Why not the Harrison Fire Dept.

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

"

NEW BRUNSWICK — Local firefighters could be subject to a new randomized drug screening program in the coming weeks, officials say.

City officials are meeting tomorrow to discuss final implementation of the policy, said Robert Rawls, the city’s fire director. The unions are in favor of the policy as well, Rawls said.

“The unions are as excited as the administration is,” Rawls said. “They don’t want a few bad apples to spoil the bunch.”

Rawls said there have been a few disciplinary actions related to drugs in the fire department, but they have been minor, and not led to any firings.

The random drug testing policy was voiced by a member of the public at the July 18 council meeting, said City Spokesman Russell Marchetta. However, the city’s fire director said the plans had already been in the works for months or more – and tomorrow’s meeting was already scheduled on the calendar.

Most police and fire departments already have random drug testing policies in place, said Matthew Weng, staff attorney for the New Jersey State League of Municipalities. The League has studied the municipal codes of a cross-section of half the municipalities in New Jersey, and the vast majority of them have random drug testing already in place, Weng said. The others mostly have “reasonable suspicion” policies – meaning that workers who are exhibiting suspicious behavior can be tested at will, the lawyer said.

New Brunswick already has that “reasonable suspicion” testing policy in place, Rawls said."

Per NJ.com, 7/24/2012

The city council could approve a random drug testing policy as soon as next month, added Marchetta.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ophelia Rass

Mayor McD**ba** and the firemen have threatened to sue the state if asked to be drug tested. New Brunswick firemen are actual MEN and are not afraid to pee in a cup. In my opinion, if there were to be drug testing at the Harrison Fire Department, there wouldn't be enough firemen left to man a motorcycle, never mind a fire engine.

Guest Guest

You know I've been reading the posts on this site & I've done some #'s crunching. The budget for police & fire are around $2.7 million each, but for argument sake we will round it to $3 million. So for each resident that is about $100.00 per year for coverage for each ,so $200.00 for both police & fire per year. If you break that down it is around $.30 a day or $.60 a day for both. It would cost an additional $.05 X 2 to add additional manpower for both. At $.75 a day to keep the public safe, less than a cup of coffee, I most certainly think that is worth the cost. They both do a fine job & have made some sacrifices during tough times for the town, I think it is time to start rebuilding our public safety forces.

Guest guest

The fire Dept. vacation club budget is approx. $3 million/year. Drug testing the clubhouse clowns would be almost free. In my opinion, there would only be 2 clowns left at the frathouse after the testing so the budget would go down to $300,000 in salaries + $50,000 for benefits. The total would be then be $350,000. If you get rid of the two non-drug users for cowardice you have a volunteer dept. I say drug test, take the $3 million to lobby for the Feds to come to town and raid town hall and arrest the politicians. Once the corruption is weeded out it would probably result in $10 million in savings. That's real results.

Guest Xavier

Drug tests for All town of Harrison employees, Make it manditory for all employees . Very easy. Make them pay for the tests if they like the money they will do it.

You know I've been reading the posts on this site & I've done some #'s crunching. The budget for police & fire are around $2.7 million each, but for argument sake we will round it to $3 million. So for each resident that is about $100.00 per year for coverage for each ,so $200.00 for both police & fire per year. If you break that down it is around $.30 a day or $.60 a day for both. It would cost an additional $.05 X 2 to add additional manpower for both. At $.75 a day to keep the public safe, less than a cup of coffee, I most certainly think that is worth the cost. They both do a fine job & have made some sacrifices during tough times for the town, I think it is time to start rebuilding our public safety forces.

You have been doing poor research apparently.

For 2012 - Budget for Fire Department Salaries = $3,599,500 plus then you have the other costs of the department... this is ONLY salaries.

For 2012 - Budget for Police Department Salaries = $5,045,400 plus then you have all the other costs of the department... again this is ONLY salaries

Where did you get your research from? I got my direct from their budget.

I do agree with you on one point, they need to increase manpower in both departments. It is in the best interest for the safety of the community. How to do that is the question. But it needs to be done.

The Harrison Fire Department has reported year after year that they "put down" (that a cool firemen term) 300 + fires/year in Harrison.

Only $4 million per year in just salaries is a bargain. I say that harrison should not hire more firemen. They should give the current firemen $8 million per year in salaries alone for their brave and selfless service. An average salary of $300,000 to $430,000 per fireman each year is very reasonable along with 20% annual raises. The town just got a ton of money from Red Bull taxes. I haven't seen a dime of it going towards improving services or lowering property taxes so that is as good a waste as any other suggestion. Instead of drug testing, drug PURCHASING can become a line item in the towns budget.

Guest concern citizen

Your telling me,that the budget for the FIRE DEPT. IS 3.5 MILLION DOLLARS AND HALF OF THAT BUDGET IS TO PAY PEOPLE TO SLEEP. The first thing that should be done is remove those beds from the firehouse!

Guest Guest

How can the town possibly remove the beds? If the firemen fall down while they are drunk or high what are they going to land on? That will just create a bigger burden to the already many thousands of firemen already on fake-ass disability by the rubber stamping PFRS.

Guest Guest

The Harrison Fire Department has reported year after year that they "put down" (that a cool firemen term) 300 + fires/year in Harrison.

Only $4 million per year in just salaries is a bargain. I say that harrison should not hire more firemen. They should give the current firemen $8 million per year in salaries alone for their brave and selfless service. An average salary of $300,000 to $430,000 per fireman each year is very reasonable along with 20% annual raises. The town just got a ton of money from Red Bull taxes. I haven't seen a dime of it going towards improving services or lowering property taxes so that is as good a waste as any other suggestion. Instead of drug testing, drug PURCHASING can become a line item in the towns budget.

Edited by KOTW
Empty post

Not just to sleep. In addition, they get paid to cook, barbecue, suntan, eat, sh**, and watch TV on large screen plasma TV's with top shelf cable and computer access paid for by the residents. They also get a generous clothing allowance but their laudry is picked-up, cleaned and delivered folded and pressed by a premium laundry service. They call the residents, "nothings." That's what happens when you only come to Harrison 80 days of the year for your part-time $150,000 title (not job), lock yourself behind bolt-locked firehouse doors, and don't see daylight until it's time to go home after an 18 hour slumber fest.

Guest Dr. Heywood Jablowme Jr.

They don't only sleep, be reasonable. They also drink, watch TV, sleep with their boyfriends , barbecue, and defecate. The also cuddle for that lonely feeling at night. What the HFD should do is make a " Firemen of Harrison" calender with the proceeds going to the McDonough for Mayor Campaign. They can sell them on Christopher St. in NYC for the best possible buck.