KHS Football on NJ.com

Guest guest

The entire Kearny football team should wear skirts and carry Pom poms. Canceling a game at the last minute was ridiculous, especially when rumor had it ****** was going to cancel it as of last week. A total embarrassment to the entire town!!!!!! And because the town crier's son wouldn't of looked to good getting his butt kicked all over the field

Edited by KOTW
Content.

Guest Our Gang Guy

Get rid of the football program completely. We play football so the band can do a half time show. We can not put a team on the field that is capable of competing with schools our size or even schools that are smaller.

Why get hurt--the size of our kids does not compare to the size of kids on other schools teams. We are boys playing men--face it we haven't had a truly good football team in many, many years. Save the money and

get the kids a better quality of education. It is hard to learn with a concussion or broken bones.

Not a bunch of non-manly types but people who use their heads.

Good call Board of Education members.

Agree that we shouldn't have cancelled so late. BUT, our football program has not been very good lately, (I'm being kind), I don't know how or why we would ever schedule a game against the likes of St. Peters Prep.

I don't follow HS football too much, but I do follow college, and the number of highly sought after recruits coming out of SPP is significant. So, instead of a late cancellation, perhaps we don't schedule these games IN THE FIRST PLACE.

It was not the boys decision to cancel this game so stop with this bullschnit about wearing skirts and carry pompoms. The AD and BOE should be ashamed of themselves. I guess they did not stop to think how this would affect the entire sports program at KHS. The kids in this school are dealing with a school that is falling apart around them, no principal, and now this. Now the HCIAL is involved. Did the AD and BOE really think there would be no consequences for their actions?

It would be a good call to disband the football program in the interest of education. The children can still exercise. I fail to see where having the best high school football team, on any level, beats having the most intelligent students. School is education and education should always be the main focus. The money for the football could be spent on computers or additional education programs, but in no way on salaries or union issues.

New Jersey High School Cancels Football Game Because They’re Scared To Play The Other Team

JerseyThe football game scheduled Friday night between St. Peter’s Prep and Kearny was cancelled Friday morning because of Kearny officials’ concerns over the potential for injuries to their players.

The action was announced on Kearny’s school website, khs.kearnyschools.com, where the news simply read “tonight’s KHS varsity football game has been cancelled.”

The timing of the move bothered Rich Hansen, the coach at St. Peter’s Prep, which is ranked No. 4 in The Star-Ledger Top 20. But John Millar, the athletic director at Kearny, said he did not know until Friday morning.

“The Board of Education and the superintendent (Ron Bolandi) made a decision not to play the game for safety concerns,” Millar said. “I was informed by the superintendent this morning that I should call St. Peter’s and cancel.

“Let’s face it, we are extreme opposites in terms of competitiveness. They’re very good and our program is not. There was concern over potential for injuries. And if we had too many players injured today, there was a question about going forward with the rest of our season and whether we would be able to play it or finish it.”

Disgusting. You can literally cancel a game now because you’re going to lose. I’ve seen a lot of pussy shit from America’s youth and school systems lately but this is right up there with the worst.

The injury excuse is the biggest crock of shit I’ve ever heard. They both play high school football in New Jersey. They’re in the same league. They’re all high school kids. The chance of an injury in this game is no greater than any other game of the season.

Have adults and schools forgotten that it’s good for kids to get their asses kicked once in awhile? That they should have to go through getting blown out? No no we don’t want that. Schools would rather send the message that if something is too hard or you’re going to get destroyed you just forfeit and give up. Just don’t even try, then your feelings won’t be hurt and it’s all rainbows and sunshine.

Absolutely F**KING disgusting. I really thought Jersey was better than this.

Guest Football Parent

It was not the boys decision to cancel this game so stop with this bullschnit about wearing skirts and carry pompoms. The AD and BOE should be ashamed of themselves. I guess they did not stop to think how this would affect the entire sports program at KHS. The kids in this school are dealing with a school that is falling apart around them, no principal, and now this. Now the HCIAL is involved. Did the AD and BOE really think there would be no consequences for their actions?

OK, so let the game go on and let the boys receive life threatening injuries? Good call BOE and replace the AD WHO ONLY CARES ABOUT THE SOCCER PROGRAM.

