4th Responders

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

It is unreasonable and laughable to refer to the Harrison firemen as first responders. The first responders at any fire in Harrison are ALWAYS THE POLICE. The second responders are residents with fire extinguishers, and the third or fourth responders are the firemen. This is due to the fact that the firemen are in a deep period of sedation, and by the time they wake up and start driving the fire apparatus, they are usually going the wrong way and have to turn around. In 2010, the HFD reported an excess of 300 fires in Harrison. That is approximately one per day. I would love to see the actual addresses and statistics to support those numbers. To sum up my opinion, the HFD is completely useless.

To further illustrate my point, I would like to refer to the recent tragic fire in South Plainfield. It was reported on TV and in newspapers that the firemen saved the lives of several children. On several newscasts, it showed the house nearly burned to the ground and the people that lived there were clearly shown running out of the building on their own, with no firemen in sight. A helicopter view showed the children and others running out of the building without a fire engine anywhere in sight. When the fire chief and a captain were asked about the tragedy, the chief replied that his men (firemen) were his main objective because of their fragile state of mind due to the fire. There was not one mention in his response of the victims of the fire that burned to death. In my opinion, that was one of the sickest responses I have ever heard. Please stop referring to firemen as first responders as they are way down the list of the POLICE and the general public.

Guest Guest

In addition to the topic post, when any city/town in Hudson county promotes a Police Officer to Sgt. or Lt., it is front page news in all forms of media with every politician in that county bragging about how much safer the streets are going to be, including whenever a new Police Officer is hired, the same bizarre ritual is followed. The promotion is usually about $5,000. Conversely, when 8 to 15 fireman are promoted at one time to Captain, which averages a $25,000 per promotion raise (check your town for the amount) that would amount to $250,000 to $300,000 directly put on the property taxes of the citizens of the town involved. Probably 90% of these "Joe Heroes" don't live within 60 miles where they work their part time firemen's job. These promotions must be held in a dark basement Mob style so no one can get a picture or know about it. Every year the towns raise parking tickets about five buck$ due to financial difficulties while thinking nothing of handing out hundred$ of thou$and$ in unnece$$ary promotion$. In my opinion, where are the financial strains they claim to have?

Guest Harrison Taxpayer.

In addition to the topic post, when any city/town in Hudson county promotes a Police Officer to Sgt. or Lt., it is front page news in all forms of media with every politician in that county bragging about how much safer the streets are going to be, including whenever a new Police Officer is hired, the same bizarre ritual is followed. The promotion is usually about $5,000. Conversely, when 8 to 15 fireman are promoted at one time to Captain, which averages a $25,000 per promotion raise (check your town for the amount) that would amount to $250,000 to $300,000 directly put on the property taxes of the citizens of the town involved. Probably 90% of these "Joe Heroes" don't live within 60 miles where they work their part time firemen's job. These promotions must be held in a dark basement Mob style so no one can get a picture or know about it. Every year the towns raise parking tickets about five buck$ due to financial difficulties while thinking nothing of handing out hundred$ of thou$and$ in unnece$$ary promotion$. In my opinion, where are the financial strains they claim to have?

Barney, I'm sorry to hear you failed the Sgt.'s exam but you shouldn't be jealous of our brave firefighters because of your stupidity.