construction at KHS

Guest Concerned

Guest Concerned

How safe is the construction going on at KHS? Why are they even doing construction while school is in session. This disrupts the learning process. Also, staff and students are breathing in all of the dust which could be asbestos. This year there were a lot of students and staff that were sick with pneumonia or sinus issues. Would not be surprised if it has to do with the constructon. Unfortunately, no one seems to be concerned with the safety of those attending KHS.

Guest Guest

When will we be able to see the building without the grill work? Is there a completion date? The people doing the construction should be paying a penalty for not getting the job done on time, or did our B of E not put a penalty clause in the contract? One would think that you could construct a entire building from the foundation up in the time that it has taken to do the repairs. KHS was built with asbestos in the plaster (1920's - 1930's) and it could be causing the illnesses mentioned in the prior post.

When the elevator was installed in KHS years ago, asbestos was found in the plaster by the people in our science department. It was brought to the attention of the people in charge of the project but nothing was done to correct the problem. Like the World Trade Center disaster of 9/11/01, we will have to wait to see what problems develop in the future. With a little bit of luck, nothing of major concern, but who knows?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

There is also Lead based paint in the intire school..On Parent Teacher night I saw plaster with fungus growing out of my son classroom walls in the first floor..This is clearly a health danger to the students and teachers..Has any of the unqualified Board members ever been in the school...Someone respond please...

Guest Bob Vila

There is also Lead based paint in the intire school..On Parent Teacher night I saw plaster with fungus growing out of my son classroom walls in the first floor..This is clearly a health danger to the students and teachers..Has any of the unqualified Board members ever been in the school...Someone respond please...

The question is not has any unqualified Board members ever been in the school......, but rather has the unqualified personnel hired and paid to oversee and make the necessary repairs to the buildings doing their job? I guess the answer would be NO!

Guest Inquiring Minds

Dear Fab Five,

So you’re the new board of education that’s going to make all the necessary changes to make our schools better, right? Going to get rid of people who aren’t doing their jobs and replace them with someone better, right? Going to end politics and giving jobs to friends and family and making everything above board, right? So I guess Monday’s board meeting should serve as a template for what you guys are all about, right? You chose not to reappoint three employees. Chose to either remove them completely or send them back to lesser jobs, right? And I guess I can be assured you did that for the right and moral reasons of trying to make a better school district, right? Then why do I keep hearing whispers about the REAL reasons these three had to go?

Oh, come on, I’m sure you’ve heard them too. High School principal had to go because, well because, well, exactly why did she not get reappointed? Because she’s a Kearny girl who went all through the Kearny school system, returned to teach English at the High School for years and then left because she had small children to raise and the commute took her away from her parenting responsibilities? Or because she came back and tried to do her job with all the obstacles in her way (and I’m not just referring to the construction problems, I’m talking human obstacles too)? Or because she was a friend of that former superintendent that your crew seems to be so afraid of? Why? And are the rumors are true about you wanting a current VP at the high school to fill her place? Why, why, why?

Same thing for the VP at Franklin. One or more of you Fab Five had it in for him, right? Why? Oh, here comes that former superintendent rumor again. You know the one. That anybody with ties to HIM THAT MUST NOT BE NAMED has to go, right? Come on, you know what I’m talking about. If not, then why, why, why?

And let’s talk about the supervisor of buildings that got axed. Why? Wasn’t doing his job? But he was recommended by the superintendent, just like the other two. And you guys NEVER had a problem going along with the superintendent’s recommendations before, sort of like bobble-heads. Well, there’s another rumor about this one. That one of you, and I won’t name names- but the one that’s an electrician, actually applied for that same job and was not too happy that he didn’t get it, so I hear. Actually it’s rumored that was the deciding reason why the electrician ran for the BOE in the first place. Do you think that now that you’ve all managed to demote this supervisor that the electrician will somehow end up with that job? Or is that another rumor?

Oh yeah, you guys are a real breath of fresh air, making those necessary changes, concerned about education and the taxpayers of this town.

Yeah, right. Shame on all five of you. You’re not fab, you’re frauds.

