Unprofessional Board of Ed Members

Guest Kearny Voter

Guest Kearny Voter

At tonights BOE meeting held at KHS a handful of BOE members, who are elected officials of the public, failed to exercise proper judgement and did not stay for the completion of the meeting. Board members Mrs. McDonald, Mrs. Schalago, Mr. Doran and Mr. Viscuso walk out of an open public meeting just prior to a vote appointing a new interim superintendent for the School District. This was a disgrace! They should resign their positions and appoint replacements who will carry out the will of the voters. As elected officials they are to vote for topics brought up as they were put there to do by the voters of Kearny. If they refuse to take part in the business of the BOE they should be removed! This act was tasteless, unprofessional, immature and senseless.........GROW UP!

Guest Guest

The only disgrace at the KBOE meeting the other night were the FABFive BOE members. Board President George King and board members Paul Castelli, John Leadbeater, Robert O'Malley, and John Plaugic put their own interests and politics in front of our children's needs. As elected officials of the public, they failed to exercise proper judgement when they voted to hire an Interim Superintendent with close personal ties to Robert O'Malley's cousin, Dr. Richard O'Malley of the Edison School District. Dr. O'Malley was interviewed by Mr. Ronald Bolandi and was subsequently hired for the position of Superintendent of the Edison district. Mr. Bolandi was then hired to mentor Dr. O'Malley in his new position.

It's ironic that Mr. Bolandi was the FABFive's choice as the new Interim Superintendent. No advertisement, no other applicants, no selection process, just Mr. Bolandi. No one can say that this wasn't a political payback. So much for transparancy and openness. The FABFive can't even come to a consensus on how Mr. Bolandi came to apply for the position. It's a big but unguarded secret. The whole process was highly unusual and seems pretty questionable.

I give Board members McDonald, Schalago, Doran and Viscuso a lot of credit for walking out. I wouldn't want to be involved with something as shady as this. I wouldn't want to be associated with anything that could be deemed illegal. More board members should have the courage to stand up and do the right thing, even if it means standing up and walking out.

Guest Guest

I believe Kearny Voter has it backwards. I applaud those board members that left the meeting. The current board majority, the five members that remained at the meeting are the disgrace. They stayed to vote and force down the throats of the school district and taxpayers of Kearny the appointment of an interem superintendent without doing a search to see who else was out there or interested in the position. Without interviewing anyone else for the position. Without researching this person's history or credentials.

For one reason only. BECAUSE HE IS A FRIEND OF BOARD MEMBER ROBERT O'MALLEY'S COUSIN.

It is obvious what the current board majority is all about. JOBS AND FAVORS FOR FRIENDS. And at what cost? $5,000.00 per week.

The same crew that preached accountablility and fiscal responsibility.

SHAME ON THESE FIVE.

Guest Guest

Does anyone know who the "Interim Superintendent" is?

The four board members who walked out, as they did not say whether they were not voting, then can we presume that they don't care and are going along with the majority? The missing four should rethink there obligation to be board members. If you don't like something, vote against the motion and that does not mean to leave the meeting.

Grow Up should be Stand Up for your convictions. If you don't like the score, you don't take your bat and glove and leave, you play on.

Guest Guest

At tonights BOE meeting held at KHS a handful of BOE members, who are elected officials of the public, failed to exercise proper judgement and did not stay for the completion of the meeting. Board members Mrs. McDonald, Mrs. Schalago, Mr. Doran and Mr. Viscuso walk out of an open public meeting just prior to a vote appointing a new interim superintendent for the School District. This was a disgrace! They should resign their positions and appoint replacements who will carry out the will of the voters. As elected officials they are to vote for topics brought up as they were put there to do by the voters of Kearny. If they refuse to take part in the business of the BOE they should be removed! This act was tasteless, unprofessional, immature and senseless.........GROW UP!

What you don't realize when you post stuff like this is that most of us don't buy your conclusions at face value. Present facts and let us decide for ourselves. Of course, if we had a newspaper that actually covered the news in Kearny, we wouldn't have to find out on an internet chat board - but we don't. There's not a word in the Observer. This is real news and obviously there is a strong disagreement on the Board. Shame on the owners and reporters at the Observer for saying nothing about this.

