whats the oldest house in harrison

Guest old timer

i remember this old beat up shack in rovers junk yard, on north fifth st ,,i think it was green,,it always smelled like barnyard animals., when we as kids went by,, we use to call it the haunted house,always saw mice and rats up that way it was creepy....

better question what or where is the oldest house in Harrison?Who cares who owns it ?They weren't alive when it was built.Several houses from 1800's in town.

who owns the oldest home in Harrison

The old Dunphy's bar on Cross and FER Blvd was built in 1804 and the factory that is still running on south 2nd St that winds around to 1st St has a date around the early 1800's on it. McClave Lumber building on Harrison Ave dates back to the 19th century too.

Guest Harrisonian

The old Dunphy's bar on Cross and FER Blvd was built in 1804 and the factory that is still running on south 2nd St that winds around to 1st St has a date around the early 1800's on it. McClave Lumber building on Harrison Ave dates back to the 19th century too.

Dunphy's roof has collapsed in and the building may have to be taken down. I had forgotten about the tool company.. what's its name... Too bad the "redevelopment" tore down the other industrial history of Harrison for what, empty lots and new housing. They should have used those properties for light industry so we could have some jobs or maybe for Amazon's new north jersey warehouse.

i think i remember that house on north 5st;we use to past it going over the bridge to the park;i never saw anyone coming out ;I think it might have been condemned back 50 years ago; maybe thats why it was knock down ;; i do remember that nasty smell when you went by though.

who owns the oldest home in harrison

who owns the oldest home in harrison

There's 2 nice size homes going up south 5th Street that look like they date back at least 100 years. One is on the right side if you are heading toward Warren St. It's a corner house. I believe it's S. 5th St and Jersey St. It has the Lions on the porch.

The other one is across from it. It's on the left hand side and up a few houses. Across from that little power station. A very nice brick victorian with side property that you don't see in Harrison anymore. Always wondered who lived there and how far it dates back. Looks like it has a lot of history.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Formerly of Harrison

On No 5th St around the intersection of William St was a historical marker that indicated that the first mayor of Harrison lived there... That has to me one of the oldies,

I remember that marker. It was Mayor Bruder's home. Boy time goes by and it seems that we stand still. It had a glass enclossed porch. Or at least a windowed encloser.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dog retired

There was always a guy fixing a big truck next to Rovers, for years, always on a dolly working on that truck, he must have lived in that house next to the junk yard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

On No 5th St around the intersection of William St was a historical marker that indicated that the first mayor of Harrison lived there... That has to me one of the oldies,

About 14 yrs. ago, the woman sold the house , moved into the condos on Cross & Kingsland Ave. and the new Chinese owners at the time, gave the "wooden historical marker' to the Town Museum.

that condemned house by rovers junk yard,,,i believe a family named hartmann lived there years ago

Yes, they did, I went to school with one of the girls who graduated HHS in 1972.

• 2 weeks later...