Guest Guest

Dear Inquiring Mindless,

Apparently you made up your mind once again on untruths and inuendos. Mr. OMalley was asked to apply for the job and was told after he did that certain board ladies had made a deal to give the job to RE. They are the ones playing politics. If the Fab5 were going after the previous administrators appointments there would have been a helluva lot more people gone. Isn't it FACT that the 3 people taken out of there jobs were not doing a good job? I know this is hard to hear but just because you are friend and family does not guarantee you a position. This board seems to be placing quality people in place of politics

Guest False Whispers

Dear Fab Five,

So you’re the new board of education that’s going to make all the necessary changes to make our schools better, right? Going to get rid of people who aren’t doing their jobs and replace them with someone better, right? Going to end politics and giving jobs to friends and family and making everything above board, right? So I guess Monday’s board meeting should serve as a template for what you guys are all about, right? You chose not to reappoint three employees. Chose to either remove them completely or send them back to lesser jobs, right? And I guess I can be assured you did that for the right and moral reasons of trying to make a better school district, right? Then why do I keep hearing whispers about the REAL reasons these three had to go?

Oh, come on, I’m sure you’ve heard them too. High School principal had to go because, well because, well, exactly why did she not get reappointed? Because she’s a Kearny girl who went all through the Kearny school system, returned to teach English at the High School for years and then left because she had small children to raise and the commute took her away from her parenting responsibilities? Or because she came back and tried to do her job with all the obstacles in her way (and I’m not just referring to the construction problems, I’m talking human obstacles too)? Or because she was a friend of that former superintendent that your crew seems to be so afraid of? Why? And are the rumors are true about you wanting a current VP at the high school to fill her place? Why, why, why?

Same thing for the VP at Franklin. One or more of you Fab Five had it in for him, right? Why? Oh, here comes that former superintendent rumor again. You know the one. That anybody with ties to HIM THAT MUST NOT BE NAMED has to go, right? Come on, you know what I’m talking about. If not, then why, why, why?

And let’s talk about the supervisor of buildings that got axed. Why? Wasn’t doing his job? But he was recommended by the superintendent, just like the other two. And you guys NEVER had a problem going along with the superintendent’s recommendations before, sort of like bobble-heads. Well, there’s another rumor about this one. That one of you, and I won’t name names- but the one that’s an electrician, actually applied for that same job and was not too happy that he didn’t get it, so I hear. Actually it’s rumored that was the deciding reason why the electrician ran for the BOE in the first place. Do you think that now that you’ve all managed to demote this supervisor that the electrician will somehow end up with that job? Or is that another rumor?

Oh yeah, you guys are a real breath of fresh air, making those necessary changes, concerned about education and the taxpayers of this town.

Yeah, right. Shame on all five of you. You’re not fab, you’re frauds.

Well, let's say you are right about one thing, right, and that one thing you would be right about would be all the rhetoric you're hearing is nothing more than RUMORS. Rumors started a long time ago by people who do not want change. People who are use to having things given to them by their friends, right, like an entitlement, right? And let's just say, right, that these so called evil doers who are out to get everybody connected to that bad, bad ex-super, well if that was true at least (10) more people would have gotten that same ax, right? They know who they are, right? And they are probably asking themselves, why didn't they AX me, I was GIVEN my job by that bad, bad, ex-super and that old "puppet" BOE. Well maybe, just maybe they are doing a GOOD job, right? So, you see, the people that made these decisions are not after anybody, they are just doing what nobody else would do, because they are not being TOLD what to do, RIGHT?

Guest Inquiring Minds

No, wrong. There are several currently serving staff that COULD also be let go next year before they are tenured. Were the three who were axed NOT doing a good job? Depends on who you listen to, I guess, and I can guess who YOU'RE listening to. Bottom line, the CURRENT superintendent decided they were worthy of reappointment. Am I to believe that the Fab Five know better than the man they put in that position? What are their education credentials to make such an important decision about someone's career? Let me answer that. They don't have any credentials to make educational decisions, and other decisions for that matter. But please, try & convince me that it's all smoke and mirrors, that they've made several bad decisions for the good of the school system, that they know what they're doing. As for rumor and innuendo, please. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck ---- it's not rumor or innuendo, it's fact.

