Vehicular Manslaughter

Guest Hamilton St.

Guest Hamilton St.

Vehicular manslaughter on Hamilton Street will be a future headline in The Observer if something is not done soon to stop the excessive speeding on Hamilton St that lies between Davis Ave and Kingsland Ave. I live in this area with small kids and witness the constant disregard for the speed limit and pedestrians from morning until night. There is a speed limit sign posted that reads 12 MPH, which is a joke. Drivers easily travel 40 to 50 mph. It is the longest stretch of road between 2 traffic lights in Harrison, which give the drivers plenty of time to gain speed to make the upcoming green light. There is a right turn onto Hiram Place in the middle of the block and drivers barely slow down and look when making the turn. There has been a lot of close calls with people crossing at that corner. Majority are children.

This area sees a lot of morning and evening commuter traffic, many are young drivers going to and from the high school and even late at night you can hear the cars flying down the street. It's a nightmare waiting to happen.

Added to this is the heavy pedestrian traffic all hours of the day, being situated between Washington school and the high school. I know of 2 accidents just in the past year, one of them involving a small boy on a bike. I would suggest at least 2 speed bumps placed at various intervals to break up the long block. I will be contacting the police traffic dept and I will be speaking to the residents on the street about getting a petition together and presenting it to our ward's councilmen. I urge anyone who reads this that lives in this area to do the same before something horrible happens. It is not much to ask for.

Guest Guest

I agree that there is a lot of speeding on that area of Hamilton street, perhaps the drivers are ticked off though...... every trafic light, on almost every corner is out of sync..... it takes forever to get across town due to all the red lights.

Guest A Pedestrian

That does not sound like much to ask for to save lives. And Please get the kind of speed bumps that North Arlington has, Not the joke of a speed bump consisting of a few adhesive strips.

Guest suspenders.

I doubt Big Raymond will do anything about this, He lives on a very quiet street clear across town , Where there is hardly any speeding traffic. Face it people, they don't care about us., or our kids. Shiny ,new, green money is nice though. It would be real easy to have a police car parked there to monitor the traffic and see if your report has merit.

Guest Arthur Cho

As a lifelong Harrison citizen that stretch of Hamilton ave has Always been a speeders dream and always dangerous. There are no councilmen living by it.So that means nothing will be done. Get video of the speeders, bring it to the August Town meeting. Maybe Mayor Ray will take the issue seriously. Maybe.

Guest guest

Vehicular manslaughter on Hamilton Street will be a future headline in The Observer if something is not done soon to stop the excessive speeding on Hamilton St that lies between Davis Ave and Kingsland Ave. I live in this area with small kids and witness the constant disregard for the speed limit and pedestrians from morning until night. There is a speed limit sign posted that reads 12 MPH, which is a joke. Drivers easily travel 40 to 50 mph. It is the longest stretch of road between 2 traffic lights in Harrison, which give the drivers plenty of time to gain speed to make the upcoming green light. There is a right turn onto Hiram Place in the middle of the block and drivers barely slow down and look when making the turn. There has been a lot of close calls with people crossing at that corner. Majority are children.

This area sees a lot of morning and evening commuter traffic, many are young drivers going to and from the high school and even late at night you can hear the cars flying down the street. It's a nightmare waiting to happen.

Added to this is the heavy pedestrian traffic all hours of the day, being situated between Washington school and the high school. I know of 2 accidents just in the past year, one of them involving a small boy on a bike. I would suggest at least 2 speed bumps placed at various intervals to break up the long block. I will be contacting the police traffic dept and I will be speaking to the residents on the street about getting a petition together and presenting it to our ward's councilmen. I urge anyone who reads this that lives in this area to do the same before something horrible happens. It is not much to ask for.

It is definitely a major concern. I live on this street too and see the cars flying by. They put down those white strips on the road but you can barely feel them when you drive over them. Our concilmen are never visible unless its relection time and they definitley never do anything for their ward or get out there and talk to their constituents to hear their concerns. This would be the first time they can do something to make a genuine difference and show they care, even if its bullsh*t and done just for re-election votes. We'll take it.

Guest Good luck

It is definitely a major concern. I live on this street too and see the cars flying by. They put down those white strips on the road but you can barely feel them when you drive over them. Our concilmen are never visible unless its relection time and they definitley never do anything for their ward or get out there and talk to their constituents to hear their concerns. This would be the first time they can do something to make a genuine difference and show they care, even if its bullsh*t and done just for re-election votes. We'll take it.

