Tops Diner

Guest consumer

Guest consumer

Everyone knows this diners good food and large portions. What happened? Cheap and Greety! Is it the Food Network reporting how good the food is. What made them go cheap to give patrons smaller portions, After all Tops had alot of loyal people who ate there several times a week.Another thing is Tops in Harrison or East Newark? Why Harrison because they do not want associate with East Newark they do like Newark and they do not want to connect it to Newark.

Guest Guestimate

Everyone knows this diners good food and large portions. What happened? Cheap and Greety! Is it the Food Network reporting how good the food is. What made them go cheap to give patrons smaller portions, After all Tops had alot of loyal people who ate there several times a week.Another thing is Tops in Harrison or East Newark? Why Harrison because they do not want associate with East Newark they do like Newark and they do not want to connect it to Newark.

Is that supposed to be English?

• 2 months later...

Tops is expensive on dinner items, Diners are a good value, But the owners of

Tops are greety, There are not hurting,Why rip off loyal customers?

I don't know what you're talking about. Whenever I'm faced with the prospect of going to either Tops or Arlington Diner, I go with Tops. They have better quality food and similar sized portions for the same price I'd pay at Arlington. Also, Tops is cleaner and has better drink options. And even if both places have terrible service (they are diners), at least Tops' servers don't look like they're just minutes from running to the bathroom to slit their wrists. Personally, I don't do diners as much as used to (smoking ban 4/2006), but I do go to Tops about 8 times a year, and I haven't noticed any greedy tendencies.

For the record, too, I realize these aren't the only two diners in existence. I'm just using Alrington as a foil here because it's the closest established diner in the area. In the past, when my options were open to places outside of Kearny, Harrison and NA, I would go to Colonial or Schuyler. And if it was the morning, I'd go to the Greeks.

I think what a lot of people are experiencing now (more than ever) are the effects of chain restaurant pricing on our frugality. People often compare the prices at large corporate outfits to those at small-business restaurants. That's silly, though, because small restaurants (although they don't use the freshest ingredients) are always, always spending more out of pocket for their food products. And you can be sure that while your steak may not be local or never-frozen at a place like Tops, it's not a prepackaged dish, loaded with preservatives like the steak at Applebee's.

If you want some honest advice, though, here it is: Stick to take-out restaurants that have small dining areas. They are often hidden treasures with incredibly affordable prices. Italian take-out restaurants always have $9-14 entrees that are bursting with flavor and don't skimp on size. You may have to deal with bright rooms and neon signs, swinging doors and noisy registers, but it's really romantic if you just accept it and take it all in. Another plus, these places don't tend to have liquor licenses, making them BYOB.

I highly recommend our area's newest Indian Restaurant: Kamal Palace. It's not like the take-out place I just described. Their dining area is ample and serene, with the scent Indian herbs and spices filling the room. The menu is affordable (especially their vegetarian dishes) and nobody is going to look at you funny if you don't pronounce something correctly. The servers are very helpful and will answer your questions in fluent English. What's most unique about Kamal is the way the food is served and eaten. Because so much of this type of Indian dining is picking up food with soft, flat bread (Americans, feel free to mix with rice and eat with a spoon or fork), it's easy (and encouraged) to share with your friends and try multiple dishes in one sitting. For heat-seekers, I recommend the Aloo Chole. It's chickpeas and potatoes in a thick, spicy tomato-based sauce (I think you can order it with lamb or chicken, too). And don't forget to start your meal with a few orders of Samosas; they're the best I've had anywhere (that's including Newark Ave and Edison). Bring some IPAs with you. This place is BYOB.

Remember, though, ALWAYS TIP. Just because you're in a takeout restaurant, that does not mean somebody is not waiting on you. If somebody comes to take your order, waits on you and serves your food, it doesn't matter that they're also the person at the register. They've earned a tip. Of course, if you order at the counter and then pick up your food, you have no obligations. Maybe throw a buck or two in their tip jar. Seriously people, if you can't afford to tip when you go out, stay home. I know that sounds harsh; but if you think you're on a budget, think about the waiters and waitresses who depend on your tips. Their minimum wage is $2.13! And seriously, at least (very least) 15%.

Guest dogretired

Never, ever had a problem of any kind with Tops. Have been going there for many years. After the renovation prices did go up but the portions are still very generous. Just check out people leaving the place, many will have a brown bag to carry home. Tops is located in East Newark, look at Google if you don't believe me. Try a sample of their large dessert menu if you have the room. Worst diner in the area is the Lyndhurst Diner. Service like they are doing you a Huge Favor. Stale cake and poor service. Stay away.

• 1 month later...
Guest Arlington Diner Fan Here

Arlington Diner Vs Topps (add Schuyler Diner, the Greeks and the Stack)

I eat 2 eggs over easy, ww toast, bacon and potatoes served with hot tea and a small oj.

I have had all 5 in the last month. Arlington Diner was the top rated of the four. Topps and Schuyler Diner were neck and neck for last place. Hey the breakfast was good at all five, but my companion- didnt order breakfast and there were issues. Topps- breakfast was good, but my companion's meal was very expensive (not surf and turk either!). Sckuyler my companion's lunch was not good. At the stack my companions dinner was passable. At the Greeks the best breakfast-but it didnt have anything on the menu that made my companion happy.

Arlington Diner did a good job at a good price for both of us.