurance that actually pays the bills. People who can't afford enough coverage are eligible for subsidies. That's the only way the system can be fair to everyone.

This isn't about Obama. He'll be out of office in three years. Our health care needs will last all our lives.

Some people say we should just scrap the ACA. But have you ever heard any of them tell you what they would replace it with? I didn't think so.

You're right but the wing nuts who are going to respond to your e-mail would rather see it fail, than to come up with a solution.

That's all the more reason why we need to keep telling the truth to everyone who will listen.

Guest A Proud American

When I retired, my premiums went up at-least $100.00 per month every year. Since the ACA was made into the law, my latest premium went up $12.00 per month with expanded coverage. I don't know about the haters, but I'm keeping my Insurance.

Too many people want instant answers for everything. They want to blame the government for everything but won't let it do what needs to be done. Then they send tea-party nutcakes to Washington to make sure the government won't do anything, and whine when nothing gets done. And they get to be as ridiculous as they want to be because no politician will look the people in the eyes and tell us the truth, which is that we are most of the problem.

We have the power to change things. But too many of us don't study the issues or don't understand them. Too many of us think that we are entitled to a good government, even though we are the ones who vote for politicians because they tell us what we want to hear. Ultimately, it's our fault, because any politician who tells the truth these days probably can't get elected.

The truth is that the world is far more complex than the Framers could ever have imagined. We are in a global economy, which means that factories are going to be built where labor is cheap. We're not even talking about this, because any politician who does will be written off as a pessimist, and people won't vote for him.

We're the problem. Until we get that through our thick skulls, we're not to begin solving any of our other problems.

Too many people want instant answers for everything. They want to blame the government for everything but won't let it do what needs to be done. Then they send tea-party nutcakes to Washington to make sure the government won't do anything, and whine when nothing gets done. And they get to be as ridiculous as they want to be because no politician will look the people in the eyes and tell us the truth, which is that we are most of the problem.

We have the power to change things. But too many of us don't study the issues or don't understand them. Too many of us think that we are entitled to a good government, even though we are the ones who vote for politicians because they tell us what we want to hear. Ultimately, it's our fault, because any politician who tells the truth these days probably can't get elected.

The truth is that the world is far more complex than the Framers could ever have imagined. We are in a global economy, which means that factories are going to be built where labor is cheap. We're not even talking about this, because any politician who does will be written off as a pessimist, and people won't vote for him.

We're the problem. Until we get that through our thick skulls, we're not to begin solving any of our other problems.

It's true. The American people act like spoiled brats. We're pretty much like every other country that sat on top of the world - for a while.

• 2 weeks later...