Guest Guest 2

Inquiring minds you are so right!!!!! They didn't want to make their political statement all at once; they have a plan. Ax someone who made tremendous improvements in multiple tests and their scores, and whose primary interest was the students; after all, that is what education is supposed to be about, isn't it? The Fab5 have personal, political agendas. Shame on them and woe to the taxpayers of Kearny. I hope the taxpayers and voters recall the Fab5 and their work ethic in the next board election, which they conveniently changed to November to put their get back at the bad man plot into action. Many heard them discussing their plan last fall and before. Gee, Guest, I guess you know the next 10 on the hit list! Oh, my, you slipped, didn't you; sounds like you were in on the plot.

Guest Mouse Police

So, you see, the people that made these decisions are not after anybody, they are just doing what nobody else would do, because they are not being TOLD what to do, RIGHT?

• MultiQuote

They are not being told what to do. True, since they think they know better than the superintendent who did recommend the reappointment of those 3 employees. They went rogue and purposely went after those 3 employees who have been on their hit list for months. Are you trying to say that they know better than the person THEY recruited and THEY hired as superintendent of schools? And they have more experience in evaulating these employees than the person THEY have supported for nearly a year who has 20 plus years of experience in education? You can believe what you want, but without a good, solid explanation of WHY they did what they did, I'll believe the rumors, just because they make more sense than your fairytales.

Edited by KOTW
Links removed from Quote and Multiquote because they were improperly linked.

Guest Guest

Isn't that the job of the superintendent - making personnel recommendations? Thought the BOE's job was to hire the superintendent. Sounds like they're confused about what their function is.

Guest Inquiring Minds

Dear Inquiring Mindless,

Apparently you made up your mind once again on untruths and inuendos. Mr. OMalley was asked to apply for the job and was told after he did that certain board ladies had made a deal to give the job to RE. They are the ones playing politics. If the Fab5 were going after the previous administrators appointments there would have been a helluva lot more people gone. Isn't it FACT that the 3 people taken out of there jobs were not doing a good job? I know this is hard to hear but just because you are friend and family does not guarantee you a position. This board seems to be placing quality people in place of politics

Dear Brainless One,

No, it isn't FACT that the 3 were not doing a good job. In FACT, there have not been any reasons given for this action at all, YET. But the FAB 5 will have to comply with the law and furnish to these employees exactly what the reasons are why they just aren't good enough for Kearny. And they better be specific, and they better be able to back up those reasons, because doing this to good people for your own twisted agenda is just plain wrong. So, we'll see just how much the FAB 5 care about the educational process that they were elected to oversee. And by the way, someone should remind the FAB 5 that they weren't voted into their positions by the good people of Kearny to NOT VOTE. If you feel so strongly about your issue, be man enough to stand up for it & not hide behind your big fat ABSTENTION.

Guest Fat or Not

Dear Brainless One,

No, it isn't FACT that the 3 were not doing a good job. In FACT, there have not been any reasons given for this action at all, YET. But the FAB 5 will have to comply with the law and furnish to these employees exactly what the reasons are why they just aren't good enough for Kearny. And they better be specific, and they better be able to back up those reasons, because doing this to good people for your own twisted agenda is just plain wrong. So, we'll see just how much the FAB 5 care about the educational process that they were elected to oversee. And by the way, someone should remind the FAB 5 that they weren't voted into their positions by the good people of Kearny to NOT VOTE. If you feel so strongly about your issue, be man enough to stand up for it & not hide behind your big fat ABSTENTION.

Is Mr. Doran one of the fab 5? He was a big fat abstenation on some of the same votes.

Guest Guest

Is Mr. Doran one of the fab 5? He was a big fat abstenation on some of the same votes.

his abstentions were based on family conflicts. both his mother & brother work for the boe. not a fab fiver.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kenwee, Screwum & Howe

Dear Brainless One,

I believe I smell law suits. Wait till you see what this costs the taxpayers of Kearny and takes dollars away from the educational system.