Your thoughts?

Guest Keith-Marshall,Mo

Guest Keith-Marshall,Mo

Hello everyone........

Like you I have been reading and responding to many posts on this site.Mostly about the topic of religion in class, or should I say preaching in class as seems to be then main theme of the arguement.

Clearly a polarization has been revealed. No surprise really. I have stated that I was born and raised a Christian and still try to live my life as such although I left the walls of the "Church" many years ago. For this I have been called an Atheist, a Darwiniac and a Kool-Aide drinker. That's fine I can live with that.

The point that I'm trying to make is this: An individuals faith or lack of thereof is or should be an intensely personal decision in how an individual chooses to live thier own life.

No matter how right one believes his or her chosen faith to be, there will always be a large percentage of the populace that won't agree. I submit that this will always be the case when dealing with human beings.

This world is full of current examples of what can happen when religion, any religion is allowed to overwhelmingly permeate every aspect of a society. Think about it, we are about to enter 2007 and there are still religious wars in this world, yet we are no closer to knowing the absolute truth. We do know that people are actually dying for this, today,right now as you sit at your computer people are dying at the hands of religious zealots. Unfortunately that particular truth is indisputable.

For me, the most Christian thing that I can do is to accept that this unacceptable.

Let's be honest, faith is not fact. At the end of the day no one on this planet, be it creationists, evolutionists or anyone in between actually knows the absolute truth. I also think that we also need to concede that it is enitrely plausible that we may never know the absolute truth, ever. Yet people are persecuted every day in every manner by those who think they do know the truth.

As a Christian, I don't want anyone belittled or made to feel uncomfortable because they don't happen to subscribe to my particular faith. Diversity is what makes this world go 'round and that should go for religion as well.

There are those of course who won't agree and that's fine. The question is this: How far are you willing to go to further your particular faith? What happens if you are in fact successful and then someone comes along and takes things even further than you were willing to go, what then?

For those who would like to see thier religion more engrained in society and even government I say this: Be carful, be very careful what you ask for.

I would like to know your thoughts on this.

Hello everyone........

Like you I have been reading and responding to many posts on this site.Mostly about the topic of religion in class, or should I say preaching in class as seems to be then main theme of the arguement.

Clearly a polarization has been revealed. No surprise really. I have stated that I was born and raised a Christian and still try to live my life as such although I left the walls of the "Church" many years ago.  For this I have been called an Atheist, a Darwiniac and a Kool-Aide drinker. That's fine I can live with that.

The point that I'm trying to make is this: An individuals faith or lack of thereof is or should be an intensely personal decision in how an individual chooses to live thier own life.

No matter how right one believes his or her chosen faith to be, there will always be a large percentage of the populace that won't agree. I submit that this will always be the case when dealing with human beings.

This world is full of current examples of what can happen when religion, any religion is allowed to overwhelmingly permeate every aspect of a society.  Think about it, we are about to enter 2007 and there are still religious wars in this world, yet we are no closer to knowing the absolute truth. We do know that people are actually dying for this, today,right now as you sit at your computer people are dying at the hands of religious zealots. Unfortunately that particular truth is indisputable.

For me, the most Christian thing that I can do is to accept that this unacceptable.

Let's be honest, faith is not fact. At the end of the day no one on this planet, be it creationists, evolutionists or anyone in between actually knows the absolute truth. I also think that we also need to concede that it is enitrely plausible that we may never know the absolute truth, ever. Yet people are persecuted every day in every manner by those who think they do know the truth.

As a Christian, I don't want anyone belittled or made to feel uncomfortable because they don't happen to subscribe to my particular faith. Diversity is what makes this world go 'round and that should go for religion as well.

There are those of course who won't agree and that's fine. The question is this: How far are you willing to go to further your particular faith? What happens if you are in fact successful and then someone comes along and takes things even further than you were willing to go, what then?

For those who would like to see thier religion more engrained in society and even government I say this: Be carful, be very careful what you ask for.

Keith, you know I agree with you. My only comment is that faith has been hijacked by theists. I want to take it back, because it belongs to all of us.