I'm no fan of the Kearny BOE but the people you name wouldn't walk out of a meeting without one helluva reason. I'm very concerned now about this appointment, especially seeing who voted for it. I hope the dissenters will tell us why they walked out - if that's an accurate account. I want to know more, and I mean facts, not just the spin from the obviously biased supporters of one side. The people of Kearny are entitled to know the facts and the arguments on both sides.

Guest Wrong Info

The only disgrace at the KBOE meeting the other night were the FABFive BOE members. Board President George King and board members Paul Castelli, John Leadbeater, Robert O'Malley, and John Plaugic put their own interests and politics in front of our children's needs. As elected officials of the public, they failed to exercise proper judgement when they voted to hire an Interim Superintendent with close personal ties to Robert O'Malley's cousin, Dr. Richard O'Malley of the Edison School District. Dr. O'Malley was interviewed by Mr. Ronald Bolandi and was subsequently hired for the position of Superintendent of the Edison district. Mr. Bolandi was then hired to mentor Dr. O'Malley in his new position.

It's ironic that Mr. Bolandi was the FABFive's choice as the new Interim Superintendent. No advertisement, no other applicants, no selection process, just Mr. Bolandi. No one can say that this wasn't a political payback. So much for transparancy and openness. The FABFive can't even come to a consensus on how Mr. Bolandi came to apply for the position. It's a big but unguarded secret. The whole process was highly unusual and seems pretty questionable.

I give Board members McDonald, Schalago, Doran and Viscuso a lot of credit for walking out. I wouldn't want to be involved with something as shady as this. I wouldn't want to be associated with anything that could be deemed illegal. More board members should have the courage to stand up and do the right thing, even if it means standing up and walking out.

Mr. Bolandi came to a Board meeting and spoke to the Board. ALL 8 members who were at the meeting were IMPRESSED by the guy and unamimously agreed he would be the interim. NOW THERE IS PROBLEMS??????

bY THE WAY BERNADETTE, Mr. Bolandi did NOT mentor Dr. O"malley in Edison, Dr O"malley was a Super in 2 other districts before Edison. Get your facts straight!!!!

Guest Goose and Gander

It's hard to have any empathy for you becasue Frank DiGesere's appointment as Superintendent in November 2009 was done the same way. There was no public and transparent process. No consideration of any other candidate in 2009.

What goes around comes around.

Guest guest

It was a disgrace that the board members did not post this position and this man was hired knowing absolutely nothing about our town. I thought nepitism isn't allowed but abviously you can be related to a Board Member and still be hired here! This applies to only selected people! It's said that he is here to hire certain people from the high school for jobs. People who canot do the job they were hired to do already. The taxpayers have to stand up and be "advocates for their children". You can't believe that just because someone has a degree means that they deserve the job that they have!

Guest Guest

What the FOOLish4 don't tell you is that they ALL SUPPORTED hiring Mr. Bolandi because they were impressed with him when he came to an OPEN PUBLIC meeting and spoke to the Board!

Guest Misinformation

I believe Kearny Voter has it backwards. I applaud those board members that left the meeting. The current board majority, the five members that remained at the meeting are the disgrace. They stayed to vote and force down the throats of the school district and taxpayers of Kearny the appointment of an interem superintendent without doing a search to see who else was out there or interested in the position. Without interviewing anyone else for the position. Without researching this person's history or credentials.

For one reason only. BECAUSE HE IS A FRIEND OF BOARD MEMBER ROBERT O'MALLEY'S COUSIN.

It is obvious what the current board majority is all about. JOBS AND FAVORS FOR FRIENDS. And at what cost? $5,000.00 per week.

SHAME ON THESE FIVE.

get you facts straight, (8) BOE members took part in an public meeting in which mr. Bolandi addressed the Board. All (8) board members thought mr. Bolandi was fantastic. Now, all of a sudden because mr. Sprague is not brought back after milking the district for $700.00 a day there is a problem. Mr. Bolandi is also not a friend of board member O'malley's cousin, he was the interim at Edison prior to O'malley's cousin getting hired in Edison...... a very BIG difference. Keep grasping for straws!

