Fire Department

Guest Gorgon

Guest Gorgon

A DC insider says the term "Sleeper Cells" related to terrorist groups was originally a joke term for Hudson County Fire Departments and their underachieving staffs. Has Kearny started busting up the over the top heavy promotionfest at the FD yet? Chopping the legs off of this runaway money pit is the Mayors best move since being in office. Over a $10 million dollar price tag a sad bunch of overweight useless losers are consuming is not a well oiled machine. All salaries should be cut by 50% and the town can get a much better group of unskilled laborers at the clubhouses then it currently employs. Keep up the good work Mayor and a volunteer dept. is the light at the end of this wastefull tunnel.

Guest Guest

Most of these overpaid,underworked,out of shape losers don't live in Kearny.They could give two craps what happens to the people in town.They go home to their houses in South Jersey where most of the towns have volunteer fire departments.I'ts ok for them to live in a town with a volunteer fire department so they don't have to pay unheard of salaries to people who are willing to do the same job as them for no salary. Wake up "FIREBOYS" the party is over.

Most of these overpaid,underworked,out of shape losers don't live in Kearny.They could give two craps what happens to the people in town.They go home to their houses in South Jersey where most of the towns have volunteer fire departments.I'ts ok for them to live in a town with a volunteer fire department so they don't have to pay unheard of salaries to people who are willing to do the same job as them for no salary. Wake up "FIREBOYS" the party is over.

There are not enough people willing to volunteer in Kearny to be firefighters... This is why we need a career department... Kearny is not as slow as you guys make them out to be... East Newark takes Kearny residents as volunteers and it's not like the hoards are banging down there doors to serve the west hudson area...

Guest Kearny Senior

There are not enough people willing to volunteer in Kearny to be firefighters... This is why we need a career department... Kearny is not as slow as you guys make them out to be... East Newark takes Kearny residents as volunteers and it's not like the hoards are banging down there doors to serve the west hudson area...

Doc, you don't need to explain anything to Barney, he's just a bitter wannabe FF. He has a need to come on KOTW and whine. We should all just feel sorry for poor poor Barney.

Guest Guest

It sounds to me like Doc 13mets is the biggest "Fireboy" wanna be in the whole world.Hey Doc why don't you start your own volunteer FD. That way you can fulfill your every "Fireboy" fantasy.You and Kearny Senior can run around the frathouse eat, sleep and tell phony war stories to each other.

Guest Kearny Senior

It sounds to me like Doc 13mets is the biggest "Fireboy" wanna be in the whole world.Hey Doc why don't you start your own volunteer FD. That way you can fulfill your every "Fireboy" fantasy.You and Kearny Senior can run around the frathouse eat, sleep and tell phony war stories to each other.

Barney / Gorgon / Guest, you're such a dork.

Guest Guest

Ok, this question has been asked at least a dozen times, and so far NOBODY has given an answer. We no longer have a Volunteer Ambulance because they couldnt get enough people to staff One Ambulance 24/7/365. If we couldnt get enough volunteers for that WHO do you expect to fight fires if you do away with "The Frat Houses" as you put them??

Guest *NUNYA*

Like Doc said, the East Newark FD is a 100% Volunteer dept that accepts residents from East Newark, Harrison & Kearny. Put your money where your mouth is and go ahead & volunteer (I'll drop my pay check that you won't have the balls to do so, candy a$$). The ENFD alone is very short in man-power, about 25-30 members!!! People join and quit before you know it (ITS A TREMENDOUS BURDEN). For Kearny to have a volunteer squad you would need 200+ volunteers considering how busy they are. ITS NOT GONNA HAPPEN! Y It takes alot of time, commitment and dedication to be a volunteer FF. You WILL go late to work, LEAVE WORK EARLY, many times go on 2-3 hours sleep (IF THAT!!), spend countless hours at the station and dangerous incidents, your wife/husband will not see you as much, do you have children? Doing homework with your child? Then get paged for a fire? Coloring, building puzzles, lego's, games with the children when a fire comes in? Eating a civilized dinner w/ the family? Instantly STOP & Drop what you're doing to respond... like its been said by the people that know the deal, volunteering is NOT something the average person can do or will do. With the shortage that the Harrison FD is currently experiencing with FF's and Kearny is about to shutdown one of their fire companies, the ENFD will be busier than ever..which means, less time spending home with the wifre/husband children, less sleep at night -- it WILL impact your job, 100% GAURANTEED. And all of that... for free, FREE.

Guest Guest

What dangerous situation? Squirting a water hose from a safe distance away onto a fire is not too dangerous for anyone. The Harrison FD is even too afraid to pee into a cup for a drug test. That must be the danger you are talking about. I cannot see how Harrison is short handed. If they cut all the money they pay for so much rank, such as way too many Captains, Battalion Chiefs, etc. then they could hire more fireman, same situation as Kearny. If 15 guys are on duty why do they need a DC, 3 Batt. Chiefs, 6 Captains, and only 5 firemen? It is an intentionally arranged top heavy strategy to soak the taxpayers out of their money. The Kearny Mayor finally started to do the right thing and stop this madness. A 100 man fire Dept. needs 1 Chief, 1 DC, and about 10 Captains PERIOD. If any private business had 50 to 60% management to actual working employees they wouldn't last a week. I cannot believe that any overburdened taxpayers in Harrison or Kearny would agree that all of these management ranks are worth their sky high taxes. It's getting to the point that new employees should just start day 1 as a Captain and eliminate the fireman rank. Maybe then your taxes could go up another $1000.00 a year and you will be happier. Dispute that!!

