Searching for Objectivity and Fact Checks: Upcoming elections

Guest Concerned Citizen

Guest Concerned Citizen

I am a long time resident of Kearny, and admittedly have never been very involved in the "goings on" in town. I am a parent and have not had very good experiences with the current BOE. I understand I can add my voice to some possible changes this November in that regard. This sparked the desire to get more involved in town, in general. I want to understand what is happening to our town. I want to be more involved and impactful because I am raising my children here. My family has been in this town for 3 generations and I am not thrilled with raising my family here. I want that to change and I do not want to move out of town and give up on Kearny. I see a lot of opinions back and forth specific to BOE members/elections, but I want to research information from an objective source so I can come to my own decision based on facts (and not others' opinions) with who I feel would best represent my voice. I realized I have no idea what our local government has done (good, bad or indifferent) and want to change that. Can anyone recommend the best way to get more involved and more information without being tainted by one side or the other? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Sincerely,

Concerned citizen willing and wanting to do their part to make this a better place for all.

I am a long time resident of Kearny, and admittedly have never been very involved in the "goings on" in town. I am a parent and have not had very good experiences with the current BOE. I understand I can add my voice to some possible changes this November in that regard. This sparked the desire to get more involved in town, in general. I want to understand what is happening to our town. I want to be more involved and impactful because I am raising my children here. My family has been in this town for 3 generations and I am not thrilled with raising my family here. I want that to change and I do not want to move out of town and give up on Kearny. I see a lot of opinions back and forth specific to BOE members/elections, but I want to research information from an objective source so I can come to my own decision based on facts (and not others' opinions) with who I feel would best represent my voice. I realized I have no idea what our local government has done (good, bad or indifferent) and want to change that. Can anyone recommend the best way to get more involved and more information without being tainted by one side or the other? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Sincerely,

Concerned citizen willing and wanting to do their part to make this a better place for all.

For one thing, the candidates for BOE should have real debates, not the silliness of vetted written questions that don't lead to any real discussion. The current format is as though they were discussing classified national security issues.