Looking For Something That Will Help

youth of today

dear members of this board

has anyone in kearny or the surrounding area get tired of hearing the youth, specifically the high school aged children complain there is nothing to do in town on a weekend. yes i know there is the lincoln theater but that becomes boring. and yes there is the pbgc dances but they only go up to a certain age. also the high school has dances but very few are fun being i went to some during my 4 years at good old khs.

well im looking for help im looking for anyone that has access to a hall, whether it be a church basement, a vfw or american legion, or one of the clubs in kearny to allow me to put on whats called a "show". a show is when someone like me rents a hall with their own money gets 5 or 6 local and underground bands to play charges little money and kids come and have a fun time. now some of you are saying this is going to cause mischief and bring bands with a negative message with them to the area and im not saying this won't happen but the positives out weigh the negatives it brings a fun and positive environment to the community for our youth. it will keep them off the streets where they block sidewalks and cause destruction and put them in a hall watchin these bands and seeing the positive aspects of the punk/hardcore music communities can offer. now these communities are not just for music it helps inform the youth about political agendas that could affect them, it helps them to find a place of being if they feel left out in the horrible social rings that could be there social life in school, and it will help them give back to the community by opening them up to volunteer work in organinzations such as food not bombs which collects food for the homeless and feeds them.

now im not looking for a free hand out anytime a show is thrown by me i will donate what i can to the venue or a charity in the community. but i am looking for the community to be more accepting of the youth such as a kid the has colored hair, a piercing , a tattoo or by what music we listen too remember this is what our generation does its our way of expression and it will also work vice versa as respect goes both ways. i have always taught to respect everyone no matter what race or religion what gives people the right to disrespect someone because they have a tattoo or green hair. now getting back on the topic of this post im looking for the help of the community on this if i can get one place whether a club hall or a church hall or the town allowing us to use a school i will organize kids to volunteer for cleanups for the parks and the streets of kearny. a good project to allow us to do is is if the town where to let us clean up the old campbell machine shop on passaic ave being that it is an eyesore and no one uses it we could clean it up and use it for a venue for things like shows, school art exhibitions, arts and crafts for seniors and/or the handicapped and it will all be done by the youth of the town.

now if anyone on here would like to help out with my cause please respond to this and if you want to add a suggestion reply but if you are just going to bash this or respond negatively please start your own topic as you will only be adding to the generation gap of the youth and the adults of our area

please feel free to email me at roosterpiercing@verizonmail.com or im me on AIM at roosterpiercing to talk more in detail about this topic

just fyi i am a 20 year old male that group up in kearny my whole life and i have seen the town change and i would like to help keep the changes in a positive way being that i just like members of my family that are teachers, lawyers and members of the area politics love this town and i would want my future children to grow up in our fine community

thank you

chris

Guest Guest

I agree. I have been out of Kearny for a few years now, but I remember growing up and wanting to do something other than go to the movies or sit around on a Friday night. Also, since I didn't have a car, I didn't have access to go to any other place, and my mom wasn't always willing to drive me and my friends around. I wasn't generally allowed to go see shows (or even just hang out) in NYC, so I did wish that there was something to do in town, or even in NA or Harrison (but it would have been a lot easier in Kearny, haha). There are a lot of kids in Kearny now who are starting to do drugs and other kinds of "unacceptable" things, and having a drug-free place to go would probably help out. Since there's a curfew, there would have to be a cop watching the place, but I don't think it's too much of a sacrifice to have just one or two officers in order to try to bring the youth of the town together in a safe place (safer than hanging out on the back streets, anyway).

Good idea man, I completely agree.

thanks for the reply on this here are some points i forgot to make

-shows/place would be completely drug and alcohol free

-it will be a place where you check your negativity and ego at the door

-im askin for help being i dont have the money to shell out the funds to support shows anywhere

-and yes we will have people there to watch over place where its a cop or just security

-and everything will end early enough to get them home on time

-this could help out the local businesses alot by bringin kids here that dont live here (yes this shows draw kids from all over to them but they are all respectable)

im lookin to do one or two just to prove to the people that they are a good idea maybe at the pbc on a saturday afternoon please just something to prove this point is all i need there is no problem with takin a chance on the youth

remember if we educate we end all negativity

i agree chris. nice bane quote . that's what its all about. i will help you do these shows if you need me to. heck , my bands will even play. benefit shows, you name it.