Kearny may face penalty for canceling football game with St. Peter's Prep

The executive committe of the Hudson County Interscholastic Athletic League met yesterday to discuss the league's handling of Kearny's cancellation of its football game against St. Peter's Prep.

The executive committee of Hudson County's high school sports league met yesterday with the athletic directors from St. Peter's Prep and Kearny, but no official punishment has been handed down for Kearny's cancellation of last week's football game against Prep, league officials said.

The schools were scheduled to play each other Friday night at Kearny High School, but the Kearny Board of Education and Superintendent Ron Bolandi canceled the game that morning over concerns for player safety.

Yesterday, the Hudson County Interscholastic Athletic League's executive committee convened with both St. Peter's Prep athletic director/football coach Rich Hansen and Kearny athletic director John Millar, said HCIAL first vice president Jerry Maietta.

"We met, no decision has been finalized at this time," said Maietta, North Bergen High School athletic director. "We'd like some sort of resolution sooner rather than later, but no timetable as been set."

Maietta would not disclose what potential action the league might take toward Kearny for canceling the game.

Maietta added that Hansen, who serves as HCIAL president and is part of executive committee, was at the meeting solely as a representative of St. Peter's Prep.

"Obviously he has to recuse himself; he removed himself from any type of discussion or input," Maietta said of Hansen.

St. Peter's Prep (2-0) is ranked No. 4 in the state and has won 99 consecutive games against Hudson County opponents, while Kearny (0-2) was outscored 90-6 in two losses to Columbia and Bayonne. Hansen, who is in his 25th season at Prep, entered Friday with 199 career victories.

The HCIAL executive committee also consists of Snyder High athletic director Tom Mullahey, Bayonne High athletic director Michael Pierson and Dickinson High athletic director Rich Nisbet.

"Let's face it, they were collecting information from both myself and Rich. Neither one of us disagreed on what happened," said Millar, adding that he doesn't think other sports teams at Kearny should be punished.

"I think the league will be very reasonable."

In my opinion, the Kearny students followed the example of another group in town. The Kearny firemen are cowards and are intellectually challenged and the kids are just following in their foot steps. Kearny should pay the kids over $100K a year, benefits, a pension, and all will even out. They can even join the firemens' union and yell, "Me first," when asked in what order they would like to drop out of school. Do the high school kids get a pension for life when they are expelled from school for doing drugs like the firemen? How can anyone expect the kids to try and do better when this is their example in life?

Before the season Kearny requested that they be allowed to continue playing in the lower less competitive group within the HCIAL. That request was denied by the HCIAL board forcing Kearny to play in the top level within the HCIAL conference. Who was the president of the board that made that decision knowing full well his team would in all likely hood his team would be playing Kearny? That's right SPPs own coach Hansen, hmmmmm think somebody wanted to pad his power points????????

Guest K-Football Parent Grad

Speaking from someone whose son had played for Kearny High Football, it is a disgrace of what has been done to this football team recently. A few years back it was deemed from the Kearny's athletic director that Kearny was not in the same league as teams from Elizabeth, Union, and Westfield when it came to football. Yet for years these kids did play those schools, and I repeat did play. The decision to change divisions was done to that Kearny could be more competitive and that was how this was "suppose" to be. This program was doomed from the moment this athletic director made this schedule way before this season was started and for anyone who doesn’t believe it look at Kearny’s schedule.

Kearny started their season against Columbia who is currently 2-0 and plays in a division with Livingston (who they just beat), Bloomfield, East Orange, Seton Hall Prep, Nutley and Irvington. These are teams out of Kearny's league and this team should not have been scheduled. After getting their helmets bashed in they get to play Bayonne who might be the only legitimate team of their caliber and lose 48-0. They still have to play excellent football teams such a Northern Valley Regional in Demarest (someone tell me why Kearny is playing a Regional High School anyway), North Bergen who also plays and competes with Saint Peter's Prep. And finally to top it off, their supposedly 9th game is still to be determined (TBD).