$5,000.00 a week....are you doing drugs? How about $645.00 per day...the maximum allowed by law, and $55.00 a day less than the current ASST SUPER, and almost $300.00 a day less than Mr. Degesere....FACT! WAKE UP!!!!

Guest Ur Wrong

Mr. Bolandi came to a Board meeting and spoke to the Board. ALL 8 members who were at the meeting were IMPRESSED by the guy and unamimously agreed he would be the interim. NOW THERE IS PROBLEMS??????

bY THE WAY BERNADETTE, Mr. Bolandi did NOT mentor Dr. O"malley in Edison, Dr O"malley was a Super in 2 other districts before Edison. Get your facts straight!!!!

The wrong info is that you got the Bernadette part wrong. I'm not her but I am a concerned parent that regularly attends board meetings. I am witnessing the district sink faster than the Titanic., all over purely political reasons. If I have to hear Leadbeater say one more time how he's going to fix the school district so that he can be mayor, I think I will vomit. At this rate, there won't be a school district left. Our children are being made pawns for purely political reasons. What King, O'Malley, Leadbeater and Plaugic are doing is deplorable. Hiring an interim superintendent with direct ties to Mr. O'Malley is wrong. Playing ignorance about it is inexcusable.

The board meeting you are referring to, is that the same board meeting that was held specifically to hire a firm to conduct the superintendent search?

And the same board meeting that Mr. Bolandi was presented to the board as A candidate (and not THE ONLY candidate) for interim superintendent without being on the advertised agenda?

And the same board meeting Mr. King misled the board about how Mr. Bolandi came to apply for the position?

And the same board meeting Mr. Bolandi lied to the board about not having any connection to the board or any board members?

And the same board meeting Castelli and O'Malley acted like they never heard of Mr. Bolandi before?

Mr. Bolandi is still working for Edison under Dr. O'Malley, negotiating the district's labor contracts. He will be for the next two months. I don't think he will have too much time to run our district. But then again, five board members have no problem with hiring questionable applicants.

Guest Raising the Titanic

The wrong info is that you got the Bernadette part wrong. I'm not her but I am a concerned parent that regularly attends board meetings. I am witnessing the district sink faster than the Titanic., all over purely political reasons. If I have to hear Leadbeater say one more time how he's going to fix the school district so that he can be mayor, I think I will vomit. At this rate, there won't be a school district left. Our children are being made pawns for purely political reasons. What King, O'Malley, Leadbeater and Plaugic are doing is deplorable. Hiring an interim superintendent with direct ties to Mr. O'Malley is wrong. Playing ignorance about it is inexcusable.

The board meeting you are referring to, is that the same board meeting that was held specifically to hire a firm to conduct the superintendent search?

And the same board meeting that Mr. Bolandi was presented to the board as A candidate (and not THE ONLY candidate) for interim superintendent without being on the advertised agenda?

And the same board meeting Mr. King misled the board about how Mr. Bolandi came to apply for the position?

And the same board meeting Mr. Bolandi lied to the board about not having any connection to the board or any board members?

And the same board meeting Castelli and O'Malley acted like they never heard of Mr. Bolandi before?

Mr. Bolandi is still working for Edison under Dr. O'Malley, negotiating the district's labor contracts. He will be for the next two months. I don't think he will have too much time to run our district. But then again, five board members have no problem with hiring questionable applicants.

Actually what the Fab5 are doing is raising the Titanic. This ship has been sinking for a long time only you and all your cronies are so caught up in getting whatever you and your friends want that you lost sight of the target......THE KIDS! JOBS, HIGH SALARIES, NO ACCOUNTABILITY, UNPRODUCTIVE WORKERS,.....etc. HOW about test scores.....they have been consistantly DOWN. Enough with your BULL$hit, the problems which you and all the other MONEY MONGERS are blind to will be FIXED by the "FAB5". THE GRAVY TRAIN IS OVER, GET ON OR GET RUN OVER!!!!! You say this interim has ties to mr. Omalley.....no ties, the only thing is the guy was the interim where his cousin got hired as the Super.....hired by the EDISON BOARD of EDUCATION...not Mr. Bolandi! Not even close to the hiring practices which have tarnished this district for years. Just like when Mr. Degesere said he knew nothing about **** ****, not who she was, who she was related to or even where she was from.... turns out she was his best ***** ***l ********** daughter, his Italian niece, nice right. You can write a 500 page novel with the nonsense that has gone on here, but it was accepted....right? When all is said and done you same people that are bitching about mr. bolandi and how he came about and WHO knew him will be the same people trying to take credit for how he has made the district soooooo much better!!!!!