What dangerous situation? Squirting a water hose from a safe distance away onto a fire is not too dangerous for anyone. The Harrison FD is even too afraid to pee into a cup for a drug test. That must be the danger you are talking about. I cannot see how Harrison is short handed. If they cut all the money they pay for so much rank, such as way too many Captains, Battalion Chiefs, etc. then they could hire more fireman, same situation as Kearny. If 15 guys are on duty why do they need a DC, 3 Batt. Chiefs, 6 Captains, and only 5 firemen? It is an intentionally arranged top heavy strategy to soak the taxpayers out of their money. The Kearny Mayor finally started to do the right thing and stop this madness. A 100 man fire Dept. needs 1 Chief, 1 DC, and about 10 Captains PERIOD. If any private business had 50 to 60% management to actual working employees they wouldn't last a week. I cannot believe that any overburdened taxpayers in Harrison or Kearny would agree that all of these management ranks are worth their sky high taxes. It's getting to the point that new employees should just start day 1 as a Captain and eliminate the fireman rank. Maybe then your taxes could go up another $1000.00 a year and you will be happier. Dispute that!!

This section is littered with ignorance and misstating fact while creating the authors own fiction. Kearny never has 4 chiefs on duty at any time so that whole line is outrageous (about DC, 3 Batt. Chiefs). Kearny currently operates with a Deputy Chief on duty 1 captain for each rig in service and 3-4 fireman per rig. This is appropriate staffing.

And as for standing from a distance and squirting water... well I guess you didn't see the Kearny Ave/Woodland Ave fire... the chestnut st fire... were both interior attacks... and Brighton Ave fire was also interior until conditions worsened. Williams St. fire in Harrison was another perfect example of an aggressive fire attack. So don't say any of those men were cowards.

And Harrison is very short handed. They are a 29 man department. But most days they only have enough firefighters on duty to put 3 men on 1 engine and 2 men on a second engine. This is what they have been forced to do. Harrison needs to be able to hire new firefighters immediately. Their lives and the lives of the residents depend on hiring!

Guest guest

Hire with what money? How many of those 29 COWARDS are Captain and above? If they are so worried about their lives then they should drop the ranks down to 3 Captains and 26 firemen. That would free up enough money to hire three more guys. Why didn't you address the issue of the self-proclaimed brave men shaking in their beds when asked to take a drug test? Very suspicious!

May as well concede defeat you'll never be able to type louder than the voices in this guys head are talking.

His hatred for Firefighters is only surpassed by his own self loathing and of course our own pitiful opinions of him.

Though I must say I do enjoy watching him make an a$$ of himself time and time again.

jus sayin

Hire with what money? How many of those 29 COWARDS are Captain and above? If they are so worried about their lives then they should drop the ranks down to 3 Captains and 26 firemen. That would free up enough money to hire three more guys. Why didn't you address the issue of the self-proclaimed brave men shaking in their beds when asked to take a drug test? Very suspicious!

Harrison FD has 5 Captains... 4 are tour commanders (and are doing the job of a B/C with out the pay they deserve) 1 is a Administrative/Training Captain... 3 captains makes no sense as you would need at least 4 (one for each shift) and the 1 admin doing all the behind the scenes work. These guys have given up enough. Get them the support they need so their aren't unnecessarily on the line every time they roll out the door.

Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about. The FACTS just put a foot in your mouth. And to Just sayin... I agree it's not worth it cause these people are nuts but I would not want them influencing anyone who doesn't know better.

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest

This section is littered with ignorance and misstating fact while creating the authors own fiction. Kearny never has 4 chiefs on duty at any time so that whole line is outrageous (about DC, 3 Batt. Chiefs). Kearny currently operates with a Deputy Chief on duty 1 captain for each rig in service and 3-4 fireman per rig. This is appropriate staffing.

And as for standing from a distance and squirting water... well I guess you didn't see the Kearny Ave/Woodland Ave fire... the chestnut st fire... were both interior attacks... and Brighton Ave fire was also interior until conditions worsened. Williams St. fire in Harrison was another perfect example of an aggressive fire attack. So don't say any of those men were cowards.

And Harrison is very short handed. They are a 29 man department. But most days they only have enough firefighters on duty to put 3 men on 1 engine and 2 men on a second engine. This is what they have been forced to do. Harrison needs to be able to hire new firefighters immediately. Their lives and the lives of the residents depend on hiring!

. I truly appreciate the information you submitted to this forum. Evidently your a fireman because only a fireman would have that type of information. In addition ,I like the way you didn't, tell us really how many people were in each rank. Now that your being so informitative , maybe you can tell me what other profession payes you to. SLEEP

Guest Guest

. I truly appreciate the information you submitted to this forum. Evidently your a fireman because only a fireman would have that type of information. In addition ,I like the way you didn't, tell us really how many people were in each rank. Now that your being so informitative , maybe you can tell me what other profession payes you to. SLEEP

Try joining the military, we get paid to sleep in the military. Or NJ Transit I know the over night mechanics get paid to sleep while on call and they only work 8 hours. Or maybe and EMT I know they are allowed to sleep on the over nights. Thats a few off of the top of my head. :)

Try joining the military, we get paid to sleep in the military. Or NJ Transit I know the over night mechanics get paid to sleep while on call and they only work 8 hours. Or maybe and EMT I know they are allowed to sleep on the over nights. Thats a few off of the top of my head. :)

The President also gets paid to sleep...