The Kearny Athletic Director should be accountable for this atrocity. The downfall of this program was doomed before these students even had their first practice. To say that this is because of the "interim" Superintendent Ron Bolandi is a joke. For our athletic director to say that our football program is not very good publically is an embarrassment Kearny and am embarrassment to himself. If its broken, fix it! As long as we do not have a Superintendant of School, then no accountability will be taken for this athletic director or any of his actions. Something really needs to be done. Kearny football will forever have a black mark on it because of the position he put these student/athletes in.

Guest Grad football parent

Speaking from someone whose son had played for Kearny High Football, it is a disgrace of what has been done to this football team recently. A few years back it was deemed from the Kearny's athletic director that Kearny was not in the same league as teams from Elizabeth, Union, and Westfield when it came to football. Yet for years these kids did play those schools, and I repeat did play. The decision to change divisions was done to that Kearny could be more competitive and that was how this was "suppose" to be. This program was doomed from the moment this athletic director made this schedule way before this season was started and for anyone who doesn’t believe it look at Kearny’s schedule.

Kearny started their season against Columbia who is currently 2-0 and plays in a division with Livingston (who they just beat), Bloomfield, East Orange, Seton Hall Prep, Nutley and Irvington. These are teams out of Kearny's league and this team should not have been scheduled. After getting their helmets bashed in they get to play Bayonne who might be the only legitimate team of their caliber and lose 48-0. They still have to play excellent football teams such a Northern Valley Regional in Demarest (someone tell me why Kearny is playing a Regional High School anyway), North Bergen who also plays and competes with Saint Peter's Prep. And finally to top it off, their supposedly 9th game is still to be determined (TBD).

The Kearny Athletic Director should be accountable for this atrocity of scheduling. There was no effort and thought put forth. The downfall of this program was doomed before these students even had their first practice. To say that this is because of the "interim" Superintendent Ron Bolandi is a joke. For our athletic director to say that our football program is not very good publically is an embarrassment Kearny and am embarrassment to himself. If its broken, fix it! As long as we do not have a Superintendant of School, then no accountability will be taken for this athletic director or any of his actions. Something really needs to be done. Kearny football will forever have a black mark on it because of the position he put these student/athletes in.

When is it ever a good idea to give kids the idea that its OK to quit in the face of adversity?- I believe this is just one more example of a horrible school system getting it wrong and miserably failing its students along the way.

Guest Kearny athletic supporter

What was the outcome of the canceled game? Is the team still playing and getting their a** kicked? It has to be a thrill to be on a team that would have a hard time beating a

quality team. No one likes to lose.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Proud Parent

Your ignorance shows in every statement you make. This was not a game cancelled by the players. Actually the players had no say at all. My opinion is that the game should NOT have been cancelled,but i also believe that St. Peter's Prep does NOT belong in this league. For a private school which recruits it's players to play in a league with public schools which cannot recruit, creates an unfair playing field.

If you would like to make statements about the player's wearing skirts or cancelling the program, please come to the next home game this Friday 10/19/12 @ 7:00 pm and voice your ignorant opinion directly to the parents of the players. We sit in the top row near the south side 40 yard line.

We will be waiting for you.

Your ignorance shows in every statement you make. This was not a game cancelled by the players. Actually the players had no say at all. My opinion is that the game should NOT have been cancelled,but i also believe that St. Peter's Prep does NOT belong in this league. For a private school which recruits it's players to play in a league with public schools which cannot recruit, creates an unfair playing field.

If you would like to make statements about the player's wearing skirts or cancelling the program, please come to the next home game this Friday 10/19/12 @ 7:00 pm and voice your ignorant opinion directly to the parents of the players. We sit in the top row near the south side 40 yard line.

;) Where is the "Like" button?

Amen! The coward who posst things about kids on here would never have the balls to come talk to the parents about their kids. And they have the nerve to question the honor of these kids when they lack the testicular fortitude themselves.

By the way, the real culprit is the Athletic Director, he has to go....

I played football at KHS from 1998-2001 the coaches should quit and yes Kearny should fire their AD football is a violent game if it wasn't it would be SOCCER I bet no one in kearny would want a soccer win just handed to them Mr. SOMA would have wished us luck and coach O would have had us never give up this is what happens when you let soccer minds run the football team to bad kearny used to have balls no matter the score this is just a sad situation the school put these young men in who busted there ass all summer and they made them look like wimps