this towns youth is fu**ked up and its getting worse. they need something positive in their lives. this is a good idea.

i dig your intentions, man. this is what kids need.

even all the teenagers who were straight edge at the beginning of high school have now deteriorated into alcoholics, which is sad. i mean, dabbling with drugs and drinking is one thing, but people let it take over.

and it's important to adults to see that even kids who dress in a manner that strays from the norm are not necessarily bad.

if i wasn't lazy and anti-social, i'd help out with your ideas. but i do commend you on the concept.

thanx dude what im lookin for on here is an adult to help us by donating us time at a hall they work at or even just giving us a really good rate on renting them i rented a hall in rutherford that cost aoubt 350 to have a decent amount of time and that was before paying for the pa system and giving gas money to the bands

its like if we could get a hall for a 100 bucks a show that would be great b/c it would keep the cost of the admission to get in low and we can get touring bands to come in and play and not have to worry about paying them

an ideal place for this is at 1 of 3 places the pbc being they have a nice space, the american legion hall on belgrove being they have a huge parking lot or for the town to let us fix up that abandoned building on passaic ave and run something beneficial out of there instead of putting up another park or another street soccer court that only thistle uses anyway.

i find it funny that more people are looking at the gang activity thread and responding about something that if they helped us with this the "gang" pretty much wouldnt exist being we are keepin kids off the street

shows what "adults" think of our generation

Guest Guest 99

You might get more cooperation if you stop posting about kicking peoples a**es and telling people to shut up. You started with a good concept, but now your mouth has gotten in the way.

Guest Guest

give me a quote where i have said i was going to kick someones a*s in this thread and as far as other threads on here im expressing my opinion especially to the racist comments from flagman

I extremely agree with Youth of Today's post. This town needs things for the youth to do that don't include walking the Ave., loitering, and going to the movies. What a great idea to open a center (such as the PBGC), have people volunteer their time (which I would GLADLY do), to help give the youths in Kearny something to do where they're not causing trouble or having their parents worrying about them.

You might get more cooperation if you stop posting about kicking peoples a**es and telling people to shut up. You started with a good concept, but now your mouth has gotten in the way.

im the one posting about beating up racists, not "youth of today"...its called SARCASM. im not gonna really go out there and find every racist in kearny and make them "choke on their own blood" although i would love to.

anyway, the point is, this town does need something positive for the kids. all ages shows that aren't at bars.

Guest Guest 99

There is a meeting of the Mayor and Town Council next Tuesday, March9, at 7 PM in the tow hall. Give a presentation and see what happens.

PS: The meetings are usually televised a week later.

Guest Guest 99
[

im the one posting about beating up racists, not "youth of today"...its called SARCASM. im not gonna really go out there and find every racist in kearny and make them "choke on their own blood" although i would love to.

anyway, the point is, this town does need something positive for the kids. all ages shows that aren't at bars.

So, you're the guy who was only being sarcastic when he yell "Fire" in the movie theater. Be the adult you want to be and take responsibility for your words. Otherwise, don't say them. :huh:

I am a newcomer to this board. And with the way i grew up i wish there was something in this town that this young man has suggested. I used to go to all ages shows in the late 80's and early 90's they are a great thing. It brings together a community of young men and women that normally would not know that they have something in common, such has music, politics, and other things. Look beyond the so called "threats" they have made its just saying that the only way you can get to a racist or what not is through threating them not by violence but by showing what their hatred can come to. And what "youth of today", by the way nice reference to the band, said in another post "if you dont like what they are doing why dont you run? until then shut up" he is clearing saying alot of you on this board like to complain about the people who run this town or board of ed but none of you have said you would run to change it you all want others to do it and you elect these people in. so he is right until you do something about quit your belly acheing. getting back on topic this town does need something that these kids can do something like this but why would they go to the town meeting when all they are asking is that someone with a connection to a hall such as the vfw or the american legion let them rent it out for a very cheap price. this can only help bring the youth of our town closer together and help us bridge the generational gap between rebelious teens and young adults and the people that are the authority.

thank you

Mr. Wonderful

So, you're the guy who was only being sarcastic when he yell "Fire" in the movie theater. Be the adult you want to be and take responsibility for your words. Otherwise, don't say them. :huh:

im not a guy. i guess that's why its funny to threaten to beat someone up on a message board and be taken seriously...i know that yelling fire at a movie theatre is stupid but it is completely diffrent than beating up a racist person. so you can't even compare the two. as for being the adult i want to be i'm 24 years old and am responsible for my actions and words.