Edited by KOTW
Content.

Guest Medicine Man

SHAME ON THESE FIVE.

It appears the "old guards" don't like swallowing the medicine they have been dishing out for years! By the way I was at the meeting when totally unannounced a man by the name of Dick Rosenberg was introduced as Dr. Lusaka friend and hired on the spot as interim super to replace her. there is too many people with short term memory.

SHAME ON THESE FIVE.

It is a disgrace that any elected official in any government would walk out of a meeting because they were unhappy with the voting outcome. This is a democracy and you were out voted 5-4. Man up and be a professional and show the people that voted for you that you can accept any decision even if it does not go your way. When you had the majority I never did recall seeing the other members in the minority that received unfavorable votes walk out of a meeting because they did not have a vote go their way. It is a disgrace that anyone can even justify such behavior.

Guest Guestimate

It is a disgrace that any elected official in any government would walk out of a meeting because they were unhappy with the voting outcome. This is a democracy and you were out voted 5-4. Man up and be a professional and show the people that voted for you that you can accept any decision even if it does not go your way. When you had the majority I never did recall seeing the other members in the minority that received unfavorable votes walk out of a meeting because they did not have a vote go their way. It is a disgrace that anyone can even justify such behavior.

How do you know they were not happy with the voting outcome? Their walking out may have been a protest of the procedure that occurred prior to the matter getting to a vote. Refusing to vote or walking out of a meeting is a valid means of protest.

• 6 months later...
Guest Disturbed Parent

As a parent of Kearny school, I believe Bolandi is a BAD choice for Kearny. He resigned from East Winsor School Dist. cited health reasons. Then, he went to Edison school dist. to be an interim superintendent. Feb. 2011, he applied for a permanent school superintendent position with Indian River School Dist. in Florida.

I have dealt with him to resolve school issues concerning an arrogant and in my opinion, abusive teacher, I have found Mr. Bolandi is arrogant and incompetent. It is bad for Kearny. Why kearny residents pay a hefty property tax to support such a person?

As a parent of Kearny school, I believe Bolandi is a BAD choice for Kearny. He resigned from East Winsor School Dist. cited health reasons. Then, he went to Edison school dist. to be an interim superintendent. Feb. 2011, he applied for a permanent school superintendent position with Indian River School Dist. in Florida.

I have dealt with him to resolve school issues concerning an arrogant and in my opinion, abusive teacher, I have found Mr. Bolandi is arrogant and incompetent. It is bad for Kearny. Why kearny residents pay a hefty property tax to support such a person?

Maybe Mr. Bolandi is a professional educator who is doing what is best for the school system - not giving enough attention to your petty problem? The Kearny Schools have bigger issues to solve and I'm glad he's not wasting his time and energy on your personal problems. Have a nice day!

You gave birth to a Kearny School? That must have hurt!

Guest Fact of Time

SHAME ON THESE FIVE.

Well sooner or later the TRUTH always comes out. Let's see, the above post was back in June. We are now in January, almost 7 months after the above Bull$hit was posted by a fat, stupid BOE member, no names mentioned. Let us address each statement:

1- "applaud those members that left the meeting", McDonald, Doran, Schalago and Viscuso. So they walked out and did not vote on the hiring of our current interim super Mr. Bolandi-- well that turned out bad, Mr. Bolandi turns out is the Most highly desired Super in the State and already has Kearny back on track and staff feeling good about the disrict. Fact 1, strike 1 to the Foolish4

2- "the five members that remained are a disgrace", wow, tough words, well it turns out the 5 that remained are really FABULOUS as accused! Seems they made the RIGHT choice! what a disgrace :)

3- Mr. Bolandi was "forced down the throats", well now seems strange at this point in time because it appears he has been well received by staff and town residents, amazing.