The concilmen and woman in Harrison are nothing more than a title position with no real purpose but to go along with the machine that is Raymond. They show no interest in the community and for the most part are all ghosts unless they might get their picture in the paper or its re-election time and that is a fact! Then they are all handshakes and smiles. When was the last time you saw a councilmen serving his ward on his own time with no big announcement of an event. I'm in the 4th ward now for over 20 years and have never seen our 2 current councilmen ever on the streets together without the mayor and the other cronies pitching for votes. Organize a meeting of the ward to hear our voices, plan a block party, start nieghborhood watch communites in the wards. Its a great way to bring people together and maybe Harrisonians can get to know their nighbors like we use to when the town was safer. In short, nothing decent is done without a hidden agenda. The problem you speak of on Hamilton Street will remain a problem.

Guest Ricky Ricardo

watch your kids and keep them out of the street

Guest u tool

it took 8 replys to get an idiot to comment. That's pretty good.

looks like Ricardo has been dropping stupid comments all over the message board. People were finally seriously discussing a topic

and this tool had to have nothing better to do but be stupid.

Guest Big Willie

R.R has a point, Parents are very laxed with watching out for their kids. You always see a family of four walking down the sidewalk like this. Mother has her head down and her nose buried in her phone. Father is five feet away puffing out his chest like he's still in high school, looking at and ogling over every woman that passes by. And the kids are halfway up the block running in between cars unchecked, un cared for. un supervised. Face it parents, you do not give a damn about your kids. Did you have the kids to keep up with the Joneses.? Mommy is that text so important to send? Daddy is that other woman's backside so important. Did you hear the speeding car whiz by you two, trying to catch the yellow light? Were those car screeching tires? Are your children crying in pain on the way to the emergency room? Did this scenario bother you? Good you lazy bastards

Guest Ricky Ricardo

it took 8 replys to get an idiot to comment. That's pretty good.

looks like Ricardo has been dropping stupid comments all over the message board. People were finally seriously discussing a topic

and this tool had to have nothing better to do but be stupid.

whats so stupid about those comments, if your a real parent, with a real issue, stand outside of your house and watch your child play on the sidewalk instead of sitting inside the house on kearnyontheweb bitching about issues you could fix yourself....

stupid comment? stupid parenting...

Guest Ricky Ricardo Jr

My parents always watched me when i played outside, they did a good job parenting me, back then there was no internet, there was no website to B**ch and complain. I never got hit by any cars

- Ricky Ricardo Jr

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hamilton St.

My parents always watched me when i played outside, they did a good job parenting me, back then there was no internet, there was no website to B**ch and complain. I never got hit by any cars

- Ricky Ricardo Jr

I started this topic in the hopes that atttention would be given to the illegal speeding that is a constant on my street with a recently high accident rate. This topic has nothing whatsover to do with my parenting. I'm not only concerned for my kids, but other kids commuting to school and for anyone walking the street. I do my job as a parent and as a town resident. I'm using the internet and this site as one way to hopefully bring about some change. That's why I'm complaing and bitching as you put it. This forum is to put out a statement so that it becomes publicly known. I'm not sitting here talking sh*t about the mayor and council or who in town is doing drugs or other pointless gossip. This was a genuine concern. What kind of person are you to interpret what I originally posted and state that I must be a bad parent to be concerned for my family and other people. So you are stating that it is fine that cars are running yellow and red lights and doubling the speed limit down a street where 2 schools stand only 3 blocks apart? You are either bored and want to stir the pot or just an angry sad person. Either way your post is meaningless.

Glad to hear you were lucky never to get hit by a car as a kid. Doesn't mean it didn't happen to anyone else way back when you were a kid. You could have been a kid in the early 90s. The internet hasn't been around that long. There were other ways to bring attention to a matter, or to b*tch and complain in your words, besides the internet. Just one way to try

and help a situation.

And Big Willie, it's not the parents walking with their kids and texting that is the problem, it's the idiots in their cars texting and talking on cell phones instead of paying attention to the road. The one accident of the boy getting hit on his bike while crossing in the walkway while he had the right away was the result of a woman on her phone not paying attention. It could have been anyone who got hit, child or adult.