An Appointed or Elected Board of Education?

Guest Then and Now

Guest Then and Now

This is an often debated issue in New Jersey. Politics arise with both kinds of boards. Interestingly, John Leadbeater has said on this forum that he supports an appointed Board of Education. Yes, the same John Leadbeater who was elected to the Board of Education a few months after making that statement:

John Leadbeater posting on November 21, 2010:

I believe it is time for the Mayor to appoint the Board of Education individuals and hold him solely accountable.This way he cannot say he has nothing to do with the Board of Ed raising our taxes. For years we are told the council has nothing to do with the BOE yet everytime there is something of importance on the agaenda who shows up?

We must start to make tough decisions on essential service personnel before we reward our cronies. This is not the time to be neglecting Kearny families.

I urge the mayor and council to sit with the BOE and come up with reasonible cuts. Do we really need all the vice principles we have? How about ridding the town of all the out of towners that come here for education? Think of the savings to that alone. But I would venture to say noone will do that because the state gives money for every child in your system.

Guest Disappointed on Devon

This is an often debated issue in New Jersey. Politics arise with both kinds of boards. Interestingly, John Leadbeater has said on this forum that he supports an appointed Board of Education. Yes, the same John Leadbeater who was elected to the Board of Education a few months after making that statement:

John Leadbeater posting on November 21, 2010:

I believe it is time for the Mayor to appoint the Board of Education individuals and hold him solely accountable.This way he cannot say he has nothing to do with the Board of Ed raising our taxes. For years we are told the council has nothing to do with the BOE yet everytime there is something of importance on the agaenda who shows up?

We must start to make tough decisions on essential service personnel before we reward our cronies. This is not the time to be neglecting Kearny families.

I urge the mayor and council to sit with the BOE and come up with reasonible cuts. Do we really need all the vice principles we have? How about ridding the town of all the out of towners that come here for education? Think of the savings to that alone. But I would venture to say noone will do that because the state gives money for every child in your system.

Anyone know how many Vice Principals in the Kearny school district compared to last year? How about the number of student expulsions based on residency compared to last year?

Guest Kearny Taxpayer

No change in the number of Vice Principals or student expulsions. Do you really think it's about the issues with John Leadbeater? No, it's about his circle of friends.

Guest Disappointed on Devon

20 in a school district of 5,100 students? That's 0.0039%. That's a resounding failure.

By the way, I think you're on track to finishing with even fewer expulsions than last year.

Guest Fact Checker

When he was running for Board of Education, John Leadbeater posted on this site regularly, criticizing his opponents. Why doesn't he post now and tell us what's happened with the issues he ran on, like the number of Vice Principals and residency expulsions of students?

• 2 weeks later...