4- he was only hired because he is a friend of BOE member Robert Omalley's cousin, well as that turns out not to be true either...Mr.Bolandi was the interim super at Edison where he was replaced by Omalley's cousin when Dr. Omalley was hired full time as edison's Super, hired by the Edison BOE.

5- The current BOE majority is only about "jobs and favors for friends", wow, wrong again...amazing. The current BOE majority has and is only hiring QUALIFIED people......NO FRIENDS, NO FAMILY, that is a hard thing for some people to handle.

6- $5000.00 a week.....Mr. Bolandi is only getting $645.00 a day.... a steal when you realize that the 2 dumb asses before him were getting a combined $1,600.00 a day and doing nothing! So do the math, if Mr. Bolandi is in office all week (5 days) because he only gets paid the days he works.. that would be $3225.00. Mutt and Jeff were getting $8000.00 per week. savings almost $5000.00 per week, not to mention someone who knows what they're doing.

So those FAb5 who "practiced accountibility and fiscal responsibility" THANK GOD and the VOTERS they're there, finally people who are doing what they said they would do!!!!!!!

If that is shame....than give me 4 more of them!!!!

Guest Inquiring Resident

I think we need more information regarding your claim of an "abusive teacher" in order to judge whether your criticism of the Superintendent has merit. What was the complaint? What was his response to you?

There are quite a few Superintendents who retire and then work as an "interim" while a district is doing a search. Usually the stay is 6 to 12 months until a permanent candidate is found. Why is that bad?

As to Florida, he's moving there because that is where his son lives.

Enough with the petty criticism and gamesmanship. Try to be constructive in your criticism.

• 1 month later...
Guest Marcy than and now

And the same board meeting Mr. King misled the board about how Mr. Bolandi came to apply for the

position?

It is amazing what happens over time. The union rep that posted this, or should i say the concerned parent that attends board meetings, many months ago, now smoozes mr. Bolandi disgustingly! He is now the best thing since sliced bread. She sold out her fellow comrades for a deal that benefited her. Just like what was written about certain board members above, nothing but bs unless there is something in it for

the selfisher people.

Guest School Watch

Well sooner or later the TRUTH always comes out. Let's see, the above post was back in June. We are now in January, almost 7 months after the above Bull$hit was posted by a fat, stupid BOE member, no names mentioned. Let us address each statement:

1- "applaud those members that left the meeting", McDonald, Doran, Schalago and Viscuso. So they walked out and did not vote on the hiring of our current interim super Mr. Bolandi-- well that turned out bad, Mr. Bolandi turns out is the Most highly desired Super in the State and already has Kearny back on track and staff feeling good about the disrict. Fact 1, strike 1 to the Foolish4

2- "the five members that remained are a disgrace", wow, tough words, well it turns out the 5 that remained are really FABULOUS as accused! Seems they made the RIGHT choice! what a disgrace smile.gif

3- Mr. Bolandi was "forced down the throats", well now seems strange at this point in time because it appears he has been well received by staff and town residents, amazing.

4- he was only hired because he is a friend of BOE member Robert Omalley's cousin, well as that turns out not to be true either...Mr.Bolandi was the interim super at Edison where he was replaced by Omalley's cousin when Dr. Omalley was hired full time as edison's Super, hired by the Edison BOE.

5- The current BOE majority is only about "jobs and favors for friends", wow, wrong again...amazing. The current BOE majority has and is only hiring QUALIFIED people......NO FRIENDS, NO FAMILY, that is a hard thing for some people to handle.

6- $5000.00 a week.....Mr. Bolandi is only getting $645.00 a day.... a steal when you realize that the 2 dumb asses before him were getting a combined $1,600.00 a day and doing nothing! So do the math, if Mr. Bolandi is in office all week (5 days) because he only gets paid the days he works.. that would be $3225.00. Mutt and Jeff were getting $8000.00 per week. savings almost $5000.00 per week, not to mention someone who knows what they're doing.

So those FAb5 who "practiced accountibility and fiscal responsibility" THANK GOD and the VOTERS they're there, finally people who are doing what they said they would do!!!!!!!

If that is shame....than give me 4 more of them!!!!

Great Post