Faith isn't limited to a particular "faith." Faith is a creative force in human life, when it is properly used. Productive Faith is more an action than a belief. By invoking counter-productive faith, many people give themselves license to believe things without any reason whatsoever, except that they wish them to be true. I posted on this in another topic. If you can, read Paul Tillich's book on Faith. He was a Christian theologican, but understood this subject well and wrote of it brilliantly.

I am glad you are here.

Guest 2smart4u
Hello everyone........

Clearly a polarization has been revealed. No surprise really. I have stated that I was born and raised a Christian and still try to live my life as such although I left the walls of the "Church" many years ago.  For this I have been called an Atheist, a Darwiniac and a Kool-Aide drinker. That's fine I can live with that.

This world is full of current examples of what can happen when religion, any religion is allowed to overwhelmingly permeate every aspect of a society.  Think about it, we are about to enter 2007 and there are still religious wars in this world, yet we are no closer to knowing the absolute truth. We do know that people are actually dying for this, today,right now as you sit at your computer people are dying at the hands of religious zealots. Unfortunately that particular truth is indisputable.

My thoughts are that you don't have a lot to do in Missouri.

Hello everyone........

:) 1ST YOU MIX THE JUDAO CHRISTIAN ETHIC WITH RELIGION! thats wrong! its not the samething! the ethic is what made our country strong and teaches kids to respect the elders and each other! our laws come from this and if we get away from it this country will fall! i was a baptist growing up in kearny and no i did not like what my church did from {time to time} but the base for what i am came from that teaching and seeing in school that god was real ! NOT RELIGION! TEACHING ABOUT GOD" without any sect involvment"" the arguement that GOD MADE THE WORLD " is not wrong! its his laws we live by!! :ph34r:

Guest Keith-Marhsall,Mo
:D 1ST YOU MIX THE JUDAO CHRISTIAN ETHIC WITH RELIGION! thats wrong! its not the samething! the ethic is what made our country strong and teaches kids to respect the elders and each other! our laws come from this and if we get away from it this country will fall! i was a baptist growing up in kearny and no i did not like what my church did from {time to time} but the base for what i am came from that teaching and seeing in school that god was real ! NOT RELIGION! TEACHING ABOUT GOD" without any sect involvment"" the arguement that GOD MADE THE WORLD " is not wrong! its his laws we live by!! :excl:

It's seems as though you have either

1.) Missed my point, or

2.) Made my point

Either way, thank you for your thoughts.

Guest Keith-Marshall,Mo
Keith, you know I agree with you. My only comment is that faith has been hijacked by theists. I want to take it back, because it belongs to all of us.

Faith isn't limited to a particular "faith." Faith is a creative force in human life, when it is properly used. Productive Faith is more an action than a belief. By invoking counter-productive faith, many people give themselves license to believe things without any reason whatsoever, except that they wish them to be true. I posted on this in another topic. If you can, read Paul Tillich's book on Faith. He was a Christian theologican, but understood this subject well and wrote of it brilliantly.

I am glad you are here.

Thanks Paul and thank your for a thoughtful and incisive response!

Guest Keith - Marshall.Mo
It's seems as though you have either

1.) Missed my point, or

2.) Made my point

Either way, thank you for your thoughts.

Let me get this straight, are you saying that those without religeon of any kind are unethical?

Guest Steve_C
Let me get this straight, are you saying that those without religeon of any kind are unethical?

We don't live by god's laws. If that were true we would stone people on sundays for working and kill our children for disobedience. Those are "god's laws". People are deluded when they think society gets it's laws from god.

:( 1ST YOU MIX THE JUDAO CHRISTIAN ETHIC WITH RELIGION! thats wrong! its not the samething! the ethic is what made our country strong and teaches kids to respect the elders and each other! our laws come from this and if we get away from it this country will fall! i was a baptist growing up in kearny and no i did not like what my church did from {time to time} but the base for what i am came from that teaching and seeing in school that god was real ! NOT RELIGION! TEACHING ABOUT GOD" without any sect involvment"" the arguement that GOD MADE THE WORLD " is not wrong! its his laws we live by!! :excl:

You really need to expand your horizons. Take a look at Japanese culture, Chinese culture, and any number of Native American tribes to name a few and you'll see there are many that manage to have strong national identities and raise kids that respect their elders and their laws with no contact with the Judaeo-Christian ethic which you seem to think is the only way.