40th Annual Saint Patrick's Day Parade

Guest United Irish

Guest United Irish

The United Irish Associations of West Hudson present the 40th Annual Saint Patrick's Day Parade on Sunday, March 10, 2013. The parade begins at 2nd Street and Harrison Avenue in Harrison at 2:00 PM and continues past Harrison Town Hall, East Newark Borough Hall, and Kearny Town Hall before ending at Quincy Avenue and Kearny Avenue in Kearny. Learn more about it at http://www.unitedirish.org or visit our Facebook page.

Guest Seamus

The United Irish Associations of West Hudson present the 40th Annual Saint Patrick's Day Parade on Sunday, March 10, 2013. The parade begins at 2nd Street and Harrison Avenue in Harrison at 2:00 PM and continues past Harrison Town Hall, East Newark Borough Hall, and Kearny Town Hall before ending at Quincy Avenue and Kearny Avenue in Kearny. Learn more about it at http://www.unitedirish.org or visit our Facebook page.

Lets see if Harrison will be raising the Ireland flag this year at the town hall. They haven't in the last 2 years, but East Newark and Kearny always fly the flag. But Harrison makes sure they have the Peruvian & Portuguese flags flying on their respective holidays, which is fine. Although Holy Cross does have the Ireland flag raised, Church and state are separate and the town not raising the flag is a sign of not recognizing the Irish holiday.

Guest GUEST

Congratulations to all the honorees for the 2013 St. Patrick's Day Parade!!!!! ERIN GO BRAGH!!!!!!!!

Guest guest

So, can the Harrison fire fighters put out any fire? 4 Jersey City firefighters were injured on the Rodgers Blvd fire last week when there was a backdraft and they were in the building. Where were the Harrison firefighters? Marching in the St. Patrick's day parade?

It is incredible the amount of money the taxpayers of Harrison pay for this terrible fire department that cannot put out a fire at its early stages and allows it to escalate. The surrounding towns have to come in a put out their fires. Based upon what happened in this fire, we are better off with subcontracting out fire protection to Jersey City and/or Newark and eliminate the Harrison fire department outright. The performance of our fire fighters is terrible.

Guest Harrison Senior

So, can the Harrison fire fighters put out any fire? 4 Jersey City firefighters were injured on the Rodgers Blvd fire last week when there was a backdraft and they were in the building. Where were the Harrison firefighters? Marching in the St. Patrick's day parade?

It is incredible the amount of money the taxpayers of Harrison pay for this terrible fire department that cannot put out a fire at its early stages and allows it to escalate. The surrounding towns have to come in a put out their fires. Based upon what happened in this fire, we are better off with subcontracting out fire protection to Jersey City and/or Newark and eliminate the Harrison fire department outright. The performance of our fire fighters is terrible.

Barney, What that fire shows is the HFD is grossly understaffed and needs to be returned to it's former manpower levels.

There's not much the 5 or 6 FF's on duty could do by themselves in that situation. If a fully staffed FD had responded to that

fire they may have been able to control it by themselves. The mayor needs to realize the danger he's placing everyone in,

both FF's and residents, by allowing this dangerous situation to continue. It wouldn't surprise me if Jersey City or Kearny's

mayors put McDonough on notice that there's a limit to how much time and money they're willing to spend responding to

Harrison when McDonough apparently isn't willing or able to provide adequate Harrison manpower.

Guest Guest

You are a MORON period, enough said

Guest ENFD supporter

St Patrick's Fire. Its all about the career FD. What about the fact that there was 3 firefighters on the roof venting and 2 firefighters at the doorway when the back draft happened.and also the fact that the windows on the second floor of the corner building we're all boarded up from the inside.what Harrison is quick to point fingers and fault on Vol. Department . Let me guess they also at fault that Harrison is burning down because thier so called firemen are incompetent.

Guest Guest

St Patrick's Fire. Its all about the career FD. What about the fact that there was 3 firefighters on the roof venting and 2 firefighters at the doorway when the back draft happened.and also the fact that the windows on the second floor of the corner building we're all boarded up from the inside.what Harrison is quick to point fingers and fault on Vol. Department . Let me guess they also at fault that Harrison is burning down because thier so called firemen are incompetent.

The 3 firemen on the roof were from ENFD,you know where they should have been venting. Lets not forget that they were not wearing proper gear on the roof & certainly not on the ladder or on the hose line.

Guest Citizen

That is a good point , why were those windows boarded up and who is responsible for the Inspection of that building . My understanding there was a church above those two restaurants . Is that not considered a place of assembly by code?

Guest Citizenu

ENFD supporter , it appears that you are well informed of the EN fire men's positions . How due you explain if that we're there positions how none of them were hurt ? And the videos I watched of the fire don't show them in those positions during the explosion.

Guest Got Nerve

I Just want to say all the fireman did a great job!!! But as I read the Observer to today I come cross the Harrison Fire Director's comments.I see how he is so concerned that ENFD was not in proper gear. I totally understand the 2 women should not have been helping out with the hoses with out gear on. But then you also have to look into to your own dept. because their were Harrison firefights in their everyday clothes helping out too. Also why was Harrison DPW pulling hoses?? They are not trained at all and had no gear on.

Guest Guest

The two women on the hose line and knucklehead on the ladder are no longer active members of the department and hence not insured by any if the towns, and the chief that is in the video watching this go on already has blood on his hands. Google it it's public record

Guest Harrison Senior

Harrison is clearly at fault and blames everybody and anybody who was near the scene. The Harrison Fire Dept. is untrained, out of shape, lazy, and don't care about the Harrison residents because the firemen do not live in Harrison. Kearny and Jersey City are the same. $130,000.00/year Captains and $150,000.00/year Battalion Chiefs who just don't give a crap about anything but their paychecks. Get rid of every one of them and others will do a better job at minimum wage.

Guest U R Pathetic

I Just want to say all the fireman did a great job!!! But as I read the Observer to today I come cross the Harrison Fire Director's comments.I see how he is so concerned that ENFD was not in proper gear. I totally understand the 2 women should not have been helping out with the hoses with out gear on. But then you also have to look into to your own dept. because their were Harrison firefights in their everyday clothes helping out too. Also why was Harrison DPW pulling hoses?? They are not trained at all and had no gear on.

The Harrison Fire Director better start earning his pay check and worry about investigating his own department and not worry about scape goating the ENFD Volunteers who are always there for Harrison when they get the call. He was very quick in Last week's Observer to try and deflect the negative attention away from the Harrison department onto a department of volunteers. Very easy thing to do because volunteers are always made out to be less trained. Not true. Same fire academy as paid firemen, same equipment and 9 out of 10 calls in Harrison, ENFD is there. ENFD is Ray's golden ticket!! They do what career firmend do and they do it for nothing. But because they don't work twice a week, they will never get the respect form career firmen. The hard truth.

Guest Guest

Harrison is clearly at fault and blames everybody and anybody who was near the scene. The Harrison Fire Dept. is untrained, out of shape, lazy, and don't care about the Harrison residents because the firemen do not live in Harrison. Kearny and Jersey City are the same. $130,000.00/year Captains and $150,000.00/year Battalion Chiefs who just don't give a crap about anything but their paychecks. Get rid of every one of them and others will do a better job at minimum wage.

WRONG as usual. Where do you get your info. your salary guide is way off & Harrison has not had B/C for almost 3 years. They also pulled up with 6 men & assigned ENFD the building that had the backdraft. WAKE UP!

Guest Former FF

WRONG as usual. Where do you get your info. your salary guide is way off & Harrison has not had B/C for almost 3 years. They also pulled up with 6 men & assigned ENFD the building that had the backdraft. WAKE UP!

Ok if that is true was was all of East Newarks stuff on the side in front of the apartments on Davis St... Why weren't they in front of the building? Usually if you are working on a building you would put your fire trucks near it, right?

Guest wrong again

WRONG again!! The building that had the backdraft was not "assigned" to ENFD as you put it. Where do you get your info from? So you are saying that each department was soley responsible for 1 building? That's ridiculous. ENFD arrived and was stationed on Davis St. They were in the main fire structure and the adjacent building preventing the fire from spreading further back on Davis St. Jersey City was also in the main structure. That's how they were injured during the backdraft. Also 3 departments ladders were used to flow water on the building. Not Harrison's. (Out of service, we know) Harrison was 2 houses over for whatever reason in a 2 family house while the mutal aid departments were fighting in the main buildings.

WAKE UP!

Guest concern citizen

Mr. Wrong Again or East Newark firefighter , you seem to have a abundance of information about this situation . I viewed a tape showing ENFD given the assignment to open the roof . Are you going to tell me something I seen with my own eyes is a mirage ?

Guest Former FF

Mr. Wrong Again or East Newark firefighter , you seem to have a abundance of information about this situation . I viewed a tape showing ENFD given the assignment to open the roof . Are you going to tell me something I seen with my own eyes is a mirage ?

Yes I've seen the same video and 2 mins and 40 seconds later the back draft happens. They did open 3 natural vents when they first got on the roof, then checked for a 2nd means of egress and requested one to be put up, then while they were starting a cut the backdraft occurred. I know this because one of the guys on the roof told me. How about you just go ask then before you start making accusations?

Guest concern citizen

East Newark Fireman , now your making statements that you were on the roof only minutes prior to that condition. There are inaccuracies between these statements and the videos , in one segment in the video it shows one of the firefighters in the front of the building on the roof doing nothing. Additional in the segment it shows signs of backdraft at the side and rear of the building , that were not reported .

Guest Citizen

Former Fireman, in your post you mention three natural means of ventilation that were established . What were they and did they ventilate the cockloft . I am not placing blame on anyone, just trying to understand with all these disparages .