Guest Guest

Youth of today aka mr wonderful, in the begining it sounded like a good idea, until you mentioned charging the kids. Now it seems you and your alter ego are shameless promoters, it may have worked for puff daddy but you should forget it!

Excuse me Mr Guest

First off I am not "youth of today" its just that I am the only adult on here that knows about the type of thing he wants to do. Its called a hardcore collective meaning that its not just to promote music but to share ideas and give back to the community.

Second from going to shows in my day and hearing what this kid has to say to what I understand any money made off of the shows is going to go back to support the collective not line the pocket. Meaning that it could go to help secure a better place for the shows and exhibits they plan in the future or to obtain bigger bands from other areas to play, i.e. a touring band that needs gas and a place to stay.

Don't think you know what a kid that comes from the hardcore community does unless you come from one here are some resources for you to look up to learn about what this kid wants to do

internet: www.abcnorio.org - not for profit organization that holds shows and art exhibits also holds food not bombs and learning centers for under privileged kids.

www.hardcorenj.com -one of many hardcore webpages in nj its supports all aspects of the diy culture and has the resources for bands to put up links and dates and venues of shows

and books to read

american hardcore - talks about the early days of the music and the diy ethics of the bands

dance of days - talks about the Washingtion DC diy scene and shows what a couple of kids could turn into a trend

my band could be your life - shows that to be a good band you dont have to be on mtv and sell your tickets for more that 10 bucks to get to a show

Now I threw shows in NYC in the early '90s myself and you have to charge admission not that its alot of money its roughly per person free-$3 for house/basement shows and 5-10 for hall shows the difference being that you the person who throws the show have to put up your own money to rent the hall and get the PA guy there you only take back what money you put into it. Any profit goes to the traveling/touring bands, the sound guy, and to pay off the hall. Now I don't know the ethics of the kid "youth of today" but by what he says I think thats all he would do I don't think he would try to make money off of it, thats not what hardcore is about.

Now if anyone was concerned about if that kid was gonna take the money he makes off of it and not give back why dont you give him the money to throw one so he doesnt have to charge for admission or why not let him use your basement so he can throw a free one. Its not that hard of a concept to grasp, the money that is made off of hardcore goes back to make it bigger and better.

Thank you

Mr.Wonderful

P.S. Youth of Today send me a message I'll see if I still have some old connections for halls and stuff.

Guest StudiesandObservations
Youth of today aka mr wonderful, in the begining it sounded like a good idea, until you mentioned charging the kids. Now it seems you and your alter ego are shameless promoters, it may have worked for puff daddy but you should forget it!

Chargeing a nominal fee is perfectly OK, I dont think Youth is looking to make money on this, but why should he LOSE money either??? Lets face it the Halls cost money, it costs money to get the bands, and it costs money to hire security. That isnt "Shameful Promoting" thats just good sense.

until you mentioned charging the kids. Now it seems you and your alter ego are shameless promoters, it may have worked for puff daddy but you should forget it!

ok first i have i would only charge kids to get into the shows to get money for the benefit of a charity, to pay off the venue, or to get better bands to play. the most i would ever charge is $8 dollars and thats if there is more than one touring band. why doesnt any parent care about what the pbgc charges kids to go the dances or what khs charges for their events. im a private person if i need to charge admission its gonna be cheap and only to cover the cost im not a rich prick like some of you

second off i dont know who mr wonderful is but its nice to see that there is an actual adult on here that would help us out.

if you dont like it dont help us its as simple as that but i dont wanna hear any bitchin about kids hangin out on a street corner b/c no one will help us out

yo here are people that i would like to meet somewhere sometime so we can work out these things and get shit movie

xtfgx

mr wonderful

pube and the others from his site

and anyone that wants to help if your only gonna be negative we dont need you

if you dont like what we wanna do then go out and do something else instead of bitchin about it

chris

Guest Guest

Mr wonderful as a 36 year old with a fiance, why don't you give youth the money to do his show, that would be, i can't resist wonderful.

yo i just realized that its enough of all this talk

come may im gonna be doin shows with your help or not

and studies and observation thanx for the support

i made a simple request for help from the community and what do i get shitted on by you idiots if you wanna see what we can do then come out to the shows and see what a real community is about

peace out